closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: MB2 Back from the spa

MB2 Back from the spa

An update to my previous thread where I thought I'd have a peep inside my 5 year old MBII before I sent it off for a service.

Arrived back today, with a bagful of the original parts that were replaced as part of the standard service, and a new leather strap (which I requested)

strap didn't stay on long, i'm not so keen of the new padded strap style, so off with the leather, and on with the overpriced nylon ;0

Master
    Hope this isn't a daft question, but why would they need to replace the date and day wheel on a 5 year old watch?
    Thought that wouldn't be necessary until a much later service.
    Anyhow, good pictures and impressive watch, for sure.

Craftsman
    Do you mind me asking how much the service was? And was it sent for service to correct an issue or just for a check up?

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Hope this isn't a daft question, but why would they need to replace the date and day wheel on a 5 year old watch?
    Thought that wouldn't be necessary until a much later service.
    Anyhow, good pictures and impressive watch, for sure.

Not that daft, i was wondering about that myself.
    I had a look at both the day and date wheel under a loupe and there's no damage, teeth are intact etc.

The only part i could see any wear on, was on one of the winding gears. Still its a bag of bits for the collection of random parts.

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Do you mind me asking how much the service was? And was it sent for service to correct an issue or just for a check up?
    £380 (and an optional £80 for the strap).
    I sent it in for a full service,
    No reason other than prevention is better than cure, since its been dropped, scrapped & knocked about, afterall its advertised as anti-shock :p
    Last edited by endo; 23rd April 2015 at 21:54.

Thanks for showing, interested to know they have returned the old parts to you. Nice momentoes to have. I might have asked for a different barely colour to give it a fresh look.

Quote Originally Posted by Afhgus View Post
    I might have asked for a different barely colour to give it a fresh look.
    I've had a few ideas for the spare barrel ;)
    A friend has suggested, I loan it to him so he can use it as a template to make me a solid bronze or copper barrel.
    Alternatively, I know a guy that runs a tuning shop that can have the old barrel re-anodised in a fun color like purple :)
    Or cerakote in FDE?

so which parts were replaced? your picture shows your watch next to a case. Did they replace that too for £380?

Just read your linked thread - so if you can source a dial, and can get hold of an ETA movement you could have 2 MB watches by recycling the old case!

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    so which parts were replaced? your picture shows your watch next to a case. Did they replace that too for £380?
    The bits they replaced are, a bunch o'gears and other movement parts, day/date wheels, crystal, crystal seal, upper case, barrel.

Upper case & barrel change (incl. color change if requested) are replaced as part of the (£380) service cost

Of course you can request them not to touch the case when I spoke to Bremont CS last year, they understand some people prefer to leave the case untouched.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    Just read your linked thread - so if you can source a dial, and can get hold of an ETA movement you could have 2 MB watches by recycling the old case!
    That thought crossed my mind, infact I was surprised they returned the original upper case after service for precisely that reason.

Seiko mod might be more fun :D
    Last edited by endo; 23rd April 2015 at 22:58.

I do like the MB2 a lot, nice pictures too.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    A friend has suggested, I loan it to him so he can use it as a template to make me a solid bronze or copper barrel.
    Alternatively, I know a guy that runs a tuning shop that can have the old barrel re-anodised in a fun color like purple :)
    Or cerakote in FDE?
    Cerakote definitely as be different to a hard anodised finish and you can get anodising done almost anywhere

I cant argue that its a handsome watch and the service cost seems very reasonable, but I cant get the story of Triggers broom out of my mind.

Master
    Come time for it's next service and it'll be more like Triggers Broom.

Or cerakote in FDE?
    That's interesting. Would he be interested in doing other, for a fee of course. When I get my MB serviced and fit a new barrel I was thinking about doing something different to the old one, black and yellow for example.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Cerakote definitely as be different to a hard anodised finish and you can get anodising done almost anywhere
    Opens up the door to a larger range of colours too, and fairly cheap (£10-15 ish)
    Hard part would be deciding what color to go?

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    That's interesting. Would he be interested in doing other, for a fee of course.
    Anodizing guy?
    I'll have to check with him still, last time it we spoke it was about anodizing some billet aluminium parts that i had machined that we were talking about putting into limited production. I'll have to find out what it would be for a barrel, which would be a one off/small piece.

I'm temped to order an anodizing kit and do a bit of diy experimenting on some scrap sheet aluminium i have :)

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I cant argue that its a handsome watch and the service cost seems very reasonable, but I cant get the story of Triggers broom out of my mind.
    Had to remind myself, thought I'd share the reference. Classic.

Master
    The bits they replaced are, a bunch o'gears and other movement parts, day/date wheels, crystal, crystal seal, upper case, barrel.

Upper case & barrel change (incl. color change if requested) are replaced as part of the (£380) service cost
    I am surprised at this much work and cost to service the watch for what seems a reasonable price, but if the case can't be refinished it's the only way of tidying up the watch I guess. I think I paid about £120 or so just for a barrel change, which in itself seemed reasonable in these days of increasing service costs. I really liked my MBII, thinking back, only niggling me as the standard strap didn't seem to hug my wrist very well and as an occasional wearer I grew tired of setting the day and date. Small niggles really. I wouldn't say no to another...

Ant

Thanks for posting this and your first 'before the spa' thread, very interesting. Service costs seem quite reasonable given the amount of work and new parts.

Grand Master
    I can't see why they'd replace the barrel. the upper case, maybe, if it was badly scuffed and it was cheaper/easier to replace than refinish it (although if it's hardened you wouldn't necessarily expect it to be trashed).

Before anyone gets excited at the idea of a two-for-one, typically you'd need this to make a second Bremont out of a spare upper case/barrel and a generic ETA 2836 costing around £200 these days:

Internal bezel mechanism
    Crystal/gasket (if not replaced)
    Crowns and stems
    Inner case/movement retaining ring
    Shock protection mount
    Dial and hand set
    Inner bezel ring
    Caseback
    Various screws and case/crown gaskets

Might be tricky given there's only one place this can all come from, and it's not Cousins ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!