closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sinn 556i - premature wear on leather

Master

Sinn 556i - premature wear on leather

My 556i is only three months old and is already showing premature signs of wear to the strap as you can see from the attached. Sinn have been very good and are sending out a replacement strap but I can see this just happening again. Should I be using curved spring bars or is there some other solution? Cheers for any help/advice.

Is it polishing the case? That's probably a greater concern. Looking at Sinn's site, the vintage cowhide strap does look like a close fit, but that's only a simulation. It could be that you got a slightly thicker example, but trying a curved spring bar cannot do any harm...can it?

Master
    I've had a look at the case and can't see any polishing on it. So far anyway. Would you have any recommendations where to buy decent curved spring bars?

Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    I've had a look at the case and can't see any polishing on it. So far anyway. Would you have any recommendations where to buy decent curved spring bars?
    As it happens:

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    eBay supplier: twente(o) lists various sizes and various quantities...5 x 20 mm item # 221621399475.

I am currently wearing a watch using a stap fitted with his 20 mm curved spring bars in a 20 mm lug width. I didn't even think to wonder about using the 21 mm version as they're curved! Others may advise...
    ...and the see the later posts in that thread as well.
    Last edited by PickleB; 22nd May 2015 at 21:28. Reason: spelling

Master
    Very useful thank you! The Speedbird III has a similar case to the 556 so I can see why this is an issue for both watches.

Apprentice
    I'd fit curved spring bars. They cost a couple pounds or dollars. Job done.

Master
    Curved spring bars already ordered thanks to the link provided above. Once I have these fitted I will report back to confirm whether they did the trick or not in case anyone else has this problem as well.
    Last edited by midgetda; 24th May 2015 at 16:14.

Curved spring bars already ordered thanks to the link provided above. Once I have these fitted I will report back to confirm whether they did the trick or not in case anyway else has this problem as well.
    With the strap you have or a new curved-end one?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    With the strap you have or a new curved-end one?
    I'm going to give it a go with the current strap to see if that gives enough clearance. Seeing as the watch is exactly how it came from Sinn, if that doesn't work then I will go back to Sinn to ask what they suggest as I cannot be the only one having this problem?

Actually to add - Sinn's initial suggestion was to go to a watchmaker when I receive the replacement strap and ask their advice on which spring bars to use.
    Last edited by midgetda; 24th May 2015 at 09:10.

I can't really see how a curved spring bar in a non curved end strap is going to help. The problem is the thickness of the leather combined with the thickness of the springbar putting the leather into contact with the case, a thinner springbar might help but compromises strength, personally I would just fit a different strap..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Seeing as the watch is exactly how it came from Sinn, if that doesn't work then I will go back to Sinn to ask what they suggest as I cannot be the only one having this problem?
    I guess that the tolerance of the strap construction has much more variance than the tolerance in the watch case construction i.e. it's the old strap that's the problem. Probably the leather used was a little thicker than usual.

My 556 leather strap shows no such wear, and I'd be quite surprised if there was a difference in the watch case that was determining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I guess that the tolerance of the strap construction has much more variance than the tolerance in the watch case construction i.e. it's the old strap that's the problem. Probably the leather used was a little thicker than usual.

My 556 leather strap shows no such wear, and I'd be quite surprised if there was a difference in the watch case that was determining factor.
    If the leather is thick enough, perhaps the OP could use a small round (riffler) file to thin it out in the problem area?

Master
    Thanks for everyone's input so far. I would agree it is probably the tolerance of the leather strap that is the problem and we will see when the new strap arrives how that fits and also whether the curved spring bars make any difference.

Although not for this thread, interestingly I also have a 857 UTC where the leather strap also rubs on the case....

Master
    To report back on this. I have fitted the curved spring bars (from the link provided) with the original strap. That has solved the problem and now there is a nice gap between case and strap - no more rubbing.

I will also report back when I receive the new strap from Sinn to see if this one fits better with the regular straight Sinn spring bars - this would then be clear that the original strap was a little outside tolerance for a good fit on the watch.

Hope this helps others who may experience similar issues.
    Last edited by midgetda; 29th May 2015 at 13:57.

Master
    Well the replacement strap arrived from Sinn today. Fitted with the supplied, straight, spring bars there is just enough clearance to avoid rubbing on the case when worn. Personally I will stick with the curved spring bars as they provide a much better fit.

It also looks as though Sinn has changed strap supplier as the new strap has coarser stitching and it is more of an off white colour. The strap just looks a little different as well and has 7 holes rather than 6.