closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: White Gold vs Stainless Steel

White Gold vs Stainless Steel

Chaps, might seem obvious to some and it certainly falls into the 'first world problem' category, however, I'm in the middle of a downsize of my collection and I am left with one final decision to make. The decision relates to the watch I will wear daily and I have the option of a leather banded watch with a white gold case or a stainless steel banded watch (with stainless strap).

I appreciate that white gold is going to be softer and mark more than SS; however, as someone who has never owned a gold watch, I am unsure as to just how bad it will wear.

I'm sure some of you wear white gold as your daily wearer and I'd appreciate hearing just how badly they mark. Again, I understand that this will depend on what you do whilst wearing the watch, how ham-fisted you are, etc, so for clarity I'm talking about the type of dings you get from daily wear and desk diving.

Thanks in advance.

White gold here; a quick scan of the case shows not a single mark on it, and I wear it at least a couple of days a week (for many months now). Bear in mind that precious metal watches do tend to be slimmer and a smaller diameter so they are not quite as exposed as a big SS lump!

If I wallop it on a door frame though I would expect it to mark whereas I might get away with it with an SS watch. Fingers crossed so far...

Another thing to bear in mind is not all WG is the same; many makers rhodium plate their white gold which makes it very difficult to refinish if scratched.You won't get many polishes out of it before the rhodium has gone and it looks quite yellow underneath. Worth checking whether it's white gold or white gold with rhodium plating. If it's plated, go for rose or Platinum!

Lastly the feeling... WG is a very luxurious metal, you feel the weight and warmth, you know it's there. But you may not get that feeling and if it's based on looks alone, then the difference is very minimal.

Banned
    Yellow and Rose gold here.

Tried on the white gold Sub and GMT quite heavy but looks wise I may as well have been wearing my SS sub or GMT, my yellow gold Sub is a daily wearer it picks up the odd blemish, but it's not as soft as you may think, On a recent trip to Edinburgh I discovered the Goldsmiths gold polishing cloth which is as big as a hand towel cost £5 Scotch pounds if you cut off small square's it would easily last a year.

I also have the Bi-metal sub 116613LB the yellow gold is very different to my 116618LB the gold on the bi metal stains easy with finger prints and dulls a lot quicker, the gold sub stays brighter and finger print free for longer.

The rose gold on my 197 with black Alligator strap really pops at 45mm the Panerai is a big beast and quite heavy, I am going to order the Rose gold deployant clasp but at £1600.00 I will have to wait nearer my birthday to slip that on through ( although I will get a free-be black alligator with it)

All is not gold though.

There was a SS sub on here that had a wannbe white gold look about it, the guy had put a blue dial and bezel on it, + then there are the end links which converts a SS Daytona into a white gold on leather strap look-a-like I find that a bit sad.

For me Gold has to look like Gold.

Master
    Straps on a s/s Daytona are sad?

If money were no object, I'd prefer a white gold sub with the blue dial over a regular S/S one. Perhaps it's the blue dial and bezel that's swinging it though...

I have vintage Omega Seamaster yellow gold. The watch has been used daily by my late father for years and still looks great. Each regular service include case polishing, which returns it in mint condition. Will see how it will work with my new AT 8500 SS.
    So IMHO, if you like gold go for it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    Straps on a s/s Daytona are sad?
    Yes.

Trying to make it look like something it isn't, the soul purpose of adding the end links and leather strap is to make it look like a white gold Daytona that's sad from all angels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Trying to make it look like something it isn't, the soul purpose of adding the end links and leather strap is to make it look like a white gold Daytona that's sad from all angels.
    Surely some people just like it on a strap?

I wasn't even aware that the end links/strap combination on a Daytona suggested white gold! It just looks nice to me and seems to me to be a potentially pleasant way to wear the watch.

Setting aside the Daytona debate, I've read the advice as: good quality gold may collect a few more blemishes than stainless but not so many as to rule our wearing a gold cased watch daily.

I am not rough with my watches; however, I have had a spate of catching my SS Exp 42 on various things (twice being the petrol flap of my car in the past week ) and although this isn't a regular occurrence, it did make me ponder what the impact would have been on a WG case.

Thank you for the advice.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Surely some people just like it on a strap?

I wasn't even aware that the end links/strap combination on a Daytona suggested white gold! It just looks nice to me and seems to me to be a potentially pleasant way to wear the watch.

Rolex designed the WG YG Daytona to be available on leather strap with folding clasp with the strap attaching to the solid end link which is a part of the case, the SS version end links are after market so the SS version can be adapted to look like it and take a leather strap.

Rolex don't make end link adapters for the SS Daytona.

You would have to see one to want one it wouldn't just pop into your head to have it like that.

You may as well go and buy the Rotary rip off with date at least it's 100%.

Rubber B is fine as it just looks like a Rolex on rubber.

Blog Entries
    Rolex designed the WG YG Daytona to be available on leather strap with folding clasp with the strap attaching to the solid end link which is a part of the case, the SS version end links are after market so the SS version can be adapted to look like it and take a leather strap.

You would have to see one to want one it wouldn't just pop into your head to have it like that.
    Well, I've seen this style here on TZ-UK several times but until you told me here I did not know it was a Rolex official option only for white gold Daytonas. It just looks nice to my mind. Thus I would have (and still would) happily wear a SS Daytona on a leather strap with metal end pieces with no intent to make it look like a white gold watch. The type of metal seems irrelevant to me. The metal end piece/leather strap style just seems appealing to me in and of itself on a Daytona, regardless of what Rolex decided.

Surely, a person's choice of watch strap has no affect to the authenticity of the watch. Rolex's design decisions are not the final arbiters of how a person wears their own watch, surely. :-)

But, similarly, doesn't a Rolex on a leather strap with metal end pieces look like a Rolex on a leather strap with metal end pieces?
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th April 2015 at 07:37.

Grand Master

The number of people who know that is vanishingly small, since white gold looks pretty much like steel. Also i suggest that if you're judging that hard based on two metal endlinks, something so deeply arcane, the problem is frankly with the observer, not the subject!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Yes.

surely anyone who would know that only precious metal daytonas come on leathe straps would also know that the dials are unique aswell,

so a s/s daytona on a leather strap is going to look exactly like that, a s/s daytona on leather

I discovered the Goldsmiths gold polishing cloth which is as big as a hand towel cost £5 Scotch pounds if you cut off small square's it would easily last a year.
    Tell me more - what is the difference between this and a Cape Cod for example? Less abrasive? Still soaked in solvent?

Steel Daytonæ on straps have some effect on the soul that saddens angels!? Ah — no wonder it's such a serious issue! ;)

We're unlucky that the 'better' metal is the most expensive.

Master
    I don't have any problem with gold and it doesn't get damaged any easier than steel. What you will find is that the polished surfaces will pick up marks more easily, but such is nature of gold.

Grand Master
    +1, I`ve never been a fan of white gold watches but I`m happy with yellow or rose gold.

Everyday wearer means all things to all people. Only the OP can decide whether a gold watch is suitable for him as a daily wearer. Gold does scratch more easily, and an inpact will do more damage because it's much softer than steel.

The points re. rhodium plating are very valid too.

Paul

Yes.

Is it? I thought the purpose of putting a watch on a leather strap, is, well, to have a watch on a leather strap.
    I'm sorry to hear that the angels would be upset by such a trivial thing, guess it makes the devils happy though

Journeyman
    Rhodium plated white gold looks very similar to steel. A high end steel piece would look just as good as a white gold one on the wrist. I'd say just get the watch you like, in the budget that you have, and be happy - don't worry about the metal choice.

There was a picture of an old rare Patek Nautilus in white gold, where the owner had polished away all the rhodium, and the watch was scratched to bits. I quite like the champagne look to it, and it looks well used and loved. If you don't like scratches I'd say stay away from white gold.

Disclaimer though, I've never had a white gold watch, but I have tried on pieces before.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Tell me more - what is the difference between this and a Cape Cod for example? Less abrasive? Still soaked in solvent?
    Much less abrasive and hardly any solvent if any, a quick rub over then a wash and it gleams, I don't mind using cape cod but it's messy and I would only use it for proper scratches on specific areas, with the goldsmiths one you can just polish away without the fear of removing any of the brushed finish on the bracelet, but I am still careful to use it only on the centre links,it much more forgiving.

Angles to you all thanks for picking that one up and kicking it around a bit.

The SS steel and leather is a personal opinion that's all folks,

Quote Originally Posted by medicat View Post
    Rhodium plated white gold looks very similar to steel.
    In the same way a Rolex Submariner looks very similar to a Seiko SKX007, sure.

A high end steel piece would look just as good as a white gold one on the wrist. I'd say just get the watch you like, in the budget that you have, and be happy - don't worry about the metal choice.
    The problem with that is that many WG watches aren't also available in steel - certainly not the one the OP is looking at. Therefore the choice of metal you are advising not to worry about may define the existence of the watch.

Disclaimer though, I've never had a white gold watch, but I have tried on pieces before.
    Ah, you've tried them on. Good, good.

- - - Updated - - -

Much less abrasive and hardly any solvent if any, a quick rub over then a wash and it gleams, I don't mind using cape cod but it's messy and I would only use it for proper scratches on specific areas, with the goldsmiths one you can just polish away without the fear of removing any of the brushed finish on the bracelet, but I am still careful to use it only on the centre links,it much more forgiving.
    Ta very much, will look out for it!

Journeyman
    In the same way a Rolex Submariner looks very similar to a Seiko SKX007, sure.

The problem with that is that many WG watches aren't also available in steel - certainly not the one the OP is looking at. Therefore the choice of metal you are advising not to worry about may define the existence of the watch.

Ah, you've tried them on. Good, good.
    Why do you make it your business to be rude? I'm sorry if my opinion offends you. I don't know as much as you about watches, obviously, but calling me out on it is rude, pretentious and immature.

Are you suggesting that you own so many white gold watches that your opinion on how something looks automatically nullifies mine? Are my eyes objectively inferior to yours?

Your sarcasm is not appreciated.
    Last edited by medicat; 14th April 2015 at 17:20.

Yellow and Rose gold here.

Tried on the white gold Sub and GMT quite heavy but looks wise I may as well have been wearing my SS sub or GMT, my yellow gold Sub is a daily wearer it picks up the odd blemish, but it's not as soft as you may think, On a recent trip to Edinburgh I discovered the Goldsmiths gold polishing cloth which is as big as a hand towel cost £5 Scotch pounds if you cut off small square's it would easily last a year.

I also have the Bi-metal sub 116613LB the yellow gold is very different to my 116618LB the gold on the bi metal stains easy with finger prints and dulls a lot quicker, the gold sub stays brighter and finger print free for longer.

The rose gold on my 197 with black Alligator strap really pops at 45mm the Panerai is a big beast and quite heavy, I am going to order the Rose gold deployant clasp but at £1600.00 I will have to wait nearer my birthday to slip that on through ( although I will get a free-be black alligator with it)

All is not gold though.

There was a SS sub on here that had a wannbe white gold look about it, the guy had put a blue dial and bezel on it, + then there are the end links which converts a SS Daytona into a white gold on leather strap look-a-like I find that a bit sad.

That sounds 'cheap' for the deployment, I have just been quoted £3800 by zenith for a 18k rose gold deployment for my watch!! I don't think I'll be taking that one up!

I like the idea of a white gold watch, it's got that feel of only those in the know know what it is...

My daily wearer is the rose gold zenith at the moment, I love it, but I am a little conscious of it...I think white gold would be perfect, the luxury of gold, just more subtle

Well, I managed to put quite a few minor dings on the bezel of my WG Daytona in a matter of weeks. So, for me, it's steel all the way. Not to say SS doesn't mark, it just doesn't mark anywhere as easily.

In balance, my bint nabbed it and hasn't added a single mark since, that's oh six years now.

There's a moral to this story!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysagood View Post
    That sounds 'cheap' for the deployment, I have just been quoted £3800 by zenith for a 18k rose gold deployment for my watch!! I don't think I'll be taking that one up!

I like the idea of a white gold watch, it's got that feel of only those in the know know what it is...

My daily wearer is the rose gold zenith at the moment, I love it, but I am a little conscious of it...I think white gold would be perfect, the luxury of gold, just more subtle

Bloody hell £3800.00 I would check another AD. TBH I expected that price for the Panerai when my AD checked he asked me to guess I must admit I started at £3K.

Your sarcasm is not appreciated.
    It isn't supposed to be, that is the point of it. Here's a tip - stop espousing your opinions as fact.

Is it so hard to believe that me owning white gold watches means I have more experience of them than you, who has tried them on?

Journeyman
    It isn't supposed to be, that is the point of it. Here's a tip - stop espousing your opinions as fact.

Is it so hard to believe that me owning white gold watches means I have more experience of them than you, who has tried them on?
    Here's a tip - you can disagree with someone without being an ass.

I never claimed that my opinion is fact, and I apologize if I came off that way. I thought this forum was meant for discussion and opinion.

I do agree with you that your opinion is probably much more valid than mine. So what? Isn't their value in looking at both someone who's owned and someone who hasn't owned a white gold piece?

The OP can decide who to listen to, and even better yet, go look at watches himself.

I realize that I may have sounded arrogant in text, and I apologize. Please, be a gentleman and stop attacking my opinion
    Last edited by medicat; 15th April 2015 at 13:38.

It also depends on the type of finishing on the watch. Different brushed or polished surfaces will show different traces of wear and scratches more easily.

For instance, I find that many of my gold watches with polished surfaces attract many hairline scratches, but they cannot normally been seen unless under strong lighting. For the brushed finishes, scratches will usually disrupt the brushed lines, thus making scratches more visible.

So not OK to put a Daytona on leather because they only use that on a White Gold watch, but OK to put it on Rubber because they only use that on a Rose Gold watch?

Just put your watch on what ever strap you most prefer it on.

Here's a photo I took trying to comparing the difference in colour between white gold and steel.

If we're talking same model/case, I would think WG is close to twice as heavy as SS? I've held a friends yellow gold Datejust which looks and wears pretty small at 36mm but it weighs as much as a "regular" 40-42mm. I would assume the gold submariners or daytona should be pretty heavy, to the point of being an issue for smaller wristed folk.

Master
    I don't own a gold watch, but I would have thought part of the attraction of gold is that it picks up a "texture" through wear that gives it a warm feel.

Difficult to explain, and I'm not describing it very well, but I have a 24k gold wedding ring (99% gold, german) which very quickly picked up a "patina" of wear and has a wonderful warm, worn look about it.

Obviously if that's what you get with a gold watch then it's not going to do wonders for it's resale value, but it sounds like the OP is after a keeper anyway.

I imagine a Rolex President Day-Date would look fabulous with that sort of patina.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    I imagine a Rolex President Day-Date would look fabulous with that sort of patina.
    HTH.

I bought this watch around 1977 and wore it on a daily basis for over 30 years. The photos were taken recently and though I would never describe it as mint, it wears the patina of its age without detriment to the ownership experience. Generally I prefer watches in rose gold on a leather strap but for a bracelet white gold works better as it looks less “gold” and generally passes at a casual glance for steel.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
    HTH.

I bought this watch around 1977 and wore it on a daily basis for over 30 years. The photos were taken recently and though I would never describe it as mint, it wears the patina of its age without detriment to the ownership experience. Generally I prefer watches in rose gold on a leather strap but for a bracelet white gold works better as it looks less “gold” and generally passes at a casual glance for steel.
    Amazing watch. Should put an end to the "gold is too soft"-brigade, but probably wont...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lowndes View Post

Lovely. Makes me seriously tempted to sell the lot, buy a DD40 in WG and leave it at that.