closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Looking After Rolex DateJust

Craftsman

Looking After Rolex DateJust

Hi there,

I'm lucky enough to have recently acquired a Rolex DateJust I, 116200. It's beautiful. Just want some tips about dealing with wear and tear as I want to wear it and enjoy it and not babysit the watch.

Previously all my watches have been beaters: Casio particularly G-Shocks and a Sinn U1. I wanted something more classy and every day. I'm just going to use it and wear it. For people with more experience of watches how does a watch like this age? I mean will I need to send it for a touch up and bracelet polish after a few years? There's a lot of talk about bracelet stretch so do you keep the original one or order a new one when the bracelet stretches; how long does this "stretch" take before it's a concern? When the bracelet gets very marked and the crystal marked would you guys just send it in for servicing and replacement parts... Sorry for the very noddy questions but not had to think about this before. I just want to know how to care for it going forward without sticking it in an safe and just looking at it :)

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Master
    And lovely watches they are too.

The 36 mm Datejust just does not get enough love imho. But I am biased as I am fortunate enough to own more than one.

Did you buy it new or used? I had a lovely 116200 with blue dial and roulette date wheel but sold it on here to help fund my 116231.

I bought my 116231 new and wear it often but sparingly.
    My 16233 and 16234 were bought second hand and get worn for everything and anything. They both look remarkably good. My 16233 has a fair bit of stretch at 20-odd years old but you can't tell when on the wrist. The 16234 at over 10 years old has none that I can see.

Just wear it and enjoy it.

They're pretty hardy and most marks can be polished out if you're so inclined, but knocks and scuffs add character and your own history.

Depending on age, you might want to get it pressue tested though if you intend to wear it swimming etc.

Which bracelet is it on?
    Jubilee or Oyster?
    The former does stretch quite quickly over a couple of years, they can be either replaced or repaired.
    The latter doesn't suffer from stretch anywhere near as badly, I still have the original Oyster bracelet on my Submariner-Date, apart from the clasp had worn the rest is still ok after 19 years of use.

Servicing is the key, Rolex say evert 5 years, many say not until there's an issue, I'm in the latter camp, 19yr old watch, serviced twice. After service they come back like new too. Not everyone's flavour, but I like that.

Master
    My dad has an Airking date bought from new 1976, he has worn it every day since been to hell and back, joinery, brickwork etc...
    My dad just treats it as a watch nothing more, he has swam in it every year and it's had two services! Not something i would recommend, but hey it's his watch.The watch came back recently from Duncan at Genesis like new, I asked about the condition internally because of only having two services throughout its life but was told nothing of concern.
    What I'm trying to say is just wear it as they must be tough watches.

Craftsman
    Thanks so much for the advice chaps. I'd hoped to treat it like any other watch, but it's very different from the watches I'm used to so wanted to do a quick sanity check. I got it on an oyster bracelet as I prefer this for a slightly more sporty modern look. I've borrowed this pic from Google - mine is similar to this one. I got the small size 36mm as I'm skinny and tall:

Blown away by how lovely it is. Really a very different experience from wearing my Sinn. I love the fact that it's sleek and classy and very discrete too, yet very versatile and wears nicely with jeans and a t-shirt as well as more formal settings.

Master
    That indeed is a beauty one of their finest Imo.
    Enjoy it!
    Last edited by barryw; 10th April 2015 at 14:25.

Grand Master
    A lot of it is common sense; don`t get the watch scratched excessively and it's appearance won`t deteriorate. Get into the habit of removing it when working with your hands. Damage can happen when you least expect it; I scratched a watch loading a wheelchair into my car boot when my wife broke her ankle a few years ago.......with the best will in the world a watch can still pick up damage.

Stretch in the bracelet has nothing to do with stretching! It's a term that describes the 'stretched' appearance when the pins and links wear, causeing the gaps between the links to increase slightly. The exception is the older-style jubilees with gold centre links; they can actually flatten if the watch is worn tight. The more recent (post 2006) version is much stronger in this respect.

Stretch can be avoided by keeping the bracelet clean. Wash it every few weeks with warm detergent and try to get the dirt out from the links. That's what causes the wear. If the watch is too loose there's more movement in the links and the wear rate is faster.

The polished parts of the watch will show every fine scratch......you have to accept that or spend time using a fine polish to take the scratches out routinely. Frankly I wouldn`t bother, or maybe do this once/year.

Enjoy the watch; look after in carefully but don`t become too obsessed with caring for it.

Paul

Craftsman
    ^^ always enjoy reading your posts Paul always sensible and knowledgeable comments.

Dan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    ^^ always enjoy reading your posts Paul always sensible and knowledgeable comments.

Dan.
    +1

I echo the comments about Pauls advice.

Jeepie, I would just say to you wear it and enjoy it. Its a watch, not a mummy - its not for wrapping up and keeping in a container.

The best thing about your posts, though, is the enthusiasm for the watch that they so loudly convey. Exactly what making such a purchase should bring.

Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post

Dan.
    +3

Walkerwek's post are always informative.

I wore a bi-metal Datejust every day from 1982 until 1998. I never had it serviced, and it kept great time for all those years. The bracelet stretched a lot though, which counted against it when I traded it for a Y/G Day-Date. The problem with the Day-Date is it is too blingy for daily wear. So I rarely wear it.

If I was in the market for another (non sports) Rolex I would choose a S/S Datejust.

That's the one that got sold on SC a couple of weeks ago I suspect. I'd be happy to look after it for you if you're worried at all?

Craftsman
    I've got a stainless steel Datejust on a jubilee bracelet (16030).
    The bracelet is a bit stretched but it doesn't show when you're wearing the watch.

It's scratched and dented and I like that. It shows that it has stood up to what was required of it.

Rolex isn't the biggest name in watches because it has a ring to it - they are designed as tough, everyday watches to cope with everything you encounter day to day. I wouldn't worry about it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    A lot of it is common sense; don`t get the watch scratched excessively and it's appearance won`t deteriorate. Get into the habit of removing it when working with your hands. Damage can happen when you least expect it; I scratched a watch loading a wheelchair into my car boot when my wife broke her ankle a few years ago.......with the best will in the world a watch can still pick up damage.

Stretch in the bracelet has nothing to do with stretching! It's a term that describes the 'stretched' appearance when the pins and links wear, causeing the gaps between the links to increase slightly. The exception is the older-style jubilees with gold centre links; they can actually flatten if the watch is worn tight. The more recent (post 2006) version is much stronger in this respect.

Stretch can be avoided by keeping the bracelet clean. Wash it every few weeks with warm detergent and try to get the dirt out from the links. That's what causes the wear. If the watch is too loose there's more movement in the links and the wear rate is faster.

The polished parts of the watch will show every fine scratch......you have to accept that or spend time using a fine polish to take the scratches out routinely. Frankly I wouldn`t bother, or maybe do this once/year.

Enjoy the watch; look after in carefully but don`t become too obsessed with caring for it.

Paul

Great advice, i'm guilty of not washing bracelets

Master
    DJs are like tanks. They're the under the radar beater that takes anything you throw at it, laughs and shrugs it off but still looks the business with a shirt and tie. I wore one pretty much daily for about 10 years from the age of 18 and the madness that watch saw would kill many a "tool watch". It was never serviced in that time and never missed a beat until some c**t stole it in a burglary. As with anything, if you batter it it will deteriorate, but that's just down to how careful you want to be.
    Last edited by cmcm3; 10th April 2015 at 18:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Great advice, i'm guilty of not washing bracelets
    Just wear it in the shower.

Master
    I have a 116200 mate, love it, it was my first real watch. Mine's on a jubilee rather than oyster which tend to stretch quicker than oysters and after 7 years there's absolutely no indication of it. I wash it with warm water with the tiniest dash of washing up fluid and the whole watch is gone over with a kiddie toothbrush. Works a treat. Wear and enjoy and don't worry about it, otherwise what's the point in wearing it.

Craftsman
    Huge thanks to everyone that's replied. Lots of very informative and helpful detail. It definitely a buzz to share my excitement for the watch and I'm pleased to learn from your experience. Have a great weekend all!

I have a 5513 Sub with a well-stretched oyster 93150 and perversely, for me, I prefer it as it's very, very comfy. I like to wear it fairly loose (couple of fingers insertion space) and it's great for that. I also have a U1 on rubber and its a very different wearing experience but equally as comfy. My 5513 is semi-retired and kept for special occasions, plus I intend passing it on to my kids.

I would suggest keeping the Rolex for office/semi-formal occaisions, U1 for casual and G Shock for gardening/DIY. You will get swirlies, scratches and small dings on the Rolex, even with office wear, do not beat yourself up or worry about it, it's good honest wear and tear. If I was buying a watch, I'd personally prefer an 'honest' daily wearer than a pristine safe queen with a sporadically used movement but, hey, that's just me...

Grand Master
    The smooth bezel/Oyster bracelet combo is the most practical for everyday wear. Every surface can be refinished without too much trouble. The fluted bezels can be a problem because the gold is relatively easy to damage and can`t be refinished. After a hard life the peaks on the bezel loose sharpness and they don`t look great. Replacement bezels are expensive; gold + Rolex is never going to be cheap.

As for wearing watches in showers, I wouldn`t.

Paul

Don't wear it!! Stretch is a killer on these!!

Box it up and leave it there!!

It really isn't worth the risk!!

Do you own it or does it own you? ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Do you own it or does it own you? ;)
    I'm lucky to own it and so want to look after it; that's all. I intend to wear it most days when I'm not doing sport or rough stuff. Have no fear.... Just interested in people's experiences and happy to take whatever risks are reasonable. Interesting points about wearing it in a shower for example.... All adding to my knowledge so all good! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I'm lucky to own it and so want to look after it; that's all. I intend to wear it most days when I'm not doing sport or rough stuff. Have no fear.... Just interested in people's experiences and happy to take whatever risks are reasonable. Interesting points about wearing it in a shower for example.... All adding to my knowledge so all good! Cheers
    Enjoy owning and wearing it.

Jockes seems to come out just fine after it's yearly bath, so just wear it and enjoy it:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=dirty

Mark

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    The smooth bezel/Oyster bracelet combo is the most practical for everyday wear. Every surface can be refinished without too much trouble. The fluted bezels can be a problem because the gold is relatively easy to damage and can`t be refinished. After a hard life the peaks on the bezel loose sharpness and they don`t look great. Replacement bezels are expensive; gold + Rolex is never going to be cheap.

As for wearing watches in showers, I wouldn`t.

Paul

Irrelevant, but what do we call this bezel?

Not the same as the normal fluted one and made of stainless steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Irrelevant, but what do we call this bezel?

Not the same as the normal fluted one and made of stainless steel.

Turned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    DJs are like tanks. I wore one pretty much daily for about 10 years from the age of 18 and the madness that watch saw would kill many a "tool watch".
    Don't tell us half the story! Give us more details!

Just keep it serviced and enjoy wearing it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Thanks so much for the advice chaps. I'd hoped to treat it like any other watch, but it's very different from the watches I'm used to so wanted to do a quick sanity check. I got it on an oyster bracelet as I prefer this for a slightly more sporty modern look. I've borrowed this pic from Google - mine is similar to this one. I got the small size 36mm as I'm skinny and tall:

Blown away by how lovely it is. Really a very different experience from wearing my Sinn. I love the fact that it's sleek and classy and very discrete too, yet very versatile and wears nicely with jeans and a t-shirt as well as more formal settings.
    FWIW......The silver dialed version has 'black' date letters, the 'white' dialed version alternates between red and black......Well, I never.
    Congrats Greg, beautiful watch....BTW?
    Last edited by Dave in Wales; 11th April 2015 at 12:12.

Craftsman
    Certainly is a cracker Dave I'm lovin' in!

I bought my Datejust new in 1984 and wore it 24/7 for the next 20 years, until I came to this madhouse. That time included every shift as a wholetime firefighter, cycling, running, swimming etc etc. Keeping it clean.........wore it in the shower and gave it a rinse under the shower head. Serviced twice in that time and no problems to report. It's the most accurate mechanical watch I own. Usually on the original Jubilee, but here on a Rios Juchten Leder strap......

Last edited by magirus; 11th April 2015 at 14:21.
    F.T.F.A.

Fluted or turned bezels can be refinished, but not many people can do it, but it is easy once you are setup for it, but it requires a lathe setup for wheel cutting or a milling machine with indexing.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I bought my Datejust new in 1984 and wore it 24/7 for the next 20 years, until I came to this madhouse. That time included every shift as a wholetime firefighter, cycling, running, swimming etc etc. Keeping it clean.........wore it in the shower and gave it a rinse under the shower head. Serviced twice in that time and no problems to report. It's the most accurate mechanical watch I own. Usually on the original Jubilee, but here on a Rios Juchten Leder strap......

As it should be, it's a blooming watch not the Crown Jewels as some would lead us to believe.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dom_ View Post
    Fluted or turned bezels can be refinished, but not many people can do it, but it is easy once you are setup for it, but it requires a lathe setup for wheel cutting or a milling machine with indexing.
    I didn`t know that, I thought they had to be replaced when they got battered or worn. Do you know anyone who offers this service?

Paul