closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Amphibia...thoughts and pics

My first Amphibia...thoughts and pics

Hello all,

There seems to be quite a following for these cheap as chips Russian divers so I thought I'd pick one up to see what you get for just £50 delivered! I was also pretty intrigued by the two-piece caseback design and the rather whacky looking Russian bezel and case. Having 6.75'' wrists I went for the smallest case, the 420, which was also quite a novelty having just 18mm lugs (all my divers are 20mm). I also went for one of the more subdued dials, free from submarines, seagulls or Wes Anderson references

Well I've had it for three weeks now so thought I'd stick up a few thoughts and pics. There's been plenty written about the background and history of these before so this will just be my own simple thoughts on the watch itself. Anyway, here is what I've made of it so far...

I'll say for starters that this is turning out to be a fantastic little bit of kit. It's been swimming with me several times in the last 3 weeks with no issues whatsoever, and the timekeeping on the Vostok 2416B movement has been excellent so far. When it arrived it ran +10sec in the first day. I wore it constantly for the first week and since then every other day or so, never letting the reserve run down. When I measured it over this last week it gained just 20 seconds (or just under +3 secs per day) which I am very pleased with! It's still early days but from what I've read these movements are solid workhorses and can take a beating over the years, so I'll keep my fingers crossed

The case is solidly put together and definitely inspires confidence (I've been chucking mine around without any thought to babying it). I wasn't entirely sold on the shiny bezel at first but I've definitely come around to its quirky Russian charms...

Fit and finish wise, despite some minor points it's actually very good. If that much loved and much hated phrase 'tool-watch' was ever to apply, it would be here! I wouldn't say 'rough-and-ready' though, as that would seem to do it a disservice. It is actually a very pretty watch up close. The case is nicely polished and all the edges are nicely finished and rounded (no sharp bits) thought if you really look for it the lugs come out at slightly odd angles to each other, whilst still being bang on 18mm apart. I can't really capture it on a photo, they just aren't perfectly uniform. Nothing you'd notice in passing on the wrist (or off it really, for that matter) but the imperfection in symmetry is there. Also the dial is very nicely printed (I love the Cyrillic text), but under a loupe there are quite a lot of dimples and white 'spots' in the finish that I mistook for dust under the crystal at first. All-in-all very crisp though!

Here is the dial...

And some unforgiving macros where you should be able to see the little dotted imperfections...

There are a couple of little blemishes on the hands you may have noticed as well, but again nothing that you can see without a loupe or macro lens. For me, with it's 200m water resistance at £50 I can forgive these blemishes where I'd return a more expensive piece.

The thickness of those big blobs of lume looked really promising! Unfortunately they are quite deceptive. Here is a progressive lume shot with a GS2000 (left) and a PRS-18Q (right) with their Superluminova for comparison...

As you can see, the Amphibia in the middle didn't make it past 16 minutes In fairness these were charged with a 500 lumen light for a couple of minutes and I've seen the Amphibia perform a little better after actual sunlight exposure, but all my previous reviews have been done this way so fair is fair I'm afraid Mr. Amphibia! I've still found it functional when moving outdoors to indoors, or reaching into cupboards and crawlspaces, but unfortunately this lume certainly won't be waking up to breakfast with you after a long night!

Now what had interested me before I picked this up was how the Amphibia was achieving that 200m WR. Here is a shot of the caseback...

...the screw-down ring with the notches to fit the caseback tool is actually separate to the main caseback. I've highlighted these two separate parts in the next photo. This main caseback (highlighted in BLUE) simply presses down onto a wide and flat gasket and it has two little tabs to keep it from moving, which seat into little notches between the lugs. From here the screw ring (highlighted in RED) fits on top and screws down, pressing the main caseback firmly onto the flat gasket. The more pressure the tighter the seal.

The crown features another flat gasket which screws down tightly onto the tube. Here is the crown screwed and unscrewed...

In the unscrewed position the crown 'wobbles' as the stem features a hidden clutch. With very gentle pulling pressure the crown couples and can be wound normally. When you release pressure the clutch de-couples again and the crown can wobble freely. This means that when the crown is screwed down the crown and case are 'de-coupled' from the stem and movement, providing a little more protection from shock damage. It's all very clever!

Now for the size. In most of the descriptions I've read the 420 case is listed as 40mm diameter and 46mm lug to lug, whereas I've found mine is slightly smaller at 39mm diameter and 45mm lug to lug. The lug width is also a diminutive 18mm so the watch wears pretty small in comparison to other 39/40mm divers. Here is a wrist shot comparison on my 6.75'' wrist to give you an idea of size...

Clockwise from top left - Amphibia (39mm diameter, 18mm lugs), PRS-18Q (39mm diameter, 20mm lugs), PRS-82 (40mm diameter, 20mm lugs), Seiko SNK (37mm diameter, 18mm lugs):

Here is a top down shot of the Amphibia between a CWC G10 (left) and the PRS-18Q (right):

...to my eyes here the 420 case Amphibia seems closer to the 36mm field watch than a fellow 39mm diver. In part I think this might be an optical illusion caused by the shiny bezel, as I've seen Amphibias with Seiko-style bezel mods that appear to wear larger.

And it certainly is shiny, that bezel! I also found the lack of numerals threw me a bit, but it didn't take long to get used to those little circles and it was timing my dinner in no time...

This is a friction bezel, as opposed to a clicky, and the tension on mine is pretty much spot on. It isn't going to be turning anywhere on its own, but it can still be rotated quickly without fingertip-tearing effort using this reasonably grippy bezel edge...

Anyway, back on the topic of size and it's in profile that the Amphibia begins to make it's presence known...not least of all because of a rather lovely high-domed acrylic crystal. I'm a sucker for domed acrylic so the Vostok scores a lot of plus points with me on this front. Here is a comparison again between a CWC G10 (left) and the PRS-18Q (right)...

At approximately 14mm thick I wouldn't say the Amphibia is tall for its diameter but rather it can feel a little top heavy for its narrow lug width. The supplied bracelet is about as cheap and chintzy as the surprisingly kitsch Vostok display box so mine went straight onto an 18mm NATO. You may have noticed from previous photos that I also added shoulderless springbars. On the NATO the Amphibia rides nice and comfortably although if I had the choice I think I'd prefer 20mm lugs on this just to give the head that little bit of extra stability. Here are a couple of shots showing the height off the wrist and the profile of that domed acrylic...

Whilst we're talking NATOs here's the Amphibia on a few different colours...

So that's about everything I've got to say I think. As usual I'll be forgetting something, but my overall impression is that this is a pretty cracking 200m automatic diver for not much money at all. For carefree knocking about at the beach or pool they make great little beaters and I doubt very much that this will be my last Amphibia...I think I'll have to pick one up with a date function, despite the fact that they don't have a quick set date and I also saw a photo somewhere of a 420 case that had been bead-blasted which looked pretty darn smart. At this price it would be rude not to get the tools out and have a tinker!

Here are a couple more outdoor shots to finish on...

Anyway, I hope someone finds this post useful!

Cheers for now!

Uke

EDIT:

A quick update after some simple modding. I fitted a plain black bezel and nickel hands from Meranom to give it a bit of a smarter look.

On a few different coloured straps...

On the wrist...

I much prefer the silver seconds hand but I think I might actually be missing the shiny dot bezel! I've been toying with the idea of taking the regular dot bezel, painting in the red dots black and luming the 12 marker. I did a quick photoshop mockup...

Might work? I'll see how I get on with the black bezel for a little while I think. Other things worth a mention - I've decided at 18mm lugs the 420 just doesn't sit right on a NATO (Perlon all the way!), over a year on and the case is still water tight, movement still keeping around +3 secs per day :)

Cheers for now!

Uke
    Last edited by Uke1; 5th November 2017 at 03:50. Reason: Replacing dead Photobucket links

Excellent, excellent post. Many thanks for taking the time.

Excellent review, great photos and an entertaining read! Thanks, I very much enjoyed that.

My personal preference is for the 100 cased Amphibias, as I suspect that the 420 case is too small for me. However, having read your review and seen your photos, I might have to try a 420.

-wotsch

Love those amphibias! Really have to get one, can i ask where you purchased yours?

Fantastic write up btw, Thanks for taking the time

Great write up and some cracking pics.

Great review. I'd like to get the Steve Zissou version one day.

A very good review thanks for taking the time.

Nicely done. I've been wearing Amphibias and Kommandirskies on and off for over 20 years - currently have just a blue 'scuba dude'. I prefer them on one-piece nylon straps rather than Nato.

Journeyman
    Fantastic post OP, I'm currently awaiting my first amphibia, it should actually be delivered tomorrow! Mine is similar to yours, but with the "dive dude" face. I'm looking forward to it even more now I've read/seen this!

Also, for those wondering where to get them, I got mine from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/zenitar-store, and from what I've read he is one of the go to guys for Vostoks, sent straight from the factory. You even get to track your parcel all the way from Russia!

Master
    Some great pictures. Thanks for the write up.

Brilliant review, great photos. Thanks!

Craftsman
    Echoing the above posts, wonderful review. Well done.

A well written, useful, and informative post, with excellent comparisons.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

An excellent review. You should look at getting a new modded bezel and insert so you can get over how shiny the present one is!

Master
    What a superb review, I dived weekly for over 10 years with mine and it never let me down, it just shows how robust they are.
    The 420 is a cracker but for me I wished it had 20mm lugs, hope you realise they're addictive ;)

Craftsman
    Excellent post showing off an often underrated watch. I do think no collection is complete without an Amphibia, and I'm really interested in your findings on the timekeeping. Mine doesn't get that much wear and I have to say the timekeeping is a bit variable. I don't mind as it's such a cracking watch but maybe I should give it a few days together on the wrist and see how it does.

That's an excellent review - many thanks for making the effort. I flipped my first Amfibia as there were some metal facets on the dial I took an instant dislike to and I hadn't really understood their effect from the Ebay photos. I gave it to a mate who lives in Stockholm and it gets more attention than his Hamilton - including from quite a serious local collector.

I've just received a blue-dialled one this week and I'm delighted with it.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Great write up,I had a similar one and it was impressive for the money

Master
    Blog Entries
    I forgot how good your reviews are. Thanks for posting :)

First class write-up, with superb photography - thanks for sharing.

Fifty quid??? I think I'm in!

Thank you for a really superb review

Looks like Im going to have to buy another 420 now

Craftsman
    What a brilliantly detailed post - and all for a £50 watch

Can wait to see you write about a £5000 one!

Master
    Excellent review of a great watch

Enjoyable read and a nice detailed view of the watch. I've had similarly positive thoughts about my scuba dude which I bought a couple of years ago and which runs at +2spd.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, it makes the effort well worth it to know people enjoy the end product

Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    Love those amphibias! Really have to get one, can i ask where you purchased yours?
    I got mine from zenitar, the same as sugarytea did as quoted below...

Quote Originally Posted by sugarytea View Post
    ...Also, for those wondering where to get them, I got mine from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/zenitar-store, and from what I've read he is one of the go to guys for Vostoks, sent straight from the factory. You even get to track your parcel all the way from Russia!
    ...I read the same good things. They honour the factory warranty and mine arrived in just under two weeks if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    ...You should look at getting a new modded bezel and insert so you can get over how shiny the present one is!
    I've been thinking about possible mods for my next Amphibia but haven't settled on swapping out the bezel yet. It looks like you add a lot of height and lose quite a bit of the domed crystal's profile? Can anyone with a modded bezel chime in on this? At the moment I'm thinking bead-blasting or brushing the entire case and bezel to tone down the shine is the way forward!

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    ...The 420 is a cracker but for me I wished it had 20mm lugs, hope you realise they're addictive ;)
    Exactly my thoughts. 20mm lugs would make this wear just about spot on for my wrist. The 18mm is fine, just not perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I forgot how good your reviews are. Thanks for posting :)
    Ah thanks so much mate, that comment made my day

Quote Originally Posted by Uke1 View Post
    I've been thinking about possible mods for my next Amphibia but haven't settled on swapping out the bezel yet. It looks like you add a lot of height and lose quite a bit of the domed crystal's profile? Can anyone with a modded bezel chime in on this? At the moment I'm thinking bead-blasting or brushing the entire case and bezel to tone down the shine is the way forward!
    There are quite a few 3rd party bezels available. The most popular are the "Boris" or "Murphy" bezels which you can pick up for about £20. They're also the thinnest, measuring just 3.6mm thick compared to the standard bezels 3.2mm so you won't be losing hardly any of the crystal's profile. For a type 420 case like yours, ensure you get the one with a lip or it will catch on the crown: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-...item43d5bdb23b

The Amphibia case is stainless steel so will brush/bead blast easily, but the standard bezel is chrome plated brass so once again you'd be much better off buying a modded bezel.

Here are a few of mine with modded bezels. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    There are quite a few 3rd party bezels available. The most popular are the "Boris" or "Murphy" bezels which you can pick up for about £20. They're also the thinnest, measuring just 3.6mm thick compared to the standard bezels 3.2mm so you won't be losing hardly any of the crystal's profile. For a type 420 case like yours, ensure you get the one with a lip or it will catch on the crown: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-...item43d5bdb23b

The Amphibia case is stainless steel so will brush/bead blast easily, but the standard bezel is chrome plated brass so once again you'd be much better off buying a modded bezel.

Here are a few of mine with modded bezels. Have fun!
    That's really helpful thanks! I can handle losing 0.6mm Well that's opened up a world of possibilities now! Good call on the chrome plated bezel, I'd forgotten about that. Now I think about it the bead-blasted 420 I saw had a replacement bezel. Although there are also a few nice pics from people who have stripped their bezels back to the copper and they look pretty nice too. Ah well, time to get tinkering!

Yours all look great. I particularly love the 2nd from bottom with the fully red bezel...what case is that if you don't mind me asking? It looks nice and compact.

Another thanks for the review. Great photos and you can tell you've put a lot of effort into it.
    I need a holiday watch and this ticks all of the boxes.
    Hope you do some more reviews!!

What a great review, thanks for taking the time. I agree with you on all points, especially with regard to the lug width. I think the small lug effect is even more pronounced because the spring bars are so low between the lugs. This makes it seem like the watch head floats above the strap. I'm wearing my simple dial, no date 420 on a perlon as I type, and to me that's one of the best combinations.

I particularly love the 2nd from bottom with the fully red bezel...what case is that if you don't mind me asking? It looks nice and compact.
    It's a 470 case although they stopped making them in the early 90s. Hand winding only as well. There's a good guide here to case types: http://www.periandtang.com/pdfs/amphibia.pdf

Blog Entries
    A very good review. Thank you for sharing that and doing the excellent photos.

Although there are also a few nice pics from people who have stripped their bezels back to the copper and they look pretty nice too. Ah well, time to get tinkering!
    That's the nice thing about these watches: I read this and decided to give it a try. Added a vintage strap and there you go:

Thanks for taking the time to do this in-depth review.

It takes a fair amount of commitment to spend so much time on producing such an interesting and helpful read.

Mitch

Great review, I have a real soft spot for the Amphibia.
    Last edited by dowsing; 14th July 2015 at 10:28.

Fantastically written!

I've always had a soft spot for Vostok watches. You can't really go wrong with case shapes, dial colours etc and with the amount of upgrades/mods you really are spoilt for choice

I recently sold 3 old soviet amphibians on eBay, this post has convinced me to buy a new one from zenitar along with a Boris Bezel

This'll be my fifth one!

Excellent post! Very good to read, and it's pushed me to get my Kommandirskie back out of the draw and give it a go. Was close to going on eBay actually, but maybe it can last a little longer in the collection. Just find it a bit small these days.

these are amazing value!

Awesome post and review! Love the pictures. Heading over to google right away to find out where can pick one of these up. Thanks for posting

If Vostok made lager, it would probably be the best lager in the world, etc. I love the Amphibias

Great write up and some fantastic pics.

This is certainly on of the best watch photos I've seen posted on here. There's something about the reaction this would provoke if it were any other watch left like that, but that's exactly what these were meant for. They are also cheap enough not to have to worry too much.

Excellent review and pics! Vostok's are fun watches. I have a blue scuba dude with 090 case and rubber strap. For the price you can't go wrong.

Master
    This thread inspired me to go and buy one from the eBay seller recommended above/below and, after a couple of weeks wait, the postman finally brought it today. You can't argue with £50 for some cheap Russian fun (as the actress said to the bishop) and I would echo the overall sentiment of the OP's review. My watch (same model as the OPs) came on a metal bracelet which feels pretty cheap and nasty so that's come straight off and been replaced by a NATO. Can't say I find the 18mm lugs off-putting but the quality of the spring bars doesn't inspire confidence - they don't look as robust as the ones in the OP's photo - so I will probably also replace these over the next few days. I didn't expect the crown stem to feel quite so wobbly when I unscrewed and disengaged it; bit of a culture shock if you're used to a reassuringly solid 'click' from your Swiss favourite and you'd be forgiven for thinking something had broken and expecting the whole crown mechanism to come away in your hand. All that said, however, the case has a good weight to it, the dial is well finished and I'm looking forward to baptising it tomorrow with a morning swim in the Med.

SGR

Master
    This has inspired me to buy a Seiko inserted bezel for my 420268. Pepsi should look nice, with the blue and red detail.

This is a stock pic- will post a proper one when it arrives.

Nice job!

I swear by them - i've had a few over the years.

One i had eventually (due to zero maintenance) leaked on the crown gasket (a clue is it gets stiff setting the time) and the stem rusted up solid in the tube

this of course stopped any more water getting into the case and a good clean and a replacement crown and stem sorted it out

movements are cheap as chip as are cases, bezels, etc... no need to service them - run them into the ground...

though not literally like this guy did:

What a superb post. Just ordered one myself of the back of this.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

That's an excellent review, and really useful comparison photos. Thanks!

Ian

Journeyman
    Nice review. I picked up a scuba dude with the date window a few months back. I've not worn it much, mainly because I find the lack of a quickset date a pain when I do come to wear it. Might dig it out at the weekend though.

Great review, thank you.

just seen this. brilliant post op, great write up and pics. thanks for doing this.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Got back from my hols yesterday to find this waiting for me

Off with the bracelet immediately and on to a mil strap

I wouldn't usually have considered this dial but now that I am wearing it see the appeal, so a big thanks for posting this review

Cheers!

Ian