closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MagSafe and Peak Design cases, risk of magnetisation to watches?

Master
    Blog Entries

MagSafe and Peak Design cases, risk of magnetisation to watches?

The new iPhones have magnets in so I read and the Peak Design case has even more magnets.

https://uk.peakdesign.com/products/e...40139549474893

Do these risk magnetising watches ?

In short - no. Unless you put your watch directly on magnet.

Since getting my iPhone with Magsafe about 3 years ago I have swapped the pocket it is in for this very reason. My phone used to be on my right, the side I wear my watch but now that's my wallet and the phone is in the left pocket.
    I did once magnetise a watch with a magnetic iPad case so it's certainly possible but I imagine, generally speaking, unlikely unless you put it directly against your phone. Not really worth the risk though.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    In short - no. Unless you put your watch directly on magnet.
    I won’t wear the older stuff in the shower so always put my phone face down and lay the watch on top so it doesn’t get marked on the tiles.

Never had a problem until I changed my case to a MagSafe case and I’ve just had one demagnetised.

Rolex couldn’t say if it was magnetised or not, just threw it on the machine and said see how it goes and typically I haven’t worn it since.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I keep my phone in my left front pocket and wear my watch on my left wrist. I can easily see how the watch could rest close to the phone when sitting.

Master
    But then going for a brisk walk wearing your watch sniper style on the inside of your wrist brushing back and forth past the offending magnetic case would have a similar effect to a demagnetiser no?

As it happens the very first thread I made on TZ-UK was on this topic, in the build up to the first MagSafe iPhone (12) being released.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...l-watch-owners

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    As it happens the very first thread I made on TZ-UK was on this topic, in the build up to the first MagSafe iPhone (12) being released.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...l-watch-owners
    So, 4 years on what’s the conclusion… I assume no problems?

I have an iPhone 12 I bought in late November of 2020. I carry it in my left front pocket and wear my watch on my left hand. I have been careful not to lay a watch on my phone or charger. No issues at all so far.

I did magnetize a Tudor Sub about 15 years ago when I sat it on a Blackberry case that had a magnet in it to hold the flap down, hence my reluctance to rest a watch on any phone.