closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on value of 1980 Comex 5513 NOS

Also Comex were pretty much THE commercial diving company, and while they helped to test a number of watches from a number of manufacturers including Omega, Rolex was what they went with and issued. I believe the Seadweller was designed off the back of Comex feedback and Rolex Pressure tests its divers watches using Comex designed equipment.

The 2 could be regarded as synonymous in some respects.

And not many, relatively speaking, exist never mind a NOS example
    Last edited by tekbow; 23rd May 2015 at 22:28.

Master
    Comex was a pioneer of much commercial diving from the late 1960s I think, in fact often employing former military divers, a large contingent of whom were from the UK. Our Clearance Divers are little recognised, but rightly legendary in their field.

Their needs for equipment that could function dependably at greater depths led to a unique collaboration with Rolex, whose booklets contained direct reference to Comex for decades.

You can get a flavour of the models which Comex used from my signature ( below ) which I use on another forum, but not this one, which lists the models I currently own. In the early days there were 5513s, rather special ones with helium escape valves, some with Comex logo dials and some not. I own one of the first few dozen by issue number. Then came 5514s, a unique reference model supplied only to Comex, again with or without logo dials. 1665 Sea-Dwellers ( 600m rather than 610m dial, and a logo ), 1680 Submariner, 16800 Submariner ( presentation watches after ten years service ), 16610 and 16600 followed, with a few more twists that I can't cover in a quick précis. They comprise a few thousand watches in total, but often just a few hundred or fewer of any specific permutation.

The various series of model variants, dials and Comex case-back numbers provide collectors with the sort of rewarding returns for study / progressive acquisition that they love.

While some over the years were given as gifts, used by office staff or simply sold outside the company, they were not available to the public. The proper tool watches with appropriate provenance are, in the main, worth more than a minty watch that never got wet.

There are some lovely stories surrounding the watches. Were some shipped in the bottom of a dive bell, a welded floor away from having to pay any import duty?

Thanks to a very good pal, I have a copy of the actual Rolex manifest detailing my 1665 Comex and its brothers delivered all those decades ago: a precious document matching Comex numbers to Rolex case numbers, establishing delivery date and location.

The men who owned the "working" watches were a different breed. My own Comex 1665 came with a copy of a dive log, detailing work in the North Sea which was often highly dangerous ( working in a collapsing trench at frightening depth ) or moving ( recovering bodies from a helicopter crash off a rig ). These were cutting edge, professional watches often used at the frontiers of man's experience, with sufficiently visible differences from mainstream models as to excite collector interest.

Some of you may have taken an hour to read the detailed memoir of a former RN Clearance Diver and then Comex diver who had sold me his Double Red 1665. I haven't read a more humbling account of another man's life, nor a better illustration of their watches' place in history. It is real life James Bond / Boy's Own stuff.

Call us mad, but there are sufficient people mad enough to throw big money at these historic watches to sustain the market for the foreseeable future, if not drive it ever higher.

For many Rolex collectors they are a grail, and the internet over the last 15 years has exposed a whole new world of collectors to their desirability.

If you have the chance to buy one, don't try to buy it cheap; just buy it as well as you can, enjoy it, and its value will probably take care of itself. Speaking as a boat and car man, I'd say that such watches are one of the less potty things a chap can get excited collecting.

Haywood

Comex 5513, Comex 5514, Comex 1665, Comex 16800 (x2), Comex 16600, Mil sub 5517 (x2), Mil sub 5513 (x9), Mil sub 5512, Submariner 6536/1, Milgauss 1019 (x3), DRSD 1665 (x2), Great White 1665, Disco-Dial Explorer II 1655 (x2), Submariner 5508, Submariner 1680 Red, Submariner 1680 White (x2), Submariner 5513 gilt Bart Simpson, Submariner 5513 gloss, Explorer 1016 (x2), Explorer 5500 and SeaKing GMT 116710LN.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 23rd May 2015 at 22:51.

Superb, Thanks Hayward.

Is the memoir you're referring to "Ask Forgiveness, Not Permission"?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    Superb, Thanks Hayward.

Is the memoir you're referring to "Ask Forgiveness, Not Permission"?
    No, it is a personal memoir that a true gentleman wrote for me on selling his watch to me. Over a couple of days he really found his voice, realising that he was detailing a legacy that he had never previously relayed to his family as much as satisfying my desire to learn some of his personal history.

I'll see if I can post it here, with all the necessary pictures.....

Haywood

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The HRV was designed because the lads kept popping the acrylic during deco. I have seen it happen with a SMP when the owner didn't unscrew!!!

any watch "lost" by its owner was charged at £76 by comex

no need for welded floors of diving bells for smuggling, you just open up a kelly ( gas storage cylinder), hide items and then pump to 50 bar or so.

mike
    Last edited by seadog1408; 23rd May 2015 at 23:09.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    No, it is a personal memoir.....I'll see if I can post it here, with all the necessary pictures.....
    The forum cannot cope ! It tells me that 59,010 words are too many for one post and that I should shorten it to 15,000 :-)

H

wow, that would be appreciated, if it's possible, Thankyou

Edit: laughing at forum post limits ;)

The forum cannot cope ! It tells me that 59,010 words are too many for one post and that I should shorten it to 15,000 :-)

H
    New thread...first 4 posts?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    New thread...first 4 posts?
    Sheesh, I waste enough of my life on chuffing watch fora......look, with apologies to Eddie ( please remove if inappropriate ), here is a direct link to the thread on --- dum dum DERRRR --- another watch forum !

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...highlight=Thor

Best to get a cup of tea and some hobnobs ready before you start reading.

Haywood

Sweet! Cheers :)

Master
    Comex was a pioneer of much commercial diving from the late 1960s I think, in fact often employing former military divers, a large contingent of whom were from the UK. Our Clearance Divers are little recognised, but rightly legendary in their field.

Their needs for equipment that could function dependably at greater depths led to a unique collaboration with Rolex, whose booklets contained direct reference to Comex for decades.

You can get a flavour of the models which Comex used from my signature ( below ) which I use on another forum, but not this one, which lists the models I currently own. In the early days there were 5513s, rather special ones with helium escape valves, some with Comex logo dials and some not. I own one of the first few dozen by issue number. Then came 5514s, a unique reference model supplied only to Comex, again with or without logo dials. 1665 Sea-Dwellers ( 600m rather than 610m dial, and a logo ), 1680 Submariner, 16800 Submariner ( presentation watches after ten years service ), 16610 and 16600 followed, with a few more twists that I can't cover in a quick précis. They comprise a few thousand watches in total, but often just a few hundred or fewer of any specific permutation.

The various series of model variants, dials and Comex case-back numbers provide collectors with the sort of rewarding returns for study / progressive acquisition that they love.

While some over the years were given as gifts, used by office staff or simply sold outside the company, they were not available to the public. The proper tool watches with appropriate provenance are, in the main, worth more than a minty watch that never got wet.

There are some lovely stories surrounding the watches. Were some shipped in the bottom of a dive bell, a welded floor away from having to pay any import duty?

Thanks to a very good pal, I have a copy of the actual Rolex manifest detailing my 1665 Comex and its brothers delivered all those decades ago: a precious document matching Comex numbers to Rolex case numbers, establishing delivery date and location.

The men who owned the "working" watches were a different breed. My own Comex 1665 came with a copy of a dive log, detailing work in the North Sea which was often highly dangerous ( working in a collapsing trench at frightening depth ) or moving ( recovering bodies from a helicopter crash off a rig ). These were cutting edge, professional watches often used at the frontiers of man's experience, with sufficiently visible differences from mainstream models as to excite collector interest.

Some of you may have taken an hour to read the detailed memoir of a former RN Clearance Diver and then Comex diver who had sold me his Double Red 1665. I haven't read a more humbling account of another man's life, nor a better illustration of their watches' place in history. It is real life James Bond / Boy's Own stuff.

Call us mad, but there are sufficient people mad enough to throw big money at these historic watches to sustain the market for the foreseeable future, if not drive it ever higher.

For many Rolex collectors they are a grail, and the internet over the last 15 years has exposed a whole new world of collectors to their desirability.

If you have the chance to buy one, don't try to buy it cheap; just buy it as well as you can, enjoy it, and its value will probably take care of itself. Speaking as a boat and car man, I'd say that such watches are one of the less potty things a chap can get excited collecting.

Haywood

Comex 5513, Comex 5514, Comex 1665, Comex 16800 (x2), Comex 16600, Mil sub 5517 (x2), Mil sub 5513 (x9), Mil sub 5512, Submariner 6536/1, Milgauss 1019 (x3), DRSD 1665 (x2), Great White 1665, Disco-Dial Explorer II 1655 (x2), Submariner 5508, Submariner 1680 Red, Submariner 1680 White (x2), Submariner 5513 gilt Bart Simpson, Submariner 5513 gloss, Explorer 1016 (x2), Explorer 5500 and SeaKing GMT 116710LN.
    Fascinating, Haywood. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Banned
    Thank you so much, HM, you really should write a book about your experiences. I would love to read it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Thank you so much, HM, you really should write a book about your experiences. I would love to read it.
    I have none. Always on piggng watch fora.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 24th May 2015 at 00:53.

Stunning read, sincere thanks for that!

Thanks Haywood! You provided a nice learning experience and it is appreciated.

I´m quite awestruck, brilliant story HM, and a great collection.

Apprentice
    WOW - what an explanation, this is the reason watch forums exist, many thanks for history.

Sheesh, I waste enough of my life on chuffing watch fora......look, with apologies to Eddie ( please remove if inappropriate ), here is a direct link to the thread on --- dum dum DERRRR --- another watch forum !

Haywood
    Ah! I see what you mean and I'm sure Eddie won't mind...he has to put up with a lot of things that are worse than that. Many thanks for the pointer and your input in general...I'm still reading.

Master
    Fantastic read HM. Thank you.

Thank you so much for sharing HM. A truly great piece of diving history.

So many of these watches have history lost forever, some years ago now I facilitated a purchase between a forum friend in the U.S. and a retired Navy clearance diver here in the UK for his original Longines Legend diver that he bought himself over using the issued SM300 as he thought the internal bezel was a safer bet , I spent a great couple of hours with him listening to his stories and history when we met for the deal. He also wrote his history and the watches history down in a lovely letter to the buyer... A nice touch. I'm not sure if the letter was posted on a forum, I'll ask him if he wouldn't mind doing so here..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I surmise that it is the cachet of a true diver's watch as they were personal issue to and used by professional divers (link1 link2). Much like issued military watches, eg the MilSub and others.
    great links. thank you.

Craftsman
    Cool links thanks

Craftsman

Haywood
    Really enjoyed reading that, many thanks Haywood...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Slight thread drift......

Heywood could you please shed some light on the "SeaKing GMT 116710LN" in your profile please?

Ta.