closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Technos Sky Diver 1000m - Restore or not?

Technos Sky Diver 1000m - Restore or not?

I need some advice regarding this Technos Sky Diver 1000m that I was lucky enough to buy recently. It is in a very decent condition. The photos below were taken on the day it arrived (please forgive the flexi bracelet, it arrived on it) and show it in a worse state than it actually is.

This model is genuinely hard to find for sale and those that I have seen are changing hands for crazy money. A decent one on ebay recently sold for £1400 and many are being advertised for alot more. With the inherent value being what it is and the fact that I paid a fraction of its potential value, I feel it may be an opportune time to finally use the restorative services of Rocco @ Watchworks. The case does has alot of life left in it but I feel its design and differing finishes would really lend itself to a quality restoration. There are a several small dings here and there but no severe damage. As for the rest of the watch, the dial and hands are pretty much prefect. The bezel insert is also good, could do with a clean though. The crystal has several dings that look worse in the photos than they are. The thickness is supposedly 6mm and whilst it may be impossible to source a replacement, having one custom made is not out of the question.

So, I suppose what I really want to know is, would I be wasting my time and money having this work done? Am I desecrating its history and therefore value by restoring it?

Is that the same case as a Certina DS-3 Super? If so, I vaguely recall the occasional NOS case appearing on eBay which would be another option for you.

I had one, yes, it's a redialled / rebranded Certina ph 1000 . Case and cosmetic parts are super rare to find, the crystal is crazy thick and will have to be custom made... It doesn't look too bad, maybe a light case restore and look into the crystal manufacture ?

Actually, thinking about it I would leave it as is except for the crystal... I think Jack at IWW has done them in the past...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Good photo of the crazy crystal here....
    http://www.watchtime.com/blog/dive-w...superph-1000m/

Thanks Jason. There is not a lot of info about these watches so any info is appreciated.

Leave it as is! I'm not a fan of refinishing cases if the watch hasn't already been refinished, these tool watches should retain their knocks and bangs.

If I may add my opinion.

1 - don't touch the case - it is fine, and should have scars
    2 - service the movement
    3 - You may well find that Rocco will not do it, he is back to being a one-man band and very high demand has meant he is very specific about wht he takes on.
    4 - Finally, Rocco's case-re-finishing is best on brushed and sunburst brushed cases. This was never either of those things.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    If I may add my opinion.

1 - don't touch the case - it is fine, and should have scars
    2 - service the movement
    3 - You may well find that Rocco will not do it, he is back to being a one-man band and very high demand has meant he is very specific about wht he takes on.
    4 - Finally, Rocco's case-re-finishing is best on brushed and sunburst brushed cases. This was never either of those things.

Dave
    I slightly beg to differ on that one, my Certina has very fine circular brushing to the upper face of the midcase, almost satin in apearence with fine grain, the rest is polished, I would be surprised if its not the original finish..
    Agree on the rest, the Technos version has a ETA movement verses the Certinas Certina one so servicing should be a doddle...

Thanks guys, alot of valid points made.

I think I may be on the side of leaving the case as is at the moment. Other than a general clean along with the movement service. I may drop Rocco an email just to see what he says/recommends anyway. Can't hurt.

The sticking point is the crystal. I suppose a custom made one is my only option. Will check the forum search for users experiences but if anyone can recommend somebody i'd appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    I slightly beg to differ on that one, my Certina has very fine circular brushing to the upper face of the midcase, almost satin in apearence with fine grain, the rest is polished, I would be surprised if its not the original finish..
    Agree on the rest, the Technos version has a ETA movement verses the Certinas Certina one so servicing should be a doddle...
    Mine has the exact finish you describe, albeit faded by wear. That is why I thought it might be right up Roccos' street. If I were to to go down the complete overhaul route then Rocco is really the only person I would consider to get the finish perfect.

Craftsman
    sorry, i'm not sure...are the hands original???

Quote Originally Posted by Jennycaribbean View Post
    sorry, i'm not sure...are the hands original???
    Yes, absolutely ..
    Cheers..
    Jase

It does look pretty fab as is, but that's w/out seeing it in the flesh, as it were, and from your perspective.

Does the technos command a bigger price than the certina, due to rarity?

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    It does look pretty fab as is, but that's w/out seeing it in the flesh, as it were, and from your perspective.

Hard to say really, neither come up for sale often enough to be sure. Lots of watch for the money though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I had one, yes, it's a redialled / rebranded Certina ph 1000 . Case and cosmetic parts are super rare to find, the crystal is crazy thick and will have to be custom made... It doesn't look too bad, maybe a light case restore and look into the crystal manufacture ?
    I don't quite understand,Jason.

Are you saying these started their lives as Certina Ph and were redialled? Interesting.
    I have this somewhere and is in pretty good shape except for the hands.

No sorry Raj, I meant the same cases were used by both Technos and Certina. redialled was the wrong phrase to use really..

Crystals.

I know not the perfect option but crystals can be fabricated using two crystals of different sizes and laminating them using UV glue, sounds a bit crap but i've had good results doing this for Doxa's, etc that use a similair 'top-hat' shaped crystal.....you'd need the original though to get the dimensions.

Best,

James.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamboat10 View Post
    I know not the perfect option but crystals can be fabricated using two crystals of different sizes and laminating them using UV glue, sounds a bit crap but i've had good results doing this for Doxa's, etc that use a similair 'top-hat' shaped crystal.....you'd need the original though to get the dimensions.

Best,

James.
    Now that is interesting to know. Thanks James. I suppose a special adhesive is needed to bond the two together?..........edit: sorry just seen you state UV glue.
    Last edited by Fuser; 19th May 2015 at 23:09.

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post

Hard to say really, neither come up for sale often enough to be sure. Lots of watch for the money though.
    Jason is right, it is hard to compare price when both rarely come up for sale. I looked into this while I waited for mine to arrive and if you go by current sales ads, historical prices from eBay, forums etc I do think the Technos has the edge in terms of price. I think it may well be the rarer of the two.

I certainly think the Technos is rarer but that doesn't automatically mean worth more or more desirable , the Certina is the more iconic and well known so maybe that has a premium ? Who knows? Both are brilliant watches.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quick update. Had a reply from Watchworks. Was told they were not prepared to work on the Technos because they did not have a replacement crystal. A polite way of saying thanks but no thanks, which I fully accept and expected.

On a quick side note, for anyone interested, I also inquired about having a vintage Breitling 816 serviced/restored (Grandfathers old watch) and was told he could not work on it because Breitling had not given him accreditation for vintage watches. I'm pretty sure I saw a thread somewhere where Rocco had restored a vintage Navitimer.

I certainly think the Technos is rarer but that doesn't automatically mean worth more or more desirable , the Certina is the more iconic and well known so maybe that has a premium ? Who knows? Both are brilliant watches.
    Agreed. To be honest I find the Certina the more desirable of the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuser View Post
    Agreed. To be honest I find the Certina the more desirable of the two.
    I would agree.

I have not been able to find anyone able to fabricate a crystal for the Technos. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it. UK based is preferable.

Looking further afield I am going to send emails to Jack @ IWW and various glass fabricators and machinists.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    What's going on here http://www.techonce.net/threads/1266...Restore-or-not - robotic reposting?
    WTF? I have no idea. Never heard of the website or the poster. A bit disconcerting to be honest.

What is robotic reposting and why would somebody even go to the trouble? Even the replies are the same with the names changed.

WTF is that?
    How did you stumble upon that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuser View Post
    WTF? I have no idea. Never heard of the website or the poster. A bit disconcerting to be honest.

What is robotic reposting and why would somebody even go to the trouble? Even the replies are the same with the names changed.
    I imagine they have some program to replicate threads/posts rather than someone doing it 'by hand', maybe to drive traffic to their site for advertising. Many of these are TZ threads:

http://www.techonce.net/forums/156-Wrist-Watches

I quite like being Tatiana...
    Cheers..
    Jase

Anyway, back on topic...

Someone in this (admittedly very old) post had a crystal made - maybe he could help if he's still around http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...-From-The-Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Anyway, back on topic...

Someone in this (admittedly very old) post had a crystal made - maybe he could help if he's still around http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...-From-The-Dead.
    Thank you Kingstepper. I have seen this thread on my travels and PM'd the guy that has a contact of someone is Finland but he never replied. Seeing as he only posted 3 times on the entire forum he is probably not active and/or never checks that email anymore.

Still looking for someone to custom make a crystal for me. Long shot, but does anyone have the dimensions of the crystal to hand? Would take the crystal out of mine but it looks like a nightmare on this watch without proper tools.

Thanks all.