closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: JLC Geophysic 1958 vs Rolex Explorer 214270 - which would you choose?

JLC Geophysic 1958 vs Rolex Explorer 214270 - which would you choose?

This is purely idle fantasy as I'm not in a position to buy either of them, but it strikes me that these are two quite similar watches and I've not been able to find a comparison shoot-out on line so I wondered what the good folk of TZ might think about their relative merits. Both have an interesting history dating back to 1950's exploration and a tough, tool-ish expeditionary vibe. Both are also simple, elegant and could be great 'one watch' solutions. So which of them would you choose and why?
    Last edited by Rocket Man; 29th May 2015 at 21:19.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    This is purely idle fantasy as I'm not in a position to buy either of them, but it strikes me that these are two quite similar watches and I've not been able to find a comparison shoot-out on line so I wondered what the good folk of TZ might think about their relative merits. Both have an interesting history and a tough, tool-ish expeditionary vibe. Both are also simple, elegant and could be great 'one watch' solutions. So which of them would you choose and why?
    I like the 1958, but I don't trust JLC so I would choose the Rolex.

Craftsman
    Great comparison! This is a tough one. I love the explorer but I'm going to say JLC. It's special to me and I would be delighted to own one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    but I don't trust JLC
    Why do you not trust JLC?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I like the 1958, but I don't trust JLC so I would choose the Rolex.
    I think that's a fair point given the worrying number of after-sales / service related complaints which you just never hear with Rolex

Really prefer the proportions of the previous Explorer - so I couldn't own something that I'd always see some fault with.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I recently bought a Geophysic, and - as you'd expect - the Explorer was also a contender. There is no doubt that they are both great watches, and my choice was influenced by the rest of my collection, rather than choosing a 'one watch' solution.

However, additional factors that pointed me towards the Geophysic were:

- It's not a Rolex. Nothing against Rolex (I am an owner), but of course, the Geophysic is a far rarer sight.
    - It's probably more understated.
    - It has some interesting features - the lume dots on the rehaut, the cross-hair dial and the soft-iron cage.
    - Although understated, it has significant presence on the wrist, and the details take time to appreciate.

Overall, there is no duffer in this contest, but to me, the JLC is a bit more special.

Craftsman
    I was going to reply with some of my pictures of my Geophysic but I can't beat those pics!

For much the same reasons I bought the SS Geo - I have two Rolex (and a Tudor Pelagos) but also am a fan of the JLCs and in particular some of the re-editions (Polaris 68) - the Geo fitted my collection nicely and is a much rarer sight.

Never had any issues with any of my JLCs by the way.

Master
    PS I would never have considered these watches as similar!

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post

Look at that, just look at it

Master

Hopefully, this photo isn't an accurate representation of the dial and indices. However, if it is, buy the Rolex.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    PS I would never have considered these watches as similar!
    +1. I didn't / don't see them as obviously similar.

Bit of a heart (JLC) vs head (Rolex) one for me.

Master

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

Hopefully, this photo isn't an accurate representation of the dial and indices. However, if it is, buy the Rolex.
    Go on then, I'll bite... Please expand on your incisive comment....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    +1. I didn't / don't see them as obviously similar.

Bit of a heart (JLC) vs head (Rolex) one for me.
    I think they are marketed towards a similar concept - practical day to day watches with good WR, robust build, simple functionality, and go anywhere styling...?

No contest for me, I'd choose the JLC. Any indecision I might have would be instantly eradicated by downer's pics.

Master
    Did they ever do anything about the short hands on the Explorer?

Having bought my third Explorer a few weeks ago, I can't ever see me being without one again, I wear it most days.

The bracelet is what makes it more wearable than the Geophysic; compare the two on straps and the JLC wins on pure detail.

Hardly a fair price comparison though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Having bought my third Explorer a few weeks ago, I can't ever see me being without one again, I wear it most days.

The bracelet is what makes it more wearable than the Geophysic; compare the two on straps and the JLC wins on pure detail.

Hardly a fair price comparison though.
    Can't argue with your second and third points. It is the bracelet that makes me think that owning both watches might be a good plan....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Did they ever do anything about the short hands on the Explorer?
    I read this a lot with regard to the 39mm explorer, but struggle to see why it's a problem? It's still very readable, and don't really see how longer hands would help. If anything, I find the 36mm Explorer hands look a little long, almost like they belong to a bigger watch

Master
    Can't argue with your second and third points. It is the bracelet that makes me think that owning both watches might be a good plan....
    I tend to agree with some earlier comments, that I wouldn't really consider the Explorer and Geophysic as natural bedfellows, and are very different looking watches.

Therefore, seems like all the justification you need to get an Explorer too!

I think they are marketed towards a similar concept - practical day to day watches with good WR, robust build, simple functionality, and go anywhere styling...?
    Those were my thoughts. Also, they both have their origin in 1950's tool watches but the modern interpretations are very much luxury watches.

Obviously there are significant differences between them too, most notably the bracelet and the price!

Master
    Go on then, I'll bite... Please expand on your incisive comment....
    OK. Look at the 11 and 1 indices. Can you see where the inner (of the probably two) feet pass through the dial? You shouldn't be able to.

Look at the contact between the indices & the dial and at the printing. They're quite rough. They shouldn't be.

Compare all these with a Rolex in your nearest AD.

Now, it may well be that the JLC photo just isn't very good and that these comments are just as wrong.

However, time with a loupe in my local JLC shop says that JLC dials ain't what they used to be.

Last edited by Tinker; 30th May 2015 at 10:39.

Master
    OK. Look at the 11 and 1 indices. Can you see where the inner (of the probably two) feet pass through the dial? You shouldn't be able to.

Look at the contact between the indices & the dial and at the printing. They're quite rough. They shouldn't be.

Now, it may well be that the JLC photo just isn't very good and that these comments are just as wrong.

However, time with a loupe in my local JLC shop says that JLC dials ain't what they used to be.

I think some allowance should be made for the fact the printing is on a textured/linen style dial?

I can't really tell from the picture if the indices mounting points are just that, or just shadows from the textured dial.

In any event, I'm not sure it was designed to be viewed via a loupe?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I think some allowance should be made for the fact the printing is on a textured/linen style dial?

I can't really tell from the picture if the indices mounting points are just that, or just shadows from the textured dial.

In any event, I'm not sure it was designed to be viewed via a loupe?
    You could well be right.

That said, all higher-end watches finish up under a loupe, don't they?

Master
    You could well be right.

That said, all higher-end watches finish up under a loupe, don't they?
    Well, once you have one, it is kind of hard not to have a peek I suppose!

Master

I suspect you are chasing shadows, due to the low resolution picture. I'll take a closer one tomorrow and post it on here.
    Last edited by downer; 30th May 2015 at 12:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I read this a lot with regard to the 39mm explorer, but struggle to see why it's a problem? It's still very readable, and don't really see how longer hands would help. If anything, I find the 36mm Explorer hands look a little long, almost like they belong to a bigger watch
    I tend to agree. For me, the hands on the 39mm are dead right. If you compare them to smaller Explorers, they're a different proportion, but they're right for the watch. Not only that, but I think (in my highly biased opinion) that the 214270 is the best of all Explorers.

For me a tougher, and more like for like dilemma, is between an Explorer and an Oyster Perpertual with the 3,6,9 dial - both 36mm and approx the same price for good examples second hand. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited by SimonK; 30th May 2015 at 16:29.

Master

JLC Geophysic 1958 vs Rolex Explorer 214270 - which would you choose?

^^^ Easy choice for me. The Explorer, because of the Mercedes hands.

Master
    Is the Geophysic still available? I thought it was a limited edition and they were sold out...?

Master
    I suspect you are chasing shadows, due to the low resolution picture ...
    Yes, you're probably right, but have a look and see, anyway.

Hmm, I've heard others say the same about a recent decline in JLC quality. I don't have much first hand experience of them, anyone else care to weigh in?

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    For me a tougher, and more like for like dilemma, is between an Explorer and an Oyster Perpertual with the 3,6,9 dial - both 36mm and approx the same price for good examples second hand. Decisions, decisions...

Go for a 214270 the hands are too long on the 36mm version. :-)
    I have an Explorer and it's the perfect watch for me but the JLC looks superb. If resale and residuals are of importance, then surely the Rolex is the better bet.

Master
    Yes, you're probably right, but have a look and see, anyway.
    Well, I didn't have much luck with the camera, and I've reached the conclusion that the JLC is fine. According to my eyes, any perceived issues with the intersection of the markers and dial are due to the dial texture, rather than any material or assembly problems. I could be wrong, but I have decided not to be bothered. :)

Anyway, here's a few snaps. While I had the macro tubes out, I also took a few of other watches - and threw a few older ones into the mix.

First, a few of the Geophysic:

And then a few others for comparison:

Master
    I've had an Explorer 214270 for a couple of months now. Ideally I wanted a 14270 but missed out on some good examples on SC before I purchased one. Typically, some good examples became available after I bought mine.

Anyhow, I've just spent a couple of minutes looking at the dial. It's just gorgeous. Fits the bill as an everyday wearer and suitable for so many different scenarios. The Explorer is my all time favourite Rolex. I don't think I'll ever get bored with this watch.

And in addition to looking good, it's as accurate as I could wish for; gaining less than a second a day over a 40 day period.