closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A 1953 grail arrives

A 1953 grail arrives

After a long search, I finally got my hands on a '53 Omega RAF pilot's watch, and it's just as nice as I hoped. I believe this is a Bienne-restored example, which for me is an ideal compromise between condition, practicality, and budget. Needless to say, I love it. The strap is a Morellato "Jump" in olive green; with the bottom flappy bit cut off, it's the closest thing I've found to an original DEF-3 strap.

- Matt

Master
    Absolutely lovely. The case really is very similar to the 1998 Dynamic which was supposed to be a loose homage to this very watch I believe. Really nice lume colour too. Winner!

Thanks! You are right about the 1990's Dynamic. I've owned that one too, and completely contrary to modern trends, the case on the modern reissue is actually several millimeters smaller in both width and thickness. Not often does it happen that the older watch is the bigger one!

Amazing watch.
    Congrats and enjoy it.

The simplicity of this design is timeless,and that looks a lovely example.

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    Thanks. I'm almost sure this one was restored at Bienne at some point. Some purists might prefer a completely untouched example, even if it's mouldy and moth-eaten, but I like the idea that it's been returned to as-issued condition and given another fifty-year lease on life!

Journeyman
    That is a beautiful watch, love the simplicity of it. Just hope you have not set me on a long quest!!! What are the dimensions please.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbsy View Post
    What are the dimensions please.
    38 mm diameter, 48 mm lug to lug, 13 mm thick. Really quite modern measurements for a watch of this vintage. At the time I'm sure it was considered enormous, but in contemporary terms it's nearly perfect.

I thought that Eddie's 53 was lush (can one still say that these days?). Actually I still think that; however your Omega is just plain delightful.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    38 mm diameter, 48 mm lug to lug, 13 mm thick. Really quite modern measurements for a watch of this vintage. At the time I'm sure it was considered enormous, but in contemporary terms it's nearly perfect.
    Thanks for that, i may start looking, in slow time of course!

Congrats

Good pictueres

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    +1

Stunning. So this is the original version of the dial with thin arrow and radium lume, right? Interesting (and lucky) that it went to Bienne without being "upgraded" to the fat arrow with tritium. I guess the Swiss trip was fairly recent?

Marvelous!

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    So this is the original version of the dial with thin arrow and radium lume, right? Interesting (and lucky) that it went to Bienne without being "upgraded" to the fat arrow with tritium. I guess the Swiss trip was fairly recent?
    The story, as I understand it, is that there was a period - two or three decades ago now - when you could send your 6B/542 back to Omega in Bienne and have the dial replaced with a NOS thin arrow radium dial. After that supply ran out, they did for a while also perform factory restoration of an existing dial, following the thin arrow pattern and using tritium lume. As far as I'm aware, they haven't offered either service for quite a few years now. If there are any experts about with more accurate information, I'd be happy to be corrected.

I have no information on when mine was at Bienne. In fact I'm only assuming that it was restored by Omega because the condition is so nice, and the brushed finish on the hands is a telltale sign of a Bienne restoration (originals were polished). I don't know if it has radium or tritium - perhaps I should buy a Geiger counter? Anyway, I won't be eating it or sleeping with it under my pillow, so I'm sure it's alright either way.

For photos of original, un-touched thin arrow radium dials, see this thread and also this one. I can only imagine what those would be worth to a really hardcore collector!

Journeyman
    Congratulations, that is just stunning.

Call me a luddite but why don't they make them like this anymore?

Enjoy.

Craftsman
    Pure class. I like that a lot. How long you been searching for one?

Probably for about two years since I decided I wanted one. They come up for sale now and again, but you have to watch out for fakes, frankens, and poor specimens. In the intervening time I learned a lot about the 6B/542 so I could learn avoid the aforementioned, while also adding to the rest of my collection and making a few new friends too.

Apprentice
    That is a holy grail

Apprentice
    Nice bit of kit.

Beautiful watch in museum condition!

Craftsman
    Absolute class and a bit of horological history Are you planning om wearing it much? Congrats in any event :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deansyorath View Post
    That is a holy grail
    No, it's a watch. Watch and holy grail are two entirely different things.

Albeit a lovely watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
    Absolute class and a bit of horological history Are you planning om wearing it much? Congrats in any event :-)
    Thanks! And yes, I think I shall wear it, not just leave it in the box. Certainly not in situations where I'm likely to be doing any rough work, but I think on the canvas strap it will make a nice occasional summertime watch.

The 53FA/TA really is the definitive mil watch, imho.

As Ken Gordon says: " I consider the ’53 RAF Omega as the iconic military wristwatch. It has all the hallmarks of a well-designed military wristwatch: an uncluttered large dial layout, prominent and well-proportioned hands, and the cal 283 is bullet-proof. It has a real presence on the wrist because of its size and weight, and the fixed strap bars and stainless steel case reinforces its military credentials. The case-back markings are like no other. The Mk. 11 may be a favourite for many collectors (for good reason), but for me, the ’53 RAF Omega is number one on my top 10 list."

Love those photos, too -- amazing lighting and background and . . . things (like how it seems to float unsupported in mid-air)

Wore my 53 FA to a Belle & Sebastian gig last night, it kept better time than the man clapping next to me :-)

Cheers Ollie. Of course I can't wait to see this one on a proper DEF-3 strap!

- Matt

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by workahol View Post
    Thanks! And yes, I think I shall wear it, not just leave it in the box. Certainly not in situations where I'm likely to be doing any rough work, but I think on the canvas strap it will make a nice occasional summertime watch.
    I think that is spot on-it should be enjoyed and shown, not sat in a box! You'll have a good Summer, I can tell...! Good for you.

Beautiful watch and great photos. There's just too much to learn about all these different watches!!

May I ask where you finally sourced this beauty?

Quote Originally Posted by tasum View Post
    May I ask where you finally sourced this beauty?
    With a bit of quick work and a lot of luck I managed to get it away from a member of another forum. I don't know where he himself got it, other than that he told me he bought it as part of a job lot from an estate and wasn't interested in anything that didn't say "Rolex"...

Craftsman
    That is an absolute stunner.

I can imagine many happy hours lost admiring it!

very cool!

Master
    Absolute stunning!