closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GS diver

GS diver

Am not a huge fan of GS non -diver, dressy watches even though they do look fabulous but a GS diver is another story.
    It is unreal how good these are and without inciting a Rolex-Seiko war, I would contend they are every bit as good as a Sub.
    The ONLY thing I might change is how the bezel insert sits on the bezel as it remains a little raised where as I would prefer it flush as with Sub but it is a minor quibble.

Some pics.

Master
    Those are very very nice!

I constantly look for the titanium version when I am in shops but never seem to have enough cash.

good watch but put it next to a sub...whether its better or not, it just looks like a wanna be...and ugly at that. Remove sub and its lovely....

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    good watch but put it next to a sub...whether its better or not, it just looks like a wanna be...and ugly at that. Remove sub and its lovely....
    Very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigeyp View Post
    I think it holds its own but that's just my opinion but honestly this really is not about Rolex vs Seiko.

Master
    A friend at work has one of these. The quality and finish is sublime and in the hand it looks amazing. From a few feet away, however, it looks like a standard Seiko diver, and I think that's the biggest problem that these watches have.

I think that's the biggest problem that these watches have
    Whilst I've not yet come across a GS diver in real life WOW !! I hear what that statement is saying but surely that only applies to NORMAL folk who are happy with their Argos Timex stuff.
    An enthusiast would surely bow to it.

Superb watch. Incredible timekeeping and fantastic finish. Makes the Sub look pretty plain to my eye, which is saying something!

These are truly excellent watches they really are, and with the added bonus of the Spring Drive movement.

The finishing and attention to detail is unsurpassed at this price point.

on some of GS pieces what they did was remove the 'SEIKO' on the top and have "GS Grand Seiko" instead. I think that worked better but I think it's Seiko's objective to up the brand name of Seiko using GS as a facilitator. That's why they always keep the "SEIKO" brand name on GS watches.

Would have bought a GS myself but the recent news by Seiko that they will keep GS parts for 10 years means that when the watch goes in for service, a different watch may come back to me. That might be a good thing or a bad thing not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    Those are very very nice!

I constantly look for the titanium version when I am in shops but never seem to have enough cash.
    The Ti version is nice as well even if Inprefer the heft of SS

only thing that I can say, the more I look at it, the more I believe I have the best of Seiko and I'm done with the brand.

Last edited by seikomatic; 7th May 2015 at 03:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    only thing that I can say, the more I look at it, the more I believe I have the best of Seiko and I'm done with the brand.

I have to say I was getting quite excited for one of these until I saw this pic. The Sub does look a little plain in comparison in the photos. However what diameter is it... It looks BIG in the photo above compared to the GMT next to it?

Craftsman
    SEIKO GREAT!!! How much Seiko GS?

Had the titanium one, loved it.

goto have this tomorrow

SBDC029

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Would have bought a GS myself but the recent news by Seiko that they will keep GS parts for 10 years ...
    Source please.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Source please.

Leave it, trolling at its best :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

GS Diver is a great looking watch, there is just something about it that kinda draws you in.

Very comfortable to wear (I have the stainless version) and it wears its bulk well.

The sweeping second hand is just hypnotic!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Whilst I've not yet come across a GS diver in real life WOW !! I hear what that statement is saying but surely that only applies to NORMAL folk who are happy with their Argos Timex stuff.
    An enthusiast would surely bow to it.
    True. And I did ;)

I like the Ti version best. (SBGA031)
    I am a big guy with a big wrist, but the S/S version at over 200g is a bit too much for me....
    This one weighs in at 137g and looks stunning.

Master
    I love the look of the SBGA029 but think it is just a tad too big for my wrist.

The slightly smaller quartz diver however works much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Source please.
    http://professionalwatches.com/2013/...-seiko-th.html

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...u-make-of-this

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

Daddel.
    Excuse me?!

Their one visual blemish (for me) is the power reserve dial, when present - I quite like the PR on their dressy Spring Drives, but I just can't admire the one on the divers.
    Last edited by WatchIng; 7th May 2015 at 10:15. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post

Daddel.
    So, you noticed it too!

Have been lusting after the 029 since it appeared.
    I do worry about the size, should I get any dosh together for one (always on my mind) - would anyone have a photo comparison with the SBDX001?
    (Failing that - the 50p measure method?!)

Personally, I like the SEIKO logo - I like it aesthetically, and I like that it reminds me of my first watches, and the passion for them (all watches) that came from investigating that brand initially.
    I like the fact that many, incorrectly, don't consider them in the same light as the high-street luxury brands. I've had most of the main makes and models over the last 10 years, and Seiko, low or high end, always make me the happiest to own and wear.

The Ti version of this GS diver is top of my want list at present (or if they ever do a Date version of the GS Quartz Diver!). I've just picked up a new MM300 and honestly, if the GS Diver can improve on that I will be blown away, as the MM300 is a corker.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    The Ti version of this GS diver is top of my want list at present (or if they ever do a Date version of the GS Quartz Diver!). I've just picked up a new MM300 and honestly, if the GS Diver can improve on that I will be blown away, as the MM300 is a corker.
    MM300 sure is a corker. Am not sure why I like it as much as I do ( even if it is a fine watch by all accounts). Somehow the MM300 just sings to me. Love the GS diver but MM300 would make the list of my top five dive watches ahead of the GS diver.

Rajen - I am smitten with MM300! It feels like it was made to be found by me, now, after starting my journey through watches when I bought my first as a grown up (rather than schoolboy ana-digi things) - the SKX009 - from Ernest Jones about 16 years ago.

Honestly, it sort of feels like I've found what I didn't realise I was looking for!
    Magic ;)

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    Either that chap has very small arms (and wrist) or that Seiko is very large (perhaps both) because it looks comical.

I loved hearing the chap speak about the history of the Tuna at Basel and was genuinely impressed by how they pushed the engineering of their dive watches but imho they are loosing their way with the GS.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Superb watch. Incredible timekeeping and fantastic finish. Makes the Sub look pretty plain to my eye, which is saying something!
    Very well said.
    I own a GS, SBAG031 and my son own a sub.
    To my opinion, the quality of the GS finish is much better than the sub, And the bezel numbers are nicer.

I don't like the sub case, its flat without any curve to fit the wrist, (Like the GS Diver), And there is a gap between the case and the ends of the wrist.

The movement is not to be compare because they are different type.

However, I wish the GS was 2-3mm smaller in diameter, And a better clasp on the GS

Last edited by Fastdriver; 7th May 2015 at 17:32.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Would have bought a GS myself but the recent news by Seiko that they will keep GS parts for 10 years means that when the watch goes in for service, a different watch may come back to me. That might be a good thing or a bad thing not sure.
    If you will buy a GS, You want need a service

Master
    I agree with Fastdriver: I too wish the GS was 2-3mm smaller in diameter.

As mentioned, a sbga031 in 40-41mm would be perfect.

I've had both sbga029 and 031, sold then only because of size. Keept my sd4000, even though the Rolex is boring compared to the GS.

In the comparison photo, I prefer the simplicity of design and the size of the Sub, but it looks dull next to the GS, which has a much deeper black dial and sparkling indices.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I have to say I was getting quite excited for one of these until I saw this pic. The Sub does look a little plain in comparison in the photos. However what diameter is it... It looks BIG in the photo above compared to the GMT next to it?
    It might be just me but when I look at that picture the GMT looks like the "classic" watch to me

Very happy with my steel one, although I'd like to try the Ti for size

I like the Sub too, but these are a less safe & predictable choice that sits well in my collection as a nice alternative to my sports Rolex.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57