closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: J S Watch Co Iceland

Master

J S Watch Co Iceland

I am off to Reykjavik at the weekend and in doing my homework have noticed that Iceland has its own home grown watchmaker. Has anyone any thoughts or insights into what is worth a look at if I take a visit to the shop?

See: http://www.jswatch.com

Cheers

Master
    I'm sure I saw a thread about the brand on here somewhere a while back.
    In the mean time enjoy Iceland, the nicest place I've ever been.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Yes...they are very well made and finished watches and the shop,is definitely worth a visit.

Not a generally well known or common watch,even in the WIS community so you are unlikely to come across them that often I. General day to day life.

I have an Islandus (I know...its slightly out of focus...)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I am off to Reykjavik at the weekend and in doing my homework have noticed that Iceland has its own home grown watchmaker. Has anyone any thoughts or insights into what is worth a look at if I take a visit to the shop?

See: http://www.jswatch.com

Cheers
    Absolutely, have a look by all means. I hope you enjoy your trip to Iceland. Try the shark if you can, there is nothing like it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A1karl

Master
    Blog Entries
    If come across the SIF N.A.R.T watch on a couple of blogs. Looks a well built watch although strange to see a 1000M diver with no bezel.

Banned

Master
    Thanks for the replies. I am guessing the movements he uses are off the shelf ETA stuff but that picture above shows that he certainly adds a lot of decoration. The Sif Nart does look good, in a kind of DA36/ aviator watch style.

I may skip the shark!

Top grade ETA with a lot of decoration...you can have the rotor engraved with,for example,your name and d.o.b

Master
    That must make for a tricky sale when you decide to flip it!

I am sorely tempted by the Friesland, Islandus (which look pretty similar to me) and the SIF Nart and one or other may well end up on my wrist.

I really like some of those designs....especially the Frisland 42mm
    any idea how much they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I really like some of those designs....especially the Frisland 42mm
    any idea how much they cost?
    If you email them they will send you a complete price list.

Im not sure what the 44mm Islandus goes for now...I believe they price in $ now,or at least link the Krona to the $ since the financial crash in 2008. The Islandus ,just before the Krona almost halved in value,was the equivalent of around 2K.

Craftsman
    My favorite micro brand. They haven't rested on their laurels either, each model has received subtle updates to either dial case or hands over the years not to improve quality (which is excellent) but just to get the look down to a T.

(prices in krona here are no longer relative - taken during economic recovery)

Master
    Looking at that website, their marketing photos are curiously unevolved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    My favorite micro brand. They haven't rested on their laurels either, each model has received subtle updates to either dial case or hands over the years not to improve quality (which is excellent) but just to get the look down to a T.

I assume this one is yours Grandsire? Crazy dial! What's going on there?

Master
    Aha! Edit;

displays a splendid face, made of ash from the volcano Eyjafjallajökull

From the website.

Craftsman
    Some nice looking classic watches from a source I would not have considered to be on the watch making map. Will have to investigate further.

Master
    I now have their current pricelist - a Frisland classic (for example) including import duty will work out at roughly £2000. I'm starting to get seriously tempted - well, as soon as I know that the current house move is put to bed anyway!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I now have their current pricelist - a Frisland classic (for example) including import duty will work out at roughly £2000. I'm starting to get seriously tempted - well, as soon as I know that the current house move is put to bed anyway!
    Just wondered whether the price list arrived by post or e-mail? Thanks.

Master
    By email very quickly. If anyone is curious but doesn't want to bother them pm me and I'll send it to you.

There are some winning designs in their range and the Soprod A10 movements should be reliable, as they're essentially a Seiko movement (i think!).
    With that said,I find it off putting when watch companies peddle their association with celebrities/footballer etc. All a bit too IWC for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    If come across the SIF N.A.R.T watch on a couple of blogs. Looks a well built watch although strange to see a 1000M diver with no bezel.
    Visited Gilbert's shop. Even though he is shut Sunday's I window shopped and noticed that the door was ajar. Turns out he was working on a repair (on a Sunday afternoon) and was happy to show me round. I shall cut to the chase. I now have a Sif on my wrist. Great watch, great guy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    If you were here in person I should think it would be more like £1400 -1500 as some of the duty is reclaimable

Banned
    Visited Gilbert's shop. Even though he is shut Sunday's I window shopped and noticed that the door was ajar. Turns out he was working on a repair (on a Sunday afternoon) and was happy to show me round. I shall cut to the chase. I now have a Sif on my wrist. Great watch, great guy!
    Congratulations, well done.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyWheels View Post
    There are some winning designs in their range and the Soprod A10 movements should be reliable, as they're essentially a Seiko movement (i think!).
    With that said,I find it off putting when watch companies peddle their association with celebrities/footballer etc. All a bit too IWC for me.
    There is a difference here with these brands. IWC chase the celebs and pay them for the most part but with JS the celebrities visit them and buy a watch like everyone else, it's free advertising if your allowed to take a picture so you would naturally. Having said that they may have given one to Tom Cruise via the oblivion film crew and probably the Dalai Larma.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Congratulations, well done.
    Need pics of the Sif when you return please!

Although I turned it down twice on previous visits (because I'd probably never wear anything but the SIF) it's the only grail I have left and would complete my holy trinity of JS. Holding out for a blue dial version though.

Master
    Will do. First impressions are very good indeed. Very high quality case and beads of rice type bracelet inc divers extension. Double tang clasp that could teach omega a thing or seven. Good lume. Also got j s branded rubber strap to with contrasting stitching.

Chunky but actually wears smaller than a 1000m case would lead you to expect. Sif is still top grade 2824 whereas the 101 is now soprod a10 by the way. I loved the blues hands 101, so slim and elegant but the Sif won me over.

Master
    Some admittedly poor photos, I just got off one plane and will soon get another. This is the Sif with optional red second hand and both mesh bracelet and rubber strap with red stitching. He also does white and orange if memory serves. The mesh photo is pre-sizing but it fits fine now.
    Last edited by Padders; 23rd July 2017 at 19:37.

Craftsman
    Will do. First impressions are very good indeed. Very high quality case and beads of rice type bracelet inc divers extension. Double tang clasp that could teach omega a thing or seven. Good lume. Also got j s branded rubber strap to with contrasting stitching.

Chunky but actually wears smaller than a 1000m case would lead you to expect. Sif is still top grade 2824 whereas the 101 is now soprod a10 by the way. I loved the blues hands 101, so slim and elegant but the Sif won me over.
    Yep my 101 (blue hands are usually special order) is Soprod which I acquired this January as are most JS now which means the cool Icelandic/english is now gone or on the way out on the 3 handers. The frisland bezel has also changed and is now lower in profile, they changed the dial on that too for the new movement - looks great with a new sunburst look.

The Sif is so nice. Love the Orange tipped hands, not so much a fan of the red seconds hand, it used to be steel with an orange tip also. I wish they would make it in a few more colours. Most other models come in at least two colours.

Congratulations on a mighty fine purchase. Hope it serves you well.
    Last edited by Grandsire; 30th April 2015 at 22:30. Reason: spelling

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandsire View Post
    Yep my 101 (blue hands are usually special order) is Soprod which I acquired this January as are most JS now which means the cool Icelandic/english is now gone or on the way out. The frisland bezel has also changed and is now lower in profile, they changed the dial on that too for the new movement - looks great with a new sunburst look.

The Sif is so nice. Love the Orange tipped hands, not so much a fan of the red seconds hand, it used to be steel with an orange tip also. I wish they would make it in a few more colours. Most other models come in at least two colours.

Congratulations on a mighty fine purchase. Hope it serves you well.
    I know what you mean about the second hand, I am not totally sure orange and red work on the same hand-set but that was the combo they had when I hit the shop. Given time, they will happily build one with a rhodium second hand as far as I know since the red hand is actually €25 extra on the price list.