closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nest battery smoke alarms any good?

Master

Nest battery smoke alarms any good?

Hi guys

we need to fit two battery smoke alarms on our landing and hallway and we just think they all look awful apart from Nest, so are they ok and do they work well as that is the only one we like, and where is the cheapest place to buy them?

Thanks

I can't help with any useful knowledge but the fact that they will phone you up to tell you that they're on fire did make me smile!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I can't help with any useful knowledge but the fact that they will phone you up to tell you that they're on fire did make me smile!
    Hehehe that makes me smile as well :)

Great idea but keep your receipt handy. I refer to the video below.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Great idea but keep your receipt handy. I refer to the video below.

When was that video as they did remove them from sale for a period and sorted out a problem.

The video is a good few months old, you can probably trace it back towards the end of last year. I've no doubt its fixed now as they can be firmware upgraded, but as with any tech it can fail and depending on the environment, can be more prone to failure.

Craftsman

free

Try contacting your local Fire Station, there`s a Govt funded scheme supply & fit for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyrider View Post
    Try contacting your local Fire Station, there`s a Govt funded scheme supply & fit for free.
    Doubt they'd be Nests

I don't know anything about them, but my wife supervises and regulates them, among other things, as a government official in The Finnish Safety and Chemicals Agency (Tukes). She got us smoke alarms from Kidde to our home, and said they have been consistently excellent in the tests ordered by Tukes.

I wouldn't care one bit about how they look.

If you want something that looks a bit different, how about the 'Chick-A-Dee Smoke Detector'? Would certainly work in a child's room.

Master
    Thanks guys but the thing is my wife Linda hates the way smoke alarms all look apart from the nest so if we must have them then they have to look good so it will be two nests and that will keep her happy :)

ring your local fire station ours fit two smoke detectors with 10 year battery free of charge.

Master
    We've got a couple and I think they're very good. We had new floors laid last week and the dust made it send me a message re smoke. Realised it wasn't a fire so didn't make a noise. I got them as we've also got the nest thermostat so the alarms act as extra sensors for the away from home. They also light up when it's dark and you walk near them which is a decent feature.

I have one, in the dinning room they work well and they also detect carbon monoxide. Has gone off a couple of times when the Mrs has been cooking but can be silenced, gives you a warning before the alarm sounds which is good as you get a chance to fix the problem, with out the annoying noise.

Master
    Thanks Andy that's good to know, we will be getting two of those as soon as needed.