closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch arrived this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I think the iPhone 6, 6+ and apple watch are all Bluetooth 4.0 which is low power consumption. The iPhone 6+ battery is large capacity too - I leave mine on permanently. I don't see it being too much of a problem.

I see. I'm still in the Dark Ages with an iPhone 5s. Battery life isn't one of its strong points.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Fun fact: The Apple watch synchronises time using network time protocol. If you put five Apple watches side-by-side you'll see all five Mickey Mouses animate and tap their feet exactly in synch.
    It actually just gets the time from your phone.

Journeyman
    OP, have you cleaned up your alerts on your phone so it doesn't alert you for every little thing?

Master
    any more pics / thoughts, OP?

Master
    I'm sure these things will catch on with a certain demographic, but I have a phone to use a phone and only need a watch to tell me the time - which any cheap Casio etc etc will do nicely.

I do not need to have my pulse read, be navigated, be scheduled, or reminded that I have an email. My life needs no online diary and the only calendar I own hangs on the kitchen wall. And that one doesn't need to be charged every night. The Apple Watch is not attractive to my eyes at all, in fact I find it quite ugly - reminds me of a silver "Sinclair Black Watch" which must be one of the most iconic and utterly useless timepieces ever devised. Some of the other "Smartwatches" look better - but I'm told don't have the functionality of the Apple device - but since I don't use an iPhone, this "remote control" aka Apple Watch is no good for me anyway. Perhaps that is the real reason for this watch.................as a gadget to ensure loyalty to the iPhone and prevent users absconding to Android devices. Not so daft after all.

However, I am not the droid this watch is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I bet we don't.

Agreed. It reminds me of the old calculator watches from the early 80's.

Anyway no good for me unless it comes with a new set of eyes. Mine are too shot to see all the little icons (my iPhone 6 is bad enough unless I have my glasses on). Perhaps when the 70mm version comes out.

In the mean time I will stick to my Iphone and a proper watch (which is waterproof, shock proof).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    It actually just gets the time from your phone.
    I have no idea what you mean here - yes the watch will initially sync with your phone but afterwards you can go for a run, do whatever, and the time will be accurate. It will then resync using NTP whenever it has the opportunity. What do you mean by "just gets the time from your phone"? Every clock/watch/timepiece has to sync with another - how is this any different?

I feel I can justify the novelty in my head of a cheap Android watch and still get most of the functionality I would actually use, just with a compromised experience. I'm usually a sucker for tech for the sake of tech but I am a long way from being sold on this.

Master
    Fun fact: The Apple watch synchronises time using network time protocol. If you put five Apple watches side-by-side you'll see all five Mickey Mouses animate and tap their feet exactly in synch.
    Wow, amazing. Running out to spend £600 after seeing this right now!!

Banned
    That is good to know. I was worried that the watch may not do anything useful.

Congratulations, great looking watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jayleb View Post
    Call me crazy, but I reiterate a prediction I made earlier: we will see a Rolex smartwatch variant (perhaps starting with a Tudor to test the waters first) within the next 5 years
    No, its not s prediction, if you were saying this five years ago it could poosibly be called a prediction. We already know Tag Heuer will be building a smart watch, given Swiss watch industry they will all be looking carefully at the smart watch market, whether they decide to enter that arena remains this be seen.

Craftsman
    I've been working on some Apple Watch software for the last week or so, and got my hands on a 38mm sport model this afternoon for some testing.

Got to say I am distinctly unimpressed at the moment. The watch itself feels, dare I say it cheap. Perhaps the stainless steel mid-range model will feel better?

The screen on the 38mm model is too small for my chubby fingers, and I was rather disappointed that the crown did not have some feedback, like a click perhaps.

If it's to become a phone by itself, it's awkward to put to the ear. If it's to be a replacement for a watch then it's just another digital watch. if it's a replacement for an ipod then I can see, as that has also been taken over by the phone, it possibly being useful. Bluetooth headphones maybe, which would help it's function as a phone, but would you then want to have a constant Bluetooth headset attached, or attach it every time you make a call?
    Would you want to hold your wrist to your ear so it functions a little closer to a typical phone?

As a health monitoring device for fitness folks I can see the benefit. No wifi or ability to make calls as it is without a phone, and the inherent issues even if it were to be able to, screen size and practicality of simply Web browsing, I just see this as an amazing bit of marketing from a company that does that extremely well with a product I see as jack of all trades and master of none.

it reminds me or that other device back in the 90s, a pager.

It is a road to something else, but I don't know what that is, if I did I would be sure to be the next billionaire. Buying stuff with it would be easy, then.

Maybe this is a very clever move to make mobile payments Apple only and every shop out there fitted out with an Apple payment device in order to do so.

It's late and I'm rambling. Main thing is I hope the OP enjoys it. I'm sure many will find a use for it.

I despise Facebook and the like but I think those that don't will probably enjoy the quick fire Facebook notifications and tweets and where your wife is currently due to a lack of trust in the relationship as she has countless male friends all giving her forearm a workout due to 'tennis lessons'.

I'm not bitter...

I am, really.

I'm not, but that was a reference to GTA 5 after seeing the affair story line and I thought it was apt...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    That is good to know. I was worried that the watch may not do anything useful.
    Yeah - that was why i said "fun". Its just the sort of attention to detail i would have thought anyone with an appreciation for watches and time keeping would have found amusing.
    Last edited by rasputin; 25th April 2015 at 05:39.

These smart watches are doomed to obsolescence already. Saw the Cicret holographic bracelet demo that projects your a smart phone onto your wrist, replacing the phone and smart watch in something like a FitBit bracelet. Game over.

https://youtu.be/9J7GpVQCfms

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    These smart watches are doomed to obsolescence already. Saw the Cicret holographic bracelet demo that projects your a smart phone onto your wrist, replacing the phone and smart watch in something like a FitBit bracelet. Game over.

Is that real, bedlam?
    Last edited by GrandS; 25th April 2015 at 06:38.

Banned
    I'm glad that you like it, but I won't be joining the queue to buy this or any other smart-watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjg01 View Post
    I don't completely agree but I think it's worth noting that with an apple watch you can expect maybe 3 years before it is completely obsolete Nd almost impossible to find anything that continues to work with it. At which point it will be useless and you'll have to upgrade.

With a "traditional" watch or even something like a gps or heart rate monitor you are still expecting to be able to make use of them as intended in 10+ years. Provided you haven't completely destroyed it.

At the moment I just don't see they bring enough to the table for the price and expected longevity. Maybe in a few more years of development and progress.
    This is true, but it's true of all current tech, phones, laptops tablets etc, I think people are getting hung up on the 'watch' name and comparing it too what we define as a watch, we all know a watch will last decades so this Apple watch is rubbish because it will only be functional for 5 years? You just upgrade, like everyone currently does their phone, tablet and other tech.... Why do you imagine this should be any different? Because they have called it a watch.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Is that real, bedlam?
    That is their concept of the final product. There is video on their website of the current prototype which is much more basic but appears to be working. Interesting technology if they can get it to a reasonable standard.

Blog Entries
    I might get one for the 'fun' perspective, not anytime soon though as there is no way in hot hell that I will pay more than £100 for one and even then it will have no chance of getting a space in my watch boxes.
    Last edited by KavKav; 25th April 2015 at 07:57.

Blog Entries
    Clarkson has wrote about it in his column in the sun this morning

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post

Wow, that could be fantastic, if they can refine that technology then I agree, that's where it's going. Surely that would satisfy both requirements of technology access on the wrist and traditional timekeeping by way of mechanical watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Keep it coming

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Clarkson has wrote about it in his column in the sun this morning
    That is a HUGE thumbs up for it then.

In fact this whole thread is. Great choice to distance yourself from the ignorami. Looks it too.

I don´t have a smart phone nor am I in any modern nor fast lane and my gfs can do as they please, so it is beyond my life choices but I sure líke it and the responses it provokes in the conservative Swiss watch extremists.

Here's my take on one aspect of how smart watches will function:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...52#post3471352

Congratulations on your new purchase OP, but mind if I ask if it has any water resistance at all? Tech gear has a reputation for being delicate if in contact with water and as this will be on a wrist and not a pocket/bag I wonder how it'll hold up if caught in the rain.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    That is a HUGE thumbs up for it then.

In fact this whole thread is. Great choice to distance yourself from the ignorami. Looks it too.

I don´t have a smart phone nor am I in any modern nor fast lane and my gfs can do as they please, so it is beyond my life choices but I sure líke it and the responses it provokes in the conservative Swiss watch extremists.

Nothing like a bit of, "I have a care free lifestyle, just loads of girlfriends and down with Swiss watch industry" drum banging to start off the weekend.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I I love mechanical watches because they are wonders of engineering, and won't, for me, become supplanted by electronic circuitry and displays.
    Interesting. Like modern electronics are not GREATER wonders of engineering...

Banned
    Interesting. Like modern electronics are not GREATER wonders of engineering...
    What do you mean by this?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    Nothing like a bit of, "I have a care free lifestyle, just loads of girlfriends and down with Swiss watch industry" drum banging to start off the weekend.
    ...and boy does it bug you. Ah well, you have your ´Simpère goods´.

Enjoy your weekend Howdy Sir.

Btw the start was yesterday afternoon

Banned
    ...and boy does it bug you. Ah well, you have your ´Simpère goods´.

Enjoy your weekend Howdy Sir.

Btw the start was yesterday afternoon
    Not in the slightest, I'm more than happy with my life, but I do question what drives you to repeatedly tell people on a watch forum just how wonderful yours is, as I rather suspect that it's not quite as you describe it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    What do you mean by this?
    Thanks for that one; could not have illustrated the issue better myself

Anyway, I will leave you at it. I am going to pull a cremoso and while the machine gets up to steam try find my trusty Nokia. It probably slid under a car seat when we were drifting homewards last night.
    If I can´t find it, I will use the land line to call a gf to call the mobile. Or just leave it. The worst thing happening is that I am not on call when out of the house...

Where as I don't have a problem with smart watches per se... I just feel I spend enough of my life on my phone or laptop or desktop or ipad... last thing i need is ANOTHER device to stare at and become further disengaged with 'real life'. I don't want my alerts coming to my wrist.

Plus, being a lover of watches and horology, I want to use that wrist space for something with a bit more class and interest.

So no, I just can't see myself getting involved in this.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by coldors View Post
    Plus, being a lover of watches and horology, I want to use that wrist space for something with a bit more class and interest.

Banned
    Thanks for that one; could not have illustrated the issue better myself

Anyway, I will leave you at it. I am going to pull a cremoso and while the machine gets up to steam try find my trusty Nokia. It probably slid under a car seat when we were drifting homewards last night.
    If I can´t find it, I will use the land line to call a gf to call the mobile. Or just leave it. The worst thing happening is that I am not on call when out of the house...
    Ah, so like most of your general rantings there was no point being made and once asked to clarify you reply with even more garbled crap, but hey ho some things never change.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    I'll get a smart watch when I can use it remotely from the phone for sports, pub, walking etc. When I say remote I mean leave the phone at home, not 2ft from from the watch. I just don't see the point otherwise.
    This is the point where they become useful. A replacement for a phone, not just a second screen.

Master
    First owner to flip theirs on SC is going to get some stick!

Grand Master
    I'd find something else to beat them with, to be frank ;). Despite the extreme expense, it's a nice little gadget, this, confirmatory for those aligned to the Apple brand and instrumental in ensuring they stay loyal to it. However, for those who think there are enough screens and nugatory electronic crap invading daily life every day (constant status updates on Farcebook at dinner FTW!), that's all it is.

Perhaps there should be a social rule. (Are those even allowed any more?) People who stare at their watch during conversation - if people still do conversations any more! - usually get short shrift from their conversation partner anyway. Anyone who twits, or facebooks whilst speaking to someone as they can't stop fiddling with their gadget, instantly stop talking to them and walk off. They've obviously got better things to do.

Personally I'd be worried about this, but I'm not sure too many others are. More gadgets, please! :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ns-expert.html
    Last edited by andrew; 25th April 2015 at 10:46.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    I can't wait until Bremont bring out a smart watch and someone here buys it! It'll probably be made from bits of the original Apple watch.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    This is the point where they become useful. A replacement for a phone, not just a second screen.
    In a way they áre a ´replacement´.
    The two I bought upon Eddie´s heads up were to allow the recipients to leave their phone in the handbag.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    Let's hope hes's not selling a 'prototype'

Banned
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Willow986 View Post
    I love tech and a bit of fun, but I worry that I would get bored with my new watch and it would quickly find it's way into SC. Something that never happens with a traditional watch!
    Quite; no Swiss mech tech flippers at all here

There seems to be an interesting correlation. There seems to be a theme in Bremont/smart watch slagging and the above:

The greater the need to be able to flip main stream branded Swiss mech tech at good money, the more violent the slagging?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Got it

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    I'd find something else to beat them with, to be frank ;).

Grand Master
    A friend has the Samsung watch and the only thing I did like was the sharpness of the analogue watch.
    Personally I don't think I'd ever use a smart watch other than for timekeeping tbh,the other functions would be obselete,I'd use my iPad for all those other hard to see and manipulate apps.

If anything it may have the younger people looking at buying a proper watch once they get used to a smart watch on their wrist again.

I yield to no man in my Applephilia, which goes back nearly thirty years, but I remain unconvinced by this one.

Steve Jobs always pitched a new product with a very clear message about which problem it solves. I'm still struggling to discern which problem this one solves. Indeed, it seems to create new ones for those who wear a traditional watch — the need to carry yet another bloody charger, no water resistance, etc — for rather little added value over a smartphone in your pocket.

Jony Ive's take on it is an interesting one. Apple designed the iPhone because they hated the terrible "smartphones" we were all stuck with prior to 2007. They knew they more than anyone else could make something far better. But Ive also cheerfully admits to loving the best of traditional watches, and is a collector of mechanicals himself. They're not trying to "fix" a broken segment, nor compete head-on with the brands we know and love. So what are they doing?

Maybe these questions will be answered by Apple Watch 2, probably based on what customers and third party developers do with it. Apple, for the first time in a generation, genuinely doesn't seem to know.
    Last edited by Seamaster73; 25th April 2015 at 11:29.

Totally agree. I'll still probably end up getting one though. I think these will sell like crazy for Christmas. Saying that - unless they find a killer app there is no long term future for this type of product.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Saying that - unless they find a killer app there is no long term future for this type of product.
    Why?

It is a cool looking watch and it can keep time stand alone: Being a cool looking watch seems to be reason enough to make blokes pay indecent amounts of money. Heck it is even cool branded!
    So it already has thé app it needs; telling time under a cool brand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by coldors View Post
    Where as I don't have a problem with smart watches per se... I just feel I spend enough of my life on my phone or laptop or desktop or ipad... last thing i need is ANOTHER device to stare at and become further disengaged with 'real life'. I don't want my alerts coming to my wrist.

So no, I just can't see myself getting involved in this.
    My sentiments entirely , love my tech and often been an "early adopter" but a smart watch would never replace / adorn my wrist. Aesthetically unappealing to my eyes and this is what entices me to feed my watch habit.

Why?

It is a cool looking watch and it can keep time stand alone: Being a cool looking watch seems to be reason enough to make blokes pay indecent amounts of money. Heck it is even cool branded!
    So it already has thé app it needs; telling time under a cool brand.
    I know you're taking the mickey 'cilla but leaving that aside, the apple watch is just an awful *watch*. You have to raise your wrist before the screen turns, you have to charge it every night, it is not waterproof and won't cope well in extreme temperatures.

At the moment it is a fun gadget and a barely functioning watch.

I think the Apple watch looks good and it'll be a million miles ahead of any current Android offering or the HD3.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Steve Jobs always pitched a new product with a very clear message about which problem it solves. I'm still struggling to discern which problem this one solves.
    Not sure Apple have solved any problems, at best merely repackaged an existing item and made it more accessible.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I know you're taking the mickey 'cilla .
    Well, I am not.
    I have heard a whole lót of positive responses from especially women stating ´now thát is a watch I líke´ and I too think it looks way better than many a haloed one.
    This it does at a price not at all bad in the light of a reputable branded watch basically making all else just extra.