closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses, what do you like?

Sunglasses, what do you like?

Due to a couple of awesome sales threads that featured Raybans and RE shades, My interest has been reignited in traditional styles

I've been an Oakley man for years, mainly variations on square wires, and never considered anything else, but I've kind of had a secret desire for a classic pair for a while now.

Rayban Aviators do not suit me. They just don't..

However I've been looking at Rayban Caravans and RE aviators due to the squarer less plunging shape.

How do owners of them find them, and you know, what else do you have and like in general?

Maui Jim for me, fantastic quality but mainly due to the availability of bifocal readers.

American Optical Original Pilot, virtually the same as Randolph Engineering or Rayban Caravan style and quality wise, but half the price. I've been using the true colour polarized 55mm ones for years, they're great. 52mm if you have a small head, 58mm if you prefer welding mask type coverage.

If they're good enough for Neil Armstrong (on the moon no less) and Colonel Kilgore (charlie don't surf), they're good enough for me.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 29th May 2015 at 20:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    American Optical Original Pilot, virtually the same as Randolph Engineering or Rayban Caravan style and quality wise, but half the price. I've been using the true colour polarized 55mm ones for years, they're great. 52mm if you have a small head, 58mm if you prefer welding mask type coverage.

If they're good enough for Neil Armstrong (on the moon no less) and Colonel Kilgore (charlie don't surf), they're good enough for me.
    do they do a 55? i'll check em out :)

P.S. i thought robert was wearing RE's?

I love the classic Ray Ban Aviators. I have a pair of silver framed model 3025s with the smaller 55mm frames and custom lenses and they really suit me but I accept that this style doesn't suit everyone. More than any other accessory, sunglasses should IMO never be purchased blind, so to speak. Getting the right frame size and style to suit your face is virtually impossible without trying them on in the flesh. If you haven't already, it's well worth spending a few hours checking out a few different styles before you buy.

Totally agree, but RE's and AO's are hard to find. Are rayban caravans similar enough to other two companies equivalent that they could be used to judge?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I like Persol at the moment. Though after reading the thread on here that showed that most brands are made by the same company I am rather depressed about the prospect of buying shades - it has put me off the brands I did like, maybe that is superficial but it is what it is.

Carerra and prada

Both are liked by me
    Aviators look rubbish on me too as I've got big head!

Serengetis and Maui Jims anyday (Wife is an optician....)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Persol for me!!!

Master
    Oakley for me, several different styles crosshair, big square wire, plaintiff squared. I'm after a pair of racing jackets or similar at the moment.

Maui Jims for me,have had a lot of the other well known brands,but find the couple of pairs of Mauis I have are visually stunning and great for my fishing purposes.

Checking out persol, Maui Jim, and Serengeti as we speak, cheers guys

Master
    I have many different brands, Oakley - Frogskins and X wires which I have sold on, also have some Ray bans that stay at work which are a large framed version of the Wayfarer.

I also have a pair of Persol 714 where I have upgraded the lenses to polarised versions. Also recently for holiday I picked up some Polaroid polarised sunglasses from TK Maxx came with a case etc.

My favourite are the Person as you just don't see them much in the wild, its normally Oakley or Raybans
    Last edited by burton; 29th May 2015 at 22:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post

Agreed. I've just worn a pair out (they withstood a lot of heavy handling)

I shall be seeking a 58mm since I have an inordinately fat head,

Oakley for me, and it's been that way for quite a while now, after years of mostly Ray Bans. Can't quite put my finger on it, but for me there's just something...right about them.

Latest acquisition was a couple of weeks ago - Twoface, with violet iridium lenses. Tried them on in an airport, and liked the look and fit, and then bought them online when I got back home - worth a look, IMO.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotman View Post
    Serengetis and Maui Jims anyday (Wife is an optician....)
    Have to agree ,both have great definition , excellent for driving , essential eye wear .

Craftsman
    Maui Jim

Master
    Oakley and Maui Jim for me. I've only got 1 pair of Maui Jim to my 6 pairs of Oakleys but I think they're the superior glasses and certainly the ones I wear most

I, like our friend SIB, have a large number of Oakley and a set of Maui Jims.

There's really something impressive about decent sunglasses nowadays. The manufacturing process has improved greatly over the last decade.

There's a dealer firm in Norwich I use called "ten-eighty". You'll find them on Google.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Maui Jims have the best lenses I have had .. Love the style of Persol but have recently been drawn to the smaller lens Rayban wayfarers

Got fed up with my Raybans breaking etc, so switched to Randolph Eng glasses a few years back. No complaints since and they are still going strong.

If you're looking to use the glasses in a professional setting then choose the grey lens.
    Last edited by zippy; 29th May 2015 at 23:05.

6 pairs of raybans and a couple pairs of police, club master my favs, but also coloured aviators

Persol aren't doing it for me, like the Maui Jims and Serengeti, but they seem to be, unless i've missed something, lacking the classic gold frames, green lenses of the RE's and Raybans.

Liking the RE's a lot at the moment.

Oakley and Tag Heuer for me

always used serengetis for years, especially for driving, was stuck in an airport once and tried on almost every pair i liked the look of, and the ones i found with the comfiest frames and the most 'soothing' lenses were revo's, which was a bit of an eye opener. also have had a couple of pairs of the old raf pilots issued glasses, they were excellent.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Oakley all the way for me. Have had many, many pairs over the years.

Top quality stuff.

I've been an Oakley fan boy for years and must admit they've been great but since discovered Serengeti for driving... And now Maui jim.... Fantastic optics and can't go wrong for all day wear

Y ess! If anyone mention tactical I swear I'll go f ballistic ;)

Master
    Oakleys for me.

The polarised lenses although expensive have zero colour shift and actually let you see further with them in reasonable light.

Its handy for those tactical situations.

Master
    Maui Jim and Ray Bans with polarised lenses for me.

Problem is now I need prescription lenses so that little hobbie is out the window, still watches knives, cameras and God know what else I can find will fill the gap :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    Maui Jim and Ray Bans with polarised lenses for me.

Problem is now I need prescription lenses so that little hobbie is out the window, still watches knives, cameras and God know what else I can find will fill the gap :-)
    I had prescription Drivewear lenses put in my favourite Ray-Ban frames. Far better than the original lenses, and better even than the magnificent Serengeti Drivers. Not cheap, but if you must have the best, they're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Oakleys for me.

The polarised lenses although expensive have zero colour shift and actually let you see further with them in reasonable light.

Its handy for those tactical situations.
    Right then. Everyone knows that real men wear ballistic eye protection, tactical is for girls

http://www.esseyepro.com

Using the classic Rayban aviators as shades, and Persol as my optical.
    I can only speak for myself though when I say that the craftmanship and the build quality on Persol are miles ahead of RB....

Master
    4 pairs of Oakleys, 1 RayBan aviator, 2 pairs of Persol.

Favourites are the classic RB aviator look!

Master
    I'd never herad of Maui Jim until this thread. Very smart looking.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just love the Ray Bans I purchased of Chris (CmdrBond) this week. They are the Stainless steel frame ones very retro.

Serengeti with PhD drivers lenses, for driving. Amazing glasses and high quality.

For very bright outdoor use then Oakley M frame with black polarized lenses. Superlative lenses but frame quality not the best.

My Brother has Maui Jim and rates them very highly.

Over the years I've had Rays, Randolphs, Jags, & Oakley sunnies but my most recent pair, Maui Jims knock them all into a cocked hat. The polarisation on them is amazing and they also have readers built into the lenses. Excellent!

I will try some Persols at some point though.

Blog Entries
    Oakleys for years but converted to Tom Ford marko's last year and this year two pairs of Persol.

The quality and lenses of Persol are a step up from Oak. Polarised 714 Newman's for Mrs P and 3048's for me.

Blog Entries
    Three different ones:
    • Oakley when sailing, cycling or driving my classic cars (no water or bugs behind the glasses)
    • My normal Lindberg Corona glasses with an add on piece whe driving my daily driver
    • American Optical - bought on this very forum for next to nothing- with prescription glasses.

AOs

Persol,all the way, but gutted they're so popular now been wearing them for years.

Raybans are good for swimming and boating.

Sorry to say I have some Oakleys (which are awful) that are occasional skiing wear

Raybans, 3 pairs. Have liked other designs but they don't look good on my odd peanut shaped head

Master
    Got a real fettish for prada shades have three pairs now and a pair of Ray ban wayfarerss that have lasted me years

Master

Aviators from £68

This might help- Use EYELOVE fir £10 off
    Use http://www.fashioneyewear.co.uk/ray-...or-rb3025.html
    Last edited by lewie; 31st May 2015 at 10:14.

Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    Got a real fettish for prada shades have three pairs now and a pair of Ray ban wayfarerss that have lasted me years
    heels or flats? ;)

I'm off into town to do some trying on, classic shades are too far out of my comfort zone to buy untried. Raybans should give me a good idea of the other companies equivalents

The straight, flat earpieces of AO and Randall Engineering are useful if you wear a crash helmet.

I've a couple of pairs of Raybans and Maui Jim.. The Maui Jims get all the wear, haven't worn the raybans for some time .

The best ever lenses i've ever experienced are on a pair of Cartier sunglasses which i bought off TZuk a couple of years ago.
    The quality and clarity of the lenses are incomparable to any other but unfortunately the frames are way too large.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Right then. Everyone knows that real men wear ballistic eye protection, tactical is for girls

Like the OP, I have was an avid Oakley fan right up until it was time for a new pair last time round and I had read many good reviews about Maui Jim. IMHO they are much better than Oakley and the aftersales customer service is excellent.

I also picked up a pair of Serengeti's on Groupon a couple of months ago, which are very good too. The Maui's tend to get worn more as they are more comfortable due to being light weight.