closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the purists approve?

Do the purists approve?

I expect to be in the minority but I would happily wear that. Can imagine it is a tad more expensive than a standard sub nd though...

Master
    I don't want to like it, but it looks fantastic! The detailing looks to be a very high standard.

Banned
    Good grief, they wrecked the bezel. Would I wear that thing? Never!
    Last edited by GrandS; 28th May 2015 at 08:01.

Well if you've refinished the dial, fitted an aftermarket crystal, aftermarket crown, aftermarket bezel insert and dicked about with the bezel and case... Then it isn't really a Rolex anymore.

Three options so far as I'm concerned:
    A) buy the original inspiration for this.
    B) buy a Steinhart or Tiger or MkII or something.
    C) stick with the modern sub.

Good thing is that we all like different things.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Well if you've refinished the dial, fitted an aftermarket crystal, aftermarket crown, aftermarket bezel insert and dicked about with the bezel and case... Then it isn't really a Rolex anymore.

I'm looking at a 6536 and they aren't cheap. The original inspiration for this model, the Sean Connery James Bond model, is astronomical in price and rarity. It's also a very old watch and less usable than the modern variant, which also doesn't have Radium on the dial :-)

I very much dislike the all black DSSDs etc, but this looks to be well made. The looks of old with pin hole lugs, red 12 bezel, but with modern materials, quality and lume. I think it's a good attempt :-)

Master
    An awful lot nicer than a regular 114060, but probably a lot more expensive as well.

Master
    Not for me but is it as bad as this -
    http://www.finn.no/finn//torget/anno...rchQuery=rolex

Being a fussy old sod I have to say "300" and "1000" what exactly?
    Gray

Nothing wrong with it, no different from a modified Seiko.
    At least its somewhat tasteful, but still not something i'd buy. (I like easily reversible mods for painless servicing)

I am generally a purist but I like it and I would wear it.

Banned
    Prefer the Project X variations myself

one of which:

Banned
    Another

I am of the same opinion here. I don't want to like it but I do.
    Very tastefully done mods as are the ones Josh put up.
    I am sure prices will be unrealistic as with all Rolex mods.

Master
    Rolex should make it themselves, but unfortunately they leave that sort of thing to Omega.

Craftsman
    The gold on it makes it look pretty ugly if you like me, and I am irrationally bothered by the 300/1000 without the units listed. The second one Josh posted is much nicer. I'd wear one if I was given it, but I'd never buy a modified Rolex. Not only are they more expensive than the real thing, but I suspect you'd have to give a substantial discount over the regular watch if you wanted to sell it.

I like that a lot, and would wear it all day. I think the gold is a little odd, but then it replicates the gold on the original watch.

I also think that it's a bit more obvious (for want of a better word) on a 800pix wide picture. I think that on the wrist, it'd look OK. :)

Master
    Apart from costing many, many times more, what's the difference between this and someone who puts a fake dial on a Rolex? It may be a nice, expensive fake dial, but it's still a fake?

Aftermarket dials for cheaper watches tend not to have the manufacturers logos printed on them (presumably due to copyright) and I'm assuming there is no way on earth that Rolex have allowed their logo and name to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Good grief, they wrecked the bezel. Would I wear that thing? Never!
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Nothing wrong with it, no different from a modified Seiko.
    At least its somewhat tasteful, but still not something i'd buy. (I like easily reversible mods for painless servicing)
    Another copy.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Apart from costing many, many times more, what's the difference between this and someone who puts a fake dial on a Rolex? It may be a nice, expensive fake dial, but it's still a fake?
    Hmm. Can't argue with that! Unless they refinish the old dial?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    Rolex should make it themselves, but unfortunately they leave that sort of thing to Omega.
    But they do; Omega's Seamaster is to the original what today's Sub is to the original. Both updated, a little chunkier around the hips, with expensive materials that didn't feature on the original, upgraded movements, and both available in boutiques. The difference is Rolex never stopped making them :).

I don't mind it at all. The one with the red triangle looks slightly overcooked; I'd certainly have left the bezel alone, and I wouldn't have bothered with the 300/1000 business. And yes, on the sort of two-foot wide monitor most people have these days it's easy to pick holes.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    FrankenSub! :-)

Looks like I am in the minority but I rather like it but then again I like the project x variants as well.

Bit stupid having the depth rating without the units.

They should have left off the big red triangle on the bezel.

It's like a very expensive Mk II Kingston.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Hmm. Can't argue with that! Unless they refinish the old dial?
    Reading the blurb that's what they do, but I'd imagine Rolex have very stringent rules regarding who is allowed to reproduce their logo/name. I'm not suggesting they are trying to hide anything, clearly they aren't, but the fact remains that you have an aftermarket manufacturer producing a dial with the Rolex name on it that Rolex never produced. You'd think the copyright chaps would be all over it.

I like it, but would never buy one.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Reading the blurb that's what they do, but I'd imagine Rolex have very stringent rules regarding who is allowed to reproduce their logo/name. I'm not suggesting they are trying to hide anything, clearly they aren't, but the fact remains that you have an aftermarket manufacturer producing a dial with the Rolex name on it that Rolex never produced. You'd think the copyright chaps would be all over it.
    Rolex are anally stringent with who services and sells their watches never mind anything else.
    And it certainly will not be Rolex approved, they wouldn't even touch it for servicing, so it would either have to go back to them or a good indie

From their website:
    TEMPUS MACHINA WATCH COMPANY IS AN INDEPENDENT COMPANY AND IS NOT SPONSORED BY, ASSOCIATED WITH AND/OR AFFILIATED WITH ROLEX S.A. OR ANY OTHER ORIGINAL BRAND MANUFACTURERS IN ANYWAY, AND OPERATE IN A COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL CAPACITY.

None of the watches are actually available yet, you have to register an interest and they'll let you know when it is ready to order.
    My guess is they are gauging how many people are willing to place an order sight unseen, then they'll make the quantity needed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    From their website:
    TEMPUS MACHINA WATCH COMPANY IS AN INDEPENDENT COMPANY AND IS NOT SPONSORED BY, ASSOCIATED WITH AND/OR AFFILIATED WITH ROLEX S.A. OR ANY OTHER ORIGINAL BRAND MANUFACTURERS IN ANYWAY, AND OPERATE IN A COMPLETELY UNOFFICIAL CAPACITY.
    Maybe they should add;

"BUT WE WILL GLADLY REPRODUCE THEIR LOGOS AND OTHER TRADEMARKS WITHOUT PERMISSSION".

Blog Entries
    I just like the model, doesn't have to be Rolex for me, so my old now gone MKII Kingston was a perfect solution, in looks and built quality.

No need to do this, after all Rolex doesn't produce the model anymore, so it's just a name on a dial.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

If Rolex made some official re-issues or updated reissues I'd probably have one if they were reasonably close in price to the existing range.

I'm sure they won't, but it would be nice if Rolex had a parallel heritage range, with subs, Daytonas etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Bit stupid having the depth rating without the units.

They should have left off the big red triangle on the bezel.

It's like a very expensive Mk II Kingston.

I thought it was limited edition. they should have included the depth rating.

I rather like it though suspect it will have a loony tunes price tag. However one glance at my Black Bay and my longing for a vintage style Sub-alike is fulfilled.

Something about that red...just not sure. Would happily take one as a gift (yea, right!) but would spend my money on plenty of other things first.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Being a fussy old sod I have to say "300" and "1000" what exactly?
    Soon to be known as the three tenths, perhaps?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    If Rolex made some official re-issues or updated reissues I'd probably have one if they were reasonably close in price to the existing range.

I'm sure they won't, but it would be nice if Rolex had a parallel heritage range, with subs, Daytonas etc.
    That's sort of what they're doing with Tudor, isn't it? They are up to seven heritage models now. An original 60s-style Cosmo or Daytona might be nice, but they are fairly simple designs compared to today's big-ticket chronos. And the Sub is still a Sub, with no less link to its history than any of Omega's or Longines's "Heritage" output.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Soon to be known as the three tenths, perhaps?
    Perhaps limited number 300 of 1000 made ;-)
    Gray

That's the nicest Rolex that isn't in the range :)

I love it, Rolex should make it and I am sure they would sell them like hot cakes.

Yuck....

At first, I thought, "Hmmm, that looks good."

Now, on closer inspection, I think I'd prefer a MKII Kingston or Nassau. There are too many question marks hanging over this one I feel

It actually looks quite good - as it would, given it's a copy of a classic design.

Up close though, Id dispute that the dial is finished and printed to quite as high a standard as the original finish - and that's nothing to do with the level of magnification.

I suppose, realistically (though rolex themselves seem sometimes to mistakenly think otherwise) once you buy a rolex it belongs to you, not rolex, and you can do whatever you bloody like to it.

Master
    My mind has been changed, due to pricing unfortunately. The watch is going to cost in the 20-30k USD range, with a maximum of 100 being produced.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 28th May 2015 at 20:44.

Master
    I quite like it. Especially what they've done with the lugs. This would suit the ceramic subs a bit better imho.

Master
    Maybe they should add;

"BUT WE WILL GLADLY REPRODUCE THEIR LOGOS AND OTHER TRADEMARKS WITHOUT PERMISSSION".
    What exactly are they doing wrong? If it's an original Rolex dial that has been modified, it's still a Rolex dial. If I buy a Rolls Royce and take it into a body shop and modify the hell out of it, it's still a Rolls Royce albeit a modified one. No laws are being broken.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    It looks like a Submariner with some red paint thrown on it and some bits cut off the case. What more can you say other than pointless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    It looks like a Submariner with some red paint thrown on it and some bits cut off the case. What more can you say other than pointless.
    There looks to be a fair amount of work involved. The case sides, drilled lugs etc.

It's not as boxy as this...

...and not as scary to wear as the original it's based upon...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    What exactly are they doing wrong? If it's an original Rolex dial that has been modified, it's still a Rolex dial. If I buy a Rolls Royce and take it into a body shop and modify the hell out of it, it's still a Rolls Royce albeit a modified one. No laws are being broken.
    Imagine if I purchase a load of Seamasters but instead of selling them with the dials as designed, I strip them, print my own design on them and include the Omega name. How long do you reckon it would be before I got a call from Bienne?

It's not the fitting of aftermarket or modified OEM parts that I think puts them on shaky ground, it's the reprinting of the dial using copyrighted material that they aren't authorised to use. If the dial only was being offered for sale through regular retail outlets I doubt it would last long. But I know nothing about copyright and trademarks so I could be completely wrong.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    And a repainted gilt dial and gilt hands, and a new crown, and a shaved bezel, a new crystal, re-profiled lugs, and what looks like a new bracelet. But apart from that...!

All of those things have actually been done but they don't have the scale that Rolex does to essentially re-make everything but the movement, so the cost per unit is astronomical. A business plan that starts with the capital investment into up to 1,000 new Submariners probably requires quite a return. And the price means this will be aimed at people who probably have an original Submariner or three knocking around, not people weighing up whether to buy a new Sub or a Black Bay.

I wonder how they got hold of the base Submariners. I can't imagine Rolex selling them in bulk, knowing what they'd do to them?

Master

Do the purists approve?

Imagine if I purchase a load of Seamasters but instead of selling them with the dials as designed, I strip them, print my own design on them and include the Omega name. How long do you reckon it would be before I got a call from Bienne?
    Edit: I didn't read that properly. Doh !!
    Last edited by jaytip; 28th May 2015 at 22:47.

Grand Master
    Knowing Omega's form, their corporate lawyers will be hut-hutting down the side of your house the following night!
    It's not the fitting of aftermarket or modified OEM parts that I think puts them on shaky ground, it's the reprinting of the dial using copyrighted material that they aren't authorised to use. If the dial only was being offered for sale through regular retail outlets I doubt it would last long. But I know nothing about copyright and trademarks so I could be completely wrong.
    Same with all the Project X, Bamford etc Rolex reprints. Either they all do a deal, or there is a workaround that allows them to sell it as "not a Rolex", or as a used watch.