closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Don't hear much of this Brand!

Don't hear much of this Brand!

I must admit this one is growing on me and is rising up the ranks of my "next to purchase list" despite its size and price!

What are the Forum's thoughts on Carl F. Bucherer?

Craftsman
    overpriced swisser :D
    bezel font/pait looks cheap

overpriced swisser :D
    bezel font/pait looks cheap
    Don't sit on the fence will ya

Bucherer is a big and reputable jewler in switzerland. They have stores in alle big citys an tourist places here in switzerland.

http://bucherer.com

They have a very good reputation in switzerland. can't say much about theyre watches do.

The hour hand just looks like a cock. Loads of better divers you could buy for that money. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdiver View Post
    The hour hand just looks like a cock. Loads of better divers you could buy for that money. Sorry.
    I turned the laptop to my wife and said "what does that hour hand look like?" and her response was

"it looks like a cock".

May be of decent quality, but to me it looks like the designer has defected from Invicta.

So is this the own-brand of a Jewellery chain?

Master
    If you're going to go Jewellery shop brands, go Wempe, at least their watches look good

Ha ha, never was there such a comment that made me see a watch in a different way ! You are bang on.

Master
    A Swiss brand with a sense of humour - I've liked that one for a while. A bit pricey, but then if you've become bored of Omega/Rolex/Panerai, you could do worse than opt for the Patravi Scubatec.
    Why is the no mention of it, and many others? Simply because most members (and a British trait) are conservative rather than open to and welcoming of alternatives.

They also make very nice clocks

Whilst it fails to attract me in exactly the same way that current Rolex divers don't, if its what the OP fancies then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    What are the Forum's thoughts on Carl F. Bucherer?
    I did have the chance to review the blue version a couple of months ago:

German: http://diveintowatches.com/reviews/bucherer-scubatec/
    English: http://www.watchtime.com/blog/dive-w...ravi-scubatec/

I was impressed by the watch but personally would have preferred a different or more exclusive movement at this price point.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I turned the laptop to my wife...
    Another one to show:

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    If you're going to go Jewellery shop brands, go Wempe, at least their watches look good
    That would be Wempe's alternative:

and for a tenth of that you can get the mandingo of divers!

Thanks everyone for sharing your comments on both sides. I knew not everyone would like it but was interested to hear all views as the brand is not discussed much.

Personally, I really like how it looks and the build quality is excellent. However, I do agree that it needs a better movement at this price point and if I ever did go for it, then I would have to know it was a keeper as no doubt I would lose a ton trying to flip it!

One interesting observation was to hear that some people seemed to dismiss it on the basis of being a jewellers "own brand Swiss watch brand". Surely that shows a level of commitment to watches when compared to a "retail outlet" like Goldsmiths etc. Plus how does this view stand up when everyone seems to be opening their own brand "boutiques" like Rolex and Omega for example.

P.S. Thanks Roger for the review. That is very helpful.

One interesting observation was to hear that some people seemed to dismiss it on the basis of being a jewellers "own brand Swiss watch brand". Surely that shows a level of commitment to watches when compared to a "retail outlet" like Goldsmiths etc. Plus how does this view stand up when everyone seems to be opening their own brand "boutiques" like Rolex and Omega for example.
    If you want to have another read at it, you'll see I simply asked a question, there was no dismissal of the brand solely on the basis of it being owned by a jewellery chain. You chose to read more into it because deep down I think you know it's probably not a brilliant product.

If you want to talk about Rolex and Omega opening boutiques, you might want to make the distinction between a watch manufacturer dipping their toes into retail and a retailer pretending to be a manufacturer.

Maybe you need to look up the definition of the word "Seemed"! I am sorry if you felt my use of dismiss was a little strong but in no way was I having a "dig" at anyone for their views. Also you will know my view on the watch by reading my posts.

Finally, can I ask how do you define a manufacturer? Because if it is based on building your own movements then Carl F. Bucherer meets that requirement. Also I find your last comment a little strange as I bet that Rolex and Omega own many more shops than Bucherer! So a bit more than dipping their toes into retail!

Educate me then, instead of sarcasm. There's not much solid English-language info out there on this brand.

There is a bunch of english information on their website.

http://www.carl-f-bucherer.com/en/the-firm/

Quote Originally Posted by Andy540 View Post
    There is a bunch of english information on their website.

http://www.carl-f-bucherer.com/en/the-firm/
    That's the same marketing fluff all brands claim. Any impartial reviews?

No sarcasm intended, not looking for keyboard fight, just exchanging views and information.

Some people define a manufacturer as involved in all up stream and down stream production not just the movements, hence my question on how do you define a manufacturer? People do see Omega and Rolex very differently on their status as manufacturers.

My comment on the number of shops was just to highlight that more and more own brand shops are being set up.

Sorry if I have offended you in any way as that was not my intention.

I'm not offended!

As a brand I'd never heard of before, and effectively being the own-brand of a jewellery chain, it's easy to come to the conclusion that they're probably not a top product. I've bee told they make their own movements, I find that hard to believe but if true, it's impressive. I'm open to education on Bucherer, provided there is more to the brand than its own hyperbole.

Master
    So you know nothing of the brand, yet feel qualified to argue that they're any good or not? Superb logic being displayed there!
    Educate yourself, like the rest of us do - spend time online reading the numerous sources of information available, to make an informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    So you know nothing of the brand, yet feel qualified to argue that they're any good or not? Superb logic being displayed there!
    Educate yourself, like the rest of us do - spend time online reading the numerous sources of information available, to make an informed opinion.
    There's little out there. Like I said, I'm willing to be educated.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    There's little out there. Like I said, I'm willing to be educated.
    There is, but it's not in English. As it's a Swiss brand with no presence at all in the United Kingdom, I wonder why there's even a discussion. Although, it's no surprise that what there was, turned sour!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    I fail to see what the lack presence in the UK has to do with discussing it (or any brand), on an online forum of all places.
    If it's online, in any form, then there's no reason it shouldn't be up for discussion, surely.
    Last edited by PJ S; 19th April 2015 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    I fail to see what the lack presence in the UK has to do with discussing it (or any brand), on an online forum of all places.
    If it's online, in any forum, then there's no reason it shouldn't be up for discussion, surely.
    No-one said it shouldn't be discussed. Surely that's exactly what we're doing?

Master
    I turned the laptop to my wife and said "what does that hour hand look like?" and her response was

"it looks like a cock".
    Tried that with my wife.......................she has no idea what the little hour hand looks like but she says the min hand looks like a cock!!!

Master

"it looks like a cock".
    Classy lady

A lot people must have very strange looking cocks on this thread!

A lot people must have very strange looking cocks on this thread!
    Indeed. My far more classy cock looks more like a Rolex Mercedes hour hand.

I must admit mine's like a Tudor Snowflake hand!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    No-one said it shouldn't be discussed. Surely that's exactly what we're doing?
    My reply was in response to Andrew's comment about why an unrepresented brand (in the UK) was being discussed.