closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Observers Watch Cal. 52 T-19 "'H 6 SC

IWC Observers Watch Cal. 52 T-19 "'H 6 SC

Came in the post this morning, I'm quite pleased, as it seems original and not messed around with.
    A not yet emerged in IWC Circles B-Uhr. Everything still original, including original leather strap and scratch on the dust cover ;-)

I don't think there is anything I could add to the description that the just deceased Jürgen King has not already said !
    Here again for those who do not yet know its description.

Military watches of the German Air Force:
    IWC Observers Watch Cal. 52

Data for large pilot watch
    Jürgen King IWC, April 2001

1940 1200 pieces caliber 52 T-19 "'H 6 SC was among the serial numbers 1013801 to 1015000 = made.

52 T = factory construction with tirette (pointer position by train via crown)
    19 "'= default password diameter in the herd book of the Pilot's Watch appears 19/22' '.
    The diameter was increased by a corresponding movement holder from19' 'to 22'.
    H6 = movement height in mm (6 mm) S. C. = = Second central sweep second

1940 1000 pieces large aviator watches delivered under the housing numbers 1033201-1034200 Siegfried Heinsdorf Berlin

Movement:
    52 caliber base expanded to center second as caliber 52 SC, indirect seconds drive with brake spring on the second drive, 16 jewels swan-neck fine adjustment cut Bimetal balance with weights and adjustment screws, Breguet, Swiss lever escapement, blasted and gold plate and bridges as well as work ring. hands positioned with crown, movement signed, visible winding gear and ratchet with IWC and movement number.

Technical Specifications:
    Case diameter: 55,00 mm, on ABOUT: 67.00 mm Case height over glass: 17.50 mm, diameter of the crown. No. 68, 12.70 mm, visible dial diameter; 49 mm Dial: metal 0.90 mm thick, minute track printed with five minutes strokes in tritium (radium) Arabic hour display at 12 clock, triangle with two points in tritium (radium), pointers: seconds, minutes and hours indicator in blued steel with tritium (radium ) proves Strap: (long version) with double loop closure strap with buckle and held on spring bar with 2 rivets. Inside cover: stainless steel Surface: stainless steel with the following marking: B-clock construction: IWC factory Anforderz No .: FL 23883, Stainless Steel IWC Probusstempel, case number.. Ground outside: Case Number partly an imprint in the octagon BA 2690 Housing Body: lateral engraved FL 23883

Now to the pictures taken today.

Jimmy
    Last edited by Geronimo; 5th April 2015 at 10:31.

Jimmy,

That is a seriously lovely watch. No need to talk about rare and desirable... that goes without saying. I wasn't aware that you were in the market for one of these, or was it something which just came up?

Of course, if you ever need to move it on then you know who to contact, right... mate...? ;-)

Congratulations.

All the best.

-flugzeit
    Last edited by flugzeit; 2nd April 2015 at 14:13.

It was a suprisingly quick deal, the watch surfaced last week on MWR, I got in touch with the seller, agreed to the deal and he sent it out on Sunday!

I'll think of you when I'm in need of a bit of petty cash... :-)

Jimmy

Just wow! Great addition to your awesome collection, Jimmy. I've said it before, but you do manage to find some fantastic pieces. Congratulations.
    Cheers,
    Ross

Master
    Very cool and Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Master
    that's a museum piece - amazing!

That is a amazing object, I have been lucky to have handled one of these and it was fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    That is a amazing object, I have been lucky to have handled one of these and it was fantastic.
    What would you have said if you had to handle all of them together, as in my group shot, whereby two Stowa's are still at the cleaners, (my watchmaker)? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo View Post
    What would you have said if you had to handle all of them together, as in my group shot, whereby two Stowa's are still at the cleaners, (my watchmaker)? :-)

Very nice, I got to handle the IWC with a Stowa, and A Lange Sohne versions. They were very cool and the owner very kind to show me them, have pictures somewhere.

Great post thanks for sharing!

Nice watch, love the crown

Perfect, just perfect.

I am deeply in love with the look of that strap, and this is by far the more elegant dial type for B-Uhrs.

Great stuff, well found

Dave

Seriously lovely.

I know it is wonderful and original, but have you thought about getting the movement serviced to halt the corrosion that has already started?
    Last edited by dom_; 10th April 2015 at 20:32.

Hi dom_
    those were my thoughts when I first saw the watch, it obviously hasn't been serviced in a long while, which is what is going to happen next :-)
    ...but it was the unaltered and adultered appearance that attracted my attention in the first place!
    A nice clean and oil change, and it should be ok again after that.

Cheers

Jimmy

Hi dom_
    those were my thoughts when I first saw the watch, it obviously hasn't been serviced in a long while, which is what is going to happen next :-)
    ...but it was the unaltered and adultered appearance that attracted my attention in the first place!
    A nice clean and oil change, and it should be ok again after that.

Cheers

Jimmy
    Yes just select your repairer carefully, you can stabilise it without changing the look of the plates other than brightening them. It would be terrible to see them re-gilded or something like that. I would suspect pivots would need close checking too and a balance that size I would re--burnish it too.

Any qualified watchmaker can service these, they are basically a Cal 52 Pocketwatch movement, with just the centre second wheel added. My watchmaker has serviced dozens of my pocketwatches, I have complete trust in him.
    ...But...as always on my vintage military watches, as little as possible, as much as necessary!
    Last edited by Geronimo; 11th April 2015 at 13:30.

Any qualified watchmaker can service these, they are basically a Cal 52 Pocketwatch movement, with just the centre second wheel added. My watchmaker has serviced dozens of my pocketwatches, I have complete trust in him.
    ...But...as always on my vintage military watches, as little as possible, as much as necessary!
    No problem, I am a watchmaker and well aware of it being a pocket watch movement.

I only mentioned being careful as most repairers will just dump this in the automatic cleaning machine with ultrasonic action. I would never ultrasonic plates this old. The burnishing comes from the signs of corrosion, I would assume some of the pivots will show this too and require finishing to remove.

As you say it is only doing what is required to keep it as it is not make it like new. Pivots left pitted will keep rusting, burnished pivots will not allow moisture to form on the pivots and stop any further corrosion. But this is all guessing as they may be perfect.
    If you trust someone then keep using them.

Quote Originally Posted by dom_ View Post
    I only mentioned being careful as most repairers will just dump this in the automatic cleaning machine with ultrasonic action.
    ...And my watchmaker knows me, I would chop his hands off, if he did the same

Crazy IWC B-Uhr
    Geronimo your collection is very nice!

Wow, what a fantastic find. Congratulations!