closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cooking the perfect steak

Master

cooking the perfect steak

Well, I bought two juicy thick rib eye steaks from the butchers; one for tonight, one for tomorrow, as a bit of a rare treat.

I also bought a high quality teflon coated heavy griddle pan thingy.

So, who has a magic recipie for cooking that perfect steak?

The only oil I have at home is extra virgin olive oil - is this ok?

I plan to season only with salt and pepper.

I also bought an onion as I recall my mum sometimes frying the steak with some onions and that was lovely.

(discliamer - I am NOT a chef - this is a rare venture for me, so keep it simple!)

Master
    Don't put oil in the pan.

Massage the oil into the steak add black pepper to the oiled steak- Both sides - leave to rest for 20 mins - open bottles.

Put steak in the pan for 45 -60 seconds each side - should be nicely scarred.

Lower the heat to a medium >low and heat for 2 mins each side for pink in the middle beauty. More if it's half a cow. Cut bits off the edge and try to judge exactly if you wish during phase 2 and open the bottles.

Put the grill on minimum and rest the steak in the area of the grill for about 5-10 mins.

knob of butter, bottle of claret or Malbec and whatever else you have with it and voila.

B

B
    Last edited by Brian; 14th April 2015 at 09:54.

Very lightly oil the steaks, not pan. Season one side. Put room temperature meat into HOT griddle seasoned side down, wait 5 mins whilst seasoning uncooked side. Flip and wait a further 5 mins.

Perfection, or adjust by a minute either way for different levels of doneness.

Master
    I like it medium rare - from googling it seems that roughly 1minute per side per cm thickness of steak, so for a medium rare 2cm steak it's 2 mins per side... does that sound about right?!

Master
    oh, and is it not high heat for the entire cook?

Mate!! Season with rock salt/cracked pepper and do them on the barbie!! There's no other way!!

Allow at least 5 minutes rest time as well!!

Here's some I cooked the other day :)

Last edited by alexaff; 14th April 2015 at 10:08.

Gosh no. Sear then reduce the heat. Unless you want charcoal on the outside. Leaving it to rest a while is good.

Personally, I'd removed cooked steak and whilst it rests I fry the onions in the same pan and then descale it with a ready-made gravy plus a splash of red wine if you like.

Steak without chips is just wrong. Frozen will do nicely.

Master
    Brilliant, thanks for the advice so far!

I dont drink, so no red wine here!

Also I am a bit of a health nut, so I dont eat potato / chips either!! sorry!

I did pick up a nice tray of "mediterranean vegetables" for roasting, so will have those :-)

Any more secret tips, keep them coming,.

Alex - those steaks look amazing! (dont have a bbq though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Steak without chips is just wrong. Frozen will do nicely.
    The chunkier the better though ;)

Master
    oh, by the way - what about the olive oil - is that ok? I have read (google) some folk say it's a no-no due to low smoke point??

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    oh, by the way - what about the olive oil - is that ok? I have read (google) some folk say it's a no-no due to low smoke point??

I always use olive oil and never had a problem.

Buy a bbq mate!! The summers coming and it's well worth it!! Healthy too ;)

Also, buy a meat thermometer. I bought one and always use it now, more so on thick steak or cooked chicken, chicken breasts :)

You get a guide with the thermometer for an assortment of meats as to what temp is how "done" it is. Piece of piss to use and very handy tool!!
    Last edited by alexaff; 14th April 2015 at 10:19.

Master
    Blog Entries
    You basically have the perfect and classic style above.

The only thing I'd add is that depending on what the griddle is made from, when hot and just before you chuck the steak in, I would brush the raised griddle sections with the same oil as you have put on the meat, to reduce the chances of stickage.

Some will say heresy, but to be honest the reason you oil the meat (not the pan) is to ensure even coverage of the meat, which you don't want to stick to the pan, and I find with some griddles you can try & flip the meat, and bits get stuck, so for the sake of 5 seconds you can try and mitigate that. I've found this with cheap and expensive pans...

Master
    Olive oil has a lower smoke point than a lot of oils and is not regarded as good to cook with particulary at high temps which you will be doing with steak- although it's unlikely to do you any harm
    Try rapeseed or coconut oil
    Last edited by craig1912; 14th April 2015 at 10:30.

mmmmmm steak

I like my steaks blue, so I always start off with them at room temperature, otherwise they get cold before you eat them.

I like a little slice of stilton on top of my steak, chuck it on top once you've flipped the steak and let it melt a bit while the 2nd side cooks and then rests

nom nom nom

Brighty

This is how Heston does it:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/h...t-steak-recipe

You only need these bits:

Method

1. Place a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a high heat, then add a thin layer of olive oil. Heat until the oil is smoking hot.

2. Season the steaks with a little salt and place them away from you in the hot pan for 15–20 seconds. Then turn the steaks over and fry for a further 15–20 seconds. Repeat this, turning the steaks, for 2–3 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to rest on a wire rack, for 5 minutes, set over a plate to catch the juices.

And, most importantly:

Heston's ageing trick: Once you've bought your steak take it out of the packet and place it on a wire rack set over a tray. Refrigerate for 2 days to let the air circulate around the meat and start to dry it out. This will concentrate the flavour and start to tenderise the meat. When you're ready to cook the steak, take it out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature for 2 hours.

The most important bit of all is to let the meat come up to room temperature before you cook it. Don't cook refrigerated/cold meat.

Last edited by Bravo73; 14th April 2015 at 11:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    always start off with them at room temperature
    This.

IMO - anything less than well done must be started at room temperature.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Interestingly, Gordon Ramsey also advocates relatively frequent turning of the steak, to ensure even cooking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZcoTQuYUqQ

Heston also demonstrated an alternative method on his In Search of Perfection show - if I remember correctly he suggested putting the steak in the oven at 60 degrees for 20 hours, then doing the outside with a blow torch!

Whatever you do, three pieces of advice, all already given, would be:

1. room temperature to start
    2. you cannot uncook, so try not to overdo it accidentally
    3. let it rest after it comes out of the pan

Journeyman
    Ideally should be rested for as long as it was cooked for.

Master
    I am a massive steak guy and have managed to perfect steak cooking over the last 25 years or so (many trial and errors and various internet tutorials etc). This is what I do:

Steak to room temp

Oil on the steaks. Olive Oil is OK but apparently the cooking temp is too high and will burn/smoke and make the steak taste funny. All different chefs have their favorites but things like groundnut oil or coconut oil are best.

Season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper

Heavy bottomed pan. I bought one of these years ago and have used it hundreds of times so got my worth out of it! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Le-Creuset-C...008204&sr=8-8&
    keywords=le+creuset+cast+iron+skillet

Put the heat under the pan high and leave until super hot and smoking

Put the steaks in the pan and do not touch or move. Cook for 2-3 mins per side dependent on size which will give you medium, rare.

Let the steaks rest on a wire rack so the juices can come out for approx the amount of time you cooked them for

Thats it, perfect steak every time and really easy to be honest!!

Also bear in mind ribeye is about the fattiest cut of beef steak you can get - therefore you might want to cook it a tad longer than a leaner cut such as fillet to ensure the fat is rendered down a little and you get a fuller flavour

I normally eat fillet cooked blue, sirloin as rare, and ribeye as medium, T-bones are a tad harder given it's fillet and sirloin and a large bone to contend with - for those I tend to go medium rare.

Cooking for me is rubbing the streak down with olive oil, garlic puree, and pepper and leaving to rest at room temperature for 4 hours; add salt at the last minute (or it dries the meat to far) and drop into a hot pan and cook on a hot heat as I like a slightly caramelised outer but with a rare inner. Cooking time depends on the steak thickness - but around 2 mins each side works for me, then rest for 5 minutes and serve with herb crusted roast tomatoes and frites.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post

Heston also demonstrated an alternative method on his In Search of Perfection show - if I remember correctly he suggested putting the steak in the oven at 60 degrees for 20 hours, then doing the outside with a blow torch!
    I sometimes cook a large (like 1/3 of a whole one) fillet like this, I usually buy a whole untrimmed one and trim it myself. Sear it to seal, wrap tightly in cling wrap, oven at 80 degrees for an hour or two - possibly re-sear at the end.

Leaves it tender, perfectly pink but fully cooked.

Easy peasy for dinner parties and suits all tastes (except those at the ends of the spectrum) of how people tend to like their steak.

So, who has a magic recipie for cooking that perfect steak?
    1. Take one Thermapen.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    I sometimes cook a large (like 1/3 of a whole one) fillet like this, I usually buy a whole untrimmed one and trim it myself. Sear it to seal, wrap tightly in cling wrap, oven at 80 degrees for an hour or two - possibly re-sear at the end.

Leaves it tender, perfectly pink but fully cooked.

Easy peasy for dinner parties and suits all tastes (except those at the ends of the spectrum) of how people tend to like their steak.
    Well done for me. Every time I've tried it medium, even at some nice restaurants, I've been ill later. The idea of eating it blue is just a man competition thing, like who can eat the hottest chilli, IMHO, but then, each to their own.

Master
    And any steak well done is a sin!!

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    And any steak well done is a sin!!
    I don't know... I quite like them black and carcinogenic crunchy so you have to work on it a bit - like when they encase the polar bear's food in big blocks of ice at the zoo to keep them amused ;)

Master

Every time I've tried it medium, even at some nice restaurants, I've been ill later.
    Fillet does that to me - I always assumed it was too rich or something, definitely doesn't agree with me. Ribeye on the rare side of medium is however bloomin fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

I'm f$%^&* starving now!

Well done for me. Every time I've tried it medium, even at some nice restaurants, I've been ill later. The idea of eating it blue is just a man competition thing, like who can eat the hottest chilli, IMHO, but then, each to their own.
    You're not a fan of Beef carpaccio then?

Eating rare meat isn't a pissing contest, it's more tender and tastes great.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    The most important part about cooking the perfect steak from my point of view is to make sure my missus doesn't cook it. She has a finely honed nack of destroying a perfectly good steak.

I personally prefer ribeye done medium rare.....I don't see the point of cooking fillet or sirloin as they are fairly bland in comparison.I would,however,use a decent bit of fillet for carpaccio.

The idea of eating it blue is just a man competition thing, like who can eat the hottest chilli, IMHO, but then, each to their own.
    We all enjoy different things I guess, with a cut like fillet the delicate flavour is so much better if cooked blue to rare (or better still if raw in steak tartar), doesn't work for anything other than fillet mind as the fat content will be too high leaving a greasy residue and fat taste in the mouth.

For me a well done steak is for people that don't actually like steak ... dry and tasteless and in need of a strong sauce to rescue it, you can just about get away with it with ribeye due to the fat content, but when my wife asks for fillet well done I cringe at ruining such a nice cut of meat in the pan.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You're not a fan of Beef carpaccio then?

exactly, if cut properly its truly amazing

as for cooking steaks, there s no point in awaring of fire
    frying have to violent (unlike boiling)
    short timed but on highest possible heat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat View Post
    We all enjoy different things I guess, with a cut like fillet the delicate flavour is so much better if cooked blue to rare (or better still if raw in steak tartar), doesn't work for anything other than fillet mind as the fat content will be too high leaving a greasy residue and fat taste in the mouth.

For me a well done steak is for people that don't actually like steak ... dry and tasteless and in need of a strong sauce to rescue it, you can just about get away with it with ribeye due to the fat content, but when my wife asks for fillet well done I cringe at ruining such a nice cut of meat in the pan.
    But that's it. There is no better, no right way. And a well done steak tastes great and not of blood.
    My steaks are not dry.

This is how I do fillet.

Leave it out to get to room temp.
    Oil it
    Season it
    Drop it in a very hot cast iron or carbon steel pan for 15 seconds a side.
    Put the whole pan in the oven till cooked to taste. (I use about 3 to 4 mins for medium rare)
    Tip out on to a hot dinner plate and leave to rest for 5 mins
    Eat

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    This is how I do fillet.

Leave it out to get to room temp.
    Oil it
    Season it
    Drop it in a very hot cast iron or carbon steel pan for 15 seconds a side.
    Put the whole pan in the oven till cooked to taste. (I use about 3 to 4 mins for medium rare)
    Tip out on to a hot dinner plate and leave to rest for 5 mins
    Eat

Problem then is the heat is concentrated on one side only and you can end up with half your steak medium and half medium rare.

Plans for steamed fish have just been put on hold. Steak tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Problem then is the heat is concentrated on one side only and you can end up with half your steak medium and half medium rare.
    The residual heat from the pan ? seems to balance it out. I'm the first to admit I'm no cook, my stepson showed me this method, but it seems to work OK for me.

But that's it. There is no better, no right way. And a well done steak tastes great and not of blood.
    My steaks are not dry.
    That's the complex thing about steak, everyone likes it differently, and cooking method and times are dependent not only on personal tastes but also the cut of the meat and shape / thickness of the steak.

The only rule of thumb I apply is the lower the fat content the less time I cook it as for me that gives the best flavour .... and then it gets a whole lot more complex when trying to match the perfect sauce to a cut of steak

Quote Originally Posted by london lad View Post
    The residual heat from the pan ? seems to balance it out. I'm the first to admit I'm no cook, my stepson showed me this method, but it seems to work OK for me.

Yes, the residual Heat. Then the oven will continue heating the pan. Basically you wont get a good even cook.

Plus whacking it in the oven really is adding nothing to the party apart from having to mess around pre heating it.
    Last edited by alexaff; 14th April 2015 at 17:07.

Yes, the residual Heat. Then the oven will continue heating the pan. Basically you wit get a good even cook.

Plus whacking it in the oven really is adding nothing to the party apart from having to mess around pre heating it.
    OK. Time to try the pan only again maybe

With fillet, the pan to oven method then resting on a rack is the best way to ensure a consistent cook on a large bit of meat.

Here's a wee one I made last month getting a quick fry

Master
    Personally I don't use oil on rib-eye I think it has enough far running though it already.
    As has been said leave out of fridge for at least 20 mins to get to room temp, season.

Three minutes a side then check using this method.

Then add another minute per side if not at the required done-ness.

Rest five to ten mins.

Master
    Thanks everyone for the brilliant advice!

So just to confirm, after the initial "sear", I turn it straight down to a medium heat and then do the 2 mins either side, right?

Not the whole thing on full heat.

Cant wait!

Yes, the residual Heat. Then the oven will continue heating the pan. Basically you wit get a good even cook.

It depends on the size of the steak. An onglet or bavette (or a minute steak) - you may be right. With a large bone-in rib or porterhouse for two - I'd take the stove-top-to-oven approach every time.

Master
    sous vide & finish off with a blowtorch. Perfectly cooked edge to edge!

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    It depends on the size of the steak. An onglet or bavette (or a minute steak) - you may be right. With a large bone-in rib or porterhouse for two - I'd take the stove-top-to-oven approach every time.

Sorry yes but I thought we were trying to help the OP with his rib eyes.

The idea of eating it blue is just a man competition thing, like who can eat the hottest chilli, IMHO, but then, each to their own.
    Wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Right.

Sorry yes but I thought we were trying to help the OP with his rib eyes.
    Of course - no idea how big they are. Thick, apparently.

On the plus side, the stove-to-oven is relatively hassle free for the less-than-confident cook - less turning, less stress - just set a timer and have a gulp of elderflower cordial.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Of course - no idea how big they are. Thick, apparently.
    About an inch thick, I reckon

i read a article not long ago about going from oven to stove top, trying to find it but turned everything upside down but for a consistent medium rare made sense ?

found it reverse sear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

now drooling and off to butchers for some steak for tea !
    Last edited by Seamaster77; 14th April 2015 at 17:14.