closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MacBook Pro or not...

Craftsman

MacBook Pro or not...

Hi all

After years of ms windows and using windows pcs at work I am considering moving to a MacBook Pro...

Anybody recently done the same and regretted it?

Anyone never looked back?

Thanks

Mark

Master
    Any IT project:

What are your requirements, what fulfills them best at an acceptable price.

What is it about Macs that better meets your requirements than a PC?

Master
    I moved to the dark side about 18 months ago.....same as you I'd known nothing other than windows, and my only apple products were an iPod and an iPad.

I still use my iPad more than any other device, especially for browsing etc, and if I'm honest I've struggled a bit with the Mac book pro.....
    Some things are great, but others can be frustrating, I recently bought a superchips device for my Jeep....doesn't work on a Mac
    I bought a blue tooth OBD reader, doesn't work on a Mac....
    I can't get the Mac to connect wirelessly to my HP printer/scanner..

I like the screen layout and the file and folder systems, I like the fact that you don't have to save documents when you close them, it's done automatically on a Mac.
    I like the back system and iCloud etc, and I like the laptop itself, it's light, and fast, and has a great keyboard.....

A mate recently bought a new Windows PC (windows 7 i think) and asked me to help him set it up..... And after just 18 months away, I really struggled to navigate around the screen...

I think I'm glad I made the change, but if I hadn't I don't think I'd have missed much if that makes sense...

I'm sure the more I use the Mac, the easier it will become, then maybe I'll "get" what all the fuss is about...... As it stands at present its just another laptop, that works a bit different to my old one....

Hope that helps

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Any IT project:

What are your requirements, what fulfills them best at an acceptable price.

What is it about Macs that better meets your requirements than a PC?
    I always feel that windows laptops are great when you first get them but start to slow down so much. Bloat ware and anti virus doesn't help.

I've been an apple fanboy as such and looking at a pro retina 13 256ssd at £1050 I'm wondering if now might be a good time to make the switch...

I use my laptop mainly for streaming/downloading films to watch via hdmi to my TV and General web browsing

...it's a lot of money if I can't get on with it though, especially if I could have hot a win 8 with similar spec for a lot less

I'd recommend looking at the Apple Refurb store. It's where I've bought all my Macs from. They've always been good as new. The config you mentioned comes in at £979.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...macbook_pro/13

Craftsman
    I always had windows but could not get on with windows 8, so i decided to get a macbook pro from the refurb shop.
    I will now never go back to Mmicrosoft now, hope it helps your decision ........

Craftsman

macbook pro

How about getting a macbook and setting it up for dual boot with windows and mac os. Macbooks run intel chipsets.

I saw one techie running windows in a seperate session whilst mac was running in the background.

Im looking at doing this setup when im due a new pc for work.

I was in the same boat as the OP only a few months ago.
    I took the plunge and went for a macbook pro 15
    Absolutely no regrets. Really fantastic laptop.
    I am using it mainly as a mulitmedia platform.

Master
    Bought my MBP about 3 years ago, it works as well now as on day 1. In that time I've had 2 windows based work laptops, wish they would give me a MBP instead. You won't regret making the change

i bought an 13" air in December but my problem is i have that and my work Windows 8 laptop which i use all the time, so every time i get the Air out i cant find things so go back to my Dell. Air sits under my desk and has probably been used 20 times since i bought it. Im sure i'd love it but truth is Windows works for me so i just stick with it.

Blog Entries
    I did the same switch nearly three years ago to a 13" MBA.

Use it every day, it hooks up to the server at work fine and outlook works great with the network in the office. It has tripped up once in three years and that was the MS outlook playing up.

I got so naffed off with switching the windows machine on at home that I purchased a 13" Ret MBP for Mrs P at Christmas and it is a big step up from my MBA, so much so I am going to replace mine this summer.

I know you pay a bit more but what would be the worth of a windows based laptop after three years and how many times would it have packed up?? Plus the MBA is still worth a few hundred quid.

Go for it, you will not look back

Paul

Master
    I bought my MBP in 2009 as I fancied a change and liked the idea it's really Unix in a fancy dress.

Still got it, this year the hard drive failed and I replaced it with a 1Tb hybrid and it really flies now! Hopefully it will keep on for a few more years yet. As luck would have it although it wouldn't boot off the old drive I can get at all the data so I haven't lost anything.

I don't have anything against Windows per se, use it at work of course and might even go back to try a touch screen interface if the MBP does die but all the same I've been very happy with mine.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow986 View Post
    Hi all

After years of ms windows and using windows pcs at work I am considering moving to a MacBook Pro...
    I'm curious to your reasons for considering a move? Have you looked at the Surface Pro 3 as an alternative?

I use a MacBook Pro 15 retina almost exclusively for Windows as my day to day work computer :). It had a better display and weight than the opposition at the time I bought it. I'm no fan of iOS
    It's just a matter of time...

I use both PC and Mac for work and the really are just tools so depends what you want. Mac gives an easier day to day experience but at a massive premium where PC's are more fiddly but much better value for money. The operating systems are a key factor in this and people have preferences but in general OSX requires less maintinence though you get less immediate control (to prevent you cocking it up). Both maintained well perform on a par. If you do look at the MB pros then be aware the top end ones are running some old hardware such as gtx750m GPU which is several years old now and I would expect to be replaced this year with the 950/960m so of you up thinking up that end of the scale I would hold off until this year's refresh.

Master
    Hi all

Thanks

Mark

I really would say don't do it - Macs look pretty and the user interface is slick but you are absolutely paying through the nose for what you get, the OS underneath is poor and the hardware can be unreliable. Apple do cosmetic style and marketing absolutely brilliantly. Technology, not so much.

Currently considering the switch to as I've always been a windows guy, did own an old skool macbook back in 2009 but had it running windows on bootcamp. The logic board failed after 3 years and haven't gone back.

I tried my mates new Samsung with Windows 8 and hated the experience, its not intuitive and really is quite annoying to use, battery life on it is only 4 hours unplugged and it was meant to be a macbook air competitor.

Really tempted by the slightly older Macbook pro 13"

Hello

Good question, old or new Macbook?

Craftsman
    well i jumped ship years ago....macbook air great for browsing, but soon got bored...back to pc...then macbook pro for a while...then back to pc....imac 27 inch bought 5 month ago...great i thought, but soon got bored again (they just dont break down) gave that away back to pc running linux...for some reason i always go back to linux/windows, maybe i just need the challenge.

if you are thinking about it...then just do it as they are a great design but just not for me

I guess I'm a pretty typical Mac user: I do a creative job, and I'm not especially technical, nor remotely interested. And as such Macs suit me perfectly, because I've found them utterly reliable and stable over the past 6 years or so. Great aids to productivity, and no time spent messing about with them. I currently have an MBP and a Mini, and have previously owned a Macbook (which we still have) and a couple of iMacs in the office.

If you like getting under the hood then I guess a PC is a better call, and also if you're price sensitive, but FWIW I'm really happy with the Mac ecosystem. Software is decent too: I used to use FCP X a lot and it's very good, while Pages is fine, and I prefer Keynote to Powerpoint. As others have said you can run Office etc, but I don't see any need - exporting Word files is easy.

Not sure if this is significant, but a mate is a senior IT security bloke, and he's a long-term Mac user at home, I imagine because he doesn't want to have to fiddle with it....

Journeyman
    We have a highest spec Macbook Pro at home and it is blazingly fast at boot up and working, but you pay a premium over a Windows machine.

Also the upgrades are difficult to carry out compared to a Windows machine after the initial purchase.
    Last edited by Kenny; 7th May 2015 at 07:53.

Quote Originally Posted by eduk View Post
    I use both PC and Mac for work and the really are just tools so depends what you want. Mac gives an easier day to day experience but at a massive premium where PC's are more fiddly but much better value for money. ....
    Not so sure I would agree with the 'massive premium'. What is your time worth? Would you rather spend time actually using your Mac or 'fiddling' with your PC?

Hello

So may I ask pro's and cons of new or old Macbook Pro's?

Master
    Hi all

Thanks

Mark
    I jumped ship in 2009 and had the same Macbook Pro since, albeit with the RAM maxed out to 8gb. I was a poor student in those days and could only afford the base model with tiny hard drive but I back up most of my data anyway. Touch wood I have never had a problem with it, the only issue is the battery is knackered but I use it plugged in anyway. The keyboard is a wonderful thing and the backlit keys are genius. The track pad is wonderfully smooth and the multi swipe gestures are very intuitive and really miss them on my work machine.

Would not go back to Windows if you paid me. I have to use a Windows laptop for work and I hate it. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad jobby (aka a brick) and the trackpad is rubbish, the nipple is pointless and the keys are starting to stick. The screen is dark even on the highest setting and hate double clicking to open shortcuts. I know not true for all Windows machines but it is enough to put me off!

Looking forward, I would probably consider a Macbook Air as they look super sleek and I can't remember the last time I put a disk in my machine.

I'd say go for it, you won't regret it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    I jumped ship in 2009 and had the same Macbook Pro since, albeit with the RAM maxed out to 8gb. I was a poor student in those days and could only afford the base model with tiny hard drive but I back up most of my data anyway. Touch wood I have never had a problem with it, the only issue is the battery is knackered but I use it plugged in anyway. The keyboard is a wonderful thing and the backlit keys are genius. The track pad is wonderfully smooth and the multi swipe gestures are very intuitive and really miss them on my work machine.

Would not go back to Windows if you paid me. I have to use a Windows laptop for work and I hate it. It's a Lenovo Thinkpad jobby (aka a brick) and the trackpad is rubbish, the nipple is pointless and the keys are starting to stick. The screen is dark even on the highest setting and hate double clicking to open shortcuts. I know not true for all Windows machines but it is enough to put me off!

Looking forward, I would probably consider a Macbook Air as they look super sleek and I can't remember the last time I put a disk in my machine.

I'd say go for it, you won't regret it.
    Funnily enough I took the plunge and spent my first night with the mbp. So far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    So may I ask pro's and cons of new or old Macbook Pro's?
    Depends what you mean by new and old, and what you intend to do with the machine. I use a Haswell MBP Retina, and the newer (late 2014 on I think) processor has very good battery life - I can work all day on mine. And retina screens are lovely - when I use a Macbook without one I really notice the difference. If you're a real power use though there are issues, however - as I've mentioned before 13" MBPs aren't really 'pro' if you're editing video, say. Then you really need an up-spec 15" with quad core and plenty of RAM.

But for normal office type use - and most image editing - any recent MBP is fine. But do remember that recent Macs are hard/almost impossible to upgrade later, and given the longevity of the machines I have I'd always up-spec a bit at purchase. It's a good policy I reckon, even if it does further line the mighty Apple's pockets.

Hope that helps.

Hello

Thanks for the response.

I was considering a 2011, 13inch one. I'd be using it for web browsing, email, word processing/office type activity, watching videos, streaming from Virgin Media/Netflix. Obviously older ones have the built in dvd/cd drive.

I'm trying to work out whether or not i should get a newer one or an older one. It will be my first Mac as i've been with Windows for years but just fancy a change.

Hello

Sorry, forgot to mention maybe some photo editing nothing major.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the response.

I was considering a 2011, 13inch one. I'd be using it for web browsing, email, word processing/office type activity, watching videos, streaming from Virgin Media/Netflix. Obviously older ones have the built in dvd/cd drive.

I'm trying to work out whether or not i should get a newer one or an older one. It will be my first Mac as i've been with Windows for years but just fancy a change.

Personally the best for me were the ones with a solid state drive as you really notice the speed difference which adds to the experience.

I too just fancied a change. But you have to be prepared to change too! Some of the settings that they are defaulted to needed adjustment to make it easier for me to adjust to using it.

I do think they have a premium feel, like mercedes, Audi or BMW of the laptop world.

Hello

Personally the best for me were the ones with a solid state drive as you really notice the speed difference which adds to the experience.

I too just fancied a change. But you have to be prepared to change too! Some of the settings that they are defaulted to needed adjustment to make it easier for me to adjust to using it.

I do think they have a premium feel, like mercedes, Audi or BMW of the laptop world.
    Forgive my lack of knowledge, is that faster in activity and use or boot time?

Craftsman
    Forgive my lack of knowledge, is that faster in activity and use or boot time?
    Yes both

Mine completely switches off in 3 seconds and switches on in under 10! From sleep it's almost instant.

Activity and tasks are lightening quick in comparison with my windows PC

An SSD makes a huge difference to boot time but also in every day operations. Apps launch a lot faster. I would never go back to a spinning disk.

Hello

Thanks Phil.

So as a matter of interest, approaching this from a slightly different angle. Could i not just fit an SSD to my Lenovo Thinkpad, circa 2011, 6gb ram and enjoy a similar speedier experience to a Mac Probook 2011 with SSD.

I realise that might be comparing apples and oranges but am deciding whether i should jump ship entirely or just upgrade my current vessel.

Hello

My apologies to the Op for somewhat hijacking his thread!

It may well be possible to upgrade the Thinkpad, depending on the design. I've upgraded a MacBook Pro from a hard disk to an SSD and upgraded the SSD in a 15" MacBook Pro Retina. What is the specific model of Thinkpad?

Hello

Phil,

Thanks.

Model is as follows,

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge
    Core I5 2.3 ghz,
    6.00 GB installed memory ram
    Intel Core i5-2410M Processor (2.30GHz, 3MB L3)1
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 6412
    15.6 W HD (1366x768) Anti-Glare, Midnight Black
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    No Fingerprint Reader
    500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm4
    Multi Recorder Optical Drive (12.7mm)5
    6 cell 2.2Ah Li-Ion Battery60
    Bluetooth 3.0
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 100010

Purchased in 2011.

Regards,

Ben

Assuming this is the same computer, there's a guide to replacing the hard disk here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Lenovo+...lacement/35822

You can get a 2.5" SSD for around £150:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5-...amsung+2.5+ssd

Hello

Will have a look, could be an option.

Thanks very much

Hello

Looks do-able

Just have to back up the HDD to put everything on the SSD. But to be honest it would just be photo's, videos, documents. I could just re-install the Windows OS, if i can find the disc.

Looks do-able

Just have to back up the HDD to put everything on the SSD. But to be honest it would just be photo's, videos, documents. I could just re-install the Windows OS, if i can find the disc.
    I would reinstall Windows fresh then recover your data from the old drive by putting it in a caddy. They cost ~£10 from Amazon and would give you a backup drive for the future too.

Hello

Phil,

I am a complete moron with this.

Am i to take it that you remove old hdd drive. Install new SSD and recover data from old hdd in a caddy which is reinserted somewhere on laptop?

Hello

Near the cd/dvd drive?

Phil,

I am a complete moron with this.

Am i to take it that you remove old hdd drive. Install new SSD and recover data from old hdd in a caddy which is reinserted somewhere on laptop?
    You buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Encl...usb3+enclosure

Put the drive into it then connect it to the computer via USB.

Hello

Thanks

As you may have guessed, i have no idea. I can use them but not anything else!

Hello

Think i'm getting the gist.

Purchase caddy and the Samsung SSD, swap them over. Recover what i want from HDD in caddy to SSD!

That's right.

Hello

Just ordered it all.

So watch out for complete chaos and War Games/Cyber Dyne Systems scenarios in the news!