closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The watch that wasn't, then was.

The watch that wasn't, then was.

About two years ago, I posted a WTB for a Sinn EZM1. I've always loved them, and I do have a lot of respect for the Lemania 5100 movement - and I was delighted when I received an email off-forum from a member here who potentially had one for sale. The watch was located in Europe, and there followed a flurry of emails as we tried to agree on an appropriate price; however, the deal was finally done and after a few days of waiting the package duly arrived. Sadly, it transpired that the watch needed a service, and under a loupe there were also some marks on the crystal that I wasn't happy about. The seller acted as any seller should and took it back, planning to have the work done at some point in the future; I then proceeded to move onto other things, and pretty much forgot about it.

I've kept my eye out since, but the EZM1 is a bloody nice watch and owners tend to hang on to them. However, a week or two ago a lovely example did pop up on SC, and shortly after that I attended the Norwich GTG and bumped into my old mate Jason there. Jason was actually wearing the 3H version, and after trying it on I realised that my yearning for one of my own hadn't really diminished. Long story short, I bought the one that was listed and have been wearing it now for a couple of days. The funny thing is, though, that upon opening the box and checking the paperwork, it turned out to be the exact same watch that I'd bought and returned previously. The service and crystal replacement had subsequently been carried out by Sinn, the Argon gas had been refilled and seals replaced, and the watch had been pressure tested. Brilliant, eh?

So a bit about the EZMI, for anyone not familiar with them... it's a titanium case (and bracelet), with a diameter of 40mm. In fact, the case is very similar in shape to my Heuer 2446C, which perhaps isn't all that surprising bearing in mind the association (if that's the right word) between Heuer and Sinn in years gone by. The crown and pushers are on the left (this was a particular request from the German ZUZ special forces, for whom it was originally designed, I believe) and inside is that absolute workhorse of a movement, the Lemania 5100. The 5100 has been criticised by some for it's very utilitarian design, but it's proved itself in the most trying of environments over the years and in the main is highly respected for what it is. It also provides for what is undoubtedly the cleanest of chronograph dials, in that there are no subdials whatsoever; there are no running seconds save for when the chronograph function is activated, and the chronograph counter is read from the minute track on the edge of the dial (the little hand with an aeroplane symbol on it, tucked under the main chrono hand when not in use, tracks expired time).

It's a real fit for purpose watch, with no frills whatsoever; in fact, my son saw it for the first time yesterday and immediately said "It looks like a military watch, Dad". I liked that, a lot :)

Last edited by learningtofly; 21st May 2015 at 14:04.

Marvellous. I eyed that up on SC but the timing wasn't right for me.

Please do get in touch if you decide to move it on in a couple of months time! :)

Blog Entries
    A real classic Tony, you should keep it, I still miss mine.

This just screams TOOLWATCH, and I've never seen a cleaner looking chrono.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

EZM1 was by far the only watch I really lusted after at the GTG, and you know how much serious wrist metal there was on the table.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    So this is a 60 minute chronograph? That's very cool. Great that it's the same watch as before; TZ has a habit of watches going around and I love that.

Lovely looking watch, I do like the clever chronograph layout and I'm a big fan of Ti cases

But, how do you set the time accurately with no seconds hand?
    I would have thought for a special forces watch, accurate timing would be essential, no?

Not a criticism, just curious, I've seen many nice, simple, watches that are 2 handers and have always wondered how the time is set correctly. Or is it a case of within a minute it'll do?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    Lovely looking watch, I do like the clever chronograph layout and I'm a big fan of Ti cases

I would have thought for a special forces watch, accurate timing would be essential, no?

Not a criticism, just curious, I've seen many nice, simple, watches that are 2 handers and have always wondered how the time is set correctly. Or is it a case of within a minute it'll do?
    Never bothered me, I just set it to ceefax, and never looked back.
    And, you can't get stressed about a few seconds as well :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    That dial really is a triumph of good, clear design; well wear!

Great watches, no doubt. Glad you got a good one Tony (well of course you did, all your watches are near-perfect).

I did a little review on ATG that has some nice additional info from Andy and Colin, for those interested.

My EZM1 is staying with me.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Never bothered me, I just set it to ceefax, and never looked back.
    And, you can't get stressed about a few seconds as well :)

Daddel.
    Yeah good point, funnily enough thats how I set mine even with a seconds hand, they only get retarded if over a couple of minutes fast, anything less than that I don't bother, as the rest of life is never 'that' accurate anyway.

I just wondered that's all, as some on here can be anally retentive when it comes to time keeping

Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post

I love two handers and very quickly learnt to set the time to the minute, rather than second. It's really that simple.
    Gray

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like that. Uncluttered German practicality.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things +/-1min isn't really crucial.
    And it does make for a clean look.
    Just a side note
    My father hates two handers, simply because "how do you know it's still going?"
    Then again being a precision engineer he likes seeing machines working.

I like the case (like the 2446c), I like the crown on the left, I like everything about it apart from that bloody date which appears to be suffering subsidence!

EZM1 is in a class of its own.
    Great pics, too.
    Enjoy it as long as you keep it.

Thanks all. I have/have had many watches without running seconds and I rather like it (less to be obsessive about). Simon, that "subsidence" you refer to is called a shadow ;)

Craftsman
    Nice pics Tony . I new it wouldn't be long before I saw it again !

I just wish Sinn would do the 3F in Ti

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    So this is a 60 minute chronograph? That's very cool. Great that it's the same watch as before; TZ has a habit of watches going around and I love that.
    It is a 60 minute chono in principle, however I have used the bezel pip against the hour hand on occasion which gives you 12 hours. Fantastic watch Tony and a very fine example at that!

I have really grown to love these minimal designs, they're just 'right'. I remember when it looked like Eddie was going to make a quartz 'mission timer' version of the prs17c a few years ago. It looked fantastic, and at grab and go quartz prices. Not sure what happened, probably an ETA movement availability issue? Whatever, like this Sinn it looked great

Great pics! My favourite watch and I managed to bag a LE version late last year myself. Looks great on a GGB too.

I was going to message you on Instagram Tony and ask what watch you had on… I just couldn't pick it from your collection and now I see its a new catch!! Looks lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Great pics! My favourite watch and I managed to bag a LE version late last year myself. Looks great on a GGB too.
    I've actually just put mine on the infamous cherry Zulu, and it looks outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    I was going to message you on Instagram Tony and ask what watch you had on… I just couldn't pick it from your collection and now I see its a new catch!! Looks lovely!
    Thanks, and well spotted.

Craftsman
    Very nice. I saw this on SC but alas, out of my price range at the moment. I'm waiting for a 144 to pop up but those are rarer still.
    Just checked to see if the Sinn leather strap with white stitching fits the EZM1 but it doesn't, shame.

Journeyman
    I like it! This model is certainly on my list, due to it's uniqueness

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Very nice. I saw this on SC but alas, out of my price range at the moment. I'm waiting for a 144 to pop up but those are rarer still.
    Just checked to see if the Sinn leather strap with white stitching fits the EZM1 but it doesn't, shame.
    Huh? The 144 is still available new, so it not that rare.
    And all the Sinn straps in black leather (all 4 of them) with white stitching are available in 20mm, so will fit.

D

I was looking at this in SC. That puts me out of my misery then... Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Simon, that "subsidence" you refer to is called a shadow ;)
    Nope, the date has definitely slipped from 3 downwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Simon, that "subsidence" you refer to is called a shadow ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Ah, got you

It's a real fit for purpose watch, with no frills whatsoever....

The EZM1 was the first ever Sinn that I became aware of and I've been a fan of the brand since then; I used to have a 757 and I currently have another Einsatzzeitmesser, a UX GSG9.

There's something about a watch that's designed and built for a purpose rather than just to exist, and the EZM1 is a fine example indeed.

Master
    'Clean' is the first word that springs to mind about that design, love it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Huh? The 144 is still available new, so it not that rare.
    And all the Sinn straps in black leather (all 4 of them) with white stitching are available in 20mm, so will fit.

D
    Looking for a used 144 not seen one on SC since I've been looking but there are a few in Europe.
    It was the Page & Cooper site, strap info listed all the watches it fitted but no EZM1. Perhaps I misread.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    Looking for a used 144 not seen one on SC since I've been looking but there are a few in Europe.
    It was the Page & Cooper site, strap info listed all the watches it fitted but no EZM1. Perhaps I misread.
    Sure, but there are 10 on Chrono24, for instance, so not rare, per se.
    And Page and Cooper have only existed since after the EZM1 (and even the LE) was discontinued, so I am not surprised they don't mention it.
    It is a normal 20mm lugged watch.
    D

Journeyman
    My favorite Sinn, heck one of my favorite watches in general. Enjoy!

Yup, that's nice. IMHO get the bracelet - there is something about Sinn bracelets that is very military/technical looking and it would really suit that watch.

Quick question - is it comfortable to wear and operate? I would worry about the chrono pushers/crown dogging into my forearm.

Nice watch, Tony. I wear one too. It is an incredibly comfortable watch. Titanium means it's light, the size is not bulky and it is nicely finished with slightly rounded edges. And the simplicity of the dial is really amazing on a 5100 chrono.

I used to wear it on the titanium bracelet but managed to source an original uncut ezm1 rubber, and now use that. It is really comfortable and looks great.

Nice write up as always and great pictures!

I do have the bracelet too, but I tend to wear my watches on straps; that said, I may give it a go and I quite like the idea of the rubber too. As for comfort, the only watch I can recall being more comfortable to wear was my Aerospace. It's very light but the slight bulk (when compared to the Aerospace, at least) means you still feel like you're wearing a watch. It's impossible for the crown or pushers to dig into your arm, Ryan.

This watch looks wonderful and it's a great case size too. Why on earth was it discontinued?!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    This watch looks wonderful and it's a great case size too. Why on earth was it discontinued?!
    Mainly because the movement was discontinued when Lemania were subsumed into Breguet. Sinn (& Damasko) have converted a 7750 into a central minute register (SZ-01) which feature in some of their new watches (EZM-10 / 140) but none so far have the minimalist features of the very focussed EZM1.

I've worn mine for over five years, use the chrono pretty much daily (fantastic for running as highly readable + intuitive scale) and it has been on numerous multi-day ultra races around the world with me during that time.

I wear it on a GGB most of the time:

I love the movement and the stripped down Sinn highlights further its readability qualities, a really well thought out watch.

So nice I have a few :)

^^^ Looks great on the GGB. I'll endeavour to post a shot of mine on the cherry Zulu later - it matches the dial text perfectly.

Here is my reissue

Bought brand new and has had a problem with the chrono from day one.
    If I leave the Chrono running,it keeps on stopping every few min. No problem with chrono not running.
    Could have sent it for repair under warranty but did not.

And here is what I would consider the ideological heir to
    EZM 1- the EZM 13 with SZ02, a modified 7750
    While not as minimalistic , is still a very fine watch.

Yes, I do like the 13 a lot. Room for both, I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s View Post
    Tony.

Mind if I ask what that strap is? GGB?

Quote Originally Posted by waser View Post
    Mind if I ask what that strap is? GGB?
    No worries - it's a GasGasBones SPV2 - http://www.gasgasbones.com/ggb-goodi...raps/spv2.html

Nice watches these Sinn.
    I admit some passing interest due to the case resembling the Heuer 2446C but i was most impressed the first time i laid eyes on one upon a customers wrist last year. He had it on a grey sail cloth strap & my word the combo was outstanding. I've been thinking of them ever since.

This is still very much on my want list too. Lovely watch Tony

The watch that wasn't, then was.

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s View Post
    No worries - it's a GasGasBones SPV2 - http://www.gasgasbones.com/ggb-goodi...raps/spv2.html
    Thanks. Love it. I'll post a pic of mine on a GGB in a few days.

On GGB zero zero:

Like the buckle!