closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Sorting my Porsche 914 - jobs to do...

Blog Entries

Sorting my Porsche 914 - jobs to do...

Right... I spotted it last Wednesday, so time to address this job right away. Rust under the rubber on the driver's door. I took out the door and with the help of a grinder, a small drill and a bar stool at the workbench (more comfortable than standing...) this is the result so far.

I removed the rubber and drilled the welds, trying to safe the strip from being scrapped. You can see the result thus far. The holes aren't big, they can be welded in. The long thin strip is another story. I'm still thinking how to replace this. A new one is not for sale, I think. Making my own is an option, but it's pretty difficult because it's L shaped and curved. Welding a new strip on the door is perhaps another option. That case I have to fabricate my own; it's not a separate item in the 914's parts catalog, so it's not available off the shelf. Porsche has the parts catalogs for their old(er) models on it's website! How's that for taking care of owners with an old Porsche!

Things look good until now! After welding in the small pieces and fabricating a strip, I'll prime the door for a small respray later on. Later this week I will remove the outer sills / 'rockers' in USA-language and see what's behind these. I've seen lots of horror pics, but I'm hoping for the best, since the whole car is in a far better state that one would expect after 42 years.

When the Jag is off the two post ramp, I will drop the engine and have a look inside the engine bay. There's one spot, lovingly called the 'Hell Hole', under the battery tray... Well, most fear that spot: often battery acid will drip down on that corners, corroding the whole metal structure there. But this car was stored for 17 yrs without a battery... Fingers crossed!

Menno

Menno

Some pics

Last edited by thieuster; 5th April 2015 at 18:12.

looking good there well done! I would suggest making a straight strip with the angle folded and longer than req, For the bends by snipping Vees out of the base part it should pull round the corners, Whilst carefully brazing, as nec, any of these these V cuts that show( after finishing would be covered by the rubber) Also may be poss to find something in the scrap yard to match the strip profile I seem to remember a common car with similar , If I were doing it I would cut the showing rust holes a bit bigger and braze ( less heat and does not rust again for a while) small overlapping plates fitted behind, This should eliminate any thin area round hole, Keep us up to date.,

What a project..good luck!

Awesome vehicle!

Some handy tips for you, just in case you're struggling.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Retro fitting airbags?

Next job, lubricating the big end.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez