closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zenith El Primero TV/Big blue

Zenith El Primero TV/Big blue

Hi,
    I'm trying to source a good example of one of these. I can find about 6 on chrono24 and 1 on eBay. Does anyone know of any other good sources I could check out.
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/zenith/e...%2fnotepad.htm
    Thanks,
    Ian

It may be worth keeping an eye on the various forums. Try WatchRecon for simplicity: http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=zenith&last_days=31

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that site.

Craftsman
    Watchrecon is watch catnip.
    Like the Friday threads, great for throwing up watches I wasn't aware of.
    Fortunately for me mainly US based sites feature.

Master
    I remember one went through SC a while back. Typically about a week after I'd spunked my cash on something else! Very cool watches.

I think it was mine you were thinking of Piemuncher, i did try and trade it on SC a while ago but kinda glad i didn't work anything out as its a great watch! I'd keep an eye out on ebay as they come up from time to time and IMO offer excellent value for money- famous in-house movement, (arguably) first auto chrono, pretty rare (5000 pieces made i think?) and distinctive genta-esque design

there are 2 bracelet options with these and a word of warning if you get one with this chunky style bracelet, find one thats a decent length as its a nightmare to find links, even though it is a generic bracelet used on many other watches. I was lucky enough to find a NOS one!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hans (9:59) had one on SC, I thought it was price a bit highly YMMV

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin10 View Post
    I think it was mine you were thinking of Piemuncher, i did try and trade it on SC a while ago but kinda glad i didn't work anything out as its a great watch! I'd keep an eye out on ebay as they come up from time to time and IMO offer excellent value for money- famous in-house movement, (arguably) first auto chrono, pretty rare (5000 pieces made i think?) and distinctive genta-esque design
    It was a real shame I missed out on it. You're not thinking about selling up again are you???

Let me know if you are!!

Paul.

Thanks All,
    so far there are 6 on chrono 24, so I'm looking in to these. Unfortunately I'm not eligible for SC yet so will need to follow other options.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zenith-El-...-/161667928671
    Spotted this one on eBay, looks like I won the auction so hopefully have it in a few days. May need to get some work done on it depending on the accuracy of the description. Other than Zenith, who would you recommend to give this a clean and a service?

Craftsman
    Well done, post some pics when it arrives!

I was watching that one and thinking of this thread! Congratulations on a great looking watch. Genesis Watchmaking in Cumbria has a pretty good reputation round here if it needs a service.

Thanks All, I'll get some pics up when it arrives.

It's here!

Well, it arrived today & very pleased. Seems to keep good time and all chrono functions work as they should. May need a replacemtn date spring at some point as the date doesn't snap over at midnight as it should, but I was expecting that based on its' age. Condition is great with some expected age related wear but appears to be well looked after. It's a heavier watch than I expected, but in a good way and the bracelet is agood fit...............I was concerned it may be a little small.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like a good buy - congratulations. They are a great looking watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanH View Post
    Well, it arrived today & very pleased.
    Lovely watch, well bought.

A lovely and distinctive watch, I really like the fact that the pushers are done on a single rocker.
    And the ingot bracelet is really lovely.
    Dave

Craftsman
    Nice watch, well wear!

Thanks All, running strong for the past 24hrs and keeping accurate time.

Looks like a good honest example and great value for money, well done

Thanks winning bid was £1308, so I think I got a good deal. So, I'm wondering now, is it worth sending to Zenith for a service & authentication or do I ust use a good indy (e.g prw) for a service?

Thanks winning bid was £1308, so I think I got a good deal. So, I'm wondering now, is it worth sending to Zenith for a service & authentication or do I ust use a good indy (e.g prw) for a service?
    Meant 'pwr' (premier watch repairs) but can't edit posts.
    Last edited by IanH; 27th April 2015 at 20:57.

It's only worth sending for a service if it needs a service. You've already said it's keeping good time so see if you can get it on a timegrapher - although not perfect, a check of the amplitude will give you a fair indication of how well it's running.

Master
    It wouldn't have been as cheap if I hadn't forgotten to set up my bids for that on auctionsniper :)

I have been after one of those for a while too, hopefully another will come up before too long!

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    It wouldn't have been as cheap if I hadn't forgotten to set up my bids for that on auctionsniper :)

I have been after one of those for a while too, hopefully another will come up before too long!
    Lucky for me!
    There's a few on Chrono24, but almost £2k for one in good condition.

Soon to be reunited

Well, not long after this last post, the watch began to lose a couple of mins a day, so I decided to send it back to Zenith via WoS. Got a call today that it had fnally been returned after teh quoted 22-24w, so I plan to pick it up tomorrow. Should have had a full service including, new crown, new pushers, hands, glass and a clean.
    Looking forward to being reunited with it tomorrow as I've only had it in my possession for about 4w since I bought it. Pics to follow,
    cheers
    Ian

Reunited

Picked it up today after a full restoration and well pleased with the results. All in, not much change from £3k inlcuding purchase price & restoration but I'm happy with the results. Zenith returned the replaced parts and also provided a Zenith zip pouch to store the watch which is useful as I didn't have a box for this one,
    cheers
    Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master
    Looks good, I picked one up recently off the forum and put it in a NOS case and bracelet I had. It runs perfectly, the only issue is that the hour and minute hands are slightly tarnished. I doubt Zenith will sell them separately though

Craftsman
    Looks nice, I like '70s retro.
    'not much change from £3k' minus £1308 equals almost £1700 for the restoration and spare parts?

Great watches, wear mine a lot

Craftsman
    Always loved these, fantastic movement in a superb funky 70s case. Contemplated getting one many times, but fear they would be too big on my smaller than average wrists.

Two lovely examples there though Bootsy and IanH, I can see why you are pleased with them!

Fabulous watch, great movement and a really great bracelet/case combination. Well done .

A model that I have always loved and one day hope to own. You've paid hansomely for the that one Ian but you now have a beautiful watch to cherish. Congratulations.