closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: This is a first for me..

Master
    Blog Entries

This is a first for me..

Yesterday I went for a short ride on my motorbike with my lovely Seiko mod on my wrist ... and when I got home it had gone. The bracelet or a spring bar must have failed and my favourite daily wearer has gone for ever :(

Here's a pic

Now it's off to Sales Corner for me!

I have never had this happen before - is it more common than I would have thought?

ATB

Jon

Craftsman
    That sucks. Nicely modded too. I've had the same thing happen to me in the past. Thought I had noticed something drop, but didn't see it land. Never gave it a thought that it was my watch abandoning ship. Didn't notice for a good few hours. Went back to where I though it had been lost, but no joy.

My mother always said motorbikes were dangerous......

I feel for you though 'cos that looks very nice.

gutted for you. looks like a peach.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Many years ago I used to dive wearing my Submariner, then I heard a similar story and thought stuff that for a bunch of rhubarb
    Sorry to hear of your loss.

Last edited by number2; 24th May 2015 at 13:29.

Feel your pain.
    I noticed my watch missing after a rather bumpy downhill on a pushbike, I rode back and found it lying in the gutter.
    The watch now lives in the back of a sock drawer..

Never had it happened to me (thankfully!). My immediate thought was be thankful it wasn't a much more expensive watch (money wise), as I'm assuming this wouldn't be covered under standard personal possessions insurance?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    gutted for you. looks like a peach.
    It really doesn't. A peach is soft and round and looks like a lady's pert bottom if viewed from the right angle. Sorry, now my mind is on other things :-)

To the OP, that is really bad luck. Never had that happen to me (though I don't have a motorbike :-)) My advice would be get a car- if it happens again it will only fall on to a soft seat!!

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post

To the OP, that is really bad luck. Never had that happen to me (though I don't have a motorbike :-)) My advice would be get a car- if it happens again it will only fall on to a soft seat!!
    This watch died happy, with the wind in its hair. The watch in the car will fall off the wrist through boredom.

(Luckily my Dreadnought didn't fall off my wrist despite me riding my motorbike like a man possessed today)

Master
    I wear some fairly expensive Watches whilst riding my Harley and its something thats crossed my mind when riding specially the way they shake, what if my spring bar fails, you was unlucky it didn't just drop into your glove, if you was wearing them?

Apprentice
    Thats is a shame, I wonder if the clasp came undone or one of the springbars broke At least you have an excuse to treat yourself!
    Last edited by russ.gasper1; 22nd May 2015 at 19:43. Reason: spelling

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Never had it happened to me (thankfully!). My immediate thought was be thankful it wasn't a much more expensive watch (money wise), as I'm assuming this wouldn't be covered under standard personal possessions insurance?
    The insurance question is an interesting one. I'm a bit obsessive about this as I had to claim for a stolen watch a few years ago.

Strictly speaking, if it is an all risks personal possessions cover, it should be covered. However, not sure if "it fell off" would cut it as valid claim!

Would be interested to find out though, if the OP chooses/ is able to follow that route.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your comments everyone. Although not expensive, it certainly was a shame to lose it. MartinCRC created the watch and it was lovely. It seems this isn't a unique occurrence, but at least it seems pretty rare. I have worn watches on bracelets for over 40 yrs so I don't think it will put me off riding my bike wearing whatever I get to replace it. Mind you when I visit SC it's the two Harleys for sale that grab my attention at the moment - shaking or no shaking!

ATB

Jon

Aghhh sorry to hear that.

Just a thought - my Helson Shark Diver uses a two piece hexagonal spring bar that screws solidly into place via a tool supplied with the watch. The hexagonal ends are visible whilst seated in the drilled lugs so you can easily check that they are seated properly. It also makes changing straps a doddle. The only danger is if you deliberately overtighten the springbar as this will eventually thread the screw and could lead to a failure.

To my mind, this sytem is much more convincing, reliable and safe than traditional spring bars. If you like divers, maybe consider a Helson?

Very similar thing happened to me. Was on my pushbike and never noticed this falling off.

Gutted. Was a great mod and ran to 1s a day. It was purchased as a mod by me and I've not seen another. Was the rare time I took it off the NATO onto a strap.

Steve

What a shame - you must be gutted.

Without meaning to hijack your thread, I went go-karting a few years ago, wearing a yellow gold Rolex Date (on the gold bracelet, I might add) which my ex-brother in law had just given me that day in settlement of a debt he couldn't pay. After one of the heats, a marshall came up to me waving something gold in the air and asking "Is this yours, mate?"

It had been run over by a kart, and was completely decimated.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd May 2015 at 10:57.

this is the kind of thing that concerns me more and more as my collection pieces increase in value. But i want to wear them , gonna have to check out my insurance

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the Helston heads up - though I hope lightning won't strike twice (though I see another Seikpod has taken a hit :( But these pale besides Tony's gold Rolex misadventure. That must have really hurt, unless your insurance kicked in. I have never insured any of my watches, even though some were fairly expensive (eg a Sub and a some Speedmasters) /whilst car /bike insurance are a given I don't take house insurance beyond basic house and contents)

But despite the loss of a really nice of, I'm having fun trawling SC but nothing has grabbed me so far..

ATB

Jon

I never were a watch when riding (motor)bikes. Pretty uncomfortable on sports bikes and the habit has stuck.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57