closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Deepsea D-Blue or Audermars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Ceramic Diver?

Journeyman

Rolex Deepsea D-Blue or Audermars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Ceramic Diver?

I would welcome your opinion and thoughts please - if you were able to choose between a Rolex Sea Dweller Deepsea D-blue or a Audermars Piguet RO Diver in ceramic, which one would you choose?

If it was a normal DSSD, I'd choose that.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    AP for certain.

Master
    I like them both but in all fairness I think the AP is a class above. Just my opinion.

Journeyman
    So 2 to one so far...thanks peeps...be interesting to see how this runs

Craftsman
    I'm for the deepsea.

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog View Post
    I like them both but in all fairness I think the AP is a class above. Just my opinion.
    AP maybe one of the trinity - but nobody does dive watches like Rolex ;). & only Omega or Blancpain come close for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Deepsea,

Is it me or is the ap just too industrial looking?

Craftsman
    Rolex every time.

What are the respective UK£ RRP's please?

Is one twice the price of the other?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Deepsea,

You're probably right but I'm drawn by the AP history, finishing, quality and style of the ROO....however, I'm torn by the Rolex!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    What are the respective UK£ RRP's please?

Is one twice the price of the other?
    The Rolex is £8250 RRP but a LONG waiting list as Rolex are limiting supply...so they are going for a £1000 premium on some sites...the AP is 'boutique only' and around £4k more I believe...

Thank you. So 50% more for the AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Deepsea,

I think I'm with you. I love the look of the AP and it feels like more of grail watch than the Deepsea but I do wonder whether day to day I would hanker after the more traditional yet still hugely impressive Rolex...........

So I think the plan should be buy the AP for the best used price you can find and then trade it for the Deepsea once you had the ownership experience. Only then will you truly know which one is for you.

If i were me I move down a size and just get the regular though still ceramic SD. If I had 'guns' like Sly or the Rock the I'd go the Deepsea.

Journeyman
    Thank you. So 50% more for the AP.
    Scrub that...just checked..the AP more like £15k!

For £15k I'd rather have a regular DSSD and a regular Royal Oak than either of the watches under consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by lst65 View Post
    Scrub that...just checked..the AP more like £15k!
    Yes, that's what i had originally thought.

I could state that an extra £7000 makes the comparison redundant but I don't want to be considered a wanna-be.

Journeyman
    Yes, that's what i had originally thought.

I could state that an extra £7000 makes the comparison redundant but I don't want to be considered a wanna-be.
    No that's a fair comment....it IS a big difference in price....looking at some Youtube footage of both is interesting. I tried the D-blue on in Bond Street several weeks ago (it was already sold) but not seen the ceramic diver in the flesh.

Deepsea Blue or even a regular DSSD over the AP.

I've owned both AP & Rolex, not those models, not really my thing, but as a comparison AP are superior in the finishing, and it is easy to see where the extra goes.
    As to movements, both have been utterly reliable for me.
    Which one would I choose? Easy the AP, they are pure class and that little bit more exclusive

Master
    AP my first choice.

Master
    I'm in a similar quandary. I have a ceramic SD, so the AP is currently talking to me more.

You can now get the AP diver with a sapphire back to see the wonderful movement. Price is around £13,000 but you can get a used example of the solid back model for between £9,500 and £11,000 if you shop around. I've seen some on Chrono for less then £9,000.

The DSSD has always been criticised for being too big and yet it's the same size as the AP, so maybe it's just because Rolex never made anything that large before that gets attention.

My current favourite is the AP Royal Oak 15400.......

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    +1 I much prefer a normal DSSD over either of the two suggested by the OP.

Craftsman
    Dssd for sure although, i too would vote for the regular version

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    You can now get the AP diver with a sapphire back to see the wonderful movement.
    I just tried one on at an AD last week and fell in love. I kind of like the idea of a solid back on a dive watch, but in this case I'm willing to make an exception

My current favourite is the AP Royal Oak 15400.......
    I love that one as well. I'm also a big fan of the Royal Oak Chronograph. It would be a tough decision between the chrono, diver and three-hander.

Master
    Ceramic diver for me. All the Offshore design looks but without the downside as regards scratches. Trouble is the AP is twice the price (at least) of the DSSD so it is not really a like for like. As others have mentioned you could get the DSSD plus something else for the price of the AP then it becomes a more difficult choice.

I do like both, but how can you compare when one costs double the other almost

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I do like both, but how can you compare when one costs double the other almost
    At least they are both marketed as diver watches, I wonder however how many AP owners would dare to venture into a swimming pool - much less the ocean with their AP, especially outside the warranty period. With the Rolex DSSD (or even a Submariner) you wouldn't hesitate. The AP wins though when it comes to bragging rights on a night out - which may be important to some.

The AP if money was out of the equation { - otherwise I'd go for an Omega Seamaster and pocket lots of change: but that's cheating, of course}.

Craftsman
    It would be the AP for me, love the Royal oak.........

DSSD for me

Master
    I have the D-blue and AP diver in steel.
    DSSD has more of a "tool" vibes and AP is "dressier".
    One thing that annoys me on AP is that it's really difficult to set the time spot on. The minute hand skips a little bit when you push the crown. I can live with it because I love the design but with DSSD you can set the time perfectly.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    The AP if money was out of the equation { - otherwise I'd go for an Omega Seamaster and pocket lots of change: but that's cheating, of course}.
    Money is not out of the question but I have downsized to upsize if that makes sense? I have traded in my Panerai 305 and Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (Titanium) to contribute to a very nice AP (grail watch) and want either another AP or the DSSD d-blue as my second watch. Owned, collected and chopped in many divers over the years! I now, after a long time in current job, am able to get the two Inwant as 'keepers!' ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    I have the D-blue and AP diver in steel.
    DSSD has more of a "tool" vibes and AP is "dressier".
    One thing that annoys me on AP is that it's really difficult to set the time spot on. The minute hand skips a little bit when you push the crown. I can live with it because I love the design but with DSSD you can set the time perfectly.
    Thanks very much...worrying about the AP?!

Apprentice
    I would choose Audemars Piguet since I personally think the brand is more sophisticated than Rolex

Master
    If you go for the AP ceramic diver then try and get the I series, the brushing on the bezel is more pronounced and IMO looks much much better. In addition it looks like that modelmay have been delisted so do not wait too long to buy one.

Master
    I series? Do you mean the 15703 steel back as opposed to the 15710 sapphire back?

Ceramic AP or Rolex? Mmmmmm let me think about it. No comparison in my eyes.

Master
    I series? Do you mean the 15703 steel back as opposed to the 15710 sapphire back?
    I will try and find where it was mentioned (just spent 30 mins looking) as I have been thinking about one myself for a while and as part of the 'research' I logged it in the back of my mind.

Craftsman
    Deep sea blue no hesitation

Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    I wonder however how many AP owners would dare to venture into a swimming pool - much less the ocean with their AP
    I'd be one of those few owners, it hasnt self desrtucted yet :p

Although, its safe to say "patina" on a sub is far more acceptible.

Back on topic

Given the OPs choice I'd go DSSD-Blue, its a nice watch in the flesh, and the dial saves it from looking like a Sub on steriods, and instead gives it a unique twist.

The ceramic diver is certainly a nice watch but i feel unlike the SS diver it will more likely go out of fashion, due to the bright colors and black case. So if your chopping in a few watches to fund it, its worth considering if you'd still wear it once the honeymoon period is over.

SS Diver on the otherhand works on the rubber, braclet or leather strap... So as long as you dont get bored with the head you can mix and match the watch to suit your taste/attire.
    The major downside to SS is the scratching of the case/bezel due to the sharp angles and graining, although this can be rectified at sevice (at significant cost)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Would have to be the deepsea for me out the two, I just don't seem to like the audemars looks.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by EJL25 View Post
    +1
    Its one of the most annoying things in the world if your a tad OCD like me, i tend to try and predict the jump and set the watch so, the minute hand will line up after the jump.... But even that is hit or miss.

Plus side, winding/setting date is far more refined feeling than the Rolex.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Valekk View Post
    Deep sea blue no hesitation
    This.

Master
    And of course the AP Diver pics in this thread has no ceramic parts. It's the black version with either orange of yellow inner bezel that's ceramic and it much more expensive than the steel version.

This is the ceramic version

And of course the AP Diver pics in this thread has no ceramic parts. It's the black version with either orange of yellow inner bezel that's ceramic and it much more expensive than the steel version.

My mistake. I posted a pic of the steel version I tried on last week. I somehow missed the word 'ceramic' in the thread title.

AP diver with orange accents is the ceramic model

AP diver with yellow accents is the forged carbon model

Both are now discontinued (carbon confirmed, ceramic I've only heard from forum and not an AD)

I've grown tired of the AP divers looks before owning one and have grown to love the DSSD, the Blue having that little something extra that appeals to me. So it would be the DSSD Blue - at least that's the choice I'd make this evening.
    Gray

Banned

Master
    Difficult choice for sure especially as I'm a big fan of both brands. For a diver I'd choose the Deep Sea as I think it's certainly the more hard wearing of the two. I'd then pick a ROC for dressier duties.