closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kingston upon Thames becoming quite the WIS destination

Master

Kingston upon Thames becoming quite the WIS destination

Popped into Kingston this morning with Mrs. MST to pick up a few bits & pieces for our impending Summer holiday, it's the first time we've visited in quite a while having moved out this way; Guildford's now more accessible, and whilst walking around I couldn't help but find myself awestruck by the concentration of ADs in the Bentalls Centre alone. You've got Chisholm Hunter, Ernest Jones, Fraser Hart and Swag (pre-owned) all within throwing distance of one and other covering virtually all of the lower and middle-upper range brands, everything from Rotary to Rolex.

OK, Burlington Arcade it is not but you'd be hard pushed not to find something that tickles your fancy, or is it just me and I need to get out more?
    Last edited by MST; 24th April 2015 at 20:42.

Don't forget the other Ernest Jones outside (there are 2 Ernest Jones) that is an approved Omega Boutique (as well as having a great Breitling selection).

What's the second hand store like? Good range and prices?

Craftsman
    Not seen any decent second hand shops there but I think it would do well if there was one.

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Mostly just Rolex and very overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    Its appalling IMHO. Asked to see a couple of their watches out of interest, after a bit of digging I found out they service them independently of Rolex, which (I politely pointed out) might explain the amount of crud exposed when I unscrewed the crowns on the 2 watches I was looking at. To be fair to the sales assistant he looked pretty shocked too!

I might add I wandered into Bentalls on Kingston last year, was surprised they had a new frogman on display. It languished unloved for about 6 months, when they dropped the price from £500 to £250 I bought it!

Journeyman
    Yes, I used to live in Kingston for some years, that SWAG always seemed overly pricey, for no apparent reason. Kingston has always seemed to have at least 2 of every shop too; as with you MST I'm near Guildford now too-a fair few ADs still, but only 1 of most shops!

If anyone is buying an omega or Breitling in Kingston pm me and I will get you a good discount from one of the ADs there

Master
    Quite a while back I asked about a pre-owned 2541.80 (the original "Bond Seamaster") Swag had on display in their window sans price, when they told me I thought they MUST have confused it with the [arguably] more popular 2531.80...they hadn't, I walked.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    Quite a while back I asked about a pre-owned 2541.80 (the original "Bond Seamaster") Swag had on display in their window sans price, when they told me I thought they MUST have confused it with the [arguably] more popular 2531.80...they hadn't, I walked.
    Go on then-how much? The 2531.80 is my daily wearer......my friend has the 2541.80 so I know the difference in cost NEW....at the time anyway.........!

Master
    ^ From memory I think they quoted me £1,350 which is what I would expect to pay for a 2531.80 full set in tip top condition. It was in reasonably good cosmetic condition but I didn't get as far as service history etc. before I walked.
    Last edited by MST; 27th April 2015 at 11:42.

Master
    ...Fat fingers and poor grammar!
    Last edited by MST; 27th April 2015 at 11:43.

Journeyman
    Better than fat grammar and poor fingers!

Sounds like you were right to walk then, that's way more than mine cost new. Wasn't Leslie Davis in there too? I have a feeling they are also affiliated with Ernest Jones....?

Master
    Leslie Davis is now Chisholm Hunter, they've actually got quite a good range including Tudor and the store itself is quite impressive, much better than the H. Samuel style that preceded it.
    Last edited by MST; 27th April 2015 at 16:16.

Leslie Davis is now Chisholm Hunter, they've actually got quite a good range including Tudor and the store itself is quite impressive, much better the H. Samuel style that preceded it.
    I agree. They are a bit keen though. Try standing outside the window and look at their display for maybe 90 seconds and a salesperson will appear at your elbow asking if you'd like to come inside. Usually a very young person with an obvious glint of commission behind their eyes! Better than being ignored perhaps but I'm getting a bit old for sales patter!!

Master
    ^ This has never happened to me

Journeyman
    Interesting, maybe I'm lagging behind but EJ/LD AND HS were/are all part of 'Signet Jewelers'. Not sure where CH fit in yet. All the legacy or Mr Ratner anyway.....

'We also do cut-glass sherry decanters complete with six glasses on a silver-plated tray that your butler can serve you drinks on, all for £4.95. People say, "How can you sell this for such a low price?", I say, "because it's total crap!"

Whoopsy.........
    Last edited by k965781; 27th April 2015 at 16:50.

^ This has never happened to me
    Really? Are you sure you've been there? ;-)

Reckon I've had that happen 9 or 10 times now.

Agree that Swag is a rip off, but they offer quite good prices. I went there when I was thinking of selling my 16710 Pepsi (2002), but was told they only but Rolex with papers. When I asked how much he'd have offered if I had the papers was told £3800.

Always had a great service in Fraser Hart, but have a friend that works there.

Ernest Jones (Omega/Breitling) I've found a bit hit or miss. Their old assistant manager was really friendly and helpful, but generally they seem quite icy.

Ernest Jones (Longines/Hamilton) been in there a few times, and been served by idiots each time (although one of them was quite pretty)