closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Welcome to my mil watch and G10 obsession - image heavy

Welcome to my mil watch and G10 obsession - image heavy

Hi all, this is my first proper thread.

Browsing the forum I found Uke1's thread regarding his first G10 and became interested enough to try and find out more.

I came across Tom91's thread asking about Johnson's of Leeds as a possible source. I'd shopped there for years, but had never been interested enough or knew enough about their watches to take a proper look. Well I have done now and they have a nice selection of G10's and other watches. Barry, I think he's the owner, is a keen collector and seems to know his stuff.

I can thoroughly recommend Johnsons. Nice gear and no hard sell. They have all sorts of surplus gear including old radios and plenty of clothing. I managed to get a telepraph key and an inclinometer as part of a deal. Well worth a call and a visit.

Here's a quick pic of the small selection they have on their counter top.

and some gear

I purchased an army g10 1991.

Then I found a 2014 navigator on a different forum and another G10 on yet another forum.
    The G10 is a 97 army model.

Still waiting for the navigator to arrive, but here's a pic.

Well I had to go back to Johnsons to see what else they had. I fancied a navy G10. I found 2 I liked, one standard (89) and one which has the lume (90) covered apparently to reduce visibility at sea. Couldn't decide so was forced to liberate them both.

I was lucky enough that they had just taken receipt the day before of a fatboy 82 which I had to have.

Pic of all 4. Can you spot the fatbay?

I now have to stop. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to my new found madness.

I have bought clocks, other watches and even digital carriage clocks due to my forum wanderings and late night good ideas!!

Thank you for welcoming me to the obsession. :)
    Last edited by tasum; 31st May 2015 at 10:31.

Nice collection. I think they're a great watch. I had one issued to me...but (sadly) had to give it back...

They're not silly money; treat yourself. :)

What branch were you in?

Blog Entries
    Great post, always enjoy reading threads like these

Haha, not sure if I should say 'sorry' or 'you're welcome' It's easy to get sucked in isn't it. G10's are like quicksand, just don't struggle! Next time I'm in Leeds I'll have to take a browse of their wares, thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Uke1 View Post
    Haha, not sure if I should say 'sorry' or 'you're welcome' It's easy to get sucked in isn't it. G10's are like quicksand, just don't struggle! Next time I'm in Leeds I'll have to take a browse of their wares, thanks for the post.
    Thank you for paving the way lol. I managed to stay out of the shops and off the forums mostly over the weekend, so the treatment is working.

Still couldn't resist a £15 mil pulsar in a charity shop. So the illness is still there.

Thank you.

What makes you think that Pulsar is a military watch? Are there markings on the caseback and, if so, can you post a picture, please?
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    What makes you think that Pulsar is a military watch? Are there markings on the caseback and, if so, can you post a picture, please?
    Hi, nice to see you again. It's a military style watch. I don't think it's an issued watch. I will have a look at the back, but from memory it's the usual stainless steel back. Alternatively, I'm guessing you could always have a little google trawl to satisfy your curiosity. Hope that's ok. :)

Quote Originally Posted by tasum View Post
    Thank you for paving the way lol. I managed to stay out of the shops and off the forums mostly over the weekend, so the treatment is working.

Still couldn't resist a £15 mil pulsar in a charity shop. So the illness is still there.

Thank you.
    Also realised I bought that little record ladies watch in the background for 50p from another charity shop. I really thought I'd got this under control, but clearly not. :(
    Last edited by tasum; 9th June 2015 at 08:56. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by tasum View Post
    Also realised I bought that little record ladies watch in the background for 50p from another charity shop. I really thought I'd got this under control, but clearly not. :(
    50p for that is an absolute find - is it a runner? Do you realise that Record was owned by Longines?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    50p for that is an absolute find - is it a runner? Do you realise that Record was owned by Longines?
    I did not!! It is a runner. I carefully took the back off to check the movement and it was running quite sweetley.

I was attracted by the face with the sub-second hand dial.

I will inform the wife. Thank you for the info. I'll post some proper pics on. :)

Please do. I'm not a Longines expert but in my view vintage Longines were up there with the likes of Omega et al but because of the brand strategy within Swatch they've since been forced downmarket. And don't forget that Record made one of the dirty dozen, the Watch, Wrist, Waterproof.

I used to go to Leeds a lot and always looked in Johnsons. Although there were a lot of watches on display, every time I expressed interest in a particularly good watch, I got the response "that one's not for sale" (I recall a lovely Lemania in particular).

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".