closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would I be Happy with a Patek?

Would I be Happy with a Patek?

For those that know me from the forum, and those that don't, those who own a Patek, those who like them and those that don't...

Would I be happy with a 5711? Although I love some of the more complicated models, I'm a simple man, and have only one mechanical Chronograph (and no real desire for another), so a straight forward three handed would seem to fit the bill. Any watch I buy needs to be water resistant for any day use.

So... What are the pros are cons? I'd have to give up some watches, but lord knows I could do with, and probably should, reduce the numbers of watches I have anyway.

What are likely service intervals, and service prices?

Am I missing any particular models in consideration of this one? Any special edition, or boutique watches that are worth looking out for? Although I'm guessing they are probably sold out before they hit the stores?
    It's just a matter of time...

I went for a 5711 for all the reasons you said but am now commited to a more complicated Nautilus. To my mind the 5711 is an iconic watch; however, I also want to scratch the Patek complication itch. Like you, I have thinned my collection to accomplish this, which I currently feel is a positive move.

The quality of the 5711 is beyond reproach and I'll have it serviced when it starts to loose time. They feel rock solid and even if a service is required, the 3-handed is reasonable when you compare it to the MSRP. I'll try to dig out th exact price of a service for you.

As for special editions - not a common occurrence that I am aware of. I was invited to dinner at the Saachi gallery Patek event and was led to believe that there would be some models you could only purchase if you attended the event; however, I didn't attend, so this may have been a miscommunication.

Thank you.

I went to a Patek dinner/canapés thing last year, very nice. I've seen some Tiffiny boutique Patek models with dual branding, not something I've seen sincevthevold a Rolex watches.

Im fairly decided on the simple 5711 - but still have room to consider others, from Patek. I don't have a lot of cash, so it would come from selling off my existing watches or at least some of them. I just feel,like I have to try one out and see if it can keep my lower in numbers. Who knows it may lead on to a more complicated life ;)

Yes I was aware of the Tiffany link but can't say it appeals to me.

Service for an automatic, non-complicated, is circa £600 - this is a max figure and Patek suggest that if less is required, the charge will be lower (have to see if that is true!)

Price for service sounds quite reasonable for a Patek. I expected a fair bit higher - but I'm sure it will rise by the time Id need it doing ;)

hmmm mm food for thought - now, what to sell off ??? I still have a very small residual balance left on the mortgage - but once that's gone, any money from other watch related sales will be going on a Patek.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on a waiting list for one, so I hope we shall both be happy with a 5711!

PP advise (like most other makers) 3 to 5 years for servicing and when I checked the price it was in the region of £600 if nothing serious needs to be put right. My thinking is to have a first service at about 4 years since any problems tend to show more frequently early on and then probably go for 5-6 year intervals thereafter: what I shall actually do remains to be seen (many a slip ...)!
    Last edited by WatchIng; 16th May 2015 at 14:28. Reason: Typo

A PP is never going to happen for me unless I win the lottery. Having said that from an entirely personal stand point I think there are better looking PP's. To my eye the AP RO is the better looking and if I were after something of this style that's what I would choose. Of course you can't fault build quality of the case dial and movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    A PP is never going to happen for me unless I win the lottery. Having said that from an entirely personal stand point I think there are better looking PP's. To my eye the AP RO is the better looking and if I were after something of this style that's what I would choose. Of course you can't fault build quality of the case dial and movement.
    I lived on baked beans and porridge to afford frivolous purchase in the past, so it wouldn't be much of an additional hardship, I might even still afford to,put a sprinkle of cheese on the beans.

I have the possibility of becoming a full time student in the not too distant future, so it could almost be like a cashing out gift to myself :)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I have the possibility of becoming a full time student in the not too distant future, so it could almost be like a cashing out gift to myself :)
    Promise me you'll wear it at the Student Union when it's 2-for-1 night 😋

PP 5711 is an iconic watch but too me it felt too basic.
    I prefer the chronograph as it feels more substantial. I had the white faced three hander and while it looked gorgeous hardly wore it.

But, there are plenty who wear it with pride and joy.
    I guess you will only know once you try it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    I'm on a waiting list for one, so I hope we shall both be happy with a 5711!

PP advise (like most other makers) 3 to 5 years for servicing and when I checked the price it was in the region of £600 if nothing serious needs to be put right. My thinking is to have a first service at about 4 years since any problems tend to show more frequently early on and then probably go for 5-6 year intervals thereafter: what I shall actually do remains to be seen (many a slip ...)!
    Waiting list??

Master
    Although I seem to be moving towards three handers and selling my chrono's if I went PP I think I would have to 5712 not 5711. For me it adds that extra something, otherwise I cannot find a reason to justify this vs a AP RO (actually considerably prefer the RO to the 5711).
    The only other issue to mention that affects the 5711/5712/RO is the finishing is great but the brushed finish on the bezels REALLY shows scratches.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Great choice mate. I say go for it.

Hey Scott, you were always going to shrink the collection to less than it is now at some point - and that started from a "what if" thread. So I half expect to be hearing of your new PP some time soon. I think you could easily carry off and enjoy a 5711 - and I hadn't even considered availability of a white dial until Raj's post. The White dial stands out for me, and I don't normally pull towards white dials, it just seems so much more Patek for some reason and perfectly suited to the 5711 - and your tan!
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I prefer the chronograph as it feels more substantial. I had the white faced three hander and while it looked gorgeous hardly wore it.

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting list??
    OK - white dials are easy.

I had one, but no longer. It's certainly something you could wear every day, but this depends a bit on your psychology and your pocket. I wasn't really comfortable wearing something at that value every day, but you might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Promise me you'll wear it at the Student Union when it's 2-for-1 night 
    Oh, I definitely will - if I get a place that is. Finished post grad last year, complete a BSc in a couple of months, and finish a MSc next year, I've been overlapping them and enjoying the experience so much I want to take some time out and study full-time if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Waiting list??
    That looks lovely! I like the white dial / date wheel, which works v well imho. The branding is v subtle too, which given my favoured brand will make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    Although I seem to be moving towards three handers and selling my chrono's if I went PP I think I would have to 5712 not 5711. For me it adds that extra something, otherwise I cannot find a reason to justify this vs a AP RO (actually considerably prefer the RO to the 5711).
    The only other issue to mention that affects the 5711/5712/RO is the finishing is great but the brushed finish on the bezels REALLY shows scratches.
    I much prefer the Patek to the AP I must admit, and I'm not a fan of the 5712 - the 5726 is a little nicer for me, or the 5980 but I'm preferring the white dial. If I get one it will be to wear a lot, so I won't worry about the odd mark or dink etc. daily wear watches should have a lived in look.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Great choice mate. I say go for it.
    Cheers - I really think it will come off this year, with a little effort on my part!

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Hey Scott, you were always going to shrink the collection to less than it is now at some point - and that started from a "what if" thread. So I half expect to be hearing of your new PP some time soon. I think you could easily carry off and enjoy a 5711 - and I hadn't even considered availability of a white dial until Raj's post. The White dial stands out for me, and I don't normally pull towards white dials, it just seems so much more Patek for some reason and perfectly suited to the 5711 - and your tan!
    Thanks Gray. I think you are right with the white dial. Most of my watches are black dialed divers, and this would be a nice contrast / change from that. It stood out for me the first time I saw one, and I've wondered what if since. It's a big purchase - but knowing I could probably achieve it with a bit of shuffling assets/watches I've already got makes me think it probably a good thing. I can't really take all my watches that easily half way round the world, so taking half or less would be a much easier proposition.

Ill just have to look at how I can put it all into place, and find the right place to buy - I might have to contact Mark Hearn ;)

For those that know me from the forum, and those that don't, those who own a Patek, those who like them and those that don't...
    You would probably get a much better response if you werent so picky ;)

For what it is worth they are beautiful watches and if you can afford it go for it

The 5711, to my thinking, gets damn close to the perfect balance between sports and dress watch. It is incredibly thin cased but still has enough water-resistance and durability to be worn regularly.

I agree that the bezels do mark easily but on the other hand Patek will refinish for about £100 and I know they quote £600 for a full service but, as someone else mentioned, I can confirm that it doesn't always come to as much as the figure they publish. Also, on the one occassion I've needed to get a service, it was far quicker than a lot of other brands seem to be.

All-in-all, if you like the watch don't be put off by the ownership prospect - it isn't as impractical (or costly) as you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    You would probably get a much better response if you werent so picky ;)

For what it is worth they are beautiful watches and if you can afford it go for it
    Lol :). I can't really afford one. As in I couldn't go out and buy one - but I could cash in watches I already own to the value of a nice Patek, and I'd most likely by new. I'm going to try and go for it - what have I got to loss apart from maybe a little cash?

The response has been great, and it has helped a lot. I know a lot of people think anyone asking question of a forum membership is crackers, and of course I am, but sometimes it's good to hear all different perspectives - an even consider whether an SD or an MX5 really is the correct answer to the pointless question ;)

Quote Originally Posted by diranija View Post
    The 5711, to my thinking, gets damn close to the perfect balance between sports and dress watch. It is incredibly thin cased but still has enough water-resistance and durability to be worn regularly.

I agree that the bezels do mark easily but on the other hand Patek will refinish for about £100 and I know they quote £600 for a full service but, as someone else mentioned, I can confirm that it doesn't always come to as much as the figure they publish. Also, on the one occassion I've needed to get a service, it was far quicker than a lot of other brands seem to be.

All-in-all, if you like the watch don't be put off by the ownership prospect - it isn't as impractical (or costly) as you might think.
    Sounds like a fair ownership prospect.

The 3712/5712 is the one for me

Pic from the net.

Craftsman
    I have a 5711 blue dial and its a great looking watch. The blue dial really pops and as much as I like a complication the sundials on the 5712 obscure the brilliant blue.
    The White 5711 is relatively easy to get, the blue dial has a waiting list, at some ADs as longs as 4-5 years. They also seem to be limiting production. I know my AD only received 1 this year and that was mine!

Unfortunately the 5711 wasn't enough for me and I did add a complicated PP too but if I had to have only one no doubt it would be the 5711.

I almost went for a 5711 but held out for the 5980 in the end which was what I really wanted. The Nautilus >must< come with that heat-blued/blacked dial for me, it's what makes it iconic. As others have said, it's the perfect watch for anything; 120-150m water resistance, the 5980 is relatively slim (the 5711 VERY slim) so wears well under a cuff or with jeans.

If a day comes when I can only have one watch, that will be it.

As to the Royal Oak comparisons... side by side, is the PP worth the extra? Only you feel that, but it's the only real rival.

That 5980 was probably my favourite, until the white dial 5711 was released. It ticks most of my watch boxes. I'd never use a chrono function - or rarely have on my Daytona, so,it's wasted on me. The graduated colour of the non-white dials is very appealing, but I'm thinking the white matches the date wheel perfectly and is a more balanced look. Also, I've noticed in Pagek's largest markets the white dial, just isn't a big seller, which might make me happier with my purchase in 10/20 years time :) Who knows. But so far the white 5711 has the edge.

Does anyone know what current UK retail is? Do Patek like most brands have a handy catalogue with price list? I might have a brochure hidden in a drawer somewhere but I'm sure I don't have a price list.

Craftsman
    I got the latest brochure and price list today. The 5711 is now £16230.

Perfect, thank you. Have they come down slightly, or just stayed the same in the last worldwide shuffling? I think they were a little over £15k some years ago, when I was a jewellers in Liverpool looking at one.

Just dug out a really thick glossy Patek collection 2010-2011 edition catalogue, that looks like a large A4 hard back book! No price list with it for 2010/2011, so I can't compare, and no white dial 5711, but both the 5980 and 5726 are in there :). They look very nice in the professional pics.

Craftsman
    Down by approximately 10%, unfortunately I bought mine before the price decrease.
    They are expecting another price announcement next month but who knows what that will mean.

I did this, never looked back

Is that the 5712?

I need to pop into my AD and ask for the latest brochures and price list :)

Craftsman
    That is the 5712, now £21710

Banned

Would I be happy with a 5711? Although I love some of the more complicated models, I'm a simple man, and have only one mechanical Chronograph (and no real desire for another), so a straight forward three handed would seem to fit the bill. Any watch I buy needs to be water resistant for any day use.

So... What are the pros are cons? I'd have to give up some watches, but lord knows I could do with, and probably should, reduce the numbers of watches I have anyway.

What are likely service intervals, and service prices?

Am I missing any particular models in consideration of this one? Any special edition, or boutique watches that are worth looking out for? Although I'm guessing they are probably sold out before they hit the stores?

If you like the looks of the 5711 I guess you should go for it. A steel watch makes sense for a student. I prefer something from the Calatrava range. That might make sense when you are a bit older.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    If you like the looks of the 5711 I guess you should go for it. A steel watch makes sense for a student. I prefer something from the Calatrava range. That might make sense when you are a bit older.
    Very mature (in age any way) student though. I'm sure a (yellow) gold watch would look fine on me, if I had one. The Calatrava looks like a very nice watch too - but doesn't meet my water resistance requirements.

If you are going to consider things getting a it more complicated, don't overlook the perpetual calendar. Although from memory I think it's white gold...

Gray

Blog Entries
    As a Patek owner - the Calatrava 5146J Annual Calendar, yellow gold - I can only recommend them! Personally - I just don't like the Nautilus case shape, but I think perhaps I'm in a minority.

In any case, I would not have any reservations in recommending a Patek of any kind.

I have never had any issues when owning mine and it is running perfectly.

As an alternate - have you considered the Aquanaut? - 5167A-001

Mechanical self-winding movement
    Caliber 324 S C
    Aquanaut extra large
    Sweep seconds hand
    Embossed black dial, gold applied numerals with luminescent coating
    “Tropical“ composite black strap
    Fold-over clasp
    Screw down crown
    Sapphire-crystal case back
    Water resistant to 120 m
    Stainless steel
    Case diameter (10-4 o’clock): 40 mm

(pic from the patek pages)

Is it only PP you fancy, or you're open to say AP 15400 suggestions? Just saying.

Blog Entries
    Another for the Aquanaut, I've worm mine for the last week and am utterly flabbergasted by it. The pictures never really got me too excited but I picked this up more for curiosities sake and frankly I'm now wondering why it took me so long. Anyways, I'll be putting up an incoming thread the next couple of days but I think you should certainly consider one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Is it only PP you fancy, or you're open to say AP 15400 suggestions? Just saying.
    Only Patek for this purchase. I do like the AP, but maybe for another event.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    As a Patek owner - the Calatrava 5146J Annual Calendar, yellow gold - I can only recommend them! Personally - I just don't like the Nautilus case shape, but I think perhaps I'm in a minority.

In any case, I would not have any reservations in recommending a Patek of any kind.

I had considered the 5167 but one of my pet hates is a 31 day sub dial, so I shouldn't really consider it - but it's very nice, extra hand on the 5711 would be perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Another for the Aquanaut, I've worm mine for the last week and am utterly flabbergasted by it. The pictures never really got me too excited but I picked this up more for curiosities sake and frankly I'm now wondering why it took me so long. Anyways, I'll be putting up an incoming thread the next couple of days but I think you should certainly consider one of these.
    I will take another look. The Aquanaut was the first Patek I really liked, as I was steel, has a decent WR and came on a bracelet :). But I think the 5711 could be the model I'm looking for.

In this case 5711 would be my personal preference. I quite like white / 011 model with black/blueish accents but for practical reasons it would be 010/blue one. So it looks like you don't have a choice ;)

Master
    I'm still not a fan. For a short period of time recently, I thought about one, but then I switched my mindset to something vintage. Probably similar money but IMO, more character than the Patek you're looking at.

There's so many high quality three hand watches for so much less money that I could personally never justify it.

It seems so. Only the 5960 has a normal ish date window with other complications - so that might work, but why not in a Nautilus case?

It's like with that new 5524 model, why not oversized/largish date window at 6 instead of date subdial?

i'm concerned about the remaining watches after you bought 5711...will they have any more wrist time?

Journeyman
    Very mature (in age any way) student though. I'm sure a (yellow) gold watch would look fine on me, if I had one. The Calatrava looks like a very nice watch too - but doesn't meet my water resistance requirements.
    A student with a Patek 5711- now that's a sight! I get stares with my omega speedmaster in uni already!

I'd say go all in on the nautilus. I tried one on once, and immediately fell in love with it. It's perfect.

By the way, it's cheaper to fly to Japan, buy the nautilus, then take a 3 day holiday on Ginza, and fly back than to buy it here. It can be found for £12,000-£13,000 at some resellers, brand new.

Just wanted to point out, that the photo is of the 5164 and not the 5167

This is a photo of my old 5167, which I part ex last year for a blue dial 5711, which I really like, and is an excellent watch for everyday us.

Prior to the price reduction earlier this year, the MRSP was £17,910

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post

Mechanical self-winding movement
    Caliber 324 S C
    Aquanaut extra large
    Sweep seconds hand
    Embossed black dial, gold applied numerals with luminescent coating
    “Tropical“ composite black strap
    Fold-over clasp
    Screw down crown
    Sapphire-crystal case back
    Water resistant to 120 m
    Stainless steel
    Case diameter (10-4 o’clock): 40 mm

(pic from the patek pages)

Craftsman
    I have the 5167 too and it's much more of an everyday watch which works well both smart and casual. As with most Pateks it needs to be seen in person to appreciate its beauty.
    I don't think I could wear the 5711 everyday, the pcl s on the bracelet make it a bit too flashy for me to wear at work but the rubber strap of the 5167 works perfectly.

Master
    Love the 5711 but not the white dial. I was unsure on it from the start but when someone said to me it looked like a garage door it was game over lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by medicat View Post
    A student with a Patek 5711- now that's a sight! I get stares with my omega speedmaster in uni already!

I'd say go all in on the nautilus. I tried one on once, and immediately fell in love with it. It's perfect.

By the way, it's cheaper to fly to Japan, buy the nautilus, then take a 3 day holiday on Ginza, and fly back than to buy it here. It can be found for £12,000-£13,000 at some resellers, brand new.
    That's a very worthwhile saving - I guess I need to start looking at where to buy. Even with a discount I'm guessing it would cost me around £14.5k over here - so £12k would pay for me to travel to Japan on my way to Oz - a very worthwhile trip.

Any tips on sellers?

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    It's like with that new 5524 model, why not oversized/largish date window at 6 instead of date subdial?
    Exactly my feelings on the date sub dial - it looks too fussy on most watches to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfeyes1974 View Post
    i'm concerned about the remaining watches after you bought 5711...will they have any more wrist time?
    I think they will get a fair share. I'll still wear the WG Daytona a lot, and a sports watch (SD/Sub/SMP) for anything more extreme - anything crazy, or working with cattle and I'll put the G-Shock on).

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093 View Post
    Just wanted to point out, that the photo is of the 5164 and not the 5167

This is a photo of my old 5167, which I part ex last year for a blue dial 5711, which I really like, and is an excellent watch for everyday us.

Prior to the price reduction earlier this year, the MRSP was £17,910
    I do really like the 5167 - option of both rubber and bracelet is good too. It's always an option - but I'm still currently swayed by the white dial / white date wheel as a more coherent look,mans Impossibly have a slight preference for the hour markerscrathervthan the numerals - but a white dial 5167 would be interesting to see a mock up of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    I have the 5167 too and it's much more of an everyday watch which works well both smart and casual. As with most Pateks it needs to be seen in person to appreciate its beauty.
    I don't think I could wear the 5711 everyday, the pcl s on the bracelet make it a bit too flashy for me to wear at work but the rubber strap of the 5167 works perfectly.
    Im not too worried about the pcl's the ones on my WG Daytona don't look so bad. Would the 5167 rubber fit a 5711?

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    Love the 5711 but not the white dial. I was unsure on it from the start but when someone said to me it looked like a garage door it was game over lol!!
    lol it does look a little like me old sectional garage door, now that you point it out - but maybe it will remind me of home ;)

Banned
    To cut to the chase:

You are going to have to scratch the itch. That much is obvious

My prediction is that you will be back with a SD in a couple years (so dont sell your favourite one while scratching.)