closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dealing with insurance companies after burglary...

Craftsman

Dealing with insurance companies after burglary...

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of dealing with 'loss adjusters' with specific focus on a watch stolen in a burglary...

They haven't contacted me yet but don't know what to expect

My question is that I do have the watch that was stolen as a specified Item on the policy schedule, however it only says 'Breitling'. Looking through the full policy booklet (on line only) its states that specified items must be valued every 3 years...

I do have the box and paperwork for the watch (as that wasn't in the same place as the watch)...

Anyone had this before?

Thanks in advance

Master
    Not sure where you'll stand re the imprecision around the watch model, but you would hope that having the box and papers would be adequate for their purposes. In my experience home insurance is more sensible and sympathetic than car insurance. When I was burgled they instantly offered me the replacement cost of the items stolen; and if yours is offering replacement cost then the market value of the watch - it was a specified high-value item, rather than an agreed-value one - isn't really relevant.

The one catch - to be on your guard against - is that they may offer you store vouchers to replace it. This is a ploy they use to reduce costs (they obviously have a deal with the chain). If it's for somewhere that stocks Breitlings, and you simply want to replace it, fine. But you may not want to, and that's where the vouchers become an issue.

In short, you are entitled to insist on a cash refund. The insurance ombudsman has explicitly criticised insurers for paying out in tied vouchers rather than cheques, though they still do it, as presumably most people just go along with it.

[1] the Financial Services Ombudsman has ruled that:

“The option to replace jewellery is not properly exercised by offering a policyholder an authority to buy jewellery up to an agreed value at a particular jeweller’s shop. That is wrong in principle, although it seems to have become a hallowed practice. It is, in fact, a denial of true indemnity.”

In my case I therefore went back to my insurer and asked for a cheque rather than vouchers. At which point they tried to reduce the payout by about £300. At which point I pointed out [2] that it states clearly on the FOS's website @

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...place-cash.htm

- that: "Policyholders should be allowed to choose where they purchase a replacement and they are entitled to a cash settlement if they cannot find an acceptable alternative. In such circumstances, we would not regard it as reasonable for the insurer to make a deduction from the cash settlement to represent any discount it would have got if the policyholder had bought a replacement from one of the insurer's nominated suppliers."

[3] There follows a list of recent cases where the FOS has upheld customer's rights to have cash settlements, for example this one:

"We told the insurer we were surprised to learn of the approach it had taken in this case. Our views on what is reasonable - where an insurer has to decide whether to repair or replace an item, or offer a cash settlement - are well-established. Indeed this topic featured in an ombudsman news article as long ago as October 2001 (issue 10). We upheld Mrs W's complaint. We told the insurer to pay her a cash settlement equal to the full cost of replacing the jewellery. We said it should not deduct the 20% discount that it could get from its preferred suppliers. We said it should also pay Mrs W a modest sum to reflect the distress and inconvenience she had been caused by its poor handling of her claim."

At which point my complaint went upstairs, the insurer back-pedalled, apologised, and issued a cheque to the value of the initial store voucher.

So, note that your insurer is [A] not allowed to insist that you take store vouchers instead of cash, and [B] not allowed to offer you less in cash than they offer in store vouchers.

The loss adjuster will be looking to establish several things:

Firstly that the burgulary actually occured and a Police crime number will usually suffice for this.

Secondly that the item actually existed. The box and papers will help to prove this and if you have a purchase receipt then let them have this as they can then validate this with the shop you purchased it from.

Thirdly the value which a valuation will prove. With an item of jewellery the value could vary considerably for example a diamond ring where the size, colour, clarity of the diamond will affect the value massively. With a watch this is less so and I would look to get a current price list and supply this as proof of value if the model is still a current one. If the model is discontinued then I would supply the list and highlight the nearest equivalent model.

Hope this helps.

Craftsman
    Hi Thanks for the responses, very very helpful and greatly appreciated.

To add more detail. The watch in question was a Bi-Metal Chronomat Evolution which is discontinued and was purchased from a member of another forum.

Not sure if that effects the replies?

Thanks again

Master
    Depending on what was taken and the likely value of the total claim you could consider appointing your own loss adjuster to work with the insurance company's loss adjuster as your adjuster will work to maximise your legitimate claim vs the insurance companies adjuster being keen to minimise any pay out

Yes If we are taking decent money - get your own adjuster.

Craftsman
    Hi

Having a quick calculation I would imagine the total claim to be around £7k

Thanks

Craftsman
    I was with esure when I was burgled and a watch expert called me and recorded the call for analysis at a later stage. He asked lots of questions, I was that nervous I had a job to remember whether my Breitling had a blue or black face. I was under insured by 20% so got the claim value minus 20%. Bugger

Master
    One thing everyone reading this thread could profitably do is take a good photo of their watch[es], ideally with receipts, paperwork with serials etc.

Master
    I did a thread a while back advising people to check their policys.

valuation certificate within 3 years needed by most.

get it sorted lads

Master
    Presumably the valuation is only necessary on specified items where there is some sort of agreed value? But yes, that's a very important bit of small print.

When I was burgled my expensive watches were with me, but a cheaper Longines dress watch (not a specified item) was stolen. It cost about £300 in the mid-1990s. They offered me c£800 for the nearest equivalent in the current lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    One thing everyone reading this thread could profitably do is take a good photo of their watch[es], ideally with receipts, paperwork with serials etc.
    I think that if you have paid by debit card, credit card or pretty much any other means other than cash, your bank/credit card statements are as much proof of purchase as the receipt from the shop.