closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch Haters...Why?????

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    because they put magnets on it? I'm glad my watch does not have magnets on it because it would spend an inordinate amount of time bouncing on the floor.
    I was referring to the general designs of the bracelets and in particular their link bracelet!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by t4citurn View Post
    I agree. How many of us here have actually tried one on?

I am not saying that the Apple Watch will replace a watch for a WIS but may do so for the masses who do not wear a watch. Its rather poetic that we hear that some Swiss watch makers are planning to bring our 'smart' watches!
    I've tried one. Just so you know, I work in IT, where tech moves on all the time.

Marc says they aren't intended to replace our Swiss mechanicals, however I wouldn't imagine Apple would do it, unless they thought it WILL replace them. They love cornering markets. They've killed off basic digital cameras, many apps have killed off various products etc. I'd be surprised if Apple aren't deluded enough to think they can own the watch market as well; hence the development of the advanced strap system and the gold models etc.

I agree. How many of us here have actually tried one on?
    ok but the main issue is, why would people who're not interested in it (we've established that there are not haters so much as disinterested parties) or have no use for it try it on?
    Last edited by tekbow; 27th April 2015 at 17:31.

I was referring to the general designs of the bracelets and in particular their link bracelet!
    you mean the clasp? i'm positive i've seen something similar to that before. other than that there's the pop out links? i mean ok, very modern, but i've always found stuff like that isn't all that durable. unimpressed. Sorry, I'm not determined to dislike it, but i'm not letting myself be blown away by it either mainly because it doesn't blow me away. It looks to be executed well, I guess?

Master
    Apple is a marketing machine that's all. I like my iPhone as it runs my work life, I like my MacBook, I had an iPad but then stopped seeing the need and I have plenty of watches that tell the time.

I don't need to the millisecond accuracy, but I do need a watch I don't have to charge every 18hrs. It has a 205mAh battery which is just too small for such a powerful device.

Some people will see a use, some won't. In 5 years, who knows where things will be but tbh, right now, I couldn't care less. I'm happy with my collection of mechanical watches and there's much more prevalent world issues to be bothered about than a mini iPhone for the wrist.

At some point, I'll try one out for a few days and see if it could be usable as a fitness tracker, but it's doubtful; a Fitbit is much smaller and more suitable. So it'll probably go back within the 14 day return period and I'll have most likely confirmed my thoughts about it. I had another play today with one and I found the UI fiddly with too many inputs required from different sources; hard press, soft press, button, "crown", twist, don't twist etc etc etc

Well, perhaps it WILL replace traditional watches for many people and some makers will go out of business/make less interesting and adventurous watches.

For me, it's a rather silly, if cool gadget that will appeal to those with more disposable cash than they need and those who just feel the need to own 'cool-stuff' regardless of their wealth.

Do I hate it? Probably by Apple-Fanboi standards, but I get accused of being an iPad Hater by them and I own one and use it every day!

On the other hand, I can't see me getting another smart watch until it has a battery life measured in years!

M

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I've tried one. Just so you know, I work in IT, where tech moves on all the time.

Marc says they aren't intended to replace our Swiss mechanicals, however I wouldn't imagine Apple would do it, unless they thought it WILL replace them. They love cornering markets. They've killed off basic digital cameras, many apps have killed off various products etc. I'd be surprised if Apple aren't deluded enough to think they can own the watch market as well; hence the development of the advanced strap system and the gold models etc.
    Deluded is right. I like my iPhone 6+. It's great for watching videos or listening to music when travelling, and it takes a decent snapshot. You're right in that I can't see why I'd buy a basic £100 digital camera these days. But watches are a different kettle of fish entirely. I have an iPhone for communication and the things I mentioned before, and a load of watches because I love watches. Taking a couple of watches as an example, my Daytona or AP RO aren't going to be out of date in 18 months time gathering dust in a drawer. They're largely unchanged in looks since they were first released. The first time Apple release Apple Watch 2, or change the charging cable, all of the existing Apple Watches will be worthless, even the £13K gold ones. That's not to say that there isn't a market for them, but there's no way on earth the Swiss high end market has anything to worry about.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think this will end up being viewed the same way as those Bluetooth ear pieces some people walk around wearing.

Master
    I don't dislike the Apple Watch but it is a phone accessory that can also give you the time, but not really a watch.

One day Smartwatches will be autonomous and then they may get a Forum page of their own - till then, I'm afraid I regard them in the same way as I would headphones, charging stations and Bluetooth loudspeakers.

(P.S. I don't like people using the word "hate" to describe something which is not to their liking, or something with which they disagree. "Hate" is much too strong a word to use for internet trivia. )

Why would it? he's talking about the original iphone at the time in comparison to their, also new to market, products.

You're on a watch forum where people are wearing things which they enjoy wearing, things which have an established market and have been around a very long time, and they just don't care, more or less about the apple watch. Especially when they have the benefit of hindsight and are well and truly familiar with apple gadgets these days. Apple isn't th company it was then, and a lot of people are suspicious or jaded by it.

2 completely different things.

Sorry we don't share your enthusiasm for it, well, sorry I don't anyway, can't speak for others.

I'd be considered a "hater"

But the reality is I have very little hate for the Apple watch, it's a wasted emotion,
    Aesthetically i think it's nice to look at, but I'm just really not interested in it as it's just another accessory for the iphone, rather than truely being a "smart" watch

1. I have mechanical watches i've spent decent money, so its an expense for something i won't use, if i'm going to wear two watches, i'll do it like Castro, and rock two GMT's

2. I know i'm unhealthy, like to eat pies and drink whisky, I don't need a watch to tell me that, but i'm not lazy enough to be able to take my phone out my pocket at look at my mail.

3. I Don't like propriety tech that forces you to upgrade to use all the features, nor do i like tech that is vastly reliant on other tech to function.

I'm a believer in redundancy, rather than being reliant on an all in one solution, which could fail, or run out of power rendering all features useless... whereas a seperate camera/mp3 player/phone means when one unit fails you still have the others functioning. Which is where the core of my problem with the Apple watch lie.

Sure the iphone, can function as a Watch on its own... but once you're phone battery dies, that's it. Some form of built in memory etc would make it more appealing. Considering the form factor, Garmin have crammed more into a standalone unit, complete with 8gb memory, full gps capablilites etc.

This of course would impact their sales strategy, which is why there was never a 32GB+ 4th gen Nano (which i did have a watch band for) perfectly doable from a technical standpoint, but they have a whole product line to shift so why make something that's actually good, when you can shift an Apple Watch 2, or 3 every year and have consumers lap it up.

but, i'll end like this,
    If it works for someone, that's fine with me.

Not everyone like octagonal watches that are bolted together with exposed screws or bolts or something, but they work for me, and if we all liked the same things life would be boring.
    Last edited by endo; 27th April 2015 at 17:57.

A smart watch is a sterile, inert, characterless, insipid little piece of transient techno-tinsel with none of the qualities that the folk on this forum seek out in their mechanical watches.
    Is it any wonder it`s received such a luke-warm response here?

I sit firmly on the fence that if you want one buy it, if you don't want one don't buy it. It's that simple!
    For me I like the design, I like the chunky bracelet and the over all look. It won't replace any of my auto watches and it won't stop me from buying more auto watches. If they were readily available I would have probably already bought one, it's a free world, I'm a big boy and do what I please.
    Would I be following a crowd of fan boys? No, I'd be buying it because I wanted it.

Meh...

Not another tracking/spying device with planned obsolescence...

I never expected TZ-UK members to be in the market for such things.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rano85 View Post
    Can't say I really care one way or t'other.
    Exactly this

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    (P.S. I don't like people using the word "hate" to describe something which is not to their liking, or something with which they disagree. "Hate" is much too strong a word to use for internet trivia. )
    "Internet hate" is for folks with digital views of the world - totally with us or totally against us. The force is stronger when it comes to brands; whether technology, football clubs, cars... Probably on a forum somewhere there are people revving up to kill each other over brands of collar stiffener. It's pathetic, in a way.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Surely an Apple Watch is merely a tool which has yet to prove its worth.
    A fine mechanical wrist watch appeals to a part of the human psyche far beyond the reach of such a device.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 27th April 2015 at 21:38.

To add, I have an Apple watch and even used it when I ran the London Marathon.

First off, it feels great on your wrist. It's a nice thing to wear and doesn't feel like you are wearing a smart watch.

Second, it's all about presenting information in a more accessible format. Before smart phones we all checked our email and browsed the web via a computer; times change and technology moves on.

It certainly is not for everyone but what it does, it does very well.

what does wearing a smart watch feel like?

actually i'm going to stop with the posting on this thread, because all the defense and justifications fanboys have for the apple watch just puts me off more. All the things described above are not what i consider a watch to be. It's just not a watch. It's a pricey gadget with planned obsolescence. and crap battery by the sounds of it.

i'd rather staple my balls to my forehead than discuss a thing that is so offensively not a watch in the watch talk sub forum.

I think you need to look up the definition of the word watch. Then you need to stop being so angry.

When I said it doesn't feel like you are wearing a smart watch, I meant in comparison to other smart watches I've tried. Both the Moto 360 and Samsung Gear did not feel as natural as on the wrist as the Apple watch does.

If you don't see a need for one then fine, they are not for everyone but it seems exceptionally churlish to try and claim they are not a watch.

i'd rather staple my balls to my forehead than discuss a thing that is so offensively not a watch in the watch talk sub forum.
    What is it about Apple that makes otherwise intelligent people completely lose their minds?

Grand Master
    The iWatch is not the wrist gadget of the future, the gadget of the future is the iStrap which will allow a quality watch to be accompanied by a functional band
    RIAC

Craftsman
    what does wearing a smart watch feel like?

actually i'm going to stop with the posting on this thread, because all the defense and justifications fanboys have for the apple watch just puts me off more. All the things described above are not what i consider a watch to be. It's just not a watch. It's a pricey gadget with planned obsolescence. and crap battery by the sounds of it.

I will continue to be perplexed by the level of anger that is generated by a tech company.

I will continue to be perplexed by the level of anger that is generated by a tech company.
    Indeed. I will also continue to be perplexed by the level of anger and hatred directed towards a certain Genevan mass-producer of watches.

It's the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    What is it about Apple that makes otherwise intelligent people completely lose their minds?
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Indeed. I will also continue to be perplexed by the level of anger and hatred directed towards a certain Genevan mass-producer of watches.

It's the same thing.
    That's easy, well in my mind anyway.
    It's because it's the Rolex of the IT world. Not the best, not the most expensive, certainly not the most innovative.
    But, they make great products which people love, and I mean love to own and use (whatever their validation is for it).
    Also similarly to Rolex servicing and it's controlling nature, Apple has its 'eco-system' with the OS and iOS. Great if you want to be part of it, understand and accept its limitations / restrictions, not so great if you want 'freedom'.

The hate part is easy to deal with, don't like the 'rules' then don't buy into it, it really is that simple. Or is it? If you're one for 'freedom' and want a product by that brand, but don't want the conditions it comes with, I think that's when the "it's rubbish", "I'd never own one" "anyone who has one is just part of the herd" etc. etc comes from.
    They aren't rubbish, just rubbish for that person's needs.

Me personally?
    Well I own Rolex watches and have iProducts, some for work, some for home, but I also have Windows products and other watches too, as the Apple OS won't do everything I need.
    And yes I have owned a few other mid to high range watches, but none lasted as long, tried Android too for a while.
    Last edited by rob-vicar; 28th April 2015 at 08:09.

Master
    Just don't see the point of something on my wrist telling what is going on with the portable device in my pocket, yet as far as I can tell it doesn't work without said gadget in my pocket. I might be wrong but why have more tech than I need and my smart phone is already more annoying than I need it to be!

Or the simple answer might be that I'm now a miserable old git.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rob-vicar View Post
    That's easy, well in my mind anyway.
    It's because it's the Rolex of the IT world.
    I see the parallels but I also see differences. People who buy Apple products are attracted by the different-ness of the product; it's not a mass-produced, grey Windows clone or a geeky Android device. It's clean, cool and unfussy with a strong dash of minimalism. Although they are certainly part of an equally large "herd", the products are presented as individualistic ("i-...") and personal, as if customised to suit.

I can imagine Apple owners, when shopping for an expensive wristwatch, being fundamentally opposed to the supposed herd-like conformity of a Rolex... although I can't see that correlation working the other way around - in other words if you had a Rolex, what phone would you choose? I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post
    I think you need to look up the definition of the word watch. Then you need to stop being so angry.

When I said it doesn't feel like you are wearing a smart watch, I meant in comparison to other smart watches I've tried. Both the Moto 360 and Samsung Gear did not feel as natural as on the wrist as the Apple watch does.

If you don't see a need for one then fine, they are not for everyone but it seems exceptionally churlish to try and claim they are not a watch.
    Actually, go on, one more time.

For me its a bit like the intelligent design/creationism vs evolution argument.

One superficially gives the appearence of science by trying to look and sound like science, and has cult of devotees who oh so badly want it to be science, but it isn't science and should not be taught in science class.

The other one is science.

you need to stop taking stuff so seriously vis a vis ball stapling.
    Last edited by tekbow; 28th April 2015 at 08:39.

It's a watch. Move on.

It's a watch. Move on.
    yes i know you want it to be, and apparently it bothers you that someone doesn't like apple, so may i start calling my tablet a clock or my PC? they both have screen savers that look like clock faces? they look like clocks when they have the screensavers up so they must be clocks

I shall go start a thread on a clockmakers/clock enthusiasts forum about how awesome my new clock is and how it has all these other functions to boot

fortunately i do not need to carry my clock around with me in order for my watch to be of use

Its a very very small smart phone that fits on your wrist and some marketer was clever enough to make a big deal out of a secondary function.

it's not a watch, move on
    Last edited by tekbow; 28th April 2015 at 08:51.

I 'blogged about this a while back (and no, I don't expect anyone to have read it) and have been having exactly these conversations on and off for months on Twitter and Instagram, as well as at just about *every* single watch-related get-together / meeting.

The "is it even a watch anyway" question is moot. If Apple really have crossed the watch / wearable boundary and achieved smartwatch escape velocity, I'm absolutely *positive* that they would have already told us.

I suppose that I'm unusual; I self-identify as a #watchnerd, but, to be honest, I'm also an #atomicclocknerd, a #pendulumclocknerd, a #smartwatchnerd and probably a #pocketwatchnerd too. I don't see why these badges need to be mutually exclusive, to be honest.

But I'm probably wrong. I usually am...
    Last edited by Broussard; 28th April 2015 at 09:04.

This is hilarious. Other than being a shareholder, I don't care if you like Apple or not. I don't even use a Mac as my main computer.

I just find it staggering you are trying to claim it is not a watch. I assume any watch that also displays the date is not a watch? The Tissot Touch range, also not watches? Breitlings with emergency beacons, also not watches.

Staggering.

This is hilarious. Other than being a shareholder, I don't care if you like Apple or not. I don't even use a Mac as my main computer.

I just find it staggering you are trying to claim it is not a watch. I assume any watch that also displays the date is not a watch? The Tissot Touch range, also not watches? Breitlings with emergency beacons, also not watches.

Staggering.
    no, i don't call my watch a calender because it displays the date, or the breitling a PLB because it has a emergency beacon. these are secondary functions that do not define what the object is, you see the difference?

if this was discussed in a new tech subforum, or smartwatch forum or a forum for gadgets in general, then fine

Quote Originally Posted by LonginesManiac View Post
    Meh...

Not another tracking/spying device with planned obsolescence...

I never expected TZ-UK members to be in the market for such things.
    Well said!!!

Blog Entries
    The one and only android is Data, and he doesn't need Apples.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

It's not a watch. It's a device with time telling capability.
    Gray

I just find it staggering you are trying to claim it is not a watch.
    Stagger away, twice per post seemingly (and enjoy the evident hilarity therein).

I make no claims either way as I don't care, but to me watch is something which has a primary purpose as... a watch.

This is a miniaturized wrist-wearable tablet. Unless people are intending to wear them solely as a watch without linking them to their phones, but then it has no reason to be? If used as a watch only, it's rubbish and will be dead in a day.

Tissot Touch - its primary purpose is that of a watch. Breitling Emergency; its primary purpose is that of a watch. I'm hilariously staggered (twice) that you don't see that.

This is the funniest thread I've seen in a while

And i thankyou for providing a fair amount of the recent sport and entertainment therein

Grand Master

Staggering.
    Utterly Absinthe-induced staggering, or just a bad dose of room-spin :)

The iWatch's time-telling capability is obviously not its first raison d'etre. It about as much a watch as a fitness band with a time display, which is not to say it can't perform a function as a watch, but clearly its intention is to do a whole lot more.

Maybe the clue is in the brand name - Apple Watch. I don't always get it right though, Pop Tarts were definitely not what I imagined.

Master
    Really?? I think I've read much funnier threads lately.

I don't see it as a watch either really. If the Borrowers had an iPhone, it would be like an Apple Watch, but then they'd need a real iPhone for it to work!

Blog Entries
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I see the parallels but I also see differences. People who buy Apple products are attracted by the different-ness of the product; it's not a mass-produced, grey Windows clone or a geeky Android device. It's clean, cool and unfussy with a strong dash of minimalism. Although they are certainly part of an equally large "herd", the products are presented as individualistic ("i-...") and personal, as if customised to suit.

I can imagine Apple owners, when shopping for an expensive wristwatch, being fundamentally opposed to the supposed herd-like conformity of a Rolex... although I can't see that correlation working the other way around - in other words if you had a Rolex, what phone would you choose? I have no idea.
    Sorry what?
    I suppose it depends where you work and the social circles you are in.
    In mine, for example, its is almost Apple everything, the driving force for many is "they've got one, I want one" It is ubiquitous, common even. And of course it's mass-produced.
    Granted comparing market for market you can't. Or actually you can, well sort of.
    Apple products with their OS Vs Any-Make with Windows, I suppose you could have Rolex with in-house Vs Any-Make with an ETA.

Then again thinking about it, my thoughts were more general, as said, a both successful companies with desirable products, and obviously some people just hate that, or is it more a case of the haters think themselves above the crowd with their individual life choices therefore look down upon 'the herd'

You better get in touch with the OED as they left out the words "primary function" when defining what a watch is.
    Last edited by inkiboo; 28th April 2015 at 09:19.

How sad. Perhaps you should get out more?

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 8617

Attachment 8618

You better get in touch with the OED as they left out the words "primary function" when defining what a watch is.
    I'll just repeat myself - How sad. Perhaps you should get out more?

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    How sad. Perhaps you should get out more?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll just repeat myself - How sad. Perhaps you should get out more?
    I'm not the one arguing that a watch isn't a watch!

I'm not the one arguing that a watch isn't a watch!
    No but you're arguing that something that isn't a watch is, on a watch forum with people who are obviously not fans?

Are we not allowed to have our own opinions? Does apple not want that?

You actually went into the dictionary LMAO

As i said, that makes my laptop a clock, I'm joining a clock enthusiasts forum to post about it as we speak.

Also, I cannot wait to receive my new officer and crew on a watch duty period to wear n my wrist. I hope they come with leather straps
    Last edited by tekbow; 28th April 2015 at 09:24.

No but you're arguing that something that isn't a watch is, on a watch forum with people who are obviously not fans?

Are we not allowed to have our own opinions? Does apple not want that?

Of course you can have your own opinions but it's hard to have an opinion that a watch is not a watch when by various objective, rather than subjective, measures it's clearly a watch.

I really have no idea why there is so much negativity towards a product that I believe can only be good for the watch industry as a whole. Do I like my Omegas less because I own an Apple watch? Not even slightly. If only 1% of those who buy an Apple watch go on to buy another watch then the industry will be rather happy.