closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Crown bruise

Master

Crown bruise

I have a perma-bruise on the back of my left hand from the crowns on divers. Anyone else suffer from this?

For the last month or so I've been wearing either a (effectively) dress watch that doesn't hit that area, or a watch that has no crown in that position, but the bruise remains (and thinking about it, it's probably been there for twenty years).

Can't say I do. Do you wear your watch very low down on the wrist? Mine is high up enough that the crown doesn't touch my hand.

Master
    Yes, tend to wear pretty low and, if on bracelet, a little loose too (my wrist expands and contracts like a bulb of mercury).

But I notice, from many of the wrist shots that pop up on here, that a good percentage of us do.

Master
    As a golfer this was something I came across years ago. Rolex's advice ( for all ) is that you should wear the watch not in the joint of your wrist, where it will suffer massive torsional forces ( which often leave the links nearest the head of a watch slightly twisted after a number of years ), but above the ulnar styloid ( the projecting bone an inch or so above the line of articulation ).

This removes the torsional forces applied to the bracelet and moves any projecting crowns just far enough away that they will no longer mark the back of your wrist / lower back of your hand.

Sadly, it often means that a watch that everyone should really be admiring is then slightly more obscured by your shirt cuffs !

Now I just have the problem of getting my membrum virile through normal size doors.

With kind regards,

Haywood Milton
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 18th May 2015 at 11:41.

:)

I dont have have bruise but I do have a mark, for years of a crown gently resting against that area.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    you should wear the watch... above the ulnar styloid ( the projecting bone an inch or so above the line of articulation ).
    How can anyone wear a watch below the ulnar styloid? That would be incredibly uncomfortable! Also, it would dig into your hand.

...Oh.

Craftsman
    I don't suffer on a day to day basis, but if I wearmy Seiko diver mountain biking I tend to end up with a nice bruise from it banging around. It's tight enough for every day wear, clearly not tight enough to withstand the vibration from all the impacts. I tend not to wear it on the bike now if I know a lot of serious off road will be involved.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I have a perma-bruise on the back of my left hand from the crowns on divers. Anyone else suffer from this?

For the last month or so I've been wearing either a (effectively) dress watch that doesn't hit that area, or a watch that has no crown in that position, but the bruise remains (and thinking about it, it's probably been there for twenty years).
    Always a problem with this sir. Even took to wearing my divers on right wrist at times.

Solution was to wear the watch on right fairly loose, now I get smaller bruises all over my hand and not in ONE place.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    i dont, but i always wear on my right wrist so crown dig has never been an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    How can anyone wear a watch below the ulnar styloid? That would be incredibly uncomfortable! Also, it would dig into your hand.

...Oh.
    Hand pointing down perhaps...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A380 View Post
    Always a problem with this sir. Even took to wearing my divers on right wrist at times.

Solution was to wear the watch on right fairly loose, now I get smaller bruises all over my hand and not in ONE place.
    Lol
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    The only solutions are to wear it snug in the winter and on a strap in the summer.

But what a faff it would be wearing above the wrist joint.

How could you check the time easily wearing anything long sleeved ? You'd have to hoink up your sleeve to an unacceptable degree. It really would be easier to get a phone out,

And personally speaking, I think it looks a bit naff

Never happened to me. Try a watch with the crown on the left side of the case.

Hmm. I wear my watch on my right wrist and frankly I don't understand why the crown is on the left hand side on most watches. I have owned a few 'destro' watches through, and have never had a bruise or a mark left by a crown. If I did I think I'd buy a watch that didn't injure me on an ingoing basis?!

I wore my Sub for many years and developed much the same perma-bruise/marking. At one point it actually became quite painful.

It was not helped by sitting at a desk using a PC and being left handed.

I still have the Sub but now rarely, if ever, wear it for work. Chopping and changing day to day has reduced the mark substantially and man logic means I can buy more watches for 'health reasons'.

Craftsman
    I wear my watches quite snug fitting, I find my revue thommen 300m diver digs in sometimes, but rotating around means marks don't stay long.

Can't beat my orange monster for comfort and a 4 o clock crown

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    Never happened to me. Try a watch with the crown on the left side of the case.
    Actually I am! Had my heritage ranger spun to destro for exactly this reason

Interesting thread.
    I wear divers 90% of time and on left wrist and usually a tad loose but never had crown dig in. If you wear it a little loose, actually less chances of the crown digging into your wrist as when you extend/dorsiflex your wrist the watch just shifts.
    Haywood has an interesting point about wearing it above the ulnar styoid but I don't like it too high on the wrist and anyway since I wear it a little loose, it always slips down to over the styloid.
    About the other problem that Haywood mentioned I considered partial amputation but in the end just changed all normal doors in my house to double doors.😄

Journeyman
    I use to wear my SMP loose and I ended up with crown bruise, wore it like this for 15 years. Took half a link out and it disappeared in about a month.

I don't have a crown mark, since I wear my watches fairly tight, and not hanging off wrist like a bracelet.

But from wearing watches from at least the age of 5, my wrist has a permanent recess for watches to sit in, my right wrist is .5-1" larger

I always get it with my Speedy and even thought about wearing it on my right wrist but it just looked wrong and using the chrono functions was awkward on the right. I have fairly boney 7.5inch wrists that tend to swell with the temperature/tiredness so have to wear bracelets a bit loose. Tempted to buy a Rolex sports reference just for the link adjustments.

Occasionally I do. I make sure I take at least a week off work to mend :roll:

Journeyman
    I don't have this bruise, and I even wear a Panerai all day... Granted, it does attempt to maim me sometimes, especially after being on a bike for a while.

with a watch on a bracelet it will typically always be hanging down on your wrist. A watch on a rubber/leather on the other hand has more grip and is less likely to rest crowns on the end of the wrist. This is one reason why I seldom use diver watches with bracelets.

Also, the older you get, the slower you body regenerates and repairs which is why older people stink more. It will probably take a very long time for those marks to disappear but it probably doesn't matter anyway.
    Last edited by LonginesManiac; 19th May 2015 at 01:38.

This is going to add another dimension to the Friday thread; spotting whether watches are being worn above or below the ulnar styloid (which until today I had referred to as 'that knobbly bit on your wrist').

Clearly wrist shape and strap choice also have a significant bearing on the likelihood of a crown related contusion - I have been wearing a PRS-82 on a NATO this weekend, on my left wrist above said knobbly bit. The crown is quite hefty but well clear of my skin, however when I swap it to my right arm it rests firmly in the flesh.

Occasionally the crown gives me a headache

I always wear my watches ABOVE the Ulnar, so no, I never get a bruise on the back of my hand from crowns.

I must say, it always causes me almost physical pain when I see photos of people wearing watches BELOW the Ulnar and the crown sticking in the back of their hand!

I'm surprised more people don't get this problem TBH.

M

Craftsman
    I personally wear my watch above the "ulnar styloid", I can't stand seeing a watch worn low resting on a person's hand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    I personally wear my watch above the "ulnar styloid", I can't stand seeing a watch worn low resting on a person's hand.
    +1

Looks ridiculous, as if you are trying to show of even in long sleeves...........:)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    I'm a no problem above the knobbly bit old git.

I take back my post about not having a crown bruise!

I was wondering last night why i have a random red mark on my wrist after i took my comedy "wrist shot", and its turns out its from the crown (at 10 o'clock) for the inner roating bezel on my watch.

Journeyman
    I dress to the right, so to speak, so don't really suffer from this problem.
    In the interest of full disclosure I wear smaller watches below and larger watches above my ulnar styloid.

Master
    I wonder how many search results would have come up for "ulnar styloid" before this thread !

What have I started......

H

1) leftie crown
    2) 4 o'clock crown
    2) adjust bracelet for summer/winter
    3) titanium is lighter, plastic/resin even lighter
    4) keep below 41mm diameter
    Problem solved
    Some heavy dive watches might even merit converting to a leftie crown if it can be done. Just been done to a couple of PRS's on the TF forum and thinking of doing it to mine (PRS18q) as it's much heavier than I'm used to.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I wonder how many search results would have come up for "ulnar styloid" before this thread !

What have I started......

H
    A goodie - because prior to this thread I performed a Google search or two (because mention of it would have been in the body of my post) and failed to find the correct term! You have contributed to the education of the masses HM!

A goodie - because prior to this thread I performed a Google search or two (because mention of it would have been in the body of my post) and failed to find the correct term! You have contributed to the education of the masses Dr HM!
    Edited for accuracy. Welcome to the fold!

Only ever had issues with crowns when cycling..then for the rest of the day!

Master
    A goodie - because prior to this thread I performed a Google search or two (because mention of it would have been in the body of my post) and failed to find the correct term! You have contributed to the education of the masses HM!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Edited for accuracy. Welcome to the fold.....Dr HM!
    Both made me smile !

H

I wear my watches fairly loose and don't get the crown bruise, but I do sometimes end up with something similar depending on how much typing I'm doing at work. I often take my watch off to stop it interfering with the keyboard. I find a break does help.

I note that a lot of more senior individuals wear their watches up nice and high (along with their trousers), maybe the older generation were used to harder, more potentially watch damaging work and so kept them well out of the way.

for the avoidance of any doubt I am in no way suggesting that you high wrist wearers are geriatric; each to their own

Yep, I've had a pretty nasty mark on my left hand for years. I think part of the reason is that I generally wear quite chunky watches and have a small and slight wrist.

The last few months though I've been wearing my Aerospace A LOT and the mark has all but faded.

Banned
    I suffer through the pain, marks, bruises, scars and lacerations, it is after all worth it, to be able to wear a big impressive chunky heavy watch. No pain, No gain, right? Just grin and bear it, guys, and remember to flash your watch every 5 minutes or so.

Master
    A friend gets this issue. The Rolex that seems best is perhaps the Sea Dweller, because it is quite raised off the wrist.
    You could always get a left handed Panerei.

The Omega SMP was the worst watch I ever wore for the crown bruise problem. My SM 120 is almost as bad and has the same low-slung pointy crown.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    +1

Looks ridiculous, as if you are trying to show of even in long sleeves...........:)

Daddel.
    +2

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I suffer through the pain, marks, bruises, scars and lacerations, it is after all worth it, to be able to wear a big impressive chunky heavy watch. No pain, No gain, right? Just grin and bear it, guys, and remember to flash your watch every 5 minutes or so.
    Wow! Impressive thread dredge just to troll!

Right handed with watch on the right wrist - on close consideration it seems my bracelet rides right over the small bony prominence .
    I was however disappointed when I realized that I would not be able to wear a ploprof without serious injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk