closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedbird III mod

Craftsman

Speedbird III mod

did you see this PRS 22 watch offered for sale? The guy swapped the original hands for Omega dynamic hands in order to match the stronger intensity lume on the dial, according to him. He includes lume shots to prove his point. Watch was sold (quickly).
    http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showt...-Speedbird-III

want to see the pics but can't access through that link ...
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Oops. The link works but you need to be a member of the forum and sign in. I'll try to find a better link.

Craftsman
    Looks like he also posted the ad at WatchFreeks:
    http://www.watchfreeks.com/44-finish...dbird-iii.html

Journeyman
    The mod looks better that the original IMHO

Master
    Nice mod but I'll stick with the original.

Craftsman
    Love both. The mod just edges it. Very nice.

I don't like that at all, spoils the character of the watch. Why buy a watch if there are elements you don't like? Why not buy something else that is actually what you want? Also, the irony of Omega style hands on one of Eddie's watches, after the trouble they gave him!
    F.T.F.A.

I think the mod is a mistake. The watch was originally a homage to the IWC Mark XV... but in this modded form it adds up to nothing... not an interesting homage and just a generic 'flieger / board instrument' style watch.

-flugzeit
    Last edited by flugzeit; 23rd April 2015 at 09:46.

Craftsman
    The images won't load for me. Shame as I'd be interested to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by barryw View Post
    Nice mod but I'll stick with the original.
    Me too, I can't see the point of changing the hands. It looked great as it was.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here you go:

Original;

Mod;

Personally I prefer the original. The mod may work better with slightly 'fatter' hands IMO.

It transforms it into a sort of B-Uhr Type A dial hommage. (of course the dial of the B-Uhr would and does share a lot in common with the MkXV).

Which makes it into something which is a lot more common, and a lot less elegant (imho).

Better as it was

D

I like it and think it's a good mod but I still prefer the original.

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    I like it and think it's a good mod but I still prefer the original.
    Exactly this ^^

Nicely done and why not. I do like the IWC style hands of the original though, it's a flieger, not a diver.

Nope. One of the design elements I like about the original is the full length of the minute and seconds hands.

Doesn't work for me at all.

I have a certain bias as the SBIII is my all-time favourite watch, of the watches I've owned of course. So for me, original is best.

Quote Originally Posted by captain_hx View Post
    The mod looks better that the original IMHO
    sacrilege. burn the heretic

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Here you go:

Original;

Mod;

Personally I prefer the original. The mod may work better with slightly 'fatter' hands IMO.
    sign of a true wis. keeping your wrappers on the bracelet ^

Master
    Much better as it was originally. The modded one loses its character.

Craftsman
    He did the mod to increase the lume of the hands. Why not just have the original hands re-lumed?

I much prefer the original. The hands are part of the whole characteristic.

If you're going to do that to increase the lume, why not use the even fatter NABO hands?

The Speedbird has rightly garnered much praise on fora, in magazine and on-line reviews, for the reasons we all know TimeFactors' watches usually attract credit. I've come close on several occasions to dropping one into my shopping basket, as there's so much to like. But what holds me back is the truncated hour hand. I know it refers to IWC pilot watches and that changing it as the above mod does, breaks that link, yet I prefer the modded hands.

I'll get me coat.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    The Speedbird has rightly garnered much praise on fora, in magazine and on-line reviews, for the reasons we all know TimeFactors' watches usually attract credit. I've come close on several occasions to dropping one into my shopping basket, as there's so much to like. But what holds me back is the truncated hour hand. I know it refers to IWC pilot watches and that changing it as the above mod does, breaks that link, yet I prefer the modded hands.

I'll get me coat.
    i used to think the hour hand looked odd. that was just from looking at pictures on t'interweb. in the flesh though its completely a different thing. i think I'm on my third now.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I don't like that at all, spoils the character of the watch. Why buy a watch if there are elements you don't like? Why not buy something else that is actually what you want? Also, the irony of Omega style hands on one of Eddie's watches, after the trouble they gave him!
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    i used to think the hour hand looked odd. that was just from looking at pictures on t'interweb. in the flesh though its completely a different thing. i think I'm on my third now.
    It is an excellent point, watches can look very different in the hand, than on macro'ed shots, the Rolex engraved rehaut for instance. I know they've different heritage but the 29B does me grand for a Speedbird substitute.
    Last edited by dkpw; 23rd April 2015 at 17:14.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Agree 100%, apart from the third bit as I'm still on my first.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

my SB3 has more lume on the hands than on the dial... so... are the omega hands less luminous?

and oh, I like the long minute hand and how the short truncated hour hand sits just below the hour numbers. The mod is ok, but a bit boring for me.

oh no, I remember now!
    the minute hand is long but also thinner than the hour hand, so the lume appears less bright in the original version,
    however, it's just a matter of width of lume, the material is evenly bright,

or was that bout matching lume colour?

the hands being whiter than the yellowish dial?

Original is better. Seems a shame to mess about with such an elegant watch.

Craftsman
    Original for me too.

Master
    My take on this mod would be either keep it original OR go and buy a Hamilton Khaki and save yourself a few £££s.

Hmmm... prefer the original but I like his thinking.

Master
    I love the mod but then I also love the 98-00 Dynamic that the hands were pinched from. All he has to do now is mod the dial and case too and it will be perfect.

#Dons flame suit# Just a joke!

I know this is an old post but I just found this thread by chance, I had no idea there was a whole thread about my project...

As it has been mentioned the lume on the dial of the Speedbird is very bright, the hour hand is less and the minute hand even less than that. That means that during the night, one sees at first all of it, then the dial and hour hand and then only the dial lume... some don't care and some would get rid of the watch. I thought to handle not only this issue but also to handle another project involving an Hamilton Khaki... And yes, I too like the original Speedbird and would have wished the lume on the hands would match the one on the dial... but as it pans out, the lume of the Speedbird hands matches better the lume on the dial of the Hamilton...

Here is the result. And I know some agree and some don't... not a problem. To each their own... ;-) That's why we have many different watches... to make every one happy... :-)

Let's talk about that Hamilton for a moment.

Grand Master
    Both look nice but for me the hands, and specifically how close they seem to the dial, is one of the great points about a speedbird, so the original just edges it for me.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Master
    The original hands on the Speedbird are what makes the watch for me, I also own the khaki and the syringe hands make it special imo.

I'm a huge fan of both and have owned both so it's probably predictable that I say, well done for creating two great new looks, but I prefer both originals.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It is an excellent point, watches can look very different in the hand, than on macro'ed shots.
    Agree with that! I don't notice the truncated hour hand when worn and much prefer the original hands to the modded hands.
    He also says "the original hands have very week lume compared to the dial" IMHO the lume is uniform throughout, at least, it is on mine.