closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor Pelagos

Journeyman

Tudor Pelagos

I'm thinking of buying the new Tudor Pelagos when it comes out.

I've read that it should be available in July - do I need to do anything in advance to make sure I can get it in July? ie is this the type of release that would possibly be sold out ?

Master
    No harm in speaking to your local AD and getting your name on the list. It's most likely a soft release, where the stockists will sell the ETA models before the new versions come into stock.

They don't seem to hold their value as well as they should though (amazing watches), so if it was me, I'd speak to Iconic watches or the like once the new models have been released, and see what discount they can achieve for you.

Journeyman
    Can I expect MSRP and no discount from an AD since its brand new ?

I'm looking to buy it to mark the birth of my son this year... Interesting that you say they do not hold their value, that's compared to a rolex, or to other similar watches ? I wonder if the new in house movement will change how well this one hold its value.

Not that it should matter, the plan is to pass this on to him when he grows up, and I would hope he doesn't plan to sell it! :)

Master
    I'd be very surprised if you can find a discount. Perhaps some freebie extras but as this brand is under the Rolex name, the Ads currently seem very, very twitchy about selling you Rolexa watch at full price, let alone discounted. I would expect the same will apply to Tudor.

The ETA movement model is an excellent watch but with an RRP of £2750 or so, the ETAs hover around £1000 less than RRP used. The in-house movement model is already causing arguments amongst WIS with the extra text on the dial, so I reckon you'll find people that want an ETA for the dial, and others who will want the in-house model for the movement. Therefore it's possible both models will hold similar values in the short-term as their RRPs are similar to start off with. The blue appeals to some but it's not a colour everybody likes.

It's for your son as you say though and I agree that all the above probably doesn't matter for the most part. It's just my opinion.

Journeyman
    Yea, I'm not a huge fan of all the extra text, but I like the idea of having an in-house movement. The blue, I think I'm going to have to see it in person before I decide. What I really wish there was an option for is a no-date face.

Congrats on the addition to the family; I did something similar and bought a Breitling to mark my son's birth with the eventual aim that he will inherit all my watches. Great choice in the Pelagos; I was looking at one in a Rolex dealer yesterday and I think it is a classy design that will still look classy in many years time. Zero chance of a discount when I gently enquired....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nori View Post
    Can I expect MSRP and no discount from an AD since its brand new ?

I'm looking to buy it to mark the birth of my son this year... Interesting that you say they do not hold their value, that's compared to a rolex, or to other similar watches ? I wonder if the new in house movement will change how well this one hold its value.

Not that it should matter, the plan is to pass this on to him when he grows up, and I would hope he doesn't plan to sell it! :)
    Sorry, I don't think you can expect the dealer to secure a watch for you and give you a discount.

Congratulations on your son. If I was he I would prefer it if you purchased high yielding bonds, good stocks or made some other safe investment with the money. Then give it to him on his 18th birthday with the understanding that it is to be spent on something sensible like his education. Don't you think he would be happier with a healthy amount of cash on his 18th birthday than with a watch that he may or may not like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Sorry, I don't think you can expect the dealer to secure a watch for you and give you a discount.

Congratulations on your son. If I was he I would prefer it if you purchased high yielding bonds, good stocks or made some other safe investment with the money. Then give it to him on his 18th birthday with the understanding that it is to be spent on something sensible like his education. Don't you think he would be happier with a healthy amount of cash on his 18th birthday than with a watch that he may or may not like?
    MARKING the birth of his son means he may be wearing it himself... Yours is not a bad idea but you do miss the sentimental point. Of course the OP may be planning to do some saving for his son too :-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    MARKING the birth of his son means he may be wearing it himself... Yours is not a bad idea but you do miss the sentimental point. Of course the OP may be planning to do some saving for his son too :-)
    Sure, point taken. For all I know the OP can easily afford to pay for his son's education and help him with a down payment for his first home. In that case I would suggest something a bit more exclusive like a Patek or a limited edition watch. This is sure to be worth quite a bit 18 years from now:

Master
    For this purpose at least I might avoid something as marmite as the snoopy Speedie. There is plenty of opinion that it is a good watch ruined so LE or not he might not thank you in 18 years when times and tastes may have changed!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sure, point taken. For all I know the OP can easily afford to pay for his son's education and help him with a down payment for his first home. In that case I would suggest something a bit more exclusive like a Patek or a limited edition watch. This is sure to be worth quite a bit 18 years from now:

Only an LE or Patek is a good watch
    to mark a child's birth?

Oh dear. I bought the PRS-9 when my son was due, that's not good enough for him then? Hopefully he'll appreciate the gesture, and that his grandad loved wearing it.

My vague point is a one-off sum of £2500 (cost of the Pelagis?) won't be a huge investment so getting a watch is no big deal. £2500 each year would be different. Sometimes the purely practical should give way to the more romantic.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    For this purpose at least I might avoid something as marmite as the snoopy Speedie. There is plenty of opinion that it is a good watch ruined so LE or not he might not thank you in 18 years when times and tastes may have changed!
    You don't think the Pelagos is marmite?

Master
    You don't think the Pelagos is marmite?
    Fair point, a lot of watches are but I think the Snoopy Speedie divides opinion more than the Pelagos which even in its latest Multi-page tome version is in essence a subtle tool watch. If it were an original 70s Speedie LE then I might have some interest but a design covered in cartoons and quotes aint my thing. I get the Nasa connection but I can't say I like the watch!
    Last edited by Padders; 19th April 2015 at 21:27.

Journeyman
    As mentioned, this is not meant to be an investment. it's to mark the year my son is born and also provides me a bad ass tool watch for me to wear and dive with.

When my son is of an appropriate age, I'll pass on the watch to him, if he's interested in watches. If he isn't, no problem, I'll be very happy to continue to wear it. :-)

But who knows what the trend will be years from now and what people will wear on their wrists, maybe these apple watches will continue to be all the rage...