closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I blame TZ-UK! New arrival - Zenith El Primero Rainbow

I blame TZ-UK! New arrival - Zenith El Primero Rainbow

Let me start with a little of the back story to a very recent new arrival.
    I have read on the forum several members going through the same process of reaching a ‘saturation point’ concerning the desire for further watch purchases…..and I am not just talking about the financial implications. Well my hiatus lasted the grand total of two months, during which time I felt there was nothing ‘out there’ which really piqued my interest, within my own monetary limits (Grey Side, BFF, etc aren’t realistically going to happen). So I was beginning to feel a little ‘lost’….the Friday Thread just didn’t excite the way it used to. Things were getting strange, I sold a couple of watches to Watchfinder, but instead of re-investing the funds in replacements, I bought some new camera gear….another hobby which can easily get out of hand!

Anyway….along comes the ‘Zenith appreciation thread’, I duly post up my Captain Chrono, and then I subscribe to the thread. Bad move. Oh. My. Stars. A wealth of information and some beautiful images flowed down the thread…..but one caught my imagination, the chase was on again! Yipee.
    I present the latest addition, but not the last. Zenith El Primero Rainbow 02/0461.400/71.

I had always thought that a case size smaller than 41mm would be untenable, and I have moved on a couple of 40mm cased watches, which despite being beautiful, were (imho) I felt, just too small. I loved the look of this Zenith, so I took a punt, and I am so glad I did. It has many styling cues which made it a winner for me….

• the hand set was just perfect (perhaps someone can tell me the proper name for this shape of hand, dagger?), and the luminova still has a nice glow to it. I have never particularly liked the ‘mercedes hands’ which I believe feature on earlier models (such as some of the De Luca iterations), they should be perhaps reserved for Rolex alone.
    • The polished hour markers work really well, catch the light easily and are highly legible even in low light.
    • The two-tone dial is stunning – hope I captured this fully. The blue in the sub dials and chapter ring really ‘pops’ the dial.
    • The bracelet – very comfortable, with a butterfly clasp. I was lucky to get a few spare links and it has taken a bit of experimentation to get the optimum sizing right.
    • Drilled lugs, but unlikely I would change the bracelet!

I feel like I am gushing, for which I apologise. This is a change of direction for me, I consider this a vintage piece, normally I seek out larger, more contemporary watches. But as we humans age, we shrink……so I reckon I am ahead of the game

Master
    You can be as gushing as you like.......that is a very very fine watch....and with the El primero inside it will be accurate and reliable...

Master
    That's beautiful! I'm a little uneducated when it comes to Zenith, and I always thought the 'Rainbow' referred to the multi-coloured dial but seeing this one suggests I am wrong. Gorgeous dial.

Lovely.
    But hey, don't blame TZ for your lack of discipline!😄
    Is that a shadow at 60 mark on bezel in the last pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    A beauty - do you know why it's called Rainbow?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    A beauty - do you know why it's called Rainbow?
    It is called Rainbow from the yacht on the back - but because I own one and am biased I agree the multi colour one is the real rainbow :-)

Lovely - congratulations

My 'Rainbow' says hi

Loving that Rainbow! It's a cracking looking chronograph!

Master
    Lovely watch!

I believe that hand design is called alpha. Or very similar to it.

Beautiful, love the detail and 3d elements on the dial. Check out the indices continuing over the date window!

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Lovely.
    But hey, don't blame TZ for your lack of discipline!
    Is that a shadow at 60 mark on bezel in the last pic?
    It does have a very polished bezel, and the price is shadows everywhere!
    Yeah, guilty as charged.....I can resist everything but temptation...

Craftsman
    Lovely watch!
    I have an early 90s de luca. I think they de lucas & the subsequent rainbows are a lot of watch for the money.

Master
    Not seen the blue dial version before - that is absolutely stunning. I am always finding new reasons why I "need" another watch and I have been drawn more towards blue dialed watches for a while - that is among the nicest I have seen.