closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Edox Chrongraph Titanium Spirit of Norway Limited Edition

Master

Edox Chrongraph Titanium Spirit of Norway Limited Edition

Well here goes with some better pic's, some more detailed information and the story behind why I chose the Edox Chrono..........

In the beginning

As many of you will know I had, up until recently a Breitling Chrono Avenger M1 on a PRO2 titanium bracelet, yellow face limited edition Team SEB which I liked a lot and still do. However, said watch has been sold and is now with it's new owner.

Quick picture of the SEB:

In my opinion a fine "tool" watch, great wrist presence and some very unique features such as magnetic pushers which can be operated down to 1000 meters :shock: not that I would ever reach 1000m.

In terms of size the Breitling was a bit of a brute, 17mm case depth and 46mm including the crown. I like my watches big though so no issues their :D .

Weight was an impressive 150 grammes, quite a heft for a titanium watch.

Build quality was superb, functionality also great and time keeping due the thermo compansated breitling quartz movement excellent!

[/b]How do you follow a Breitling CA?[b]

Filling the boots of the Breitling was going to take some doing and I had the following must haves on my list:

1. Must be titanium
    2. Must have a bracelet available
    3. Must be a chrono - quartz or mechanical
    4. Something different i.e. manufacturer
    5. Budget approx £1500
    6. Black dial / carbon fibre dial
    7. Must be 43mm diameter or bigger
    8. Something that I could wear with a suit or casual clothing

Now my search began about 4-5 weeks ago after seeing a few links to chronos posted on this very site and getting that feeling of leaning towards a black faced chrono again..........

Somebody and I can't remember who posted a picture of an Edox and I had also tried on an Omega planet ocean chrono, a very nice watch but very, very heavy and also just outside my budget even on the second hand market.

Anyway after weeks of searching and trawling of the internet, various jewellers windows, trying the odd watch on, reading reviews etc etc I was still drawn back to the Edox.

The Edox experience

Making the decision that you want to buy a specific watch is one thing, finding an authorised dealer for some of the lesser known swiss brands is a different matter altogether.

Edox does not have a UK distributor or dealer network, so actually seeing and handling the watch I had chosen was going to be impossible without the cost of a flight abroad. As with most people I lead a busy life both at home and at work, infact work takes up a lot of time and many an hour is spent working late most nights.

However after trawling the net in the search for reviews and pictures the watch grew on me more and more. Why wouldn't it

I know it will not be to everyones taste and hey thats fine, each to their own, we all have different wants and needs. The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things in life.

Edox, we have contact

So I have a problem, I know what I want but can only find about 2 watch dealers based in europe stocking the watch.

The decision is made to contact Edox directly, an e-mail is sent and a response received back swiftly and efficently! My query was where could I buy one? Where would they recommend? The response was that as the UK does not have any AD's they were happy for me to deal direct :) .

Did I have any futher questions................... who, me? You bet I did :lol:

Further e-mails were passed back and forth, as per usual Alexandre at Edox responded very swiftly, with all the information and confirmation requested.

Right, we have the funds, lets order the watch. On Monday 13th August at approx 16.20 I sent my order to Edox along with payment details etc.

Tuesday 14th August AM I receive confirmation of my order, followed by a further e-mail from Cindy, with a invoice and confirmation that my watch was being despatched that day by speed post and should be with me within 2-3 days.

Wednesday 15th August I arrive home after being out all day, Mrs Gingerboy has received a delivery addressed to me which was signed for @ 15:00!

A very sturdy and plain outer box is opened after the usual quick and dirty WIS pics :D

This reveals yet another box a tiny bit smaller

As can be seen it is packed with foam and polystyrene to protect the precious cargo.

The presentation case is very nice and already I am smiling like a child on Christmas morning

At this point I am already really impressed with my Edox experience, the staff at Edox have answered my endless stream of questions and have bowled me over with the speed of delivery.

The outer carton and presentation case are all of a high standard, lets hope the watch can live up to the high standards set!

Edox Class 1 Chronograph Titanium Spirit of Norway LE - the watch package

This is still a quick and dirty pic of the watch and various bits and bobs

At last a watch on rubber strap with Edox deployment fitted, a spare set of spring bars, a titanium bracelet, end links and a strap changing and bracelet sizing tool :shock: thats a nice package!

The first thing that strikes me once I get the protective film of the watch is the heft and size of it

The next thing is some of the really nice attention to detail and finishing touches

The above pic;s showing the case back detail, machine finish to the deployment clasp and the bracelet clasp 8) .......................... I'm a happy, happy man!

Now the actual face of the watch will probably divide the majority of watch lovers, you will love it or hate it. Some will say it's too busy, some will want more lume, don't like carbon fibre etc and again thats fine.

The purpose is to provide anyone considering this watch a detailed overview of the watch with enough information to allow an informed decision.

The carbon fibre dial

again in the above pic, note the stainless steel retaining screws that secure the Ceramic bezel to the watch........ yes thats right they are shaped the same as the Edox logo.

The ceramic bezel has a lovely sheen to it, not too glossy but not to satin a finish either

The case and bracelet finish are a mix of brushed and polished surfaces

Overall I am really liking the watch

Facts and figures

No doubt you will want to know some facts and figures, so here they are:

Whats in the box

1. Edox titanium chrono limited edition with rubber strap and deployment fitted
    2. Titanium bracelet with solid end links
    3. spare set of spring bars
    4. Bracelet / strap changing and sizing tool
    5. Limited edition literature
    6. Warranty card
    7. Instruction manual

Specifications

Basics

1. Titanium Case, bracelet and deployment
    2. Ceramic uni-directional bezel
    3. Carbon fibre dial with silver sub dials
    4. Sapphire crystal, 2.8mm thick, internal anti-reflective coating
    5. Case diameter - 46.50 mm
    6. Case depth - 18mm
    7. weight 193 grammes when ti bracelet is fitted :shock: :D

Technical

1. Movement - Edox 011 automatic movement, based on Valjoux 7750
    2. Frequency - 28,800 A/h
    3. Jewels 25
    4. Edox decorated
    5. Day and date function
    6. 42hour power reserve
    7. 7.90mm movement heght

Face and hands

1. Hand finished Carbon fibre dial
    2. Tachymetre scale
    3. Hands partially coated with Superluminova
    4. 3 seperate sub dials, constant seconds, minuts, hours for chrono
    5. Hour indices superluminova coated

Other

HE valve at 10 O'clock position
    500 meters water resistant
    Divers wet suit extension on bracelet
    Bracelet 22mm tapering to 20mm at the clasp
    Case, 51mm lug to lug
    Crown 7mm diameter
    Bezel diameter 43.5mm excluding crown and HE, 60 clicks

First Impressions

First impressions are very good. The Breilting Chrono Avenger may have left some big boots to fill but the EDOX has stepped upto the mark and is quite capable of filling those boots. Throw in some unique materials and superb attention to deail and I'm confident Edox are onto a winning combination.

Service from Edox thus far has been superb! So congratulations to Edox for a first class team.

The package and watch.

The presentation of the the overall package is of a high quality, some nice attention to detail making just opening the presentation case a joy.

The watch.

I did read a thread elsewhere, someone was comparing Edox to Tissot :shock:, all I can say is that they have without doubt never handled an Edox class 1 watch. Furthermore they should seek medical help from their doctor and take more tablets :wink: .

Having owned Tudor, Omega, Tissot, Oris, Tag Heur, Breitling, Sinn, Timefactors dreadnaught etc I can catergorically confirm that in the case of the Edox Chrongraph Titanium Spirit of Norway Limited Edition it can comfortably hold it's own up against the likes of Breitling, Omega and Oris!

I have owned few, if any watches with the same finishing touches, that make this watch feel special. The case back itself is a work of art, the bracelet comfortable. If I were to compare the bracelet to anything, in terms of heft / size / finish it is up their with the Breitling PRO2.

The strap is superb and the deployment is of the highest standards.

Negatives

The lume is not great, think Oris TT2 divers and your their. It needs a good charge for it to be easy to read.

Polished outer links of the bracelet........... everyday I find something that makes me think that I made the right decision so who knows maybe they will grow on me, if not, it's off to Bry for a bit of fettling :wink: .

The sheer size of the watch may not suit everybody, if you like your watches big you'll love it, if you don't steer clear, this particular model is not for you :D

Currently no AD / distributor network in the UK, however don't let that put you off.

Summary

This was a bit of a gamble for me, but one that has paid off.

I have a watch that I like the look and design of.

Edox as a manufacturer could not have gone much further in terms of ensuring customer satisfaction during the ordering process. Despatch of the product was beyond expectations.

The package as a whole represents excellent value when compared to comparable products. Factor in the use of some high tech materials, great attention to detail and you have a watch that delivers and has you looking at your wrist far too often and for far longer than you really should, if you wish to avoid walking into lamp posts, door frames or walls :D .

If you are on the edge in terms of purchasing an Edox, stop messing about, you might just be pleasently surprised :) .

Kind regards

Paul

Master
    As john (Abraxas) pointed out this really should be in the review section so here it is.

Regards

PAul

Very nice Paul - and a good review.

:)

Rod

No doubt this is a fine watch but they is a lot far better watches than Edox Class 1. It's an average size watch.

"I did read a thread elsewhere, someone was comparing Edox to Tissot , all I can say is that they have without doubt never handled an Edox class 1 watch. Furthermore they should seek medical help from their doctor and take more tablets"

Nothing wrong of comparing Edox with any other brand. If you don't agree with the comparison just say it, don't have to be that sarcastic.

That was an EXCELLENT review Paul!! Thanks for taking so much time, a pleasure to read!
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by rudi12
    No doubt this is a fine watch but they is a lot far better watches than Edox Class 1. It's an average size watch.

"I did read a thread elsewhere, someone was comparing Edox to Tissot , all I can say is that they have without doubt never handled an Edox class 1 watch. Furthermore they should seek medical help from their doctor and take more tablets"

Nothing wrong of comparing Edox with any other brand. If you don't agree with the comparison just say it, don't have to be that sarcastic.
    Very often, it is not what is said but who says it that matters. Pearls and swine come to mind. The Tissot Seastar is probably the worse watch to come out of Switzerland in recent times. :(

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi12

Firstly, it is very apparent that you do not "know me" so to speak, otherwise you would know that the above quote was made in such a way that it was meant to be light hearted and was not a personal atack on anyone.

Secondly, I could not agree more, their is nothing at all wrong with comparing Edox with any other brand, however their is a huge difference between comparing brands when you have actuall first hand experience of both those brands as opposed to personal perception based on the popularity of a brand, or lets say based on the fact that 2 brands sell similair volumes of product...................................

My review and thoughts are based on actual ownership of several different brands, a point which, I did substantiate in my review.

I can only assume your thoughts are based on ownership of an Edox class 1 watch????

I make no apologoies if you were offended in any way, our sense of humour obviously is very different, I would be interested however in your views and experience of Edox as a brand and what your comparisson is based upon.

With kind regards

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    That was an EXCELLENT review Paul!! Thanks for taking so much time, a pleasure to read!
    Thank you Mike, glad you enjoyed it.

I must get some decent close-ups now I have a macro converter..................... I was going to try tomorrow but the "Boss" has a day off work so looks like my time will already be scheduled down to the last 5 minutes before bed :D the joys of being married!

Kind regards

Paul

Journeyman

Re: Edox Chrongraph Titanium Spirit of Norway Limited Edition

classic, clean watch....like it!

my friend who isnt into watches came back from spain with the very same watch. its stunning!

BTW.. i like the build up of pics with the sealed box in first picture getting opened slowly as the pics go on..,.

Thanks for the review - it looks like a great watch.

It's interesting to hear of your comparisons with other watches as this is a fairly unknown brand in the UK. I had not heard of it before and will be now considering it when looking for my next watch.

I think it looks really nice on the rubber too. It could work well with a nice black leather strap if you wanted to mix it up a bit.

Very nice review and thorough one as well. We actually have good Edox AD in town where I live. I better go and look for it, but I doubt they've even heard about it. Automatics of any kind is rare where I live.