closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega discount on the hight street

Master
    Exiled in the Land that time forgot - Yorkshire

Omega discount on the hight street

Morning gents

Raking over old coals I know, but need some advice here. A good friend's Dad died a few weeks ago & she's thinking with some of the money she's inherited, buying an Omega. Now I've seen the odd post on here saying what sort of percent if she walks into Beaverbrooks etc, so what sort of discount should she be gunning for.

FWIW, She'll be buying in Leeds.

Thanks for any advice

Adam

Master
    I got 15% off my PO at Fraser Hart in Plymouth.

Master
    She will get at least 10% from the boutique in Leeds, they offered me this when I tried a watch on the other week. I reckon she could push for 15-20% though as this was offered without really trying.

Craftsman
    I would be aiming for 15-20% otherwise I'd head to Iconic.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    She will get at least 10% from the boutique in Leeds, they offered me this when I tried a watch on the other week. I reckon she could push for 15-20% though as this was offered without really trying.
    how come you got discount at the boutique? In any in London they have policy of no discount :(. Sales assistant told me they were not allowed to discount at all.
    I would prefer buying from them and have a nice experience but i am not going to pay retail for a watch that looses 30% of the price when i walk out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    how come you got discount at the boutique? In any in London they have policy of no discount :(. Sales assistant told me they were not allowed to discount at all.
    Ditto, thought boutiques were refuseniks on this.

They're not in Leeds but I would recommend talking / mailing Aziza at Banks Lyon for all things Omega.

Journeyman
    Either way, you can advise to do below. Worked pretty well for me and my wife.
    1. Boutique to try on watches and decide on a model.
    2. Checking various online dealers who can supply watch with warranty.
    3. Ask Iconic about final price and decide where to buy :).

If you are experienced, head to chrono and buy from Italy by yourself :)

Craftsman
    Berrys are usually open to a bit of haggling. I wouldn't want to estimate what sort of percentage she might get though, I'm sure the model and cost of the watch will have a bearing.

And if they've had a bad sales month they may be even more flexible...

Master
    Likewise in the Glasgow Omega boutique, zero discount.

Went to Berry's round the corner and was offered (if memory serves) 15% discount. Tried to do the decent thing and went back to the boutique to give them a chance to match the discount, as I had gone there first but they wouldn't shift from their no discount policy.

Needles to say, it was Berry's that got the sale.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post

Went to Berry's round the corner and was offered (if memory serves) 15% discount. Tried to do the decent thing and went back to the boutique to give them a chance to match the discount, as I had gone there first but they wouldn't shift from their no discount policy.

They dont discount at boutique as they have high turnover and huge sales :D I wonder how they manage to pay the rent and salaries to all staff.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    I would prefer buying from them and have a nice experience but i am not going to pay retail for a watch that looses 30% of the price when i walk out.
    I didn't buy but a discount was offered in Leeds.

Banned

There's a Berrys in Glasgow? It did not know that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    There's a Berrys in Glasgow? It did not know that.

There was when I bought the watch and they had it transferred from another branch but its no longer there. It was next door to WoS secondhand shop in the Argyle Arcade but that's no longer there either.

Banned
    There was when I bought the watch and they had it transferred from another branch but its no longer there. It was next door to WoS secondhand shop in the Argyle Arcade but that's no longer there either.
    Ok thanks

I managed 20% off a ladies AT at an AD.

Apprentice
    I purchased a PO over the weekend with a 22.5% discount from an Omega boutique.

Grand Master
    A bit of a long shot, but it might make sense to buy overseas if you're having a holiday. I was in Gran Canaria recently and couldn`t resist going in the Omega shop. I was offered a 15% discount with very little effort on my part against a list price that was significantly below UK prices owing to the weak Euro and the low taxes. There's a small matter of bringing the watch through Customs if it's being bought outside the EU..........that's between the individual and his conscience........but there's clearly some scope for getting an exceptionally good deal. I`m sure the sellers in the Canary Islands could get a specific watch in advance to coincide with a holiday, and I`d be v. tempted to do this if I was in the market for a new watch....and a holiday!

Failing that, I`d recommend buying in July and haggling v. hard for discount. July's a slack time for watch sales. The Omega AD in Halifax and Ilkley (Lister Horsfall) has been known to give good discounts and they're pleasant to deal with too.

good luck!

Paul

Last week I was offered 20% off a Speedy pro in a well known AD (basic hesalite - 311.30.42.30.01.005) if it was to be ordered in and I had to pay up front.

The discount could be extended to 25% if I ordered something more 'up' the Speedmaster model scale like a co-ax auto (331.10.42.51.01.001) or a sapphire sambo moonphase (3576.50.00).

I suspect this is due to the strength of sterling just now. I actually reckon I could have pushed for a few pound more.

Quote Originally Posted by Remedy02 View Post
    I purchased a PO over the weekend with a 22.5% discount from an Omega boutique.
    Which one? The Omega boutiques are well known to not provide discount.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Last week I was offered 20% off a Speedy pro in a well known AD.
    Actually, very good discount you don't always get that in a sale, the recent fire sale at George Banks was only 30% and they were looking to clear their stocks.

Apprentice
    I'm not sure if it counts as a boutique but the one in St Ann's Square part of the Ernest Jones shop.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A bit of a long shot, but it might make sense to buy overseas if you're having a holiday. I was in Gran Canaria recently and couldn`t resist going in the Omega shop. I was offered a 15% discount with very little effort on my part against a list price that was significantly below UK prices owing to the weak Euro and the low taxes. There's a small matter of bringing the watch through Customs if it's being bought outside the EU..........that's between the individual and his conscience........but there's clearly some scope for getting an exceptionally good deal. I`m sure the sellers in the Canary Islands could get a specific watch in advance to coincide with a holiday, and I`d be v. tempted to do this if I was in the market for a new watch....and a holiday!

Failing that, I`d recommend buying in July and haggling v. hard for discount. July's a slack time for watch sales. The Omega AD in Halifax and Ilkley (Lister Horsfall) has been known to give good discounts and they're pleasant to deal with too.

good luck!

Paul
    Where do you find the AD's in the canaries? I'm going to Lanzarote soon but I can't find any details of a dealer there on Omega's website

Quote Originally Posted by matt666 View Post
    Where do you find the AD's in the canaries? I'm going to Lanzarote soon but I can't find any details of a dealer there on Omega's website
    I had a look at the Omega App and they list two locations in the canaries for Omega, if you get the App you can check the map as well and see exactly where they are located.

Journeyman
    When I bought my SMP in 2000 I was given the shop catalogue to browse as they didn't have a huge number in the shop at the time. The assistant also passed me the price list but by mistake gave me the trade list price with the rrp to the side. It certainly gave me a bit more bargaining power knowing they were marked up at 100%.

15 years later it could be a much smaller mark up.

Grand Master
    http://www.omegawatches.com/stores/s...ap?locate_me=1

3 shops in Lanzarote. If you're serious about buying, contact them and try to make a deal.

Paul

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigan bear View Post
    When I bought my SMP in 2000 I was given the shop catalogue to browse as they didn't have a huge number in the shop at the time. The assistant also passed me the price list but by mistake gave me the trade list price with the rrp to the side. It certainly gave me a bit more bargaining power knowing they were marked up at 100%.

15 years later it could be a much smaller mark up.
    List price in 2000, £900 or so? Of which £140 VAT, so 100% mark-up implies wholesale price of £380. At £2,800 RRP today, fairly sure the mark-up is still quite stiff!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    http://www.omegawatches.com/stores/s...ap?locate_me=1

3 shops in Lanzarote. If you're serious about buying, contact them and try to make a deal.

Paul
    Apologies for being thick - I can see three in Fuerteventura but none in Lanzarote. Not a problem if there aren't any, there's a ferry that goes regularly.

Grand Master
    Apologies for being thick - I can see three in Fuerteventura but none in Lanzarote. Not a problem if there aren't any, there's a ferry that goes regularly.
    my mistake, misread the map, didn't look carefully enough! I'm surprised there's no AD in Puerto del Carmen, there was when I last visited a few years ago.

paul