closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-27B battery change...

PRS-27B battery change...

Changed battery (tested and fine) but not working. Have I missed something obvious? Have done it before and it has started working immediately.

I find battery changin on this movement a bit fiddly. Check the metal strip opposite the battery strap, it's easy to fold it down when fitting a new battery.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Thanks. Is that the strip underneath the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
    Thanks. Is that the strip underneath the battery?
    No, there's one that should run vertical up the side of the battery on the opposite side from where the battery strap screw is. If it's flat underneath the battery, you may have pushed it down when you fitted the new battery.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Oops. Will have a look. Thank you. :)

Another thought: there's a plastic insulating film underneath the battery, is that still there?

Eddie

Will check that out, too. I have been a bit busy when the light is good. Those eco bulbs are awful for working on watches.

Plastic bit is in place. Not sure what I'm looking for re the vertical strip:

It's the right-angle piece of brass which sometimes gets bent out of place but it looks fine in that picture.

Eddie

Ah. Damn.

Any other suggestions? Shame if I've done something stupid. I'm sure it was easy last time I changed the battery.

The movement needs testing and I don't have the equipment to do that, sorry.

Eddie

Damn. Thanks. :)

Update: had someone change the battery who was a lot more skillful than me. Still didn't work. Reckon it needs a new movement. Not sure what to do now. A new movement will probably cost what I paid. Shame as I do like the watch.

I have replaced the battery on mine a few times but I lost the date function some time ago. I also assume a new movement would similar to the price of a new watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowejackson View Post
    I have replaced the battery on mine a few times but I lost the date function some time ago. I also assume a new movement would similar to the price of a new watch.
    :( I could put up with the date not working as I hardly bothered to set the date.

I was quoted £70 at Timpsons.

I am considering selling this watch at £20. What do you think? (I just paid out £260 on new tyres yesterday!)

Ronda 519 with date at 6 is £8.90 from Cousins.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2q1...sources/59.htm

Eddie

I was recently amazed at how cheap quartz movements are, Mywife's Breil chrono packed up an a new movement with battery was £14. Good result !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Ronda 519 with date at 6 is £8.90 from Cousins.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A2q1...sources/59.htm

Eddie
    Crikey. That's cheap.

Wonder how much it'd cost someone competent (ie not me) to fit it.

Quote Originally Posted by notnowkato View Post
    I was recently amazed at how cheap quartz movements are, Mywife's Breil chrono packed up an a new movement with battery was £14. Good result !!!!
    A few years ago a mate of mine brought a Harrods branded Cartier ladies watch to me because it had stopped. It needed a new quartz movement which although not branded "Cartier", cost £8.

Eddie

£8!? How much was the watch? :D

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja View Post
    £8!? How much was the watch? :D
    It made over £400 on eBay when fixed and this was around 1998.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    It made over £400 on eBay when fixed and this was around 1998.

Eddie
    Crikey. Good going for a fix!