closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PS3 replacement?

PS3 replacement?

When my PS3 dies - I'm trying to think what can replace it as an all-in-one media centre (never play games on it) - is there anything that is (as an all-in-one):

* A PVR
    * Bluray player
    * Media centre for streaming media
    * Allows you to play both Netflixs and Amazon Prime

Honestly, the PS4 is probably the closest thing I can recommend. Its still the best Blu-Ray player on the market with everything else to boot. A PC built for home cinema use will set you back around the same amount if you build it yourself - more versatile, but lower on the "home cinema experience".

Master
    Yep - it's called a PS4!

I didn't think the PS4 recorded TV?

Doesn't have a dlna player either.

Craftsman
    Same dilemma. I've got 3 in the house used primarily as DLNA media players from a 2tb NAS. The PS4 for some strange reason doesn't have the same media capabilities as the PS3 so the options as I see it are: 1. Buy another PS3... 2. Jailbreak either one of those amazon or Apple streamers as I've seen lots of people use these successfully with the Amazon one being the best but these of course don't have blueray players onboard. 3. Xbox??? The old one supported dlna but not sure about the new models? 4. Sony produce a media player. Basically as playstation without the gaming capabilities. Might be worth checking this out.

Good luck!

An old PC or laptop? (you may need to upgrade the optical drive though)

Master
    I have a Sony media centre PC that does all that I think but they don't make them any more. For some reason they never caught on, I guess cost was a factor as they were not cheap.

Craftsman
    PS4 is natural choice
    but I d rather lean toward PC, more versatile.
    U may use it as central server for all home DNLA equipment, stream from it or external HDs -files, streamings both TV and PVR

Craftsman
    The problem is that the PS3 was just perfect as a media centre as it had both blueray and dlna for streaming. They've made a major mistake with the PS4 imo. I won't buy one and even my 9 year old son doesn't want one purely because as well as playing games, he also likes to watch movies on it via dlna. Such a shame.

Master
    I'm toying with building a media pc from the new Intel NUC's. One with a I3 processor and 4Gb ram and 12Gb ssd is around £300 in os but would need to add an external blu ray drive and tv tuner to get what you want.

Also to run netflix and Amazon I belive the is has to be windows or Mac os which might impact the ease of use.

When you look at these factors I have to ask the question is another PS3 the right response?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    The problem is that the PS3 was just perfect as a media centre as it had both blueray and dlna for streaming. They've made a major mistake with the PS4 imo. I won't buy one and even my 9 year old son doesn't want one purely because as well as playing games, he also likes to watch movies on it via dlna. Such a shame.
    Cynical me says why have the dnla in it when we can sell you an updated tv with a better smart experience.....

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Also to run netflix and Amazon I belive the is has to be windows or Mac os which might impact the ease of use.
    Indeed - Linux support for Iplayer disappeared some time ago. Obviously it's difficult to forecast how Microsoft will charge for Windows 10 but it may be worth getting on the technical preview programme - I did this for Windows 8 and the cost of the upgrade was much cheaper than if I'd had to buy the full version from scratch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Indeed - Linux support for Iplayer disappeared some time ago. Obviously it's difficult to forecast how Microsoft will charge for Windows 10 but it may be worth getting on the technical preview programme - I did this for Windows 8 and the cost of the upgrade was much cheaper than if I'd had to buy the full version from scratch.
    I was planning on windows 7 pro for about £30 imho media devices are more about stability than having the latest os

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I was planning on windows 7 pro for about £30 imho media devices are more about stability than having the latest os
    That's a very good point - I've just been pleased how Windows appears to be able to do more with less these days - a far cry from Vista. Windows 10 is flying on the 8 year old laptop I have it installed on though I appreciate that it will slow down as the release (and the updates) develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    The PS4 for some strange reason doesn't have the same media capabilities as the PS3
    It will do soon(ish).

Sony have said that that the PS4 will get a DLNA firmware update some time 'early 2015'.

One option with the PS4 is to use Plex. You have to have a paid account but it does exactly the same as DLNA.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/18...r-without-dlna

The XBox One supports DLNA now as well as Plex. It also supports 2D and 3D Blu Ray:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/15/60...na-mkv-support