closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A week with my G-Shock

Master

A week with my G-Shock

Throughout the 21 years I've been wearing watches (started when I was 5) I never once wore or owned a digital watch of any description whatsoever. Indeed I actively avoided owning one, because, well... it's just not proper is it. At least that's what I thought.

In fact just last week, in this thread I reiterated my dislike of digitals, and predicted that I'd never own one.

Well didn't I speak too soon. A few days later a friend of mine came back from California, having picked up one of these for me:

At first I was a little disgusted with it but I've worn it for a few days now whilst doing stuff around my house, and I must say it's growing on me quite quickly. I've been flooring my loft, cutting some trees down at my friend's farm and I helped him do some work on his tractor. During that it's taken some pretty hard knocks and it's barely been scuffed.

I doubt it'll get the same use as others in my collection but it's a useful and hardwearing tool.

So I guess the moral of the story is digitals aren't as bad as I thought they were. At least not G-Shocks.

I've just bought one of that model myself.

I'm really pleased with it too, i've tried other G-shocks but having a slim wrist the later bigger versions just looked daft on me. Plus I don't need any twirling displays or fancy gizmo's, I just wanted a watch with all the G' technology consequently meaning it would take a severe kicking etc.

Proper tool watch IMO & its '80's digital looks are cool 8)

Dave
    :)

Master
    Yea I don't mind the look of it either, though if it had been a Mudman or something of that size it would probably never have got any wrist time at all.

Craftsman
    These watches are real tools, nothing more, at least to my eyes.
    Mine, a DW5600, was bought in 1987-88 with all my allowance saved money and I threw it to the bottom of a box, about 10 years latter, after my... parrot took a few bites out of the armour!
    Some time ago I found it again and it still works. I tried to take the armour off to find out if it could be changed - and you can, for more than I am willing to pay - and it started to peel off, in tiny bits, braking like an egg shell. Still I am amazed at the battery durability since I do not remember to have it changed in more than 15 years.
    Here it is, undressed!

I´m considering another one, to "bang around":

They certainly make you wonder why we spend as we do !!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by London Luke
    They certainly make you wonder why we spend as we do !!
    They certainly do, I agree. I wonder that if with some more er... "decent" case designs and with a better crystal and bracelt/strap wouldn´t be even more apealling. After Mr. Platts lesson on quartz, and some servicing bills of auto watches, my prejudice against these "movements" is eroding.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY
    I've just bought one of that model myself.

I'm really pleased with it too, i've tried other G-shocks but having a slim wrist the later bigger versions just looked daft on me. Plus I don't need any twirling displays or fancy gizmo's, I just wanted a watch with all the G' technology consequently meaning it would take a severe kicking etc.

Proper tool watch IMO & its '80's digital looks are cool 8)

Dave
    :)
    Where can I buy one???? :?: :?: :?:
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

I have several quartz digitals and wouldn't dismiss them lightly. They can do many things an analogue watch, quartz or mechanical, simply can't do.

Nice watch Colin, wear it in health, and enjoy the features it has to offer you that your mechanicals don't.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I've got a single G-Shock, and it's useful. There are things that they can do that mechanicals can't, and situations I wouldn't wear a mechanical watch in where I'd cheerfully wear a G-Shock.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I've got a single G-Shock, and it's useful. There are things that they can do that mechanicals can't, and situations I wouldn't wear a mechanical watch in where I'd cheerfully wear a G-Shock.
    Seconded :!:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Where can I buy one?
    The Bay is flooded with DW-5600E models for sale in Hong Kong and Singapore. UK RRP is a p¡ss-taking £69, but don't pay more than half that all-in for one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colin
    Yea I don't mind the look of it either, though if it had been a Mudman or something of that size it would probably never have got any wrist time at all.
    I've a Mudman, it wears smaller that you would think.

Only wear it when running, swimming or working in the garden, which it is perfect for 8)

Have been thinking about getting a DW-5600 also, but found out one G-Shock is enough for me.

Cheers
    Thomas

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Seconded :!:
    I've got this little fella for such situations:

I do dislike the strap though - am I right in believing that you can get adaptors to allow the use of other straps with the G-shocks?

Cheers,

Guy :)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwindmill
    I do dislike the strap though - am I right in believing that you can get adaptors to allow the use of other straps with the G-shocks?
    You can get adapters that will allow the fitment of Natos / Zulus, but I'm not sure they will fit that model, which has an integrated strap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    You can get adapters that will allow the fitment of Natos / Zulus, but I'm not sure they will fit that model, which has an integrated strap.
    :( Thanks, I did wonder...oh well!

Cheers,

Guy :)

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Where can I buy one?
    The Bay is flooded with DW-5600E models for sale in Hong Kong and Singapore. UK RRP is a p¡ss-taking £69, but don't pay more than half that all-in for one.

I have one winging it's way to me now, brand new in box, cost £29 all in. That's from the USA.

I didn't wear a digital for many year, then about 5 years ago I got one while I was travelling and rather enjoyed wearing it.

Craftsman

Re: A week with my G-Shock

Throughout the 21 years I've been wearing watches (started when I was 5) I never once wore or owned a digital watch of any description whatsoever. Indeed I actively avoided owning one, because, well... it's just not proper is it. At least that's what I thought.

In fact just last week, in this thread I reiterated my dislike of digitals, and predicted that I'd never own one.

Well didn't I speak too soon. A few days later a friend of mine came back from California, having picked up one of these for me:

At first I was a little disgusted with it but I've worn it for a few days now whilst doing stuff around my house, and I must say it's growing on me quite quickly. I've been flooring my loft, cutting some trees down at my friend's farm and I helped him do some work on his tractor. During that it's taken some pretty hard knocks and it's barely been scuffed.

I doubt it'll get the same use as others in my collection but it's a useful and hardwearing tool.

So I guess the moral of the story is digitals aren't as bad as I thought they were. At least not G-Shocks.
    You are a TURNCOAT Colin!!!! I?m really disappointed in you :roll: :D :D :D

Master
    Sorry, man :( :p

Craftsman
    Wow....I was in shock after seeing the G's get decent support on the last thread over here, and now a second with a new devotee? Hey, nobody said you had to get rid of your autos just to wear a G once in a while...for $50 you can get a g in almost any style that appeals to you, and if you find you never use it, give it to your kid or grand kid and let them beat the heck out of it.... :shock:

BTW, the G-shock forum over at WUS is a pretty warm and friendly place....at least one of your regulars here, BruceS, spends quite a bit of time over there :lol:

Here is a snap of the adaptors and zulus:

They will not work for Gs with integrated straps.

Thanks
    deano

Master
    Anyone fitted these to a GW-9000 Mudman ???
    Deano, have you got a pic of the watch head without the adaptor so I can see the kind of fit needed ?? The Mudman seems to have screws in exactly the same place.

Cheers,

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by maseman
    Deano, have you got a pic of the watch head without the adaptor so I can see the kind of fit needed ?? The Mudman seems to have screws in exactly the same place.

Cheers,

Iain
    Hi Iain

I will take a few pictures tomorrow and post them here ok...

The adaptors will fit most Gs down to a 15mm / 16mm springbar.

I have sent you a PM that may make you happy...

Thanks
    deano

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by maseman

Cheers,

Iain
    I think I saw on the G-Shock forum that they won't fit the muddies.... :?:

Master

Re: A week with my G-Shock

:violent1:

Where's the beauty, the little heartbeat...

Now if you'd mentioned a Suunto I might have let it go :wink: