closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch arrived this morning!

Cool Apple Watch arrived this morning!

And I have to say I'm really enjoying it so far!

Mark my words, this and other smartwatches in the pipeline are going to cause massive changes to the watch industry as we know it and love it today. Put very simply, the more useful these things get in our daily lives over time, the less wrist time for traditional watches.

Call me crazy, but I reiterate a prediction I made earlier: we will see a Rolex smartwatch variant (perhaps starting with a Tudor to test the waters first) within the next 5 years
    Last edited by jayleb; 25th April 2015 at 16:45.

Quote Originally Posted by jayleb View Post

Call me crazy, but I reiterate a prediction I made earlier: we will see a Rolex smartwatch variant (perhaps starting with a Tudor to test the waters first) within the next 5 years
    I bet we don't.

Master
    does it "tell the time"

I think it is great what these watches can do.
    However, it wins no prizes for good looks on the wrist
    I am sure that as each new version comes along (every 9-12 months knowing Apple) it will become more aesthetically pleasing.

I've noticed via apps updating on my iPad/Phone the varied functionality being added to this device. For example it is possible to put an iPhone on a support, perhaps a Gorillapod or something similar, and use the watch as a remote shutter release for a much sharper picture. It's not for me, but a lot of users will find a lot of practical uses for the device. I don't think the market sector that folk like us inhabit will be affected, but a lot of people who don't wear watches may well start doing so.
    F.T.F.A.

eventually it'll just be a chip inserted in the rectum and these things will be obsolete.

Master
    Is that the 42mm version?
    Looks nice. Congrats!

Master
    Liking that- saving towards a Sport later in the year.

Any chance of a deeper review?

Master
    I think these are fun - congrats on being one of the first!

Looking forwards to seeing more pics and reviews etc.

My concern over buying one would be new models coming out every year and making the £££ spent on the old one feel more painful!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    eventually it'll just be a chip inserted in the rectum and these things will be obsolete.
    Cool, bend over and project the time on the nearest wall.

£850 for the Apple watch and strap Combo I'd want

No thanks, plus the battery doesn't even last 24 hours

It's disposable crap, not something I'd derive much pleasure from owning

Has the battery run out yet..?

I saw these on display (behind glass) at my local apple store yesterday and I have to say I thought they looked a lot better and in particular slimmer and more watch-like than I expected. I'm not in the market for one as I ditched apple as 'over-priced and not better than android' a couple of years ago, but what amazed me was how many youngsters/20 something's were in the store and not 1 showed any interest in the watch display for the 15 minutes I was wandering about. Very odd, enjoy your new gadget!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    £850 for the Apple watch and strap Combo I'd want

No thanks, plus the battery doesn't even last 24 hours

It's disposable crap, not something I'd derive much pleasure from owning
    I don't completely agree but I think it's worth noting that with an apple watch you can expect maybe 3 years before it is completely obsolete Nd almost impossible to find anything that continues to work with it. At which point it will be useless and you'll have to upgrade.

With a "traditional" watch or even something like a gps or heart rate monitor you are still expecting to be able to make use of them as intended in 10+ years. Provided you haven't completely destroyed it.

At the moment I just don't see they bring enough to the table for the price and expected longevity. Maybe in a few more years of development and progress.

Journeyman
    Can you watch HD films on it

Is there a Bell&Ross dial available to complete the look?

Quote Originally Posted by hobbsy View Post
    Can you watch HD films on it
    Yes but if they're special interest films you need to keep your wrist steady.

Very nice, congratulations, the mesh looks great.

Master
    Snap!

Stef

I'm quite jealous actually, I was too late to try and order so missed delivery for today. Think I will just wait for them coming in store now. Although my partner has one in 38mm that I will try out later.

These really do look better than the pictures suggest I think.

Congratulations!

At the moment, I can't see myself wearing a smart watch instead of a traditional mechanical watch. However, I might be tempted to buy a montblanc e-strap (just the module, not the watch).

I'm sure that I'll eventually end up with a smartwatch. I'm not so sure that it'll be any of the current batch but they sure looks tempting.

/geek

You can even DJ from it: http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/84...ch-app-release (thereby combining my two main interests of music and watches). I'm not buying one though. I've been seriously disappointed by the diminishing quality of many Apple products in recent years. A far cry from the high quality computers I used in the late 90s and early 2000s. But still typing this on a MacBook Pro albeit with a lovely Cinema screen from around 2006 to stare at!

That's the version I liked most when I tried it in the Apple Store. It wore much better than I imagined and I was very impressed with the Milanese strap. Congratulations.

Master
    The build quality is excellent to be honest and I'm really surprised how light it is, especially seeing how heavy the box was when TNT delivered it!

Was impressed with their standard delivery too, mine came from Sydney to Perth for delivery on release day, about 2,500 miles I guess, with no additional delivery cost.

Stef

Quote Originally Posted by henrik View Post
    I'm sure that I'll eventually end up with a smartwatch. I'm not so sure that it'll be any of the current batch but they sure looks tempting.

/geek
    I'm sure most of us will end up with a smart watch, not today for me but 3-5-10 years from now, I'm definitely not going to say never.

@ Jayleb - that does look like a very nice combination. Congratulations.

Currently I'm in the fogey camp of not needing or wanting one but I said that about tablets, I have a couple.
    If I do eventually get a smart watch though, it won't be an Apple, I understand but don't like their instance that my data and content is controlled their way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Jaylab - out of interest, can it be used OK upside-down? As a "right wrist wearers" I'd want the button on the left really. Not all iPhone apps support 180° rotation for some reason.

Enjoy using it and ignore the naysayers!

Craftsman
    Do you notice any physiological or mental effects of having the "electronics" WiFi, Bluetooth connected directly to your wrist?

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Currently I'm in the fogey camp of not needing or wanting one........, I understand but don't like their instance that my data and content is controlled their way.
    I'm with you on two of those points.
    add to that Apple's insistence on propriety connectors, when mini/micro works well enough for everyone else or the dumb smaller sims with every iphone iteration (I inherited an iphone5, and its been shoved in a drawer since i really can't be bothered to get yet another sim, and invest in another sim adapter so i can use my waterproof phone when camping, but that's a different story/rant :)

I'm glad the OP is happy with it,
    It is nice enought too look with its neo-retro aesthetics.

I'd be interested how the apple watches fairs in the long term as a day to day watch, real world battery life, actual usability and if it proves to be a decent daily wearer, or is just a novelty?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiloStan View Post
    Congratulations!

At the moment, I can't see myself wearing a smart watch instead of a traditional mechanical watch. However, I might be tempted to buy a montblanc e-strap (just the module, not the watch).
    me too.
    €350 is an interesting price point, would like to see what it looks like on a speedmaster.

Master
    I think it probably makes sense to have a 'smart' watch specific forum.

Discuss.

Craftsman
    I think these watches are clever little devices but I will always wear a traditional wrist watch. I imagine my kids will want one in the future though!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Smart looking watch

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    I think it probably makes sense to have a 'smart' watch specific forum.

Discuss.
    ...and while we are at it a Rolex one because those guys live in their own bubble.

No, seriously; it is part of the multi-facetted wonderfull world of watches. If it all needs to be segrated it becomes wonderdull.

To the OS; congratulations. I think it looks totally smart. It is a good looking watch. Just has the wrong tech inside for the conservative faction. Tant pis for thém.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    ...and while we are at it a Rolex one because those guys live in their own bubble.

No, seriously; it is part of the multi-facetted wonderfull world of watches. If it all needs to be segrated it becomes wonderdull.

To the OS; congratulations. I think it looks totally smart. It is a good looking watch. Just has the wrong tech inside for the conservative faction. Tant pis for thém.
    Fair point - but BMW get their own forum...

To be honest, while everyone is entitled to their opinion... my own is that this development (i.e. smartwatches) will not challenge but underpin the future sales of mechanical watches.

Its clear, although many here like to dispute the fact, the mechanical watch is purely a status driven luxury item... and this is exactly what a smartwatch says, albeit contrarily. The luxury brand makers have learned from the 80's "quartz débâcle". This time they won't be attempting to compete head-on for a practical daily wearer... they've wised up and staked out the high ground!!

-flugzeit
    Last edited by flugzeit; 24th April 2015 at 16:42.

Master
    mass produced watch made by some kids in a sweat shop. Not for me. Ill stick with Rolex I will never have a need for a smart watch.

Put very simply, the more useful these things get in our daily lives over time, the less wrist time for traditional watches.
    I'm in my early 40s and I can honestly say that I won't.

In fact, many people I know (my age) are trying to become less focused on their mobiles and intrusive technology, not become more tied to it.

I can see the self-obsessed, social media dependent, generations becoming entranced by wearable tech but I'm not convinced those of us who didn't grow up with a mobile phone grafted to our hand and glued to Fakebook will be so easily entranced.

Congrats OP, this isn't aimed at you, nor your acquisition but rather your comment regarding the move away from 'traditional watches'.

Maybe the generation below us will start to think Logan's Run isn't a bad idea...
    Last edited by AM94; 24th April 2015 at 16:51. Reason: Qualification

Being an iPad and iPhone owner I was very tempted by the Apple watch, but not convinced. Battery life is my key concern but I do wonder whether I'd wear another watch once I got used to all that functionality on my wrist.... and I do like wearing other watches.

I'll be (genuinely) interested to see follow-up posts from owners a month or so down the line to see what it's like to live with and whether it changes their wearing habits.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceslug View Post
    Being an iPad and iPhone owner I was very tempted by the Apple watch, but not convinced. Battery life is my key concern but I do wonder whether I'd wear another watch once I got used to all that functionality on my wrist.... and I do like wearing other watches.

I'll be (genuinely) interested to see follow-up posts from owners a month or so down the line to see what it's like to live with and whether it changes their wearing habits.
    Me too. I'm not really into gadgets but love my iPhone and iPad and am considering the iWatch but it is the reality of plugging it in every day that puts me off. Look forward to 'a week with iWatch . . . The reality'!!

I really like them though and my congrats to those who have one and, of course, the OP.

Rob

Master
    I'll get a smart watch when I can use it remotely from the phone for sports, pub, walking etc. When I say remote I mean leave the phone at home, not 2ft from from the watch. I just don't see the point otherwise.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post

This is as much of a "watch" as an Iphone. Yes it tells the time, but it is not the primary function. It only resembles a watch in shape and position, but that's it. It won't replace mechanical watches as they serve a different function (traditional watches being more akin to jewellery).

Blog Entries
    I'm sure these things will sell in heaps and I'm a big Apple fan, but I just don't this Apple watch thing!!!.

Master
    meh and worst of all you need an iPhone also if I'm not mistaken for full functionality? I just dun understand why it had to be a "watch".

I'm completely ambivalent about this. I love mechanical watches because they are wonders of engineering, and won't, for me, become supplanted by electronic circuitry and displays.

And I can't help but feel that apart from the watch having a short battery life itself, it will also drain the phone battery faster. It would be interesting to hear the experiences of the early-adopters.

Craftsman
    I love tech and a bit of fun, but I worry that I would get bored with my new watch and it would quickly find it's way into SC. Something that never happens with a traditional watch!

I'm just wondering, is the Mickey watch face supposed to be a tribute to the Mickey Rolex or the Mickey Genta?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    And I can't help but feel that apart from the watch having a short battery life itself, it will also drain the phone battery faster. It would be interesting to hear the experiences of the early-adopters.
    I think the iPhone 6, 6+ and apple watch are all Bluetooth 4.0 which is low power consumption. The iPhone 6+ battery is large capacity too - I leave mine on permanently. I don't see it being too much of a problem.

Master
    Mine arrived this morning too. I went for the Sports model, which comes in a different box (long and thin). In fact as someone pointed out elsewhere it's 90% packaging, 10% watch. Pretty crazy the amount of wastage with their packing on this one.

I've used it all day. It's... it's ok. No different to any of the other smart watches I've had previously (and I have had a Pebble, Sony Smartwatch 3, and an MS Band). All much of a muchness. Glad I went with the cheapest one really. Don't think having s/steel and sapphire would have done much for me in this instance.

Will see if I can last a week without going back to my Sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Tapp View Post
    Snap!

Stef
    Fun fact: The Apple watch synchronises time using network time protocol. If you put five Apple watches side-by-side you'll see all five Mickey Mouses animate and tap their feet exactly in synch.