closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17,000 dollars!!! For a circuit board in a gold case. Has the world gone mad?

Master

17,000 dollars!!! For a circuit board in a gold case. Has the world gone mad?

I logged on to Youtube earlier and in the "what to watch" section, there was a video that caught my eye. It's a guy who drives a 90 minute round-trip just to try on an Apple watch, in gold, for 17,000USD. Seventeen thousand dollars!!! Seventeen!

I'm not saying that this hobby doesn't sometimes seem a bit ludicrous, with steel dive watches from Rolex now being £6k or so, but with that, you get a mechanical device, with real craftsmanship (even if that parts are CNC'd), brand heritage and durability. With the Apple "watch", you get a circuit board inside a gold case from a company with great marketing prowess.

I love my iPhone. It runs my life. When I owned an iPad, it was great. The Mac I'm using right now is also a great device. However the Apple watch just seems like the black sheep to me, yet I imagine millions of consumers won't see it that way.

I personally think the "watch" has a nice design, and when I played with one in store the other day, it seemed alright, but it's nothing special. It's certainly not worth the price of even the low end models, never mind the cost of the "edition". It's well constructed, and the straps have a very well designed quick-change system which is something watch manufacturers could take note of, but it isn't a watch, it's a computer.

Paper books and vinyl are making a come-back, as are film cameras and so on. However they all went through a period of being totally unwanted before a revival. I guess time will tell as to whether any adverse affects from smart-watches are felt.

I really hope this device doesn't affect the mechanical watch world negatively, because it just doesn't deserve to. I just hope people see this and realise what a totally over-priced market Apple have created off the back of marketing and making us think we "need" everything they produce.

Last edited by W44NNE; 18th April 2015 at 23:47.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I do not think it will massively affect the market at all, I cannot see people who like Swiss brands (or Japanese and so on) switching allegiance to this gimmick. Each to their own I guess, I dislike the styling and have no love for the whole Iwatch thing.

If apple brought out clothes, I do not think they would take market share from high end Italian designers - I do think that tec geeks that love apple may invest more in clothing then they would previously, and I imagine it could be the same for the watches.
    Last edited by maccer; 19th April 2015 at 09:44.

Ok, so I take it the internals are the same as the standard models?

If they are, your paying an extra $16,000 USD for about 7 grams of gold.. "Bargain" ;)
    Last edited by senraw; 18th April 2015 at 23:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senraw View Post
    Ok, so I take it the internals are the same as the standard models?

If they are, your paying an extra $16,000 USD for about 7 grams of gold.. "Bargain" ;)
    Correct! Totally unjustifiable other than playing on the "needs" of the pretentious and high rolling materialistic types.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Correct! Totally unjustifiable other than playing on the "needs" of the pretentious and high rolling materialistic types.
    The Arabs will buy them.

Banned
    The Arabs will buy them.
    Please don't insult Arabs.

How am I insulting them? It's clearly what they will be aimed at.

Journeyman
    Someone who is willing to pay 17,000 for a watch, probably owns a few high end watches already and probably will continue to want to wear them. To me owning an apple watch, but not wearing it all the time to get the benefits kind of defeats the purpose ??

Pretty sad the lengths folk go to for the 15mins of youtube fame.

Anyone interested in watching my 200mile round trip to watch me pick up my freshly built engine?

If it is a tarted up flat 4 1,1L air-cooled one then the answer is no

Sadly it's a bit of late 80's 6 cylinder jap crap.

I'm not cool enough to rock a stinger exhaust!

Well, there's an app watch for that

Banned
    Blog Entries

Hail the 18k Apple watch

You are FUNNY.

Summing up the needs so recognized a watch forum where the irrational acquisition of Veblen watches is defended at ány price!

Why all the agressivity to the Apple watch at all??!!
    It is just a new addition to the wonderfully varied pallet of horology.
    It stands to reason that both luddites and buyers of mass produced Veblen mechanica don´t líke it. So what? By all means don´t like it. Why would they care if it would need recycling soon?!
    It is a brand with a desirable image worth an uplift. I would have expected especially the Veblen buyers to totally gét the added value of that!

The ´Apple´ component adds a very wellcome different facet at the perceived higher end of the wrist real estate. Furthermore 16K$ is not all thát much for young internet rich and it buys them an 18K Apple on the wrist! Those are not worried in the least about service intervals or residual values as they are quite sure it will be obsolete/upgraded shortly.
    Good for them!!

Craftsman
    I think the thing that offends me about it the most is that it's throwing money away. At least when someone buys a $17k mechanical watch, you can be reasonably sure you'll get a decent sum back for the lifetime of the watch, which is many decades under normal use. This is obsolete within a year.

So why doesn't apple start selling edition iPhone in solid gold, platinum and white gold. Why not add in diamonds or other precious stones?

Quote Originally Posted by MattG View Post
    I think the thing that offends me about it the most is that it's throwing money away. At least when someone buys a $17k mechanical watch, you can be reasonably sure you'll get a decent sum back for the lifetime of the watch, which is many decades under normal use. This is obsolete within a year.
    That's all true, but the buyers will know this, the demographic who this is aimed at is quite aware of electronic obsolescence and will still buy it....
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The Arabs will buy them.
    They sure will.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pains me to agree with Cilla and I wonder why the OP started a new thread about this well-picked-over topic.

Yes it's expensive. Some people want to be noticed. Some people wanted the first white iPhone to show it was the newest model. Some wanted the first gold iPhone to show it was a 5s, not a 5. If you think all Apple owners are like that you are stupid.

I won't buy it but if some people want to, good for them. Buying very expensive champagne or other wines offends me more. This will last for longer after all...

Banned
    Look $17,000 is peanuts to some they'll buy it and forget about it probably not even wear it, we have member's here who drive great distances for watches, it's whatever the heart desires, the difference, no difference.

Grand Master
    Does nothing for me to have me rushing down the Apple Store.

I don't really understand what you find so strange Wayne. I know I'm going to sound like Cilla here but it's the best example I can come up with right now!

A GMTc BLNR in steel is £6k whereas the Pepsi in white gold is £25k. That's £19,000 difference (or approx $30,000) for the same movement wrapped in gold rather than steel.

it is what it is and totally justifiable in that they are supplying to a market segment that see value in that product at that price.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Pains me to agree with Cilla and I wonder why the OP started a new thread about this well-picked-over topic.

Yes it's expensive. Some people want to be noticed. Some people wanted the first white iPhone to show it was the newest model. Some wanted the first gold iPhone to show it was a 5s, not a 5. If you think all Apple owners are like that you are stupid.

I won't buy it but if some people want to, good for them. Buying very expensive champagne or other wines offends me more. This will last for longer after all...
    Also the OP and like totally ignore that it is no effort at all to loose more faster on Rolex jewelty, never mind other brands.

In the grander scheme of things like telling the wife* your want to spend some money on a wannahave image product, the Apple watch and a luxury mechanical are like a Tessla saloon and a 2 seater Morgan. Good chance she will agree with the Apple as it actually doés something desirable by modern world standards.

* sorry for the word choice which could be perceived as slightly and as such no doubt will be, but I am not married and don´t try/need justify simple wánt buys.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    You are FUNNY.

Summing up the needs so recognized a watch forum where the irrational acquisition of Veblen watches is defended at ány price!

It stands to reason that both luddites and buyers of mass produced Veblen mechanica don´t líke it. So what? By all means don´t like it. Why would they care if it would need recycling soon?!
    It is a brand with a desirable image worth an uplift. I would have expected especially the Veblen buyers to totally gét the added value of that!

The ´Apple´ component adds a very wellcome different facet at the perceived higher end of the wrist real estate. Furthermore 16K$ is not all thát much for young internet rich and it buys them an 18K Apple on the wrist! Those are not worried in the least about service intervals or residual values as they are quite sure it will be obsolete/upgraded shortly.
    Good for them!!
    This is oddly one of the better posts written on TZ about the apple watch... I don't really understand the rest of horology world to go 'smart'. This knee jerk reaction is like the quartz development all over again, but I think it's in a far stronger position now to stand its ground. So in my view plenty of space for both.

I was in the Regent Street store on Thursday... A normal looking Arab couple in their late 50's were in there with a staff member and on the phone to someone else. They were seriously looking at the gold edition presumably for person on the other end of the phone by the way it was playing out. So obviously there is a market! Also what shocked me a little and made me comment to the Mrs was the apple guy didn't looked very shocked at all that someone was showing serious interest in the expensive model - go next door to Watches of Switzerland or over the road to Omega and the champagne would be out to seal the deal!

I think all the Apple models bar the sports version are way over priced. I have said this before on other threads but the second hand value is going to be dire. I would not care if a decent high end expensive smart watch came out if fact i might buy one! I just have tired of Apple.
    Last edited by miguelh34; 19th April 2015 at 08:59.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    They sure will.
    By Jove; you lot really dig a deep hole for yourselves.

When this Apple watch was first plugged my lover at that time commented out of the blue that she woúld wear one of thóse and purred about the idea of one in 18K.
    She wears no watch, no bracelet, no rings, no jewelry whatsoever but is just about gluéd to her phone and at the same time hátes the inconvenience of having the thing at hand. The Apple would give her a practical bit of jewelry with modern desirable image.

I can see the 18k Apple as a real desirable for lots of women and modern internet guys, indeed not for old fart males. I would have thought the latter to be háppy with the greater distinction.

Btw. an F1 driver woúld be able to monitor his lap times, even telemetry, to aid his precise driving, on his Ápple watch! It would make a functional modern age Le Mans watch
    Last edited by Huertecilla; 19th April 2015 at 09:07.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    says the professional digger, still waiting for your factual link regarding bracelets by the way.

Btw. an F1 driver woúld be able to monitor his lap times, even telemetry, to aid his precise driving, on his Ápple watch! It would make a functional modern age Le Mans watch
    But only if he's got his iPhone in his pocket and a spare hand that's not steering/changing gear/making adjustments etc!

It's an interesting thought though, imagine young Verstsppen or Sainz going into the barriers because they'd just been snap chatted!

When this Apple watch was first plugged my lover at that time commented out of the blue that she woúld wear one of thóse and purred about the idea of one in 18K.
    She wears no watch, no bracelet, no rings, no jewelry whatsoever but is just about gluéd to her phone and at the same time hátes the inconvenience of having the thing at hand. The Apple would give her a practical bit of jewelry with modern desirable image.

I can see the 18k Apple as a real desirable for lots of women and modern internet guys, indeed not for old fart males. I would have thought the latter to be háppy with the greater distinction.

Over 200 mph and look at that tiny screen i don't think so

Banned
    An F1 driver using a wristwatch to monitor anything is romantic tosh.

Master
    You are FUNNY.

Good for them!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I don't really understand what you find so strange Wayne. I know I'm going to sound like Cilla here but it's the best example I can come up with right now!

A GMTc BLNR in steel is £6k whereas the Pepsi in white gold is £25k. That's £19,000 difference (or approx $30,000) for the same movement wrapped in gold rather than steel.

it is what it is and totally justifiable in that they are supplying to a market segment that see value in that product at that price.
    Both points make sense, and of course I understand there's a market for this watch. I'd much rather have the money in a gold mechanical watch myself Dave as at least it'll last. Even if a smart watch lasts for many years physically, it's technology will be so out of date, it'll just be an ornament. I work in IT, I'm not a luddite, just not the market Apple are trying to attract clearly I; even though I have pretty much every other Apple product and I adore my watch hobby.

The thing that amazed me was just how many "oohs", "arrs" and "wows" are in this video, and the effort of dressing smartly etc from the kid. He doesn't see the watch for what it physically is, but rather what the marketing has created in his head. It could have been 100,000USD and had the same response. Maybe it's not dear enough.

I guess I just can't imagine how much money you must have to have, to make such a stupid buying proposition. The sports model is a lot of money but makes a heck of a better buying proposition than the edition model. It'll be a long time before I ever consider anything like that personally, if ever.

Is there an app for that then? A) the data wouldn't be accurate enough and B) as if they need even more information at 210mph. I reckon he should just have his iPhone mounted on his dashboard with the same information... makes much more sense.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 19th April 2015 at 09:40.

They'd probably use the aluminium one though for the Wright saving over gold. Either that or have a special edition carbon fibre case made!

Probably more suited to formula E though!

Both points make sense, and of course I understand there's a market for this watch. I'd much rather have the money in a gold mechanical watch myself Dave as at least it'll last. Even if a smart watch lasts for many years physically, it's technology will be so out of date, it'll just be an ornament. I work in IT, I'm not a luddite, just not the market Apple are trying to attract clearly I; even though I have pretty much every other Apple product and I adore my watch hobby.

The thing that amazed me was just how many "oohs", "arrs" and "wows" are in this video, and the effort of dressing smartly etc from the kid. He doesn't see the watch for what it physically is, but rather what the marketing has created in his head. It could have been 100,000USD and had the same response. Maybe it's not dear enough.

I guess I just can't imagine how much money you must have to have, to make such a stupid buying proposition. The sports model is a lot of money but makes a heck of a better buying proposition than the edition model. It'll be a long time before I ever consider anything like that personally, if ever.
    Whilst I'm certainly in the same camp as you re spending that kind of money on an Apple product, it's no more stupid a buying proposition than any other watch in that price bracket!

If you can afford to spend $17k on a watch (or watches) then it's an option.

It's not mechanical and it'll be obsolete in a few years but you don't necessarily need obscene amounts of money to buy one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    Over 200 mph and look at that tiny screen i don't think so
    In the pit of course you silly ;-)

Sure it is romantic tosh GrandS but it sells seventies tech ´accuracy´ big time

http://www.rolex.com/es/world-of-rol...formula-1.html

Mass produced old tech in steel for wáy more than 16k$ and the Ápple actually coúld display all the modern telemetrie data available. Also when the driver goes to enjoy a hot dog or sauerkraut.
    Real world:
    - I úse the tablet of my son with performance app using the time & G-sensor calculations. Way better than seat of the pants.
    - The mechanical chronograph watch I have for ornamental purposes only even on my bicycle.

Both have their place. I appreciate bóth.
    And eh, GrandS, the romantic tosh is a big thing with associations and in wis-dom there is little móre important so a modern day ´Le Mans´watch is GREAT!! Bring out the Le Mans screen app

Master
    Whilst I'm certainly in the same camp as you re spending that kind of money on an Apple product, it's no more stupid a buying proposition than any other watch in that price bracket!
    I totally disagree with that statement to be honest Dave, but we all have our own opinions. I don't know if you've tried one, but I have good eyesight, dextrous fingers but whilst playing with the OS for a while, several times, I hit the wrong icons. Anyway, I'm happy to agree to disagree

Banned
    Blog Entries

It's not mechanical and it'll be obsolete in a few years

A mechanical time keeping instrument indeed will not becóme obsolote. It has been since 1970.

Those who (over)pay for mass produced mech tech do so for óther reasons. Hence it is totally superfluous for them to ventilate what they think of the smart tech; they don´t even get the prévious tech!
    Their critisim on spending for image as being ludicrous is

I sincerely hope that the Apple watch discussion will keep going as it puts the segrations within wis-dom in wonderfull perspective!

Meanwhile I am ever more disappointed that Seiko never came out with an SDGA004 (in 18k) so I make do with my qco circuit board in gold case:

p.s. I só enjoy Dickstar sharing his circuit board in 18k watches and it imo illustrates that/why these 18k Apples will be future desirables ánd that they will seriously boost the vintage high end quartz in 18k.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Does nothing for me to have me rushing down the Apple Store.
    Best not to rush down the store, you can only buy them online.

I'm not saying that this hobby doesn't sometimes seem a bit ludicrous, with steel dive watches from Rolex now being £6k or so, but with that, you get a mechanical device, with real craftsmanship (even if that parts are CNC'd), brand heritage and durability. With the Apple "watch", you get a circuit board inside a gold case from a company with great marketing prowess.
    Look at the new Gold Yachtmaster on rubber — With the Rolex, you get a an old fashioned mechanical movement, made almost by robots inside a gold case from a company with even greater marketing prowess.

I can't say either brand offer good value, however the R&D Apple would have put into their watch would be far greater than Rolex has with any new offering.

I don't see why mechanical devices are valued higher than electronics. The tolerances and manufacturing processes that go into micro electronics is utterly mind blowing.

Saying that I'd prefer the Yachtmaster but have utmost respect for the tech industry for pushing the boundaries.

Grand Master
    Also the OP and like totally ignore that it is no effort at all to loose more faster on Rolex jewelty, never mind other brands.
    And only Rolex, right - not the other ones, which lose their value faster
    In the grander scheme of things like telling the wife* your want to spend some money on a wannahave image product, the Apple watch and a luxury mechanical are like a Tessla saloon and a 2 seater Morgan. Good chance she will agree with the Apple as it actually doés something desirable by modern world standards.
    True but it'll only do it for 18-24 months and then the irreplaceable battery will die and you'll chuck it in the bin. Unlike a mechanical watch, this will become obsolete over a few years as Apple, and app makers, stop supporting it. You cannot argue against that. In reality Apple will probably do a buyback scheme where you can trade the old one in, like a car, just after its lost most of its value in depreciation!

Also, "does something desirable"? Cause people to stare at their screens even longer waiting for crappy social media updates, then die after 18 hours' gentle use? Mmm.

As for Arabs, some I know will buy this like you buy $10 rubber cases for your iPhone. They buy it because it's shiny, and because it's expensive. If it was only a thousand or two more, reflecting the typical uplift in price for gold vs steel watches (using Longines as a benchmark), they would likely by fewer, or not at all. But Apple brand + gold + wealth signalling = cha-ching.

It is in many ways, just another Veblen good, which suits the direction of this thread very well ;).
    Last edited by andrew; 19th April 2015 at 10:41.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Banned
    I don't think these are really for watches fans, more another gadget for a tech freak who craves the latest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Look at the new Gold Yachtmaster on rubber — With the Rolex, you get a an old fashioned mechanical movement, made almost by robots inside a gold case from a company with even greater marketing prowess.

I can't say either brand offer good value, however the R&D Apple would have put into their watch would be far greater than Rolex has with any new offering.

I don't see why mechanical devices are valued higher than electronics. The tolerances and manufacturing processes that go into micro electronics is utterly mind blowing.

Saying that I'd prefer the Yachtmaster but have utmost respect for the tech industry for pushing the boundaries.
    ^^^ This

Grand Master

It is not axiomatic that because I think a gold Applewatch is a tasteless, transient and Veb-tastic toy for the world's capital holders, that I automatically love solid gold watches. Some think that, but they have black/white views of the world where you are either smart, post-modern and beyond brands (most brands; some, based on personal preference, are OK), or stupid and love Rolex, which is never OK.

I would buy something like this for fitness tracking or listening to tunes on a run - being able to tell the time is just a side-effect - if it was $100 or less and didn't need an Apple ecosystem to support it. But I would expect to bin it in 2-3 years. I think gold in both is rather flashy for me, and the premiums compare to mainstream brands watch industry:

Longines: 2.5-3x
    Breitling: 3x
    Tissot: 3-3.5x
    Rolex: 3.5-4x
    Apple: 17x

Tell me everything I need to know.

Master
    Look at the new Gold Yachtmaster on rubber...
    Now that is one watch I could agree with unfortunately. I actually wouldn't agree if Rolex had kept the shape of the Yacht-Master case, but they've actually created a franken-watch, as it sits inside a Submariner case. Other than name, it bares no relation to the steel and gold models of old, and IMO should have been called something completely different. It's a bit of an anomaly.

Please can you elaborate. I'd genuinely like to see what goes into such a watch.

For me though, the Apple is the Tesla, and a mechanical watch is the Aston Rapide. One is faster, cheaper to run and better on paper, but soulless. The Other is slower but appeals to my senses and therefore equates to not only the "real thing", but also worth its money.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 19th April 2015 at 11:11.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    True but it'll only do it for 18-24 months and then the irreplaceable battery will die and you'll chuck it in the bin.
    Good grief. I did not realize that the battery is irreplaceable. When will Apple learn that the battery has to be replaceable and then they need to establish their own exclusive service center manned by Swiss oompa loopas so they can charge owners 1000 pounds or so every time a battery needs to be changed?

I won't be buying an Apple watch in the foreseeable future as it doesn't fit with my lifestyle and would serve very little function for me.

As for its value, I always find it strange that people dismiss electronics as 'just a PCB' and of little value just because its cost is relatively low.

I like the designer dress comparison. Women who have the money are happy to spend thousands on designer dresses. Given time anyone could produce a designer dress for next to nothing, with tools you have in the kitchen draw, cut up the material and sew it together. Then look at the cheapest piece of electronics you can find and consider just one of the integrated circuit chips on the PCB, given 10 lifetimes you could never hope to make a copy from scratch yourself.

Modern electronics is incredible and amazing, encompassing skills, discovery and invention going back hundreds of years. I don't think we should dismiss it as 'just a PCB'

As for the relative costs and distorted sale prices of aluminium, stainless and gold Apple watches, well there is nothing new there that the watch industry hasn't been doing for years.

Craftsman
    I am sure Patek Philippe must sell a Quartz watch that costs $17,000 but you probably get diamonds and gold.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Good grief. I did not realize that the battery is irreplaceable. When will Apple learn that the battery has to be replaceable and then they need to establish their own exclusive service center manned by Swiss oompa loopas so they can charge owners 1000 pounds or so every time a battery needs to be changed?
    Battery is replaceable. Its covered under warranty (for 2 years in the EU) not to deplete to less than 50%. After that it is replaceable by Apple at cost. Independent service centres will be providing a replacement service within weeks of launch and far less of a cost just as they do now for iphones etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    I am sure Patek Philippe must sell a Quartz watch that costs $17,000 but you probably get diamonds and gold.
    I think they sell mechanical watches for 17k and you get NO diamonds or gold!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Swiss oompah loompahs, Japanese ninjas, Chinese factory workers... All providing the same service, robustly marked up. The only difference is the colour of your top!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    I think they sell mechanical watches for 17k and you get NO diamonds or gold!
    ánd no fear of becóming obsolete since is has been since 1970.

It simply is development of technlogy. Quite awesome tech too.
    For those who don´t like modern tech there is mech tech.
    For those who don´t like modern tech in Veblen guise there are mech tech Veblen watches.

Hail the variation!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    Battery is replaceable. Its covered under warranty (for 2 years in the EU) not to deplete to less than 50%. After that it is replaceable by Apple at cost. Independent service centres will be providing a replacement service within weeks of launch and far less of a cost just as they do now for iphones etc.
    Thanks, that makes sense.