closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Civvie CWC G10 serial number / date?

Civvie CWC G10 serial number / date?

I just picked up a CWC watch off the dreaded ebay which was poorly listed, although in the end, not that much of a bargain (not a bargain at all in fact - the old drink and ebay mixture was hard at work). Anyhow it's arrived and is exactly as described, but I'm struggling with the serial number. I think it must be a relatively new one, as it has the 'water resistant 5ATM on the caseback, but it does have tritium dial. The serial number is C1729. Is this a civvie one? If so, does that serial suggest a date of manufacture?
    It also has the numbering W10/6645-99 5415317 but I don't know if that's stamped on all casebacks?
    Also, the movement is a 955.102 It's a non runner, but I've yet to establish whether it's just a dead battery or something more fundamental.
    EDIT - just checked the battery which is reading 0.37V so it's safe to say that even if the movement's not dead, the battery is..
    Last edited by holio cornolio; 21st May 2015 at 17:21.

Apprentice
    It's a civilian version. Can't be very new if it has an ETA movement. Not sure of date of manufacture.

Is it a date model (Navigator)?

Quote Originally Posted by rodabod View Post
    It's a civilian version. Can't be very new if it has an ETA movement. Not sure of date of manufacture.

Is it a date model (Navigator)?
    Thanks Rodabod. No it's non date, standard G10 type as far as I can tell. I thought the current 'service watch' still had ETA movement? Not sure what other date clues could be used? (circle T dial? was there a cutoff date for that?)
    I've popped in a new crystal last evening, which was a proper pain in the arse. Bought a sternkreuz 316 ATCT, which is a tad taller than the OG crystal, but even with a reasonable crystal press, the crystal had to spend and hour in the freezer before it would consider fitting into the case. It's going nowhere now though!
    Last edited by holio cornolio; 22nd May 2015 at 06:39.

Well 1 battery later and the watch falls back into the (almost a) bargain category. Nothing wrong with it at all. Still stumped by the serial number though. In the final analysis, it's still a CVC G10 (unissued), which was sold as non running for the sake of a chipped crystal and a dead battery. I'm happy enough with that.

Quote Originally Posted by holio cornolio View Post
    Well 1 battery later and the watch falls back into the (almost a) bargain category. Nothing wrong with it at all.
    Could have been a whole lot worse!