closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do the purists approve?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It's not the same thing though is it. If it's an original Rolex dial, and the put Rolex back on the dial, what would be the charge against them?
    Yes, exactly the same thing. Original Omega dial, strip it and replace the design with one that Omega never made but still bears their name.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    Knowing Omega's form, their corporate lawyers will be hut-hutting down the side of your house the following night!

Same with all the Project X, Bamford etc Rolex reprints. Either they all do a deal, or there is a workaround that allows them to sell it as "not a Rolex", or as a used watch.
    It was Eddie's experience with Omega that got me thinking about the Rolex. If I set up a website selling Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc OEM dials that had been reprinted I'm convinced it wouldn't last five minutes.

Craftsman
    Considering the price it will likely demand I don't think I would ever get one. In the end it's still some blokes in a shed modifying a watch trying to make it seem like a different more desirable watch with some contemporary touches. When spending a lot of money I do prefer some actual pedigree.
    To be honest I think they should have gone the Steinhart route and just made a copy with their preferred specs and put a different name on the dial (and likely charge less than half the price).

Master

Do the purists approve?

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Yes, exactly the same thing. Original Omega dial, strip it and replace the design with one that Omega never made but still bears their name.
    Yes you are correct. My fault for speed reading before replying.[/QUOTE]

I wish people would get over this reverence about the name Rolex.

If you buy one of their watches and you wish to alter it to your own taste you can do so perfectly legally, just like you can with any other possession you have purchased.

Want to repaint your car a colour scheme the manufacturer never issued? Go ahead. Want to repaint your Rolex dial? Go ahead. It's yours, you can do what you want with it.

If you ever sell it, just correctly describe what you have done and everything is fine.

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I wish people would get over this reverence about the name Rolex.

If you buy one of their watches and you wish to alter it to your own taste you can do so perfectly legally, just like you can with any other possession you have purchased.

Want to repaint your car a colour scheme the manufacturer never issued? Go ahead. Want to repaint your Rolex dial? Go ahead. It's yours, you can do what you want with it.

If you ever sell it, just correctly describe what you have done and everything is fine.

Mitch
    Ah, the bad car analogy again. It isn't about modifying your own watch or car, it's about someone completely altering the makeup of a product to the extent that it cannot be considered the same product, then selling it as new with the original brand name written back onto it. If you want to talk about cars, think RUF/Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Ah, the bad car analogy again. It isn't about modifying your own watch or car, it's about someone completely altering the makeup of a product to the extent that it cannot be considered the same product, then selling it as new with the original brand name written back onto it. .

Who cares!

Its yours, you can do what you want with it. So you make it into something the manufacturer never issued, so what?

Can you give a list of other products that you buy that you feel you don't have the right to alter to your personal taste or which the original manufacturer retains the right to have a say in what you may subsequently do to it?

Also if you alter one of your possessions you have the right to sell it on as is as long as you describe it correctly.

Mitch

Ok Mitch, you're right, have a gold star.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    There looks to be a fair amount of work involved. The case sides, drilled lugs etc.

It's not as boxy as this...

...and not as scary to wear as the original it's based upon...

Yeah the shape of it is an improvement. It's just the rest of it, not to mention the ridiculous pricing.

Yes it's your watch and you can do what you like to it, or can you?
    What happens at service time or need some warranty work doing?
    Especially if parts are needed and they are restricted to the manufacturer's network of service centres or accredited repairers.
    You can't have it serviced by the manufacturer as it's been modded so they won't touch it. Ok if the modder is reputable then they can service it or repair it, but what happens if they go bust? you end up with an expensive useless item.

Master
    Who cares!

Its yours, you can do what you want with it. So you make it into something the manufacturer never issued, so what?

Can you give a list of other products that you buy that you feel you don't have the right to alter to your personal taste or which the original manufacturer retains the right to have a say in what you may subsequently do to it?

Also if you alter one of your possessions you have the right to sell it on as is as long as you describe it correctly.
    So I can buy say 100 plain Calvin Klein T-Shirts, and then print a design on them which includes the Calvin Klein logo/trademark. I can then set up an online shop selling these T-Shirts without fear of prosecution because I own them and I can do what I want with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    Well if you've refinished the dial, fitted an aftermarket crystal, aftermarket crown, aftermarket bezel insert and dicked about with the bezel and case... Then it isn't really a Rolex anymore.

Three options so far as I'm concerned:
    A) buy the original inspiration for this.
    B) buy a Steinhart or Tiger or MkII or something.
    C) stick with the modern sub.
    My thoughts too.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    So I can buy say 100 plain Calvin Klein T-Shirts, and then print a design on them which includes the Calvin Klein logo/trademark. I can then set up an online shop selling these T-Shirts without fear of prosecution because I own them and I can do what I want with them?
    It's hardly likely that CK would take action against someone representing real CK T shirts as real CK T shirts with alterations. They do own the use of their logo but seeing it on their own genuine products is not likely to get them in a spin. These T shirts would be sold as second hand products not new from the manufacturer.

Do BMW take action against all those BMW owners who put BMW M3 badges on their non M3 cars? How about a second owner puting an M3 badge on an M3 that was originally supplied by the manufacturer unbadged as an M3?

In this case the firm are using legally bought genuine products already bearing the Rolex logo so there is no equivalence. If they want to repaint the dial to read 'Rolex Sucks' they can do.

Mitch

Master
    It's hardly likely that CK would take action against someone representing real CK T shirts as real CK T shirts with alterations.
    I think they would if someone was reproducing their logo in an uncontrolled manner and the scale was sufficient enough. The car analogy isn't the same. I'm not saying a product can't be modified, added to etc after the point of sale. I'm just saying that tempus-machina are printing dials that contain protected images/logos. If they don't have permission from Rolex then surely that is illegal.

For example, I could buy 50 Speedbirds from Eddie. I then add "Speedbird" just below 12 and "PRS-22" above 6*. I set up a site called Timefactorz and flog them on with a 50% mark up. Maybe Eddie would be happy he's sold 50 watches, maybe not. But according to you, it'll all fine, legal and above board. As I said, I know nothing about trademarks etc but I be surprised if it was OK.

* Or if you prefer, 50 Dreadnoughts Voyagers modified to different colour schemes but still bearing the Dreadnought text,
    Last edited by benny.c; 29th May 2015 at 15:51.

Master
    i really like that!

The hour markers and minute dial especially. The case edge reminds me of the Omega sm 300 master coaxial for some reason.

I do like it. The 300/1000 seems more like an edition than depth rating but thats not the biggest problem... For me the main concern would be that it is a franken watch... same applies for the full DLC project X... as nice as they look, they are not in the Rolex catalogue or even championed by Rolex... therefore they wouldn't have Rolex value when it comes for resale... id probably stick with the Tudor black bay, but given this for free I would wear it proudly.

I just think it looks so wrong. The gold doesn't go with the steel and all the bits they have shaved off it or added on just make the form and the function worse! What's the point of it?