closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hamilton Pan Europ

Craftsman

Hamilton Pan Europ

I've recently developed a liking for some of the retro designs on the market, particularly those of a blue persuasion.

Firstly I took a liking to the Tudor Heritage Chrono blue. The size is good, it looks great but unfortunately it's more than I want to spend.

Next stop was the Steinhart Racetimer blue. Looks great like the Tudor and appeared to tick all the boxes however at 44mm was too big.

Whilst looking for an alternative I came across the Hamilton Pan Europ. I think it looks great, the 42mm non chrono version (I don't like looks of the chrono) is a better size and despite never liking Nato's I think it looks great on the fabric strap (as does the Tudor).

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collect...auto/h35405741

This is the first time I have seen the Pan Europ and don't recall seeing it on here. Does anyone have any experience of this watch, any thoughts on the design or others to consider?

Have this chrono version and in black too.
    I think it is a lovely watch for the money.

There was one for sale on SC the other week.

i think they look good but was personally surprised at how much they cost.

Craftsman
    Nice but too expensive.

Too expensive ?
    Am not sure how.
    The chronograph version on pre- owned market is around 1000 USD.
    That is fair for a popular reissue that is an LE.

Master
    I picked up the blue non chrono version a couple of months back after admiring them for a while.

It comes with quite an interesting movement for the cost, a modified one with an 80 hour power reserve. From what I can gather, it's based on the ETA 2824-2, and has a beefed up main spring and runs at a lower BPH to extend the power reserve. The second hand still seems to sweep acceptably smoothly too.

It does appear to be regulated at the factory using a laser, no idea how, but there isn't the regulation lever visible like there is on a 2824-2.

It's got a nice display back, the standard leather strap is incredibly supple with a signed deployant included, as well as the excellent fabric strap in the box.

There's some great detail on the dial with applied markers and a contrasting chapter ring, and the blue is almost black indoors but comes alive in the sunshine with a starburst effect.

You can pick them up in Europe for a fair chunk less than the UK right now, I got mine from a German dealer 48hrs after ordering it.

Hamilton Pan Europ by iaintookey, on Flickr

I had a black chrono version and loved it, only thing that got to me was the curved lugs, I couldn't get a custom strap for it, so off it went
    Now I miss it and want another

Craftsman
    I took a good look at these. Hodinkee has a good review on their site.
    I don't see them as expensive, decent movement, nice design, the only downside I could see was the curved strap ends but wouldn't be a deal breaker. There are not many retro auto's for that price out there. Buy in Europe for the best prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I had a black chrono version and loved it, only thing that got to me was the curved lugs, I couldn't get a custom strap for it, so off it went
    Now I miss it and want another
    There are a few people who can make bespoke straps for you, James Hyman (Dreamboat10) for one. I have a couple of his straps, and Giuliano in Italy makes replicas of the corfam straps Heuers came on in the 1960s and 1970s.

I really like the Pan Europ, I've almost bought a chronograph version on more than one occasion. The only thing that stops me is asking myself if I'd wear it instead of one of my Heuers and sadly the answer is no.

Craftsman
    Hi Tooks

That looks great. Do you mind me asking where you purchased from and the price?

Yep, congrats from me too, that is a very nice looking watch, I particularly like the case shape.

Master
    I'm not totally convinced by the retro look and consequently, for me at least, the watch seems expensive.

I can see the attraction if you are into that look however.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Too expensive ?
    Am not sure how.
    The chronograph version on pre- owned market is around 1000 USD.
    That is fair for a popular reissue that is an LE.
    OP is about the 3 hand model which has an RRP of over £800 which is expensive seeing as you can buy Tissots with the powermatic 80 movement (which I am led to believe is the same) for half the cost. Buying from the EU is still over £500.

the Pan Europ was one of the first "better" watches i bought about a year ago. first saw them on WUS and fell inlove with the blue LE, there were a few at that time. then found a black chrono one on Ebay and got it. its got good wrist pressence as ita a fair size

Craftsman
    Just been into Liverpool City Centre and not one of the 3 Hamilton stockists have one in stock for me to try on. I wanted to take a look in the flesh prior to purchasing and unlikely to buy from the High Street as it's cheaper elsewhere.

Looks like I'll just have to take a chance.

Craftsman
    Order placed, £570 from Iconic.

Unfortunately I have to wait a couple of weeks but hopefully it'll be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    Order placed, £570 from Iconic.

Unfortunately I have to wait a couple of weeks but hopefully it'll be worth it.
    That is a good price, I suppose with vat it's about the same as from chrono24. Fab watch tho

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    That is a good price, I suppose with vat it's about the same as from chrono24. Fab watch tho
    And significantly cheaper than the AD's here.

Craftsman
    Email received today, balance paid and watch has been despatched via next day delivery.

Looks like I'm working from home tomorrow!

Craftsman
    Watch arrived today.

I like the case and the dial looks great. Not convinced on the leather strap so swapped for the NATO that I prefer. What is your preference?

Last edited by GMC41; 22nd May 2015 at 22:41.

John Robbins
    I like this watch but agree about the strap. it looks better on the nato.

The nato really suits it I think, blue is just so nice