closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DE shaver recommendation

Thomas Reid
    I use a Parker 29L. I like the butterfly design, and a really long handle. It is their "unisex" model. :)

I use Savon de Marseille (Marseille Soap). Great stuff. On a recent trip I used it for body soap, shampoo, shave cream and to wash a spot out of some trousers.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I'm in no doubt that you're correct. I need a blade that's more forgiving with sloppy shaving ;-)
    Derby Extra are more forgiving and can be bought dirt cheep. Drop me a PM if you want to try a pack?

I took this plunge...

After reading this thread I decided to get back into DE shaving after about 27 years. I reckon this gets my shaving bill down by 90% thanks to the super low cost when buying bulk online.

So I bought the dreaded Muhle R41 and I had a crack off it this evening with the blade it is supplied with (Branded Muhle; possibly an Astra ?).

It is a bit aggressive but in no way worthy of some of the scary youtube reviews.

My face is properly smooth right now, I actually look bloody younger the missus says, Gillette wasted an awful lot of money on the R&D of the Mach3.

Anyway heres a crappy pic 'Razor.jpg' (taken on a crappy mobile phone) and theres a 40mm Explorer ii watch next to the razor for size comparison. Pic is crap so I linked in another pic of the razor below.

Can I ask... What blades would you try first ? Feathers, Personnas, 2types of 7'o'clocks, Astras, Derbys or Solingen Timors...????

Razor.jpg

Last edited by TimeThoughts; 29th April 2015 at 22:41.

Try a test pack from Connaught Shaving. Blades are a personal thing. I settled on 7oclocks using the £12 Feather razor.Very smooth shave for me (Erasmic Cream).

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    After reading this thread I decided to get back into DE shaving after about 27 years. I reckon this gets my shaving bill down by 90% thanks to the super low cost when buying bulk online.

So I bought the dreaded Muhle R41 and I had a crack off it this evening with the blade it is supplied with (Branded Muhle; possibly an Astra ?).

It is a bit aggressive but in no way worthy of some of the scary youtube reviews.

My face is properly smooth right now, I actually look bloody younger the missus says, Gillette wasted an awful lot of money on the R&D of the Mach3.

Anyway heres a crappy pic 'Razor.jpg' (taken on a crappy mobile phone) and theres a 40mm Explorer ii watch next to the razor for size comparison. Pic is crap so I linked in another pic of the razor below.

Can I ask... What blades would you try first ? Feathers, Personnas, 2types of 7'o'clocks, Astras, Derbys or Solingen Timors...????

Razor.jpg

Great choice of Razor it sounds like you are well on the way to dong well with it. From you blades I would try the Astra first, I find these to be very good and very keenly priced. All the blades will work fine with the R41 but some may feel different, i don't get on with the yellow gillette but love the greens. A bit of trail and error and you will soon find a go to combination.

Best of luck and happy shaving.

Journeyman
    I got a Webber handle for the Muhle head. Love it and haven't used anything else for a couple of years.

I use a Merkur 34C with feather blades and i have for a few years now

I cant ever see me changing

Master
    A vintage Gillette + restoration may seem expensive but work it out over the years of use you will get out of it and it seem more affordable.

Plus you get the pleasure of using a fantastic piece of shaving history!

Yes I have a fat-boy and a slim adjustable, and some others the wife doesn't know about :-)

I've been switching between a Jagger with Astra Platinums and straight razors for almost a year. Will never go back to cartridge razors now :-)

Journeyman
    My late grandfathers shaving kit is going to be passed over to me next time I visit my grandmother and I`m thinking of having it reconditioned so I can use it as my first DE razor.

Does anyone know what kind of work is required for restoring an old razor and where to find parts for a 50+ year old razor?

Is it worth reconditioning if its not a Gillete?

Master
    See post 11, forum member hippo may be able to help with reconditioning.

Master
    I switched to DE shaving a few years ago and never looked back. I have stuck with ToOBS and palmolive cream and Astra SP, Feather and Iridium (when i can get them) blades in my Edwin Jagger razor.
    I'd love a birth year razor though but finding one is tough...

Journeyman
    l missed the link on that post. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    See post 11, forum member hippo may be able to help with reconditioning.

Feather blades all the way for my bristle :) - can be lethal on the first couple of shaves so I try to take it easy.

Currently using the Feather ASD2 razor which works very nicely with the blades - also have a built my own - a Ikon head with a US heavyweight handle by Above the Tie - works a treat when I have not bothered to shave for a few days.

Been using them for years now - never looked back and I think I am still working through the first bulk buy of blades I did. Cheap feather blades can be got from ebay - sellers are in Thailand but seem pretty reliable and cheap :)

I did try a straight razor for a while but that was just too much hassle with the stroping etc etc - that and the fact it felt like one slip would end it all !

cheers

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Feather blades all the way for my bristle :) - can be lethal on the first couple of shaves so I try to take it easy.

Currently using the Feather ASD2 razor which works very nicely with the blades - also have a built my own - a Ikon head with a US heavyweight handle by Above the Tie - works a treat when I have not bothered to shave for a few days.

Been using them for years now - never looked back and I think I am still working through the first bulk buy of blades I did. Cheap feather blades can be got from ebay - sellers are in Thailand but seem pretty reliable and cheap :)

I did try a straight razor for a while but that was just too much hassle with the stroping etc etc - that and the fact it felt like one slip would end it all !

cheers

Matt
    Very nice choice of razors, I've been lusting after the ASD for a while, I use a Stainless Steel handle with some different heads as well, really can change the way a razor feels.

I've been using an Edwin Jagger Chatsworth* for about seven years now. I bought a 100 ct. pack of Persona blades and a 100 ct. pack of Zorrik blades off Ebay (the Personas are nicer). Each package set me back about $7.50 (£5?). I use a blade for about a month before changing, so I figure I have enough blades to last me until I'm about 70.

*FWIW, The Edwin Jagger uses a standard Merkur head. I leave my razor in the shower so the chrome plating is subjected to corrosive soap scum. I kept looking at the head and noticing that it appeared very similar to the Merkur. I finally ordered a Merkur from Ebay after the Jagger's head got a little to flaky. Perfect match. I really just want that lovely ivory handle anyway, so it's good to know I can occasionally replace the head when the need arises.

Current faves are my vintage Slim or Progress. I tend to stick with Gillette greens for blades. Slants we great fun and very efficient, I seem to fall in and out of favour with mine.
    If you want an inexpensive cream try Palmolive. It's about a £2 from Superdrug or. One of those cheep chemisty sort of places.

Craftsman
    I have been using a Merkur Slant bar and what ever blades feather to now Astra Super Plat, all very good and no blood bath. Just make sure when you screw the blade down is parallel and square to the edge. Dont worry about the twist in the bar, I thought mine had been bent by the postie! Last week, I picked up a gillette aristocrat #21, so the slant bar is now resigned, good razor though. Someone is welcome to try it.

Master
    While the razor, blades and cream are important don't forget to pay some attention to the brush you get, whether badger, boar, horse or synthetic there are various shapes, bristle stiffness and grades that can make all the difference when combined with your lathering technique.
    I use a boar / badger mix from vulfix that suits me far better than a pure badger i inherited although the sterling silver handle on the badger is more attractive and it has sentimental attachment i very rarely use it.

I used a Merkur Futur for around 5 years and recently used a Feather ASD2 for around 6 months. I have also dabbled with a Gillette Fatboy. Personally I found the Futur with Israeli blades gave me the best shave. It was my first DE and whilst not the most forgiving of razors, I adapted and learnt quickly. The ASD2 is a beautifully engineered razor and I used it with Feather blades. I found it less aggressive than the Futur but couldn't get BBS the way I could with the Futur. From what I've read the Feather needs to be held at a slightly different angle to other razors and I perhaps didn't always get that right. I never really got on with the Fatboy but I didn't shave with it enough to give it a fair go.

Currently I've moved back to using straights and all the fun/fear that that brings.

For someone new to DE shaving, there are plenty of good quality new razors available for under £30 which isn't too bad considering they last a lifetime and is substantially cheaper than the 5 blade cartridge nonsense being sold.

Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    I have been using an Edwin Jagger 89 for about 8 months now and love the DE shaving experience.

I'm now looking for something 'higher' end and have been researching the Feather AS-D2. I want something new but will be around for many years to come, so stainless would be my preference. Does anyone own one and have any feedback?
    I bought a Feather AS-D2 a month ago. Using it with Persona blades. The razor is absolutely worth every penny. Not a single Nick yet and really smooth. Maybe too easygoing on those with more Desperate Dan visages

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by johnthemull View Post
    I bought a Feather AS-D2 a month ago. Using it with Persona blades. The razor is absolutely worth every penny. Not a single Nick yet and really smooth. Maybe too easygoing on those with more Desperate Dan visages
    Where did you get the razor from John?

Master
    You lot give me all these silly ideas... Anyway, never used DE before and after some homework I've bought a Gillette Fat Boy (1959..apparently the best year)

So what do I need now...what soap, sort of forgiving blades, brush ...where to get it from?
    Cheers,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by michalko82 View Post
    You lot give me all these silly ideas... Anyway, never used DE before and after some homework I've bought a Gillette Fat Boy (1959..apparently the best year)

So what do I need now...what soap, sort of forgiving blades, brush ...where to get it from?
    Cheers,
    Mike
    You're off to a great start, the Fatboy is an iconic design and a great shaver (so long as it's not had it's tolerances whacked out of shape).

I recommend getting a blade sample pack from Connaught shaving. The best blade will depend on your type of stubble and technique so it's worth trying a few but Astra's are pretty good. Derbys are almost universally regarded as being shite. Connaught have a great range of creams and soaps too. Creams are generally easier for beginners to whip up a lather with. Give it a go and report back!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    The EJ89 is my goto DE though I do prefer the 1912 SE.
    +1 for the EJ 89.

Have you searched for the DE razor thread on hotkdeals?

They have tons of good advice and a good for picking out the deals on razor and blades.

Brush wise, I have a Kent badger and used for a few years. Its a real treat to use.

Another vote for the Merkur Futur with feather blades. Once I got the hang of it, I get a great shave.

Quote Originally Posted by diver527 View Post
    Where did you get the razor from John?
    Irish company called www.shaving.ie
    Very good price and service.
    Tried the feather blades they dropped in free gratis. Best shave I have had!

I have recently tried the DE experience for the first time & shaving is a pleasure as it feels like a skill/artform that I am trying to master. I am using an EJ 3D diamond with Derby blades and EJ sandlewood shaving cream. Very impressed so far although as expected I am giving myself the odd nic and my chin seems to be an issue for razor burn.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    I have recently tried the DE experience for the first time & shaving is a pleasure as it feels like a skill/artform that I am trying to master. I am using an EJ 3D diamond with Derby blades and EJ sandlewood shaving cream. Very impressed so far although as expected I am giving myself the odd nic and my chin seems to be an issue for razor burn.
    Hunt out a decent alum block (not just a stick) as apparently they are good to reduce the burn.

Probably worth showering before shaving to give your skin time to soften/warm up

Derby blades are often the freebies sent with a new razor. Try a mixed sample pack off eBay or somewhere else and see what best suits your skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Hunt out a decent alum block (not just a stick) as apparently they are good to reduce the burn.

Probably worth showering before shaving to give your skin time to soften/warm up

Derby blades are often the freebies sent with a new razor. Try a mixed sample pack off eBay or somewhere else and see what best suits your skin.
    Cheers for that I had wondered about an alum block even though I don't bleed that much from the nics. I do make sure I shower before I shave but maybe I wait too long after coming out before I actually start to shave.

A quick one,

I tried the dreaded Feathers tonight.

No looking back here; what a great shave, using a Muhle R41 with Body Shop Maca Root cream

I just want to point out to guys here who are not convinced about DE shaving; 2 years supply of the highly respected feather blades will cost you about £40...

No looking back.

I only use Feather blades these days, having experimented with various others. Again, after trying a few razors I bought a Feather AS-DE and stopped messing around.

I don't use a Feather blade for more than three shaves. They have a third ultra sharp hone, and three shaves is about their limit. I bought a pack of 200 blades through an American eBay seller, so I'm not too worried about running out.

Creams from Truefitt and Hill or TOBS. Nothing else required.

This thread is giving me coffee grinder syndrome.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    I quite like the Gillette 7 O'Clock standard blades.
    So do I. Down to my last one too.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to buy?

I've been DE shaving for around 8 years now. I 3 Merkurs ,34c , Vision and Future as well as an Edwin Jagger. I have had classic Gillettes in the past.

The razor I have used the most and would recommend is the 34c. really good weight, easy to use and gives a great shave.

I hate Feather blades and use Derby ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    So do I. Down to my last one too.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to buy?
    I always use Connaught... very good service too...

http://connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html

Rod

Also try the thailand sellers on eBay for feather blades crazy cheap so easy to stock up for years

I have just found a ikon razor in my wardrobe... And I have have just joined the kick starter for Thomas clipper so another new razor and bowl/brush will be with me soon.

oh and check out here if you want a great bit of pottery to mix your cream in,

http://stevewoodheadceramics.co.uk/i...ving-bowl.html

I got my blue shaving bowl from them a couple of weeks ago and am happy with it as its comfortable to hold and does create a good lather.

+1 for Feathers so far. Those Derby ones are horrible but I have yet to try to Wilkinson Sword ones I got as a freebie from The Shave Shack.

Craftsman
    Also try the thailand sellers on eBay for feather blades crazy cheap so easy to stock up for years

I have just found a ikon razor in my wardrobe... And I have have just joined the kick starter for Thomas clipper so another new razor and bowl/brush will be with me soon.

and don't forget a decent brush
    http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/

good value and the best brushes I've ever used

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    and don't forget a decent brush
    http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/

good value and the best brushes I've ever used
    Sadly no longer available...

New Forest Brushes - the last post!
    All our brushes were sold out on 4 July 2015. The business is now closed. We wish all our customers many satisfying shaves in the years ahead!

Thank you all for your support.

Dad gave me his Rolls single blade razor on Friday, oh what excitement awaits

Isn't about time you guys went straight ;) LOL

Sod that for a bunch of coconuts

Craftsman
    Lol de is my limit! Straight is another level!! I'd love to but far too concerned about cutting my head off lol

Craftsman
    Out of interest do you have to spend hours sharpening them?? Least with the DE you can pick up and go.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Lol de is my limit! Straight is another level!! I'd love to but far too concerned about cutting my head off lol
    That's what I thought, however I've just put my name on the waiting list for a Mongoose razor!
    It's, I think, a happy medium (in my mind at least) between DE and straight.

Check this out:

Massive head but looking forward to getting one and giving it a whirl. Though I'll go with the slimmer handle.....
    Last edited by Thorien; 8th July 2015 at 18:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal666 View Post
    Out of interest do you have to spend hours sharpening them?? Least with the DE you can pick up and go.
    The DE is now the one I use the every day I even have one at work, but the others normally
    every 3 months or so and doesn't take long . The stainless steel one is a real bugger to get a edge
    but once you have it it stays true