closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: John Mayer watch talk New York Times

Master

John Mayer watch talk New York Times

Nice read if you are looking for something to read on this Sunday evening.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/fa...f=fashion&_r=2

Master
    Thanks for sharing the link, not really sure what to make of the guy but it made for some nice light bedtime reading.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Thanks for sharing the link, not really sure what to make of the guy but it made for some nice light bedtime reading.
    think hes on a hodinkee video on youtube being interviewed. They are a great watch if you have the time!

Good read thanks

I'm also unsure what to make of him. He has lots of money and time on his hands (intended). He likes watches and has chosen to collect them. So far so good.

But now he is portrayed as a "horological champion" and a "tastemaker".

I watched the Hodinkee video series and found him to be one of their less interesting guests.
    So we're all going to end up wearing the apple watch are we?
    My favorite bit was when he compares wearing his Patek during his "endevours" on stage to Sir Edmund Hillarys wearing his watch during his conquest of Mt Everest.
    The open letter to IWC saga was also ill conceived imho.

Or ... maybe i'm just jealous

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    I'm also unsure what to make of him. He has lots of money and time on his hands (intended). He likes watches and has chosen to collect them. So far so good.

But now he is portrayed as a "horological champion" and a "tastemaker".

I watched the Hodinkee video series and found him to be one of their less interesting guests.
    So we're all going to end up wearing the apple watch are we?
    My favorite bit was when he compares wearing his Patek during his "endevours" on stage to Sir Edmund Hillarys wearing his watch during his conquest of Mt Everest.
    The open letter to IWC saga was also ill conceived imho.

Or ... maybe i'm just jealous
    you definitely spot on in regards not the most interesting person on those hodinkee interviews

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really enjoyed his interview, he's an enthusiastic collector and it really shines through.
    He regularly writes for Hodinkee as well.

He's a poof with more money than sense...Just to be able to buy any watch that he so felt fit, makes him a rich buyer, but his knowledge of watches isn't to be overestimated...
    He was caught for $656,000 on buying fake Rolexes...http://time.com/32471/john-mayer-suing-fake-watches/ ...
    Rich, dumb ass.
    Last edited by Geronimo; 11th May 2015 at 21:36.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ahh jealousy. Got to love it when it reaches froth level alpha.

I enjoyed that, thanks. He comes across as a good guy and a knowledgeable watch collector. And if that PRS was a C24 from 1987 instead of a brand new C22, that would also make him a nice guitar connoisseur! ;)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    He's a poof with more money than sense...
    Rich, dumb ass.
    I don't know if he is a homosexual but not quite sure that is pertinent.

Master
    He's a poof with more money than sense...Just to be able to buy any watch that he so felt fit, makes him a rich buyer, but his knowledge of watches isn't to be overestimated...
    He was caught for $656,000 on buying fake Rolexes...http://time.com/32471/john-mayer-suing-fake-watches/ ...
    Rich, dumb ass.

Jesus that is embarrassing. But in the same league as fake art and that which again has caught out the most savvy. Would love to see pictures of these fakes!

Don't really see how his issue with the dodgy watches and court case is embarassing or makes him a dumb ass?

He was dealing with a long established, top end vintage watch dealer, who if the information that's come out about the affair is to be believed, knowingly set out to defraud him. I can't imagine there are many people that would have been able to dectect the scam (if the allegations are true). When you buy any watch, whether for £2,000 or £2,000,000 how do you really know what you're getting other than to trust the seller, whether that's a bloke in the pub, SC, an auction house or manufacturer?

Rich, dumb ass.
    An immensely talented guitarist and songwriter who started with nothing and has converted his gift and his drive into a sizeable income. A man who serially shags supermodels, a man who variously drives a Landrover Defender, an Audi R8 and Ford GT0 in Gulf Racing colours, a man passionate about watches who has a real understanding of what he is buying and why, a celebrity who has been loyal to a brand (IWC) without being paid to do so. And a wealthy man who was ripped off in a very clever, almost undetectable scam.

I guess you and I have different definitions of 'poof' and 'dumb ass'.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    An immensely talented guitarist and songwriter who started with nothing and has converted his gift and his drive into a sizeable income. A man who serially shags supermodels, a man who variously drives a Landrover Defender, an Audi R8 and Ford GT0 in Gulf Racing colours, a man passionate about watches who has a real understanding of what he is buying and why, a celebrity who has been loyal to a brand (IWC) without being paid to do so. And a wealthy man who was ripped off in a very clever, almost undetectable scam.

I guess you and I have different definitions of 'poof' and 'dumb ass'.
    Very well said.