closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the JLC Reverso?

Master

Thoughts on the JLC Reverso?

It's a watch I've always disliked but lately, after spotting one version that caught my attention, they've been on my radar a bit more. I'm talking about the slightly larger versions which tend to measure around 47mm tall x 28mm diameter. I'm yet to physically try one but I wondered what your opinions of this watch are in 2015, and if you own one, please feel free to post your ownership views + pics :-)

Two models I like are the Duo (white/black or blue/white) and the 1931 Tribute models.

It's one of those I drool over (must have front and reverse dials) but will never own as the cost of servicing is out of my reach, as it is for all the better watches.

I have this RG and black steel and like it a lot.
    So far a trouble free ownership experience

Reverso Grande Reserve 8-day manual wind in rose gold. Jumping power reserve indicator on the reverse side:

Craftsman

I have the original Tribute to 1931 Reverso U.S. Edition...

...with the black Casa Fagliano strap, and I love it:

For years I wanted a Reverso, but it was always a case of too much this, not enough that, etc. Simply put, there were too many choices, none of which pushed every button for me. Until the TTR 1931 was released, that is.

The moment I set my eyes on it, I knew that I had finally found "my" Reverso. It was slim, time-only, manual-wind, generously lumed and it sported a solid caseback for engraving. It was perfect. Or so I thought. Then they dropped the US Edition on us, with its syringe hands, aged lume, perfectly replicated "Reverso" font and delightful Casa Fagliano cordovan leather strap...

Boom, as they say.

Regards,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    It's one of those I drool over (must have front and reverse dials) but will never own as the cost of servicing is out of my reach, as it is for all the better watches.
    There also seems to have been a few horror stories on TZ about their service department.

I've asked the same question before as I think they look lovely, but every one I've tried on for some reason fails to look right.

Journeyman
    I would definitely get the duoface version, otherwise I don't see the point of a reversing watch.

Though, If I had a reverso, I would constantly be playing with the mechanism, and enjoying every minute of it.

Master
    Three weeks ago my wife and I went to Cardiff to WOS to look at a Reverso each.

She came away with one, I did not, IMHO it had no 'presence' on my wrist.

However, this from Crouch won the day, it does have a 'presence' on my wrist.

image by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Reverso Grande Reserve 8-day manual wind in rose gold. Jumping power reserve indicator on the reverse side:

My old watch I assume - based on the fact I have never seen another!

First dibs please if you need to move it on...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by medicat View Post
    I would definitely get the duoface version, otherwise I don't see the point of a reversing watch.
    Then you have misunderstood the point of the Reverso.

Master
    the Reverso is one of those pieces that I greatly admire but wouldn't find myself wearing due to my tastes

Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    Its a lovely looking watch, but looks huge in this photo, sorry

I'm not too keen on the modern sporty ones,
    But I think the traditional styles like the 1931 are absolutely beautiful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craniotes View Post
    ...with the black Casa Fagliano strap, and I love it:

For years I wanted a Reverso, but it was always a case of too much this, not enough that, etc. Simply put, there were too many choices, none of which pushed every button for me. Until the TTR 1931 was released, that is.

The moment I set my eyes on it, I knew that I had finally found "my" Reverso. It was slim, time-only, manual-wind, generously lumed and it sported a solid caseback for engraving. It was perfect. Or so I thought. Then they dropped the US Edition on us, with its syringe hands, aged lume, perfectly replicated "Reverso" font and delightful Casa Fagliano cordovan leather strap...

Boom, as they say.

Regards,
    Adam
    That's the very model that caught my eye. You Americans were lucky there!!

I I think I need to try a couple on as they look like they appear to wear "large", and ionly have a child's wrists!! :-D

I had grande reverso 976 - same as the large size duo you are looking at. It was a great looking watch with loads of character and oozed class. My wrists are 7.25 inches and it wore a little big. Although the case size doesn't sound large, it's shape does make it tricky to find a sweet spot on your wrist- a flat wrist helps! Some day I'll go back to one but I think I'd go for the slightly smaller Grand Taille size, the Duo.

They are a bit 'marmite' but this is one I've always hankered after. One was on SC for a while but I didn't have the dosh (and don't now unfortunately...)

Pictures borrowed from the web...

A
    Last edited by AlistairD; 13th April 2015 at 16:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I had grande reverso 976 - same as the large size duo you are looking at. It was a great looking watch with loads of character and oozed class. My wrists are 7.25 inches and it wore a little big. Although the case size doesn't sound large, it's shape does make it tricky to find a sweet spot on your wrist- a flat wrist helps! Some day I'll go back to one but I think I'd go for the slightly smaller Grand Taille size, the Duo.
    That sounds an issue. I have a smaller wrist so I reckon it could well be too big for me.

Master
    I adore the Reversos (except for the Squadra which I can't really get my head around) and one will definitely be close to the top of my list for the next acquisition. As with many of the above it is the 1931 and the duoface watches that tickle my kidneys - but that gold one with the power reserve on the rear that was on SC...... my god I wanted that so much, but was out of my range for the moment.

I was in Mappin & Webb a few weeks back as JLC are refurbishing their store and they have rented space, to try on some reverso's as one of the variants will be my next purchase.

In the end it came down to a grande reverso duo ultra thin and the 986 grande reverso duo. They both have an entirely different feel and, unsurprisingly, look on my wrist. The 986 looked imposing and it was like you could feel where each £1 was - very solid. The GUT looked better IMO but just didn't sit on my wrist as well even though it was smaller and thinner.

I will be going back to have another 'fitting' to make my mind up for certain.
    Last edited by Strnglwhank; 13th April 2015 at 16:02.

I hate using the word icon, but the Reverso qualifies. An exquisite example of art deco design.

However the modern ones, as it ever is with these things, has cluttered and complicated it until it has become something it was never meant to be.

Plus, if it's one of the more modest examples (see the Tribute above) it's one of the few watches that manages to pull off the trick of being supremely elegant for both men and women.

Master
    I really don't like the Reverso one little bit – there's something hugely effeminate about it.
    The GO Karree doesn't oddly, even though it's a tonneau too, nor the Hysek Kilada either.
    Last edited by PJ S; 14th April 2015 at 10:49.

I appreciated the technology but really don't like the watch!!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Its a lovely looking watch, but looks huge in this photo, sorry
    Probably because it's a close-up photo with an iPhone and a 6.25" wrist!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    I really don't like the Reverso one little bit – there's something hugely effeminate about it.
    The GO Karree doesn't oddly, even though it's a tonneau too, nor the Hysek Kilida either.
    I agree for the most part which is why the grande reverso's are the only ones I would consider.

Master
    Never one to temper taking a risk or trying new things but I honestly don't think the reverso is you, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    The GO Karree doesn't oddly, even though it's a tonneau too, nor the Hysek Kilida either.
    Hmm, interesting you mention Hysek Kilada.
    I have a weakness for the Kilada automatic chrono graphs. I know not many here would appreciate those.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Hmm, interesting you mention Hysek Kilada.
    I have a weakness for the Kilada automatic chronographs. I know not many here would appreciate those.
    https://www.chrono24.com/en/jorghyse...-id2833135.htm – get it bought!

I owned it next and I have slightly smaller wrists so it didn't stay long. If I'd bought a Grand Taille, then I might still have it. They are beautiful watches, superbly built and designed. Sadly, as daveyw says, they need to sit correctly which means you need the correct shape wrist for them to work. At least that was my story. It just didn't sit right...

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I have this RG and black steel and like it a lot.
    So far a trouble free ownership experience
    Wow love that.. I've never been that keen on them but this is very nice

Master
    Thanks all. I'm heading past a JLC boutique tomorrow possibly so I'll try some on and see what I think. Very different from anything I've owned so I'm not going to jump in straight away.

Tried on the ultra thin duoface, which would be my choice. Minimal classic design.
    Great review here:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-o...face-live-pics

Quote Originally Posted by GMT2 View Post
    Tried on the ultra thin duoface, which would be my choice. Minimal classic design.
    Great review here:

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hands-o...face-live-pics
    That is a stunner.

I've had a few of these over the years. The RG and WG sun/moon were my favourites. I can say that when I went to conferences at work, it was the watch everyone wanted to try on! I'm sure I can dig out a pic from somewhere.

Journeyman

I too have one of those. My wrist is about 7 inches, but it seems to fit perfectly. The watch is beautiful to look at and I agree about the character and quality of the finish. It a keeper for me!

Master
    Tried one, want one...

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    It's a watch I've always disliked but lately, after spotting one version that caught my attention, they've been on my radar a bit more. I'm talking about the slightly larger versions which tend to measure around 47mm tall x 28mm diameter. I'm yet to physically try one but I wondered what your opinions of this watch are in 2015, and if you own one, please feel free to post your ownership views + pics :-)

Two models I like are the Duo (white/black or blue/white) and the 1931 Tribute models.
    You may want to wait until next January as the reverso line is to be changed.

Tried one, want one...

They do have that effect on you in the flesh. Very nice choice if you do buy. Good luck

I've always wanted one of the Memory versions.

Normal face on one side, and a 60 min counter on the other side which is reset by the side button.

Journeyman
    Have always wanted to love this watch- idea/engineering is fantastic and JLC is great brand- but for some reason don't like it.

Tried one, want one...

This is the one that appealed to me from the collection the AD had in stock, the others I found the case a bit too thick for my liking. How did you find the day/night face?

After much deliberation I chose...

...and I'm delighted.

looks a beauty. Congratulations.

Lovely... I so badly wanted a 1931 tribute model (preferably the US edition) but having tiny wrists means it is a no-go. Definitely one of those watches that you have to try all the sizes to get the right fit.

We are definitely a Reverso household - my wife wears the lady model, and here are my three:

Very intrigued as to what changes to the range will emerge from LeSentier next year as per the rumors..
    Last edited by secretsquirrel; 22nd September 2015 at 17:59.

Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
    Very intrigued as to what changes to the range will emerge from Le-Sentier next year as per the rumors..
    Ooh - what have I missed there then? You have a great collection there btw.
    Last edited by Strnglwhank; 22nd September 2015 at 18:01.

looks a beauty. Congratulations.
    Thank you. I did fancy the US version but then I thought better of it. I am sourcing a Casa Fagliano in brown though as I don't rate the standard strap much.

Have never seen one of these in the wild. The Duoface appeals but it is way down a long list of watches to try for me. You need the right shaped wrist for these though (as some of the photos demonstrate in a not very nice way).

Craftsman
    I really like the Reverso, but try before buy (especially if you go with the bigger), the squared case really looks strange on some.

Lovely dials (mostly) but the case looks a bit blingy to me with all the polished metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    Ooh - what have I missed there then? You have a great collection there btw.
    Thanks! :)

Re:changes- https://www.hodinkee.com/blog/five-t...o-daniel-riedo

There is part of me that would love them to do a model with a reverse face like this concept:

Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
    Oh no, as someone that thinks he has finally decided on what Reverso to buy after numerous try ons in ADs, the Ultra Thin Duo, the last thing I want to hear is that there is radical change for next year!!!