closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Absolute defining film of all time

Master

Your Absolute defining film of all time

I don't mean your latest film-crush, I am talking about that film that always touched and perhaps changed you - the one that has been special to you for years, or maybe decades. The one that you watched in open-mouthed awe or that made you cry.

Often these films are pretty innocuous, and it's only the personal connection that make them special.

For me personally "Interstellar" blew everything I ever felt about films out of the water, more for personal reasons than pure cinematography.

The David Lean version of "Great Expectations" is another deeply held favourite. Going back, I have always had a deep soft spot for "Bronx Tale" and "Carlitos Way", but for the purposes of this thread it's "Interstellar".

Losing my mum (who I was very, very close to) the day I qualified professionally after 20 years of struggling to get there (with my mum as my number 1 fan) had a massive impact on me, and if I'm honest probably screwed me up pretty badly for 5 or 6 years. Only in recent years am I getting back to normality. Watching "Interstellar" really made me think about loss, love, persistence, redemption, endurance and heart.

So, what's your all time favourite film, and specifically - why?

Lion King; deep on so many levels.

Godfather; see above.

Forrest Gump. No particular reason.

Harvey
    James Stewart, Josephine Hull, Peggy Dow

Affected me deeply - what is real, what isnt, the things that we project our hopes, fears and love on to and what they then come to mean to us. How we are only ever a heartbeat away from losing the things most dear to us.

First saw it when I was about 10 and have watched it every couple of years for the 46 years since. I shed a tear and raise a smile every time.

A beautiful film.

BLADE RUNNER

Perfection, and feeds the imagination

Craftsman
    +1 for Lion King. First film I saw in the cinema and many poignant moments and messages.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Forrest Gump. No particular reason.
    There must be a reason, and deep down you know what it is... but if you'd rather not share..

PS Excellent film!

As you may well know, in the US, there's a chain of restaurant called "Bubba Gumps" - based on the film - and it's SO GOOD!!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    BLADE RUNNER

Perfection, and feeds the imagination
    Looking forwards to the sequel?

Not me (especially), as I too love the original. Recently re-shown on the big screen at CineWorld, and was amazing on the big screen!

Once Upon a Time In the West

PS: The older i get the better it gets. i watched it again on the Frecciabianca train from Bologna to Lecce last Thursday. Reminded me how deeply rooted in Italian culture it is, but that's just one layer of the masterpiece.
    Last edited by raysablade; 26th April 2015 at 20:45.

Master
    Titfield Thunderbolt

Craftsman
    To kill a mocking bird,

The scene when scout is dressed as a ham, I've no idea why but it has me in bits every time I watch it.

Blade Runner. Roy Batty's death scene is the most striking thing I saw when I was younger and the visuals....still my favourite film evs

The Shawshank Redemption, a brilliant film on many levels. Especially the perseverance of the human spirit and one of mum's favourite films who sadly passed away a couple of months ago. Re-watched recently and still as good as ever. Also penned by one of my favourite authors

Life is beautiful..... Makes me cry just thinking about it, I saw it before I became a father and it affected me, if I watched it now as a dad of 2 small kids I would need a few days off work to recover I reckon.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Kes - football scene, getting caned and after our Jud has killed the bird.
    Whistle Down the Wind - it isn't Jesus it's just a fella.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Looking forwards to the sequel?

Not me (especially), as I too love the original. Recently re-shown on the big screen at CineWorld, and was amazing on the big screen!
    Definitely not! It'll probably be a while before I view, will try put it off as long as possible!

The original is timeless genius, with Ridley at his peak (and he's not at the helm this time). They should leave well alone, but hey that's Hollywood, make the $$$ and repeat.

Craftsman
    plenty of movies deserves to be named as great
    but creating a film which has great scenario, actors, climat and philosophy tractate...
    Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman

2001, A space odyssey.
    Way ahead of its time in production and portrayal of an idea. Loved every minute.
    Been reading sci-fi since I was old enough to 'get' it, and this film kept me wanting more.

Not long ago, I saw 'Solaris'. had a lot of that old flavour, impressed, I was.

"This Is Spinal Tap" is my favorite film of all time by some margin. I am borderline obsessed with it. It's a film that makes me feel good every time I watch it and every time I watch it I see something new to laugh at. I love the characters like they are my family. I don't trust people who dislike it.

So many great films, some already mentioned, and the film I'd take to my desert island would be The Godfather. But this is about films that touch you more than great films. So, being the child of divorced parents and experiencing everything that went with that I'd say Kramer vs Kramer and, as an adult and a father with two young children I'm going for The Descendants.

Sorry I couldn't choose one.

Craftsman
    Dances With Wolves.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me how it robbed Goodfellas at the Oscars, but for me it deserved everything it won. I still listen regularly to John Barry's fantastic score.

1. 2001 a Space Odyssey - like nothing else I've ever seen. Perfect.
    2. Alien - a very underrated film.
    3. The Graduate - an absolute classic. Brings back great memories and a smile to my face every time I see it.
    4. Rush - By no means perfect, it's very cheesy in parts but the racing scenes are immense (plus it's based on the best sporting story ever which helps). The only film I've watched twice at the cinema.
    5. Apocalypse Now - Best war film.
    6. Raging Bull - Beautifully filmed and acted and the music gets me every time.
    7. Senna - great documentary, albeit a little rose tinted.
    8. Saving Private Ryan - just for the first 30 harrowing minutes
    9. Bullitt - not just that car chase scene, it's a great film in it's on right.
    10. LA Confidential - only seen it once a few years ago, but I remember it was brilliant.

Shawshank redemption.

Whistle Down The Wind
    Been in love with Hayley Mills ever since.

Betty Blue
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Banned
    T2 or Aliens, I will watch them both at some point once a year on our projector, sound cranked up, sci-fi at it's best.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Dances With Wolves.
    Phenomenal film. Twosocks getting shot was devastating as a child.

There are many movies I like, am quite a movie buff, its really hard to decide on one, because it's a bit like asking which your favorite watch.

Well, either way, if I had to come up right now with the movie that affected my psyche the most, that would be Le salaire de la peur or "The Wages of Fear" as is the English title. I've seen this movie the first time when I was around 11, parents had a VHS of it and it was in French with no subtitles (my mother is fluent, I was not much at the time), but somehow, even though I could only understand about 1/2 or less of what was being said, the movie really stuck with me, the imagery, the heavy atmosphere & most of all that "dance of death" truck scene near the end. I must've watched it at least another dozen times since then, at various intervals of time, the last around 2 years ago, first time watching it together with my wife. She liked it as well .

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    "This Is Spinal Tap" is my favorite film of all time by some margin. I am borderline obsessed with it. It's a film that makes me feel good every time I watch it and every time I watch it I see something new to laugh at. I love the characters like they are my family. I don't trust people who dislike it.
    Same here, love the movie. Went through a pretty rough patch back in 1989, my best mates got me to watch this and it made me laugh for the first time in months. Became a bit of a Saturday ritual for us to go to each other's houses and watch a copy taped of channel 4. Still remember most of the adverts and always gets quoted when i see my best mates (not as often as we'd like but life gets in the way).

Still obsessed. Put this in the front garden rockery I built recently, although it is in danger of been crushed by a dwarf

Local Hero. I found the scenery, music and offbeat humour really inspiring during my formative years. The soundtrack is still essential listening for me when driving in rugged countryside; bringing back memories of many happy times. And Jenny Seagrove

Blade Runner and Pulp Fiction both blew me away when I first saw them, and I would probably rather watch either of them now, but as a personally defining movie Local Hero has the edge.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post

That made me smile!

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    T2 or Aliens, I will watch them both at some point once a year on our projector, sound cranked up, sci-fi at it's best.
    I absolutely love these 2 films. T2 is a nonstop chase film that they will never be able to better or emulate with a sequel. Aliens is equally superb and brilliant for how different but just as good as the first.

But to the OP's question. For me it's the original Star Wars Trilogy. A friend introduced them to me after school when I was about 14/15. Up until then I had never really had a favourite film(s) or wad a big film fan. But that changed after SW.

T2 or Mad Max for me…….

Blog Entries
    If I had to choose one film, it would be The Shawshank Redemption.

I watched it when it first came out many years ago and to this day, one of the few films I will sit and watch on "Live" TV, even through the adverts.

I just love the way it showcases the human spirit and amongst many good and bad qualities, most of all, how hope endures.

Star Wars

The first one.

Same here, love the movie. Went through a pretty rough patch back in 1989, my best mates got me to watch this and it made me laugh for the first time in months. Became a bit of a Saturday ritual for us to go to each other's houses and watch a copy taped of channel 4. Still remember most of the adverts and always gets quoted when i see my best mates (not as often as we'd like but life gets in the way).

Still obsessed. Put this in the front garden rockery I built recently, although it is in danger of been crushed by a dwarf

That's awesome! If you haven't got hold of any of the dvd or blu ray releases yet, get them immediately. The extras are almost as good as the main feature. There is over an hour of glorious out takes that could easily have been in the film but were excised for pacing reasons.

Craftsman
    Platoon- There must have been so many guys who got close to getting home that didn't.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Angels with dirty faces. Cagney at his Abouslute best.

Quote Originally Posted by WORKSIMON View Post
    Betty Blue
    Anything to do with the first couple mins, Si?

That's awesome! If you haven't got hold of any of the dvd or blu ray releases yet, get them immediately. The extras are almost as good as the main feature. There is over an hour of glorious out takes that could easily have been in the film but were excised for pacing reasons.
    Must have changed the DVD since I got it, will have to check it out, quite a bit of stuff in you tube (Nigel's theory of stone henge is brilliant) - I assume these are lifted off the blue ray?

The henge has had a few comments off the neighbours, Mrs thinks it's brilliant, one of the reasons she's my Mrs!

Must have changed the DVD since I got it, will have to check it out, quite a bit of stuff in you tube (Nigel's theory of stone henge is brilliant) - I assume these are lifted off the blue ray?

The henge has had a few comments off the neighbours, Mrs thinks it's brilliant, one of the reasons she's my Mrs!
    Sorry, I meant to say 'special edition' dvd. The UK special edition dvd release is from MGM, and contains all the glorious extras as does the blu-ray that came later.

I'm tempted to say Zulu, not only is it a magnificent film in every way but it is the first film I remember going to see with my parents at the cinema.

But I'm going to go with Casablanca. I just find so many scenes that move me to tears - Rick fixing the roulette result so the young girl doesn't have to shag Captain Renault to get exit papers, the Free French singing the Marseillaise to drown out the German officers, the final scene at the airport, etc. And that wonderful song - one of the best ever in a film.

Jean De Florette / Manon Des Sources,
    The quiet man,

I loved Interstellar, but for me the Prestige does it. The thing that makes this film a masterpiece, for me, is it has rewatch value - rewatch value that has you absolutely kicking yourself as you go along. Its the only movie I can think of that demands you see it twice, and has you looking at the story from two different perspectives.

Sorry, I meant to say 'special edition' dvd. The UK special edition dvd release is from MGM, and contains all the glorious extras as does the blu-ray that came later.
    Time to look on Amazon - it can go next to my "smell the glove" LP - how much more black can you get?

Craftsman

Cool

Casablanca for me, too!

The forbidden love story, the compassion for life along with the adversity of war with human failings and expression of human spirit in general all around made for a memorable production.

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Dances With Wolves.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell me how it robbed Goodfellas at the Oscars, but for me it deserved everything it won. I still listen regularly to John Barry's fantastic score.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Phenomenal film. Twosocks getting shot was devastating as a child.
    My favourite too. Encapulates so many aspects of the human spirit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    1. 2001 a Space Odyssey - like nothing else I've ever seen. Perfect.
    2. Alien - a very underrated film.
    3. The Graduate - an absolute classic. Brings back great memories and a smile to my face every time I see it.
    4. Rush - By no means perfect, it's very cheesy in parts but the racing scenes are immense (plus it's based on the best sporting story ever which helps). The only film I've watched twice at the cinema.
    5. Apocalypse Now - Best war film.
    6. Raging Bull - Beautifully filmed and acted and the music gets me every time.
    7. Senna - great documentary, albeit a little rose tinted.
    8. Saving Private Ryan - just for the first 30 harrowing minutes
    9. Bullitt - not just that car chase scene, it's a great film in it's on right.
    10. LA Confidential - only seen it once a few years ago, but I remember it was brilliant.
    LOVE this list esp nos 1,2, 5 and 8.
    If I could add two I'd say Forrest Gump (I read the book at the same time and it was deeply moving) and The Goonies ( no child growing up in the 80s could have done without it!!)
    Last edited by Highroller; 26th April 2015 at 22:54. Reason: 5

Blog Entries
    Mississippi Burning... Why? Probably the me most moving film I've ever seen, as it gives a powerful insight into the best and worst of humanity...

Good thread!!

I really like basketball diaries.

Suppose it teaches u drugs fk u up :))

Either way, cracking film but I do like most films with Leonardo di cap.