closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Love my Black Bay but......

Craftsman

Love my Black Bay but......

I have Tudor BB blue which I love as my main daily wearer but I really miss not knowing the date :(

I would love some ideas for an alternative although it needs to be in roughly the same price bracket and style. Not an SMP though as I have been there and done that :)

Master
    SuperOcean Heritage?

Craftsman
    There's a vintage Tudor Submariner on SC at the moment - might be worth a look - fully serviced so looks very new, and has a date

It is entirely possible I will get flamed for this suggestion but why not have a look at the inhouse movement powered C60 Trident range over on Chr.Ward?

Craftsman
    Not sure about brightblings although never actually tried one.

CW again not sure about their rep, I don't like their pricing policy at this rate they will cost more than a Rolex in 10 years! :)

The vintage Tudor might be an option although I was hoping to get something with a bracelet.

I might get flamed for this but can I humbly suggest that you look at the latest Helson Shark Diver 40? It's astonishing value at 600USD - case, bracelet and clasp are very high quality IMO and the Miyota 9015 movement in mine is running +2 seconds PER WEEK!!!!! The lume is awesome and it has a date for you. It's been on my wrist since it arrived a couple of months ago.

I do fancy a Tudor BB Red though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neillp View Post
    Not sure about brightblings although never actually tried one.
    Muppet

Buy a daily newspaper and keep the Watch.

My advice won't be much help but out of all the other watches mentioned on this thread the Blue Black Bay is the best of the bunch imho. Keep it and check a calendar each morning :-).

My only other suggestion would be a 2254 Seamaster but you've already said that's out.

This post was actually rather pointless. Apologies.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 22nd April 2015 at 10:45.

Since you like your Tudors how about the older model Hydronaut 2. I had one and regret selling it. Great build quality, good bracelet, very comfortable and a date (without cyclops). And you can pick one up for about a grand.

http://www.askmen.com/fashion/watch/...ronaut-ii.html

Something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Muppet
    +1

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Muppet
    Thanks for the helpful comment care to explain why you felt that might educate me? I didn't rule it out just said I am not sure.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    My advice won't be much help but out of all the other watches mentioned on this thread the Blue Black Bay is the best of the bunch imho. Keep it and check a calendar each morning :-).

My only other suggestion would be a 2254 Seamaster but you've already said that out.

This post was actually rather pointless. Apologies.
    I had a 2264 and agree it is a lovely watch, really miss that but trying not to go back over old ground 😊

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Buy a daily newspaper and keep the Watch.
    Having worn way watches with the date function for over 20 years I still keep looking at my watch every time I have to approve something at work! If I could stop the habit I wouldn't mind 😡

I have a Blackbay as well and it is a fantastic watch. I also wanted something similar with a date so opted for an SM300

Grand Master
    Thanks for the helpful comment care to explain why you felt that might educate me? I didn't rule it out just said I am not sure.
    It's a boring cliché, used often (not saying it is in this case) by people who think they've just invented the term! Also, you'd be surprised at the number of threads started with "I don't normally like Breitlings but." so have a look at one, but I would suggest the smaller versions, whose all-polished finish suits the size and vintage vibe much better.

For something much cheaper, there's the Glycine Combat Sub, a dive watch with a small but dedicated following. Also, Longines Hydroconquest if you are happier with a more mainstream brand.

Personally I'd get one of the older Superoceans. Conventional but robust and well-tuned movement, blows everything else away for specification and performance. Giant diver test from Uhren Magazin (an online and print publication) from 2001 which makes interesting reading especially if you can read a bit of German:

http://gerro.uw.hu/temp/teil_1_de.pdf
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman
    Thanks Andrew I will have a look at that article.

Ade that sea master really nice, time to do some reading!

Have you given thought to a slightly used Pelagos? It has a date and with the new one coming out you're sure to find one for a lot cheaper they used to go for. Its Bracelet is second to none and unless you don't like titanium it ticks all your boxes. G'luck

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thg74 View Post
    Have you given thought to a slightly used Pelagos? It has a date and with the new one coming out you're sure to find one for a lot cheaper they used to go for. Its Bracelet is second to none and unless you don't like titanium it ticks all your boxes. G'luck
    Bugger your right! The prices are possibly within reach now used.
    Thanks

Master
    Take a look at an older Breitling Superocean professional, satin finish charcoal face with date.I bought mine in 1990? and wish I hadn't sold it now, it was a very wearable size and quite discrete.

Master
    Having worn way watches with the date function for over 20 years I still keep looking at my watch every time I have to approve something at work! If I could stop the habit I wouldn't mind
    See also the reason for selling my Black bay, Speedmaster and PRS82! Bloody embarrassing flicking my wrist over when signing documents only to find there's no date display!
    I went back over old ground - currently waiting for a Seamaster ceramic to arrive!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Piemuncher22 View Post
    See also the reason for selling my Black bay, Speedmaster and PRS82! Bloody embarrassing flicking my wrist over when signing documents only to find there's no date display!
    I went back over old ground - currently waiting for a Seamaster ceramic to arrive!
    I feel your pain! 😢

One thought was to ditch any watch I own with the date and force myself out of the habit but that would mean selling some sentimental pieces.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I might get flamed for this but can I humbly suggest that you look at the latest Helson Shark Diver 40? It's astonishing value at 600USD - case, bracelet and clasp are very high quality IMO and the Miyota 9015 movement in mine is running +2 seconds PER WEEK!!!!! The lume is awesome and it has a date for you. It's been on my wrist since it arrived a couple of months ago.

I do fancy a Tudor BB Red though!
    +1 for the Helson, superb watch for the money, I was blown away when I bought mine off here. Could be added to the stable for not much outlay.

I too have the Blue Bay and the date, or lack of, only occasionally catches me out but that is its raison d'etre, it's a thoroughly decent re-interpration of the 7922/7924 versions and is all the better IMO for being date-less.

I'd concur about the Superocean too, very solid and certain older versions can be had with brushed case, model no. escapes me though.

Staying with Tudor, how about the new model GranTour Date, not a diver but still 150m WR. You'd need a decent discount for this one though.