closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would I be Happy with a Patek?

Well, I'm now in the UK and about to venture off into the big bad world of Patek window shopping in London :)

Wish me luck ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well, I'm now in the UK and about to venture off into the big bad world of Patek window shopping in London :)

Wish me luck ;)
    Make sure to head to the Patek boutique, they are a very friendly bunch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to your views after hammering the London shops!!! Particularly since im also thinking of consolidating my Rolex collection into one or two watches (nowhere near the size of yours though :)

Well, a big thank you to Paul - Lawmowerman for his time and guidance yesterday - and a look at his lovely watches.

Patek were very good too, and I loved the steel Chrono/annual calendar, and name is down for a 5711 - so we will see which model I actually go for.

Did they give indication of waiting time for 5711?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Was the 5711 a easy choice personally compared to the others eg 5712? 5712 more interesting to me but guess 5711 gives you more of that stunning blue
    Last edited by kultschar; 23rd May 2015 at 14:42.

.. I loved the steel Chrono/annual calendar, and name is down for a 5711 - so we will see which model I actually go for.
    Scott, I'm confused. If your name is down for the 5711 (in white I assume), aren't you tied to this one (whereas you imply you have a choice)?

I have previously thought about selling my three Rolex and buying the white 5711. I'm just going to save for a bit and consolidate 2 (leaving me with an SD and the 5711, a fine combo I reckon). So, I'm not surprised by your thinking.

Well, a big thank you to Paul - Lawmowerman for his time and guidance yesterday - and a look at his lovely watches.

Patek were very good too, and I loved the steel Chrono/annual calendar, and name is down for a 5711 - so we will see which model I actually go for.
    My pleasure Scott - it was great to chat watches and take a look at your "beater" white gold Daytona!

That 5960 did look really good - please put me down as the first name on the pass around...!

All the best,

Paul

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Scott, I'm confused. If your name is down for the 5711 (in white I assume), aren't you tied to this one (whereas you imply you have a choice)?

I have previously thought about selling my three Rolex and buying the white 5711. I'm just going to save for a bit and consolidate 2 (leaving me with an SD and the 5711, a fine combo I reckon). So, I'm not surprised by your thinking.
    They will hold it for a few days / max of a week or so,once it arrives, and then it will go on general sale if I decline - so I can still change my mind.

The 5960 was lovely, and I really liked the 5726 too. Money no object the 5960 would have been bought yesterday - but it's not 120m WR (which I think the Natilus).

I don't know how Scott's arrangement works, but I am also on a waiting list for a 5711 (blue-black dial). No contract (their preference), no deposit and I can pull out if I want to at any time (as if!). I know some ADs ask for deposits (a Nomos dealer once asked me for a 50% non-refundable deposit with no guarantee of a delivery timetable!), but I guess the PP5711 is so popular, the dealer wouldn't care too much if an applicant pulled out!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Whats the current UK list £ price for 5711 and 5712?

Is the 5712 easily available in London (unlike the 5711)

Master
    You've obviously not read the entire thread then...#78

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    You've obviously not read the entire thread then...#78
    Cheers!! Missed it!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    So :-

5711 : £16230

5712 : £21710

Or, in PP arithmetic, 5980 > 5711 + 5712
    I'd feel happier with:

5980 > (5711 + 5712)

I'd feel happier with:

5980 > (5711 + 5712)

Tautologous - but perhaps clearer!

I have just been looking at iconicwatches and I see that they are offering the 5711 with blue-black dial for £19,200! [ http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/patek...11-1a-010.html ]. It is not even in stock, so their mark-up seems extraordinary - or has there been a price increase that I missed (- in which case my suggested prices are rather erroneous) ?

Craftsman
    That is well above rrp. They do seem to be getting harder to get, maybe that is why they are putting a premium on it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats quite a markup and puts close to 5712 retail

PS - whats the waiting time approx for one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Thats quite a markup and puts close to 5712 retail

PS - whats the waiting time approx for one of these?
    None of the ADs I contacted would give a time, though one, with a large waiting list, said it would be at least two years!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    None of the ADs I contacted would give a time, though one, with a large waiting list, said it would be at least two years!
    Bit like the old Daytona days then :)

How about the 5712 - similar story? Was planning on trying both on when next over but I guess maybe not !!

The white dial 5711 I understand has some quite subtle changes and can appear cream. I was initially thinking that if I ever went for a 5711 it would be the blue dial . However, the White dial with black batons does look unique. I also prefer the White 5726 to the grey dial.

Any thoughts? Does anyone on the forum own a white nautilus?

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    The white dial 5711 I understand has some quite subtle changes and can appear cream. I was initially thinking that if I ever went for a 5711 it would be the blue dial . However, the White dial with black batons does look unique. I also prefer the White 5726 to the grey dial.

Any thoughts? Does anyone on the forum own a white nautilus?
    I agree with you about the white dial 5726, but for me the Nautilus is best kept simple - and black-blue!

The waiting list for a blue dial 5711 is such that my AD who pulled strings for me to get another difficult to get watch said that they could not quote a time for the 5711.
    I suspect that the PP boutiques get priority but even they are quoting times that are in years.
    The situation with the white face Nautilus is much better - it is not as popular and I could have had a 5711 or 5726/1A in white from stock. All the PP ADs and boutiques I have spoken to confirmed that it is not as popular - I have tried both the 5711 and 5726 /1A with white dial and IMHO they do not look that great.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    The waiting list for a blue dial 5711 is such that my AD who pulled strings for me to get another difficult to get watch said that they could not quote a time for the 5711.
    I suspect that the PP boutiques get priority but even they are quoting times that are in years.
    The situation with the white face Nautilus is much better - it is not as popular and I could have had a 5711 or 5726/1A in white from stock. All the PP ADs and boutiques I have spoken to confirmed that it is not as popular - I have tried both the 5711 and 5726 /1A with white dial and IMHO they do not look that great.
    PP boutiques seem to have the longest waiting lists. I went to a smaller, local A.D. I was the first on the list and to secure it further and confirm that I was a serious buyer I put down a cash deposit. I only ended up waiting 5 months which I was quite pleased with. my A.D has been told they won't be getting another one until 2016.
    I was in Watches of Switzerland in London a couple of months back and they told me their waiting list is at least 3 years at the moment.

We will see.

I probably still have a preference for white - but can change my mind (possibly wait longer though), but if I am spending that sort of money, I am going to buy what I like the look of and not what appears to be the most popular, just because the Asian markets does not have an appetite for white watches, and blue, black and grey dials are generally more popular - of course the bloody well are. However, I have enough blue and black dial watches to last a man a few lifetimes - so white it most likely will be ;) Shame there is no star burst silver though :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    PP boutiques seem to have the longest waiting lists. I went to a smaller, local A.D. I was the first on the list and to secure it further and confirm that I was a serious buyer I put down a cash deposit. I only ended up waiting 5 months which I was quite pleased with. my A.D has been told they won't be getting another one until 2016.
    I was in Watches of Switzerland in London a couple of months back and they told me their waiting list is at least 3 years at the moment.
    Yes but that is because PP boutiques are situated in big affluent cities where they are selling more watches.
    If you bought your Patek from Berry's in Newcastle then they will not have the same allocation in volume and model terms as the PP boutique in London, however they will not have as large a market of potential buyers so this works in your favour. The same situation as applies to the PP boutique probably applies to the Watches of Switzerland store in London who will probably have a bigger allocation than Berry's but have a potential larger number of buyers. When I spoke to both the manager of the flagship WoS store in London and compared the conversation I had with the PP boutique in London, it was clear to me that the PP boutique in London got more allocation and therefore priority.
    This impression has also been confirmed by reality in that the PP boutique in London is following up with delivery updates etc whereas the WoS have not yet been able to provide any updates.
    Last edited by chris56; 26th May 2015 at 16:29.

Craftsman
    Yes but that is because PP boutiques are situated in big affluent cities where they are selling more watches.
    If you bought your Patek from Berry's in Newcastle then they will not have the same allocation in volume and model terms as the PP boutique in London, however they will not have as large a market of potential buyers so this works in your favour. The same situation as applies to the PP boutique probably applies to the Watches of Switzerland store in London who will probably have a bigger allocation than Berry's but have a potential larger number of buyers. When I spoke to both the manager of the flagship WoS store in London and compared the conversation I had with the PP boutique in London, it was clear to me that the PP boutique in London got more allocation and therefore priority.
    This impression has also been confirmed by reality in that the PP boutique in London is following up with delivery updates etc whereas the WoS have not yet been able to provide any updates.
    Very true, all I'm saying is by going to a smaller AD you may pick up a 5711 quicker as they no doubt will have a shorter waiting list, in my case no waiting list at all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Does the boutique / salon in London have all watches available to try on regardless if sold out. Thought I read somewhere that they were supposed to have non working versions of each model for display purposes only.

Craftsman
    Does the boutique / salon in London have all watches available to try on regardless if sold out. Thought I read somewhere that they were supposed to have non working versions of each model for display purposes only.
    I haven't been but I have heard they do have display models to try.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I haven't been but I have heard they do have display models to try.
    Hopefully they do when I'm over. Maybe somebody else has been can confirm if true.....

Hopefully they do when I'm over. Maybe somebody else has been can confirm if true.....
    The PP boutique in London does not have every variant of every model that PP produce to try on - that would be nigh on impossible. I saw no evidence that they had non functioning models to try on either as that would be a bit tacky. From my experience, they seemed to have at least one variant of each model of the mainstream models in stock to try on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The PP boutique in London does not have every variant of every model that PP produce to try on - that would be nigh on impossible. I saw no evidence that they had non functioning models to try on either as that would be a bit tacky. From my experience, they seemed to have at least one variant of each model of the mainstream models in stock to try on.
    Thanks for the info!! I also thought the idea of "dummy" watches sounded tacky (bit like walking into carphone warehouse) but def read it somewhere on another forum (not necessary London), maybe someone talking bull..

Craftsman
    I read on TRF that the London and Geneva Salon do have dummy models for trying on, 5270 and 5235 were the two models mentioned.

Thanks for the info!! I also thought the idea of "dummy" watches sounded tacky (bit like walking into carphone warehouse) but def read it somewhere on another forum (not necessary London), maybe someone talking bull..
    When they do the road shows, with new models, they can sometimes use cases and separate moments to display some watches at dinners etc. this is because some buyers were apparently offended when they were unable to buy watches from the collection during the tour - I believe they allowed purchases previously, and a lot of the rarer more desirable models were sold before they had finished the tour - not great, if your are not at one of the 1st events - so they changed the process.

I must say that I didn't see any mock ups at the Patek dinner I attended - but then I didn't have the £745k for the watch Inreally liked either :(
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 26th May 2015 at 20:56.